Bagging and boarding gameboy games WTH?

needler420

Banned
Hello community I think i may have come across a good practical way to store gameboy games. In my personal opinion I like this method the best for me. I also don't think i have ever seen it mentioned online.

It's not really a storage method but more so protective casing. Credit to Pete Dorr of the youtube community. His storage advice lead me its discovery. I had watched his storage video years ago and in the last week watched it again as i had acquired some more gameboy games and didn't have a decent method for storing them other then just trying to shove them on my gaming shelf or a random spot.

Pete Dorr collecting tips video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQzCNRomjg

Hard official cases are always probably best but its usually not too practical to acquire as many as you'd need for your collection and new games as well. Could get expensive trying to use them for a full collection. i cherry pick my good games for these cases which includes DS,3DS if i have managed to get some loose. ( which at prices i find at certain flea markets you'll acquire loose modern handheld games. But again i don't find it practical to be able to store all my loose games in hard cases, that's a expense id rather invest else where just like universal cases and printing covers.

[attachment=14309:IMAG0129.jpg]

its using individual trading card sleeves. NOT the full sheets meant for binders. Which is what Pete Dorr recommends in his video which is probably a good alternative but i prefer my way because those full binder sheets are still hard to store unless you hang them on a wall which i could do but prefer not to. It would be too bulky to use binders with handheld games in the sheets. Then the binder can be another issue storing.

I got inspired for this idea by a combination of things starting from Pete Dorrs youtube video and comic book storing which is a 2nd hobby i dab a little in. I also had bought two N64 games years back and they had arrived in these plastic sleeves that are self adhesive sealing and fit the games perfect.

If I could find similar types of bags to fit all loose cartridges of mine NES, SNES, etc. I would do that over buying the universal cases in bulk and printing cover art like many collectors do. This alternative would would protect the labels and cartridges from aesthetic damage against friction etc. as well as keep the contacts clean of dust so you'll have to clean or blow into them half as often. They take up way less space then those universal cases. I also don't have a desire to pay for over 200 cover art prints as well as keep having to do that as i acquire games.

Here are pics of the N64 games that had sleeves. I never really pursued getting more of them for the rest of my n64 collection.

[attachment=14304:IMAG0130.jpg]

[attachment=14305:IMAG0131.jpg]

Here are pics of the trading card sleeves used on gameboy and other handheld games. It fits gameboy almost a exact fit like it was meant for it. For GBA fits two games without cutting or folding the bag too much. Game gear won't fit, neo geo pocket seems to fit pretty decent as well. Everyone should have some of these laying around or know someone who does. If not a 100 pack is $1.50 shipped on amazon maybe cheaper on ebay. I think it looks nice but its a bit over the top. but hey with the way retro gaming is going and the games getting older i do want to keep them looking good and the functionality of the game working, which means keeping the game contacts as dust and dirt free as possible. I'm seeing many good games in the wild get destroyed from too much dirt or moisture damage to the contacts or really bad sun faded labels, scratched, peeled etc.

[attachment=14306:IMAG0125.jpg]

[attachment=14307:IMAG0128.jpg]

[attachment=14308:IMAG0127.jpg]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJeIGlEH5Zg

All i need now is a cool dope lunch box to store all my handheld games in and put that on the gaming shelf.

I did all this in a effort to preserve what i have as best as possible on a what in my opinion is a practical budget.

Those cover prints people use for the universal cases gets expensive whether you have the printer to do it or not. Specially if you're trying to do it to a big collection. General idea a carton (100 pack) of universal cases at its cheapest wholesale price is like US $70 before shipping. Then each game cover print you do ranges from US $0.10 cents- $1.00 or over depending where you're printing from and what kind of quality paper and ink you use. So imagine someone with a collection even in the low hundreds. Not a expense i would personally want to acquire. Rather reinvest that expense back into retro or modern gaming.

They way i look at it is i bag an board a new comic book that's $3 dollars and printed in the thousands. These baseball cards sleeves I have a endless amount to begin with and my average game isn't $3 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when I used to have game carts, I used a similar method to store my GB carts except I used the individual card sleeves, rather than the binder sheets. I used to have tons of those around from all my worthless trading cards.

If I could find similar types of bags to fit all loose cartridges of mine NES, SNES, etc. I would do that over buying the universal cases in bulk and printing cover art like many collectors do. This alternative would would protect the labels and cartridges from aesthetic damage against friction etc. as well as keep the contacts clean of dust so you'll have to clean or blow into them half as often. They take up way less space then those universal cases. I also don't have a desire to pay for over 200 cover art prints as well as keep having to do that as i acquire games.
My mom had tons of photo albums and I used some of her spare photo album sheets for my SNES and NES carts. Stuff like this:

http://www.joann.com/we-r-photo-sleeves-12inx12in-for-4inx6in-photos-10-pack/11425931.html?mkwid=xJ7O5RlF

I'm not sure what sizes are right for what console carts, but I think the 4x6 ones worked for SNES games (and likely Genesis/N64 games). You're gonna need to find some that are acid/lignin free and archive safe and ones that do not have the adhesive backing, those will damage the labels (even if they don't seem sticky, over time they will attach to the labels).

hmm was expecting people to say i was crazy for going too much out of the way. I never seen it mentioned online or any where and for how long and active ive been on the gaming interwebz thought maybe someone else would also get use out of the idea.

i figure I'm going out of my way for $3 comics printed in the thousands so why not my games. I had debated going the universal case route with printed cover art for years and while that's still nice its space consuming and very expensive as my examples can show.

I'm just looking for a real cool lunch box now to store all the loose handheld games in. Doesn't have to be gaming related but something cool pop culture related so i can display on the gaming shelf nicely.

I like my method better then the universal cases. With these type of poly bags they still stack beautiful on media shelves.

Unlike comic books, there are also some complications bagging and boarding cart games including, the battery, the dirty metal contacts and more. At least you're not slabbing them.

Unlike comic books, there are also some complications bagging and boarding cart games including, the battery, the dirty metal contacts and more. At least you're not slabbing them.
Well that's the point in bagging them to keep the dust of the contacts. A lot of cartridge games that sit idle for too long usually need to have the contacts cleaned with rubbing alcohol or a lot of blowing into the cartridge. Bagging them is just suppose to slow the process of them getting dusty or dirty. Help keep the labels good from any scratches or liquid spills as well.

I think its neat considering how easy those loose card sleeves fit gameboy games.

I'm not sure if its good or bad for the battery. Honesty I don't think its either bad or good. I think it has little difference on the battery function.

I put mine in Sterilite bins... constantly on the look out for ones that will fit game carts.  Unfortunately, they discontinue and alter their designs for many on an annual basis, and many of their cases are "rounded."   I try to get them as squared as I can find the edges. 

smaller_zps99e66650.jpg

Gamiez_zpsf9adf0fa.png

I don't even collect gameboy and I ended up with a few packs of these.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:25587]
I've been doing the sterilite thing with my loose carts which sucks for when you just want to pick out something and play it.

bread's done
Back