B&N 1/2 off Criterion plus $5 coupon

[quote name='D_Icon']Wages of Fear is the only movie I was after, my nearest B&N sold it before I got there.

You guys have any recommendations? I'm into all movies except comedies and I could do without the Samurai action movies.[/QUOTE]

Videodrome
Naked Lunch
Man Bites Dog
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

if I cant list any comedies..I recommend those. Though Fear and Loathing can be argued to be a comedy.

Further abuse of B&N for those interested:

Right now they have a promotion going on where if you buy $100 worth of gift cards, you get an extra $10 in gift cards that will be activated after 12/26. So, if you know you're going to be buying a fair amount of Criterion DVDs, you can buy gift cards in $100 increments, use those cards to pay for all of the DVDs you're buying in this sale, and then get more gift cards once Christmas is over.

Also, I must say that I am impressed with B&N's stock levels on Criterion DVDs. They really beefed up their selection since the last time I looked.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']
if I cant list any comedies..I recommend those. Though Fear and Loathing can be argued to be a comedy.[/QUOTE]

Fear and Loathing is amazing, and I can't believe I left it off of my list (and I own it!)

Solaris could be another good choice... while I prefer the American remake (I know, I know...), there are many who swear by this film as being a classic sci-fi masterpiece. For me... I think it's about an hour too long.

Oh, and The Vanishing... holy crap. It makes me want to dig my nails into my skin, the ending is so disturbing. If you're into thrillers/terror, then you can't go wrong with this.

Along with those mentioned, here's some movies I recommend:

-Floating Weeds (by Ozu) - Actually two movies in one. One of the few movies with commentary by Ebert.
-Le Notti di Cabiria - wonderful Fellini film. My second fav besides 8 1/2
-M
-The Spirit of the Beehive

Last edited by a moderator:
How reliable is B&N's stock checker? I want to get The Third Man in stores but I don't want to make a trip to a store that shows in stock online only to have it unavailable.

Additionally, say I do set it up to be picked up, are my chances good for them to adjust the price in store?

[quote name='Azumangaman']Get The Third Man while there is still stock![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info -- I had put off getting that one in the last sale, guess I'll have to grab it this time around. Just put in a reservation request for that and Wings of Desire at what is surprisingly the only store in my area (metro DC, so there are lots of B&N stores) that has Wings of Desire in stock. Guess I'll be taking a drive tomorrow.

[quote name='ssjmichael']How reliable is B&N's stock checker? I want to get The Third Man in stores but I don't want to make a trip to a store that shows in stock online only to have it unavailable.

Additionally, say I do set it up to be picked up, are my chances good for them to adjust the price in store?[/QUOTE]

You don't actually pay for it when you put in the reservation request, they ring it up in the store. So it'll ring up at the store's price (which should be the sale), not the website price. From my experience their online stock info is pretty accurate, but it can't hurt to reserve it beforehand if it's a significant trip out of your way.

[quote name='lolwut?']Has anyone been turned down on multiple coupons?[/QUOTE]

I did not get turned down, and they even were applied to the same transaction.
The associate rang up my two Blu-Rays and then I asked him about the coupons. He checked it over and said sure. I then double checked saying that it does say "$20 and up" on it, and he says "Ah, what the heck. This is going to be a sick deal!"
I guess it would still be YMMV, but I haven't seen it not work.

Most likely, I'll be going back in tomorrow to pick up a couple I wanted to consider first, and plan on using two coupons again at the same store. If I run into any issues, I'll let you know.

=

On another note. I'm curious as to why everyone is buying the DVDs? I understand not all titles are on BR, but why not just wait for those instead? Do those buying them play them upscaled on an HDTV –how do they look?
I actually haven't purchased an HDTV yet (waiting for a model to become available), but I've been loading up on Blu's for when the time comes. There are a couple titles that I wouldn't mind on DVD, but I have a hard time buying those anymore.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']I did not get turned down, and they even were applied to the same transaction.
The associate rang up my two Blu-Rays and then I asked him about the coupons. He checked it over and said sure. I then double checked saying that it does say "$20 and up" on it, and he says "Ah, what the heck. This is going to be a sick deal!"
I guess it would still be YMMV, but I haven't seen it not work.

Most likely, I'll be going back in tomorrow to pick up a couple I wanted to consider first, and plan on using two coupons again at the same store. If I run into any issues, I'll let you know.

