Band Hero: Band Kit (PS3/360) $34.99 plus Free Shipping @ Newegg School-Ready Sale

Omega_ZX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Hello CAGs!

Newegg is having a School-Ready Electronic sale, in which Band Hero: Band Kit on sale for $34.99.

360 version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-081712-Index-_-Xbox360Games-_-74117100-L06D

PS3 version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-EMC-081712-Index-_-PS3Games-_-79221183-L06C

Other noteworthy item is Dead Island: GOTY Edition for $19.99, also with free shipping.

360 version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...C-081712-Index-_-Xbox360Games-_-74165023-L06A

PS3 version:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-EMC-081712-Index-_-PS3Games-_-79262048-L06B

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the consensus on DI? Is $20 a good price to bite or should I wait until Black Friday? I already have a backlog of games to tend to x.X

[quote name='Don Chubo']With just guitars being so expensive, this takes any thought at all? No, it doesn't - 5 sets ordered. Thanks, OP.[/QUOTE]

I know, right? All I needed was a guitar and they're going for $30-35 used on eBay. With the drums, game, etc. it's one hell of a deal.

I had been wanting some drums as I only had the portable set that was on Amazon for $10. This gives me so much more for a little more then it would have cost to find some on craigslist, thanks OP.

My girlfriend hasn't played ny of these before, but she's wanted to. So I bought this for her so she could have the drums.

I already have 2 guitars from a few years ago and just bought LEGO Rock Band for $7 from Best Buy. I think I'll make a trip down to GameStop and get RB 1 and 2. So she'll have plenty to play.

My order was placed within a minute of seeing Band Hero kit and 34.99 in the same sentence. I have to original Rock Band drum sets, and I've been wanting something new and hopefully sturdier.

Yeah, this really is a no-brainer. These aren't exactly easy to find on sale anymore, especially with no shipping or tax.

Thanks OP, definitely in for one.

[quote name='vamn']I know, right? All I needed was a guitar and they're going for $30-35 used on eBay. With the drums, game, etc. it's one hell of a deal.[/QUOTE]

That much huh? My local used game shop has around 50+ used guitars in just a room dedicated to plastic instruments ppl traded in over the years. Each console's wireless guitars are $7, wired ones are $4. I guess its time to flip some guitars on eBay.

Thanks OP. Bought one. I bought a Band Hero bundle off amazon from an outlet seller a year ago for $60 and completely regret it after seeing this. It came used with a busted drum stand and broken whammy bar and there was nothing I could do.

This makes for 2 drum sets, 6 guitars, and around 5 mics under my belt. Now I just need to hunt down a keyboard and some DJ Hero turntables.

[quote name='NismoZ32']Thanks OP. Bought one. I bought a Band Hero bundle off amazon from an outlet seller a year ago for $60 and completely regret it after seeing this. It came used with a busted drum stand and broken whammy bar and there was nothing I could do.

This makes for 2 drum sets, 6 guitars, and around 5 mics under my belt. Now I just need to hunt down a keyboard and some DJ Hero turntables.[/QUOTE]

If your looking for the DJ Hero turntables try going to Ross or Marshalls, if there is any near you that is. I've bought two DJ Hero 2 bundles for around $20 each. I saw some a month ago at my local Ross.

Wow, I was tempted by the $50 price on this at target.com (-5% if you have a red card), but I can't pass this up especially since I can use paypal. In for one! Thanks OP!

Now to find GH Metallica!

And so it begins. I knew sooner or later I would begin collecting the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games. I almost started when I saw the Target deal for $50, but I managed to hold. But like one of the posters above said, $35 is a great deal and hard to pass up. Tempted to get another for an extra guitar, but I think I can find some cheap in pawn shops.

Anyways, anybody have a guide to the exportability of Rock Band/Guitar Hero games? There are so many that I'm not sure which can be exported, which need a code, etc. It's so confusing.

[quote name='kulaguy']And so it begins. I knew sooner or later I would begin collecting the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games. I almost started when I saw the Target deal for $50, but I managed to hold. But like one of the posters above said, $35 is a great deal and hard to pass up. Tempted to get another for an extra guitar, but I think I can find some cheap in pawn shops.

Anyways, anybody have a guide to the exportability of Rock Band/Guitar Hero games? There are so many that I'm not sure which can be exported, which need a code, etc. It's so confusing.[/QUOTE]

I'm not very sure of this either as I didn't do most of them since they want like a $10 fee or something for every code you enter to export them. I have most of the games aside from Rockband 3 and all the Rockband track pack games that only had like 15 songs for each game.

