Baby crib advice?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
My brother is having his first kid in 2 months, meaning I'm gonna be an uncle. I wanted to get them a gift but have no clue what to get them, but our dad suggested getting them a crib. 

I think it's a good idea but I have no idea what to look for or how much to spend. I'm not necessarily looking for cheapest, more like something well built without having any exuberant/unnecessary features. A friend of mine said his wife spent $900 on a crib... he's not happy about it and thinks she got swindled- I tend to agree so I'm not asking her.:p 

Any tips/advice? 

There's only one good choice unless you've recently had a child and did your full due diligence already:

TELL THEM you'd like to buy them the crib, and have them pick one out for you to buy them. (FYI: don't go with them to look, unless you really enjoy shopping for things that have absolutely no interest to you, ie: shopping for your mom's underwear)

This is not just a piece of furniture.  Safety issues aside (I won't even go there), there are so many variables to look at for personal usage, space, size, depth, height, general likes and dislikes, etc.

Also offer to help put it together if you're able, that's a nice extra bonus if purchased in a box (disassembled)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points... unfortunately, they live in AZ and I'm in IL. I'm likely not gonna be able to go there before the kid is born, but having them pick one out is a good idea.:whistle2:k  

I would recommend a Rock n Play crib. There are a lot of variations of it, but the biggest thing is, since they are first-time parents, they are going to want the baby sleeping close to them, at least for the first couple months or so. We were paranoid about our first born sleeping away from us, so we had her in the Rock n Play next to our bed for about 3 months before we even moved her into a crib.

The crib, though, is a big deal. If you are going to get them one, don't chince on the mattress. We were given a crib with a used mattress, and our daughter was sick ALL THE TIME. I told my wife lets try to replace that damn mattress, and once we did, my daughter stopped getting so sick. It was dust that collected in it and all sorts of unknown crap she was breathing in. I recommend one with 2 sides. There is a firmer side for infant baby and when they get past the SIDS age, you can flip it to the more soft side so they can sleep even more comfortably.

If you buy a mattress protector, that mattress could last for years under the assumption that they will have more kids. But this is something they can decide if they want later.

My second daughter, we just reused the Rock n Play... And only kept her in our room the first 2 weeks and moved her to a crib. (The second baby is less stressful because you have been through all the first-time stuff and know how to handle situations better.)

I know you didn't ask for all this much advice, but I just figured I'd pass on what I've learned these past 4 years of having a kid! If you have any more questions, feel free to quote my post or PM me and I'll help ya the best I can!

I would recommend a Rock n Play crib. There are a lot of variations of it, but the biggest thing is, since they are first-time parents, they are going to want the baby sleeping close to them, at least for the first couple months or so. We were paranoid about our first born sleeping away from us, so we had her in the Rock n Play next to our bed for about 3 months before we even moved her into a crib.

The crib, though, is a big deal. If you are going to get them one, don't chince on the mattress. We were given a crib with a used mattress, and our daughter was sick ALL THE TIME. I told my wife lets try to replace that damn mattress, and once we did, my daughter stopped getting so sick. It was dust that collected in it and all sorts of unknown crap she was breathing in. I recommend one with 2 sides. There is a firmer side for infant baby and when they get past the SIDS age, you can flip it to the more soft side so they can sleep even more comfortably.

If you buy a mattress protector, that mattress could last for years under the assumption that they will have more kids. But this is something they can decide if they want later.

My second daughter, we just reused the Rock n Play... And only kept her in our room the first 2 weeks and moved her to a crib. (The second baby is less stressful because you have been through all the first-time stuff and know how to handle situations better.)

I know you didn't ask for all this much advice, but I just figured I'd pass on what I've learned these past 4 years of having a kid! If you have any more questions, feel free to quote my post or PM me and I'll help ya the best I can!
Much appreciated on the advice, definitely uncharted waters for me so no such thing as too much info.

New parents are often very fussy about what they want, especially for a first child.  I'd either buy them the exact model they want or go with another gift choice.   A travel system i.e. stroller/car seat combo is another good gift idea.  Target have some amazing clearance deals on these for nice models.  

bread's done
Back