Authentic vs. Bootleg (also, seam or no-seam?)

kiwixstyle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Ok, I got some questions here. I picked up a bunch of GBA and DS games in the last couple of months (all brand new) and noticed something different between specific titles I owned in terms of the packaging. I have a Castlevania Circle of the Moon that I bought 'brand new' which does not have a white insert cartridge-holder inside the box. Instead, it has this little pocket that houses the game (covered with the plastic wrap of course) near the top, a game manual, and a Precautions Booklet.

Now I also picked up Mega Man Zero 4 at Target around X-Mas time last year for like $5 and it is the same scenario as CoM.

Was this just something that happened to later productions of the games? Are these games still legitimate originals? I mean, I checked each cart for the 'Nintendo' logo along the inside pins, and sure enough they were there. But my concern is that the boxes are rather light. Also, did every single factory-sealed GBA game necessarily contain the infamous "horizontal seam," or was this just perhaps something reserved for first-run prints.

Thanks to everyone in advance!!

[quote name='kiwixstyle']Ok, I got some questions here. I picked up a bunch of GBA and DS games in the last couple of months (all brand new) and noticed something different between specific titles I owned in terms of the packaging. I have a Castlevania Circle of the Moon that I bought 'brand new' which does not have a white insert cartridge-holder inside the box. Instead, it has this little pocket that houses the game (covered with the plastic wrap of course) near the top, a game manual, and a Precautions Booklet.

Now I also picked up Mega Man Zero 4 at Target around X-Mas time last year for like $5 and it is the same scenario as CoM.

Was this just something that happened to later productions of the games? Are these games still legitimate originals? I mean, I checked each cart for the 'Nintendo' logo along the inside pins, and sure enough they were there. But my concern is that the boxes are rather light. Also, did every single factory-sealed GBA game necessarily contain the infamous "horizontal seam," or was this just perhaps something reserved for first-run prints.

Thanks to everyone in advance!![/quote]

Early GBA Games had the little pocket in the box. The boxes were easy to crush so production changed to a white insert cartridge holder.

Don't worry, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Donald Duck Advance, and Cruis'n Velocity all had the little pocket built inside the box.

Some newer games do this too. Castlevania: Double Pack, for example.

In any case, I actually prefer that style; I find it easier to get to everything.

This is normal, don't worry about it, it just depends on the type of packaging the manufacturer uses.

Again the shrinkwrap is the same thing, not every game contains the horizontal line, but all first party gba games by Nintendo should have the line, even though I am not sure about this one either.

You really have nothing to worry about unless the game does not have the edge connector printing, differences in boxes and shrinkwrap styles can vary by game, nothing to get up in arms over.

bread's done
Back