BackBreaker discussion thread.

JUDOHAWK

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Didn't see one so I thought I would make a thread. Release date is June 1st for US.

For those who don't know. It's a football game made by the guys who developed the Euphoria physics engine so the game does away with precanned animations for tackling and stuff. This is NOT an Arcade Football game, it is sim. There are full playbooks, and NFL style rules. The only thing different is the uniforms. They went with a weird pad style, but it's all cosmetic.

Demo for the 360 version out tomorrow at noon eastern, and they're expecting it on Tuesday for us Ps3 users.

http://forum.backbreakergame.com/index.php

That's the official forums for it. There are also videos on youtube to watch too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKgmCvuFrW0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7pi8mpOLGg

I hope you guys give the demo a chance atleast, this game has been along time coming. At this point I'm just glad to have a football game, I couldn't care less about it not having the NFL license right now.

I know the camera is different from Madden, but after watching plenty of videos I've grown to accept it. It should make the game pretty fun imo.

Nah, they're not making it arcade, which is a good thing imo.

btw guys, the general consensus after people have played the demo is that the game is pretty damn good. So that's good news.

I posted this over in the 360 thread.

Few quick thoughts/impressions:

- The controls take some getting used to, but are pretty intuitive.

- The running game is kind of weird. You take the ball, and if you hold up, you wind up running almost backwards. Feels kind of like you're fighting with the running game where the game wants to go one way while you want to go another.

- The quarterback camera, albeit realistic as to what a quarterback can actually see, can be a pain. You cant see a single thing coming behind you, so you wind up getting sacked quite a bit. Like I said, it's realistic, but it's odd for a game that's this arcadey to choose to be realistic in that aspect.

- Defense is meh. It's easy to get disoriented after the snap due to the camera. It's not terrible and getting sacks or picks feels highly rewarding, but the camera could maybe be zoomed out a touch.

- The player graphics flat out suck. The field, stadium, crowd, etc... look great, but the players and uniforms are awful. Everything looks painted on and low-res.

- Kick-offs, while cheesy, are kind of cool as "Boom" by POD blasts while you kick and field the ball. Successfully fielding kicks can be a pain in the ass though.

Overall, the game plays pretty well and is a lot more fun than I expected. Not sure if I'd go buy it on release day at full price, but once this drops to $30 or so (which I imagine will happen soon), I'll grab it.

[quote name='Matt Young']Actually, there is an arcade mode in it. And the general consensus where? Reviews I'm seeing are very mixed. I give it a 6/10.[/QUOTE]

Don't confuse arcade(aka easy mode) for arcade football. That's just the name of the what they gave to dumbing down things to newbies can take the reigns. But the game is not arcade football. It's very much sim football, even if you play on the easy arcade mode.

Still doesn't mean the game is arcade. Arcade is like Blitz, this is not anything like that. Just because it has great tackles doesn't make it arcade.

I know its wrong, but the lack of any real players/names/uniforms/stadiums/teams kinda makes the game a bit less appealing to me. I'm afraid that EA made a great move holding onto that NFL license.

I probably won't try the demo, maybe just watch some videos of it. On Tuesday most sports fans will be seriously preocupied with UFC 2010 anyway.

[quote name='JUDOHAWK']Still doesn't mean the game is arcade. Arcade is like Blitz, this is not anything like that. Just because it has great tackles doesn't make it arcade.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry. I misread/misinterpreted what you said earlier.

I'll be honest though. It seems the game was made so it can easily be picked up. But that doesn't mean it's arcade, atleast to me. From what I've seen of the game it tries to be a serious football game. It can still use work, but I'm buying it just to support the developers. Because I appreciate what they're trying to do, and if no one buys the game they probably won't make a new BB that's much more improved.

The game looks miles ahead of Madden in terms of simulation football. Physics destroy anything Madden has come up with this gen. They need to fix the camera or give an option to modify the camera angle.

Actually they don't need to fix it, and they won't(talking about changing it). They do need to refine it, but most people have said after a few games the camera grows on them quite a bit.

Am I the only one who thinks the tackles suck? Yes, they have rag-doll physics, cool. However, they lack any sort of impact whatsoever.

bread's done
Back