Looking through my copies I do have this information for you.
Rockband - Unsure (gutted cheap used gamestop copy)
Rockband 2 - Just a bonus tracks code on back of manual
Rockband AC/DC - Exportable to main games.
Rockband Green Day - Exportable to main games.
Band Hero - Exportable to Guitar Hero games
Guitar Hero 3 - Nothing.
Guitar Hero World Tour - Exportable to Guitar Hero games.
Guitar Hero 5 - Exportable to Guitar Hero games.
Guitar Hero Smash Hits - Exportable to Guitar Hero games.
Guitar Hero Aerosmith - Nothing.
Guitar Hero Metallica - Exportable to Guitar Hero games.
Guitar Hero Van Halen - Exportable to Guitar Hero games.
Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock - Exportable to Guitar Hero games.
DJ Hero - Exportable - Unsure what though
DJ Hero 2 - Exportable - Unsure what again

[quote name='Carnage']Wow! 5$ I'll hold out for that!
But seriously, 35$ for a new item not in production anymore that you may never be able to get again? I'm in.[/QUOTE]This exactly. This bundle has been clearanced out of all of the major B&M stores, target.com and now newegg. There can't be all that many places left that even sell it, let alone at a price like this so if you have any interest at all this may be one of your last cheap chances to get a full band kit.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Wow this is super tempting. We haven't had a Rock Band party in forever because both my guitars wore out. Not sure I wanna blow that much cash right now (would need to buy 2 of them). I haven't been able to find any guitars new or used in a long time. Considering they were traded in by so many so regularly at Gamestop you would think they would have been really cheap to replace.[/QUOTE]Wasn't Gamestop so overrun with guitar trade ins that they were throwing away used guitars to reduce inventory at one point?

[quote name='krashhole']Not a bad deal at all. Seems like they never fixed the issues with the drums because people are still complaining about them as of 2 months ago. I guess if you need the guitar, it's worth it.[/QUOTE]What are the complaints? There was an early model and a later model that had the removeable panel. The latter seemed to be better.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']Until you remember that Sears blew the full band sets out for $20 (and TRU had them for $30) just last year.[/QUOTE]Not much of a price difference and back then band kits were available at many stores. Now not so much.

[quote name='NismoZ32']Thanks OP. Bought one. I bought a Band Hero bundle off amazon from an outlet seller a year ago for $60 and completely regret it after seeing this. It came used with a busted drum stand and broken whammy bar and there was nothing I could do.

This makes for 2 drum sets, 6 guitars, and around 5 mics under my belt. Now I just need to hunt down a keyboard and some DJ Hero turntables.[/QUOTE]If you have a Fry's around you may get lucky with a keyboard. Got the keyboard/RB3 bundle for $10 several weeks ago for 360. PS3 was the same. Also, try Sears or Big Lots for DJ Hero turntables.

[quote name='Monoxide1986']Regarding the defective drums, one of the sets I purchased from TRU when they were clearing them out had a bad drum set. I simply filled out one of their warranty replacement forms on their website, printed the shipping label they provided me, and sent it off. In about a week or so I had a new set (2nd Gen re-model no less, with detachable control pad) sitting on my door-step.

I was very impressed with their warranty department. Just a heads up for people worried about the drums.[/QUOTE]I try and mention this anytime a deal comes up on this bundle. When I opened the one I got from the Sears clearance a year ago, the wires were dry rotting on the drum kit. Called Activision and after a short wait talked to a helpful rep. He was aware of the issue occurring and blamed it on how stores store them. He had me scan the receipt and email it to him and then set me up to have a drum set shipped to me. I didn't even have to send in the defective one. Got the new set a few days later and it was either the later model or one that came with a later game because the Band Hero drum kit was no longer in production. Either way it was a new and better drum kit hassle free so don't worry about drum kit problems as it's easy to take care of.

[quote name='jdawgg76']Wasn't Gamestop so overrun with guitar trade ins that they were throwing away used guitars to reduce inventory at one point?[/QUOTE]

I believe that is correct. They may have thrown out their entire inventory and/or sold out the rest of them because I haven't seen them in a Gamestop in a long time. I don't think I would want to buy a used one anyway as they probably would be non-functional or at least not at 100% anyway as mine are pretty much trash and I would have traded them in if I could.

Anyone else having trouble with their order? I ordered the kit Friday night and was charged immediately for it. However, it's been sitting on "Packaging" since then and still hasn't shipped. They still list it as "in stock" so it's not like they ran out, but I've never had anything take more than a day to ship from Newegg.

