AZTAKA & MINER WARS : PAY WHAT YOU WANT (+ Music Bundle)

volt1up

CAGiversary!
Feedback
214 (100%)
via Joystiq but I didnt see it posted.
The Giving Game + Music Bundle is an exclusive YAWMA Pay What You Want promotion,
combining a killer Indie Game and a great Indie Album, all in support of musicians,
game developers and charity.

http://groupees.yawma.net/gr8

Day 7
AZTAKA & MINER WARS: 2081
Aztaka is an indie throwback to the good old side-scrolling action RPG genre. Miner Wars is a 6DOF underground and space shooter played in a fully destructible environment and is a combination of single player story game and MMO. Miner Wars is a pre-Alpha release--you'll get the full version when it's released Summer 2011. Aztaka and Miner Wars are both PC Only.

You can also gift copies and links are valid indefinitely (according to their support person)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, can anyone help. I downloaded the max and the magic marker but all it is is some file. I try to open it and nothing. Am I supposed to play it in some special client or something?

Nevermind. If anyone else is having the same problem just put .EXE at the end

[quote name='volt1up']Yeah you can unfortunately[/QUOTE]Why the "unfortunately?"

If someone felt that the game was worth $0 and downloaded it, I see nothing wrong with that. However, if someone felt the game was worth $5 and downloaded it for free, that is wrong.

have to admit i downloaded for free. put $0.00 in the donation box. i bookmarked the page though, if i like the game and/or album, i'll donate some money in the donate more box.

They seem to be cool about you be able to get it for free. "Just enter 0 and the game is yours." So why not? Do I really have to feel bad about getting a free game and album that I have no idea whether or not I will like? The game doesn't get really good review scores anyway. If we get it for free and end up loving it we can always donate later, right? No harm. I can see paying for the Humble Bundle. But this is just 1 game and it gets a 6/10 on average from press all around the web. This is not piracy. It's not stealing. It's encouraged!

Not piracy, not stealing, just not so nice.

I mean it is for charity right? Same deal as with the HIB, and it's not like it costs them nothing to do this, they can very easily be losing money in hosting costs if nothing else.

[quote name='volt1up']Not piracy, not stealing, just not so nice.

I mean it is for charity right? Same deal as with the HIB, and it's not like it costs them nothing to do this, they can very easily be losing money in hosting costs if nothing else.[/QUOTE]

I donate to several charities regularly. Excuse me for taking advantage of a free game. And like I said, if I play this and enjoy it, i'll late go back and donate. Holy ass, some people get their undies in a bundle.

Well then I guess they shouldn't say "If you want the game for free, GO AHEAD." It's just a two day deal. Not like they're gonna be losing out on profit for the other 363 days. At any rate, I can't get the damn thing to install anyway. lol

[quote name='Drclaw411']I donate to several charities regularly. Excuse me for taking advantage of a free game. And like I said, if I play this and enjoy it, i'll late go back and donate. Holy ass, some people get their undies in a bundle.[/QUOTE]

Donate or die.

[quote name='volt1up']
I mean it is for charity right? [/QUOTE]If it were really for charity, why wouldn't you just take whatever money you would spend on this game and donate 100% of the proceeds to Child's Play?

"XX% of the proceeds will be donated to charity." is a marketing tactic. Firms are basically making a gamble that the 25% that ends up being donated to charity is less than the increase in sales due to people feeling better about their purchase since it has something to do with a charity. Also, I wonder if they are allowed to deduct those proceeds and lower their tax liability. If true, why wouldn't you donate in your name and lower your tax liability instead? I could never get a straight answer about this.

I'm dubious of "some proceeds will go to charity" as well as this "pay what you want" nonsense. All it does it make a mockery of the price system. The demand for your product at a price of zero dollars is not zero. And when these "pay what you want" things don't work as intended, people are surprised that the "experiment" distorted prices and incentives. Give me a break.

To each his own. I just thought it was a cool idea for a PWYW pack, and I hope they see success so they have enough incentive to do this again in the future.

[quote name='volt1up']To each his own. I just thought it was a cool idea for a PWYW pack, and I hope they see success so they have enough incentive to do this again in the future.[/QUOTE]

Haha, don't feel bad. I'm just an economist with a chip on his shoulder.

Donated $2 and I plan to donate a bit more for the other two bundles. I don't know why they have us download the albums song by song instead having it in a single file :roll:

Max & The Magic Marker reminds of Crayon Physics, I haven't played it yet but the gameplay video they have on there is really similar in style

I'm all for getting a deal, but I see no reason why you wouldn't donate a few bucks for the game if you wanted to download it. Its not like they're even asking for anything, but its just mean to not pay anything at all.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']Max & The Magic Marker reminds of Crayon Physics, I haven't played it yet but the gameplay video they have on there is really similar in style[/QUOTE]

When I showed my husband the trailer for Max and the Magic Marker, he was like, "Are that and Crayon Physics made by the same people?" Because seriously, they really look alike, as far as the things you doodle to complete the stages.

So basically if this were Earthbound...you'd take this set of banana and egg, pay whatever/nothing, and if it's the latter you get attacked by some unassuming local guy who gives you a guilt trip speech after you kill him.

Gotcha. ^^b

[quote name='rockstarnati']They seem to be cool about you be able to get it for free. "Just enter 0 and the game is yours." So why not? Do I really have to feel bad about getting a free game and album that I have no idea whether or not I will like? The game doesn't get really good review scores anyway. If we get it for free and end up loving it we can always donate later, right? No harm. I can see paying for the Humble Bundle. But this is just 1 game and it gets a 6/10 on average from press all around the web. This is not piracy. It's not stealing. It's encouraged![/QUOTE]

I'm not sure where you're getting your statistics. GameRankings has an average of almost 77%.

Everyone seems to like the game.

I have it for the Wii already, but my save got borked. I also have it for my phone, so I don't know that I need the PC version, but I may pick it up since it's such a good deal. I still wouldn't take it for free, though.

[quote name='LazyTriangle']I don't know why they have us download the albums song by song instead having it in a single file :roll:
[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is extremely obnoxious of them.

I'm actually loving these "Pay what you want" things lately for charity. It makes cheap (ass) gamers actually dip into their pockets and pay a little more for a good cause. I've bought both the Humble Bundle 2 and this Beat Hazard bundle because they let me name my price and donate some to charity. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought these games.

This Feed the Animals album is pretty fucking tight. Definitely worth some money by itself. Got to remember to toss this into Beat Hazard sometime.

Wow, I really, really dig Feed the Animals. I already owned Beat Hazard from the Steam indie promo a few weeks ago but I still went in and donated $10 for the cause. I will probably bite on the Black Moth promo when it launches; I've never listened to them before but it seems like an okay album worth a donation.

Cool promo overall; here's hoping there's more like this in the future!

Edit: Anyone else download the tracks? I'm only getting track names in the ID3 tags; not artist name or even bitrate.

If you are going to download for free, just pirate it. Then, if you like it, give some money to the devs. At least you won't be taking up their bandwidth.

Both album and game are solid. The GT albums are great but his live shows are better. Finding the mixes out there is worth it because the sets are awesome (longer trasnitions, big builds, etc...)

Here's the latest album (and it's intentionally free suckas)!

http://illegal-art.net/allday/

Thanks for the heads-up on that, marcand! I'm downloading the album right now.

P.S. Cool Amiga logo :) My Amiga 500 is in storage but one day I'll have to boot it up and play Turrican the original way like in the old days, hehe!

bread's done
Back