Backbreaker (football) Available in May

The more I play the Demo the more I really like it. One problem though, I CAN NOT throw a lob pass. What the hell am i doing wrong? Im moving it back and then forward and sometime trying to mimic the little circle they have at the bottom of your right stick movement.

I didn't hate the demo, really...but it was lacking the charm I thought would be incorporated. It's very...dry overall. Definitely worth a pick-up if it was around $20 or so.

[quote name='schuerm26']The more I play the Demo the more I really like it. One problem though, I CAN NOT throw a lob pass. What the hell am i doing wrong? Im moving it back and then forward and sometime trying to mimic the little circle they have at the bottom of your right stick movement.[/QUOTE]

Don't mimic the circle motion. Instead, it's a fluid down and up movement. When you pull down, you're not holding it (like you were loading the throw), instead you're pushing up right away.

Loved the demo. I think the juke is too overpowered, though. Spinning is pretty overpowered as well, but it generally reminded me of the NFL2K2 incarnation on Sega Dreamcast -- and that isn't a bad thing, as that game was light years ahead of Madden.

[quote name='jza1218']Eh, my kid was sleeping in my arms, so I was reading the thread on my phone out of boredom. I agree that the mods are ridiculous other there (for God's sake, they have threads about people getting games early, like Madden, but mod you if you mention where you got it).

Anyway, I should have my review copy soon, and I'll post it here when it goes live.[/QUOTE]

Ah, I was just curious. I was worried that I came across as rude in my post. Hope that wasn't the case. But yeah, I've mainly just heard stories about the mods. As you may have noticed, I haven't posted much in the 2 years I've been there.

Please do link to your review when it is up!

Gamestop has broken street date and are selling the game as of today.

I picked up my copy and played some games. I like the feel of the game. You really have to take time to get used to the camera and play like a real QB. Some people have issues with the camera but after playing the demo and some games I am getting used to it.

I did throw a bunch INT's and people are complaining about throwing too many INT's by the user and CPU (on the backbreaker forum forum.backbreakergame.com). I know the ones I thrown were legit.. I didn't do my reads correctly and basically threw the ball to the linebackers.

I think this game will not sell well and will be discounted to around $20-$30 by the time Madden comes out. I hope people give this game a chance when the price drops. We need this type of game on the market. Choice breeds competition which breeds innovation. If Backbreaker is given a chance to get another version out we will see improvements.

Kevin

Love this game. AI problems re: too many CPU INTs is a legit concern and hopefully patchable, but I don't know what people are talking about re: roughing the punter penalty. Played over a dozen games, demo and final version, and never seen it once.

I did see an intentional grounding penalty though. Fricking fantastic.

Look, if you're a hardcore stat nut, someone who plays madden just for coach mode and never actually plays a snap, this probably isn't for you.

But if you want to see true next-gen physics and gameplay in a football game (with I would argue a COMPRABLE amount of quirks/issues as Madden brings to the table), then pick it up. And the online? FLAWLESS. You know how madden slows down and gets laggy online? I could not tell the difference between off and online in BB. And with all the physics going on, you'd think it would be worse, but I guess that just goes to show you how terrible the netcode is in Madden.

I've seen things in BB that I've never seen in a football video game, and they're so amazing to me that they make the other quirks quite tolerable. I can't tell you how sick of madden I've become. The endless 21-24 games, the ridiculously frequent animations for near scores or chain gangs that are ENTIRELY unskippable, the predictability of EVERYTHING, most of all animations. I can't stand it. Sick of it. Played so much of it that I see through the thin veneer into the heart of what is, in the end, an incredibly scripted experience. BB is unpredictable, fluid, and a breath of fresh air. I'm tired of reading people complain about the camera. The devs said it themselves: they're not trying to be Madden. They're trying to make you feel like you're ON the field. And they nailed it. Oh, and the logo maker rocks, too.

9a4z2b.jpg

The demo is pretty cool but not $50 cool. It's such a joke that Madden has had exclusive rights to the NFL for all these years and they still crank out a medicore product.

[quote name='Arkay Firestar']I'm tired of reading people complain about the camera. The devs said it themselves: they're not trying to be Madden. They're trying to make you feel like you're ON the field. And they nailed it.[/QUOTE]

That's fine, and I commend developers for trying something different. But in my experience with the demo, the camera felt too jerky. To the point of disorienting me, and it taking a second to figure out where I'm supposed to be going. And by that time, the defenders were all over me. I don't even mind the zoomed in feel so much, but even switching from one receiver to the next is such a jarring movement. It's like a camera man who does hard/fast pans all day. It becomes nauseating.

I bought this game on a whim yesterday, however I'm probably going to take it back, and wait for a price drop... I got too many games to play right now.

[quote name='Thomas96']I bought this game on a whim yesterday, however I'm probably going to take it back, and wait for a price drop... I got too many games to play right now.[/QUOTE]

and then what happened?

played the demo and had some ass cracking moments, i blocked a punt by running into the guy and man i felt like a frig the guys leg was all funny as well. my cpu intercepted the ball and i ran in for the score. that seems to be the only way i CAN. i don't have a problem with the camera location, but i do have a problem with how the cameras switches people. it felt like you were being shaken and jolted to the new guy. finding who had the ball was easy enough with the "yellow" though.

one thing i don't get as of right now is the kicking mechanics. i kick it so short. don't know the right timing.

how does this stupid lob pass work. i can only seem to power throw it.

anyone else have a problem obtaining possession of the ball when the CPU punts/misses field goal. i found my self in countless scenarios where the ball would bounce like flubber and a penalty would appear and "they'd" have the ball. it happened several times. they almost came back.

[quote name='timesplitt']played the demo and had some ass cracking moments, i blocked a punt by running into the guy and man i felt like a frig the guys leg was all funny as well. my cpu intercepted the ball and i ran in for the score. that seems to be the only way i CAN. i don't have a problem with the camera location, but i do have a problem with how the cameras switches people. it felt like you were being shaken and jolted to the new guy. finding who had the ball was easy enough with the "yellow" though.

one thing i don't get as of right now is the kicking mechanics. i kick it so short. don't know the right timing.

how does this stupid lob pass work. i can only seem to power throw it.

anyone else have a problem obtaining possession of the ball when the CPU punts/misses field goal. i found my self in countless scenarios where the ball would bounce like flubber and a penalty would appear and "they'd" have the ball. it happened several times. they almost came back.[/QUOTE]

For kicking power, hold the Right stick down. You will hear a ticking sound, followed by a colored band under the kickers feet. Once the color is full, let go of the stick.

[quote name='timesplitt']how does this stupid lob pass work. i can only seem to power throw it.[/QUOTE]

You pull the right stick down then up. But it has to be very fluid, don't hold the right stick down at all, bring it back up in one fluid motion. It's tricky, and I can't do it all the time, but I think that is how it works.

bread's done
Back