[quote name='Zbornak']Anyone else having trouble with their order? I ordered the kit Friday night and was charged immediately for it. However, it's been sitting on "Packaging" since then and still hasn't shipped. They still list it as "in stock" so it's not like they ran out, but I've never had anything take more than a day to ship from Newegg.[/QUOTE]

I ordered Friday afternoon and got mine today.

Also there are 2 loose Duracell batteries (not packaged together how they usually are with most electronics) with the guitar and it looks like it may have been opened/used - any one else's like this?

Edit - found the mic with the drums in the bottom box.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Zbornak']Anyone else having trouble with their order? I ordered the kit Friday night and was charged immediately for it. However, it's been sitting on "Packaging" since then and still hasn't shipped. They still list it as "in stock" so it's not like they ran out, but I've never had anything take more than a day to ship from Newegg.[/QUOTE]

Same here...

[quote name='mr_burnzz']I hope the drums won't be screwed like most are saying it is. I bought this just for the drums...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, good luck man, bought mine via TRU/BB PM probably two years ago and the plastic around the wires just crumbled off the drums, had to return it.

Edit: maybe a little less then two years, found the deal on CAG and not quite to my two year anniversery.

the band hero kit also sports a newer drum set than the guitar hero world tour kit. it's supposed to be fewer parts and more reliable (the GHWT drums have a reputation of dying).

A few hours after I posted, I got a shipping confirmation. It won't be here until Thursday, but I'm glad it's on its way.

[quote name='Stimes']Yeah, good luck man, bought mine via TRU/BB PM probably two years ago and the plastic around the wires just crumbled off the drums, had to return it.

Edit: maybe a little less then two years, found the deal on CAG and not quite to my two year anniversery.[/QUOTE]You should have called them. See my story a few posts up.

[quote name='kulaguy']
Anyways, anybody have a guide to the exportability of Rock Band/Guitar Hero games? There are so many that I'm not sure which can be exported, which need a code, etc. It's so confusing.[/QUOTE]

I spent a small fortune exporting most of mine. From what I can remember, here's the breakdown (for PS3/360):
-Rock Band 1, 2, Lego, Green Day: export fee (I think $5 for RB1 and $10 for the others), unique export code from booklet required for all except RB1
-Rock Band track packs: Free export, unique export codes from booklets required
-Beatles Rock Band: No export
-Guitar Hero World Tour, Smash Hits, GH5, Band Hero, GH Metallica: Unique codes required for all, I think, with varying export costs (World Tour being the cheapest...$4 if I remember correctly...and the others being a bit more but somewhere between $5 and $10)
-Guitar Hero Van Halen: No export

Special notes:
-Due to licensing restrictions, certain songs aren't exportable (all RB track pack songs export, though). The Rock Band games export most of their songs with maybe 5-10 left out...Band Hero exports most, too...while the Guitar Hero games are spotty, with the World Tour export containing less than half of the songs in the game.
-The exports are for play in later games (with some cross-compatibility for titles released around the same time...like GH5 songs being compatible with Band Hero and vice versa). Songs from older games will be available in the later games (like the Rock Band track packs meant for Rock Band 1 will also show up in RB2 and 3).
-I think Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock requires a free downloadable update from the psn store to be compatible with World Tour exported content

That's all I can think of offhand. Everyone feel free to add to it or correct me.

[quote name='jdawgg76']You should have called them. See my story a few posts up.[/QUOTE]Meant to Thank you the other day for that post and forgot. So, Thanks!

Got one of the 360 bundles. Was looking to get back into music gaming now that it was so cheap and needed a guitar. Not ever sure what I'm going to do with the drums. Good deal

Mines coming today woohoo! Like most everyone else here, I was just looking for a Guitar controller, and they're basically $35 for a used one, if not more. When I saw this deal I had to jump on it.

The drums are easy as hell to fix, if they're still using 3.5mm headphone plugs just buy a male to male extension 6+ ft, cut it in half and replace it, and you'll have a spare. Pretty sure you can get away with using a stereo one. I'd suggest leaving some of the wire attached to the sensor in the pedal and splice to it rather than using the solder spots on the sensor, they melt easily, and either tape or shrink tube the exposed connection. Don't forget to tie a strain relief knot in the cable before you reassemble everything.

To someone who doesn't own any of the Rock Band peripherals and have wanted them for some time but haven't been able to find a version without people price gouging, how is this? If I didn't even care for the game itself and just wanted it for the kit, is this a decent deal? I know I see RB 1-3 software on sale all the time. Now the instruments are harder to come by.