=

On another note. I'm curious as to why everyone is buying the DVDs? I understand not all titles are on BR, but why not just wait for those instead? Do those buying them play them upscaled on an HDTV –how do they look?
I actually haven't purchased an HDTV yet (waiting for a model to become available), but I've been loading up on Blu's for when the time comes. There are a couple titles that I wouldn't mind on DVD, but I have a hard time buying those anymore.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure many people still havent upgraded to blu. And even still if they have a bluray player..they probably still buy a ton of dvds. I have a ps3 and havent bought a single blu yet..though I dont have an hdtv..so thats the big factor..plus dvds are much cheaper, and I don't find there to be huge upset watching a dvd over a blu.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']I'm sure many people still havent upgraded to blu. And even still if they have a bluray player..they probably still buy a ton of dvds. I have a ps3 and havent bought a single blu yet..though I dont have an hdtv..so thats the big factor..plus dvds are much cheaper, and I don't find there to be huge upset watching a dvd over a blu.[/QUOTE]

If you don't have an HDTV, then sure, you're not going to notice that much of a difference. Upgrade your TV, and you'll find the difference will be huge.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']
On another note. I'm curious as to why everyone is buying the DVDs? I understand not all titles are on BR, but why not just wait for those instead? Do those buying them play them upscaled on an HDTV –how do they look?[/QUOTE]

Plus, the chances that Criterion releases all their movies on BR is slim. I can't see them going back and putting everything out.

[quote name='arcane93']If you don't have an HDTV, then sure, you're not going to notice that much of a difference. Upgrade your TV, and you'll find the difference will be huge.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the obvious answer. I've watched blurays before on an hdtv, and I honestly don't see a huge difference. Sometimes its even worse..I don't need to see Nick Cage sweat more than he normally does.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']thanks for the obvious answer. I've watched blurays before on an hdtv, and I honestly don't see a huge difference. Sometimes its even worse..I don't need to see Nick Cage sweat more than he normally does.[/QUOTE]

Well, erm, what answer do you want, exactly? :whistle2:s

It depends on what movie you're watching (and the encoding, etc.), of course, but I think that the difference is pretty big, myself. We've been watching mostly blu-ray for a while now, and when we had to get a (big, fairly recent Hollywood blockbuster-type, obviously the difference is less noticeable with indie and older films) movie that we wanted to see on regular DVD the other week because it wasn't out on blu-ray yet, it looked terrible to me. To each their own, I guess.

i actually think blurays make older films look better. a brand new movie put out on dvd looks pretty clean. obviously the BR will look sharper but the clarity comes out on an older film which has not had a recent video transfer. check out the adventures of robin hood or even the thing and they look amazing in high def! the audio is definitely better on BR as well!

[quote name='munch']So you absolutely have to be a member for the $5 off coupon to work, right?[/QUOTE]

I'm like 90% sure you do. Anyways, I tried using a coupon on a regularly $29.99 criterion dvd today and the cashier wouldnt let me use it since the price after the 50% made it $15. She only let me use it on tthe $39.99 or higher criterions, and I only bought one title that was originally $39.99. The other 3 I bought today were originally $29.99. So, I dont really know if I would have had success using multiple coupons or not if I got all $39.99 titles.but I'm going to say probably not. The cashier looked over that coupon very carefully so she more than likely would have nitpicked the hell out of it. Still got 4 titles for like $57 with tax. Can't complain.

Picked up:

400 Blows $29.99
Last Temptation of Christ $39.99
2 or 3 Things I Know About Her $29.99
masculin feminin $29.99

I had my eye on a couple other Jean-Luc Godard films, but I didn't have any more cash on me for another title..so I'm hoping they are still there come next Friday. I had to take $50 out of my bank account today just to get those.

[quote name='munch']So you absolutely have to be a member for the $5 off coupon to work, right?[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt you'd get an employee that would use it without a card; it says right on the front that it's a membership coupon in large font.

Definitely YMMV on the coupons being used more than once. The store I had put movies on hold for would only let me use one which was very disappointing; I went with the Seventh Seal because I've been meaning to see that one.

The other store I went to did let me use multiples though; I was worried because it was an older woman and I figured she'd be pretty stern about policy, but she actually let me use 5 of 'em. She even let me come back and use one more, even though she said "I think it was supposed to be one per membership..."

