Band of Brothers or Planet Earth

Greetard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I still haven't gotten a gift for my father and today's the last day that amazon will ship stuff that'll arrive at your door by Dec. 24th. My dad's a history buff and nature documentary buff. Both series are hallmarks for the Discovery Channel and History Channel. I've been asking family and friends and shit, but it's dead even- don't ask me now. So, I'm turning to CAG. Which