[quote name='hufferstl']Are these drums wireless?[/QUOTE]

Nope, the drums and mic are wired, the guitar is wireless.

[quote name='Darkas']After 2 months it will end up at goodwill for 5 bucks.[/QUOTE]

That's where I'll be. I got my set from garage sales/good wills for 15$ total.

[quote name='hufferstl']Are these drums wireless?[/QUOTE]
PS3 ones I think are wired. 360 Should be wireless since it uses same peripherals as Guitar Hero 5, which was wireless drum set if memory serves right.

[quote name='waldo21212']Nope, the drums and mic are wired, the guitar is wireless.[/QUOTE]

huh??? where are you getting your info??? of course the Guitar Hero/Band Hero drums are wireless.

the only wired is the mic.

[quote name='Scenttii']To someone who doesn't own any of the Rock Band peripherals and have wanted them for some time but haven't been able to find a version without people price gouging, how is this? If I didn't even care for the game itself and just wanted it for the kit, is this a decent deal? I know I see RB 1-3 software on sale all the time. Now the instruments are harder to come by.[/QUOTE]

it's much easier to use the RB drums because it's only 4 pads. so when you're playing RB, you have the 4 pads corresponding to the 4 lanes. If you use the RB drums in GH/BH, GH/BH changes the lanes of the song so there are only 4 lanes. so that means as a RB drummer, you don't have to change in any way when you go back and forth between RB and GH/BH.

However, with the GH/BH drums, there are 5. So when you play GH/BH, you have 5 lanes to play. But if you use the GH/BH drums in RB, you still have RB's 4 lanes. So it doesn't match up with the 5 pads (3 drums, 2 cymbals) so a GH/BH drummer has to adapt to the RB game.

[quote name='dirtyvu']it's much easier to use the RB drums because it's only 4 pads. so when you're playing RB, you have the 4 pads corresponding to the 4 lanes. If you use the RB drums in GH/BH, GH/BH changes the lanes of the song so there are only 4 lanes. so that means as a RB drummer, you don't have to change in any way when you go back and forth between RB and GH/BH.

However, with the GH/BH drums, there are 5. So when you play GH/BH, you have 5 lanes to play. But if you use the GH/BH drums in RB, you still have RB's 4 lanes. So it doesn't match up with the 5 pads (3 drums, 2 cymbals) so a GH/BH drummer has to adapt to the RB game.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the heads up. How difficult is it to come across the original rock band instruments? From what I've heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, the set from Rock Band 2 are the best, right?

I've been looking on and off since last year for a decent bundle but whenever I find someone selling the instruments, they're always for 100+ just for the plastic.

I can't find a wireless drum set for anything that isn't out of my price range.

I wish I would have gotten the Walmart Beatles deal a year or two ago...

RB drums are not very good. *runs to cover from RB fanboys* In terms of quality and playability, the GH/BH ones always felt more responsive and it was cool to have 5 pads to hit. But if most of your gaming is in RB, then a major part of the GH drums isn't used.

Now, if you're talking 3rd party RB drums, then I can show support for those kits like the Logitech ones.

I just wish Harmonix extended an olive branch like Activision did. Activision adapted GH/BH gameplay to accommodate RB drums. The favor should've been returned.

I'm done shopping for music peripherals so I can't help much there. I will say that this kit will do you well in RB. The BH guitar is the same as the GH5 guitar which was pretty much the best standard guitar (better quality and more responsive than the prone-to-break GH:WT guitar). GH guitars are more clicky which if you grew up on GH1,2,3, will feel right at home. The RB guitars look really cool (especially the 3rd party ones) but the feeling is kind of dull. And GH5/BH guitars have the huge star power button to make it really easy to trigger it during heavy jam sessions.

I would definitely not pay a surcharge to own a "Rock Band" peripheral if I could get a complete kit for $35 that includes a game.

[quote name='RiPPn']Got mine today, mine came with the inferior world tour drum kit, time to contact Newegg.[/QUOTE]What's different between the 2?

[quote name='krashhole']What's different between the 2?[/QUOTE]

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/09/29/band-hero-drum-set-hands-on

Edit: Funny I just linked to that page which says "In the meantime, the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 Band Hero Super Bundles will include the Guitar Hero World Tour drumset" which must mean these are old kits. Ugh wish I had known this beforehand.

Edit: still going to contact them as even their product page for the game has the redesigned drums pictured.

bread's done
Back