Edit: I got the following:

El Norte
400 Blows
The Wages of Fear
Kagemusha
Chunking Express

The Seventh Seal

All were $13.48 with tax and coupon.

I'm going to try to go to another B&N before the coupons expire, and hopefully get Bottle Rocket, the Third Man, and Repulsion.

Just a heads-up. Criterion Blu Rays are now showing up with the 50% discount online. I was able to get a copy of The Third Man for 19.99 (before taxes) but now it's sold out.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Anyways, I tried using a coupon on a regularly $29.99 criterion dvd today and the cashier wouldnt let me use it since the price after the 50% made it $15. [/QUOTE]

She should have let you... the fine print specifically states that the $20 is based on the normal B&N price, before discounts.

BTW, that means that DVDs that are normally $30, magically become $8.50... sooo, good.

Also, I'm up to 12 Criterions purchased so far this sale... *shudders*

[quote name='zenintrude']She should have let you... the fine print specifically states that the $20 is based on the normal B&N price, before discounts.

BTW, that means that DVDs that are normally $30, magically become $8.50... sooo, good.

Also, I'm up to 12 Criterions purchased so far this sale... *shudders*[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it depends on the cashier how successful you are with the coupons.

[quote name='zenintrude']Also, I'm up to 12 Criterions purchased so far this sale... *shudders*[/QUOTE]

Haha… glag to hear. That means I haven't gone too crazy yet. I've got four, but saw two more earlier today that I'm already debating going back for, plus I want to snag Gomorrah during this sale, as soon as that's available.

I went back to BN and tried to use multiple coupons and got shot down. This cashier looked like he was on the straight-edge though. I'm betting other cashiers will definitely let you do it. So I just got Kagemusha and will pick up some stuff online.

I picked up Monterey Pop for $17 (I saw Jimi & Otis there too but eventual just left it). For some reason I thought this was the only way it was released on Blu, but now I see the Complete Monterey Pop Fest is available at a store nearby.

Would anyone suggest I return my MP for the Complete set? I passed on the J&O disc because I didn't feel it was strong enough to support it's own, but I wouldn't mind it with the set.

Also, something I noticed on the Jimi & Otis is it lists the original release dates as 1986 instead of 68 as the Monterey Pop disc says. Is this an error or were those shows put out much later?

[quote name='ssjmichael']So far BN's "Pick Me Up" has failed to find The Third Man at two stores now despite it saying "In Stock" at the site.[/QUOTE]
It's possible they're already on hold for other people. I went to one store that had sent me a reply saying they didn't have it, but the guy who worked there pulled out a reserved copy that had been on hold for 3 days already and sold it to me.

FYI-Amazon has matched most to pre-membership prices. If B&N lets you use coupons mult times they are still cheaper at B&N, but just FYI.

[quote name='digitalbabe']FYI-Amazon has matched most to pre-membership prices. If B&N lets you use coupons mult times they are still cheaper at B&N, but just FYI.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the heads-up! it looks like it's mostly the Blu rays that are 50% off

Picked up The Man Who Fell To Earth on Blu-Ray for $20. Best price I've seen on it since it released.

I've gone to two BNs and got

Kagemusha
Seventh Seal
Third Man
Howard's End
The Hit
Homicide

And they ordered Wings Of Desire for me which'll be in soon.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Good grief, another B&N coupon has arrived for 25% OFF one item.

Good luck trying to get the coupons to stack, but the 25% should come in handy for larger ticket items.[/QUOTE]

too bad it expires in 2 days. :/

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']too bad it expires in 2 days. :/[/QUOTE]

It was just issued today... it's a weekend coupon.

Good for people buying things like Brazil, Sanjuro/Yojimbo, Montery Pop, Essential Art House collections, or anything on the Eclipse line. Plus, you can use the 25% off coupon and a $5 off coupon on the same transaction if you're buying two items, and the clerk won't be able to argue (not that I've had them deny me from using multiples at this point, but you have).

Well I picked up Repulsion today at the B&N that wouldn't do multiples. Luckily it was a different cashier, so I was able to use another $5 off coupon.

No luck on stacking though; I had to explain to her that the coupon applied to $20 and up movies that was before any discounts; if anyone tries to give you that line point to where it says on the coupon that the B&N price is the one before tax and member discount. Right when I pulled out the second coupon she said no stacking, but I was ok with ~$14, haha.

