Backing up Multiple PSN

zenithyoda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hey

I've tried to find an answer online but haven't found exactly what I wanted. I have a lot of gameshares on my PS3, about 10 or so accounts. I want to upgrade my harddrive from the 80 I have to at least 250.

Is it possible for me to back up multiple PSNs on the same back up? Or do I have to back up once per account?

Or, do I have to go through all my accounts, save the username and password (or find out what it is), deactivate the account, and then activate the account when I have the new harddrive?

Thanks!!

If you are just upgrading the HDD and not changing PS3s:
You just need to do a full back up and restore. It will copy over everything (profiles, games, save data, settings, etc). Your PS3 will look just like it did before the upgrade except you will have more free HDD space.

[quote name='Darknyss']If you are just upgrading the HDD and not changing PS3s:
You just need to do a full back up and restore. It will copy over everything (profiles, games, save data, settings, etc). Your PS3 will look just like it did before the upgrade except you will have more free HDD space.[/QUOTE]

Wrong. After you do a full back up from the old HDD then restore the system after putting in a new HDD you will have to log on all of the PSN account and activate it again. I've just upgraded my HDD recently to a 320gb HDD and none of my PSN games work after the restore and I had to manually log on all the PSN account I did gameshare with to reactivate. Luckily I traded with the nice people and they agreed to give me info to log on their accounts again except one person still hasn't reply to me about this yet.

Though if you've only been in gamesharing "Groups" I don't think you should be worry because groups don't normally change password to the group's account. Good luck with your upgrading :bouncy:

^^ not sure why it didn't work for you but I tested one of the games I got via gameshare (PAIN) and it worked flawlessly. The PSN account that I downloaded it from is still there and works fine also. All of my profiles for the foreign PSN stores copied over too.

[quote name='Lynsanity']I had to re-DL everything.[/QUOTE]
same here. Did it about a year ago. All the profiles were there but had to redownload sooo much stuff. Yeah just make sure you have the email/password from your shares just in case.

[quote name='Darknyss']^^ not sure why it didn't work for you but I tested one of the games I got via gameshare (PAIN) and it worked flawlessly. The PSN account that I downloaded it from is still there and works fine also. All of my profiles for the foreign PSN stores copied over too.[/QUOTE]

Sure everything will transfer over to the new harddrive but you will HAVE to log on ALL of the PSN account to reactivate all the games. If you don't believe me try backing up your PS3 and the format it and do a restore. But be warned if the people you shared with doesn't want to give you the passwords to log back on the accounts you got the games from it will never work again unless ofcourse you get somebody else with the same game that would let you sign on their account to activate them.

@Zenith: If you have only been in gameshare groups I wouldn't worry and go ahead with the upgrade but if you have done individual trades where the other trader might have changed his/her password then be sure they will give you new login infos so you can reactivate their games. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys!

I have done some individual trades, so I will talk to those guys, and I still have the password for all of my game shares.

I only have an 120gb drive, so I will wait until I am able to afford a new one beforehand.

I bought a 80 gig external hardrive and formatted it to FAT32. I backed up my ps3 via their back up operation under system tools or whatever.

I took out the old hardrive and installed a new 500gb hardrive in my ps3. I had to format it once my ps3 turned on, and once again when i connected my external backup (took a minute or so each time).

Once I restored, everything was back to how it was. Al my user accounts were there. I didn't have to reactivate or redownload anything. It was awesome.

I did have to resync my trophies, which took 10-15 minutes.

Easiest upgrade ever :) Time to sell off my external hardrive and the 60gb notebook drive :)

[quote name='zenithyoda']I bought a 80 gig external hardrive and formatted it to FAT32. I backed up my ps3 via their back up operation under system tools or whatever.

I took out the old hardrive and installed a new 500gb hardrive in my ps3. I had to format it once my ps3 turned on, and once again when i connected my external backup (took a minute or so each time).

Once I restored, everything was back to how it was. Al my user accounts were there. I didn't have to reactivate or redownload anything. It was awesome.

Easiest upgrade ever :) Time to sell off my external hardrive and the 60gb notebook drive :)[/QUOTE]
Have you actually try running the games? In my case after the restore I was glad everything were there but when I try to run them they ask to be Activate lol.

[quote name='luan87us']Have you actually try running the games? In my case after the restore I was glad everything were there but when I try to run them they ask to be Activate lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.... of course I tried the games.

Everything works :)

[quote name='zenithyoda']Yeah.... of course I tried the games.

Everything works :)[/QUOTE]

Weir then. Mine made me reactivated accounts >.> I have the 40gb Phat PS3 model with FW 3.01. Because of this it made me lost 1 share on my account because one of the traders is a total douche bag and said he would email me the info but never did and it has been about a month. Tried to contact him a few time but he never response :bomb:

[quote name='zenithyoda']I bought a 80 gig external hardrive and formatted it to FAT32. I backed up my ps3 via their back up operation under system tools or whatever.

Easiest upgrade ever :) Time to sell off my external hardrive and the 60gb notebook drive :)[/QUOTE]

Ditto!! I didn't haven't to re-activate or download anything what so ever! Kudos to the easy upgrade.

bread's done
Back