Just noticed that in the fine print of the $5 off one DVD coupon it says that it's valid for memberships purchased "between August 24, 2009 and October 28, 2009" . . . Anyone who's purchased their membership more recently than that had any trouble with them? I just bought a membership online today (before I noticed that text), and I'm just wondering whether to expect any issues.

[quote name='arcane93']Just noticed that in the fine print of the $5 off one DVD coupon it says that it's valid for memberships purchased "between August 24, 2009 and October 28, 2009" . . . Anyone who's purchased their membership more recently than that had any trouble with them? I just bought a membership online today (before I noticed that text), and I'm just wondering whether to expect any issues.[/QUOTE]

I was worried about this as well... long story short: you will have no problem.

[quote name='zenintrude']I was worried about this as well... long story short: you will have no problem.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, that's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!

I used the 25% off coupon on The Human Condition and did a return/re-buy on the Hiroshi Teshigahara box set. They're both usually $80 a piece but I got them for less than $30 a piece after tax--pretty cool.

Also since my last post I bought Late Spring, and am going to return/re-buy Harakiri, which I bought a couple of weeks ago from somewhere else. I'm probably also going to get Onibaba, but no stores around me have it, so online it is for that one.

Are there any coupons around for non-members? I was about to order Ran with the 20% off for new shoppers, but it expired on the 11th.

[quote name='arcane93']Just noticed that in the fine print of the $5 off one DVD coupon it says that it's valid for memberships purchased "between August 24, 2009 and October 28, 2009" . . . Anyone who's purchased their membership more recently than that had any trouble with them? I just bought a membership online today (before I noticed that text), and I'm just wondering whether to expect any issues.[/QUOTE]

I totally overlooked that part, but I used two the same transaction as I signed up so there probably would be no problem for anyone wanting to do this.

Fun story about today… I picked up the Complete Monterey Pop Fest (I had reserved it online but the only copy they had was reserved for someone else. "First come, first served" the cashier said.) and In the Realm of the Senses. I handed the cashier a 25% coupon for Monterey Pop and $5 for Realm. The total came to $19.99.
"That's for everything?!" I asked
"Yeah, these are some great deals going on. I hope we do more in the future," he replied.
I looked over the receipt several times and still don't understand how he did that. I don't have access to a scanner until Monday night, but will post it when I can. I'm a happy camper tonight!

This code F4B9F7R should get you 20% off online for one item and a new account, it just worked for me.

I see there's a 25% off coupon in-store for non-members, does this stack with the 50% criterions? Also in-store yesterday not all the Criterions had sale stickers, but online they are all on sale. Should they match it in-store?

[quote name='gojiboy']I see there's a 25% off coupon in-store for non-members, does this stack with the 50% criterions? Also in-store yesterday not all the Criterions had sale stickers, but online they are all on sale. Should they match it in-store?[/QUOTE]

1. Yes the 25% off coupon stacks... it also stacks on the 50%+10% (I refuse to put 60%, because it is not) discount for members.

2. Despite them not having stickers, they will all ring up as 50% (or 50%+10%) at the register.

Picked up the complete monterey pop online with the coupon, then got Chungking Express in store today. The guy wouldnt let me use more coupons or multiple transactions, so I'll go back tomorrow and get another.

He also said it should be going on until the 24th

[quote name='gojiboy']This code F4B9F7R should get you 20% off online for one item and a new account, it just worked for me.

I see there's a 25% off coupon in-store for non-members, does this stack with the 50% criterions? Also in-store yesterday not all the Criterions had sale stickers, but online they are all on sale. Should they match it in-store?[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the online coupon, I was able to get Ran for $16. I appreciate it!

For those of you questioning, my position on Criterion Blu-rays:

For movies made either in B&W, or in fullscreen, there is going to be little difference. I for one own the Seventh Seal on Blu and I don't think it looks at all better than the DVD copy (Yes, I own an HDTV). However, on a movie like the Man Who Fell to Earth you most certainly notice a difference. The main point as it pertains to this sale is that they're the same damn price, so it doesn't matter. Seven Samurai can absolutely not look better than the 3-Disc DVD does, and Criterion usually does immaculate work so your DVDs will never go out of style until we start watching movies in 1260p or some crap like that.

just scored berlin alexanderplatz ($130) for $45 w/ 25% member coupon and original membership discount

bread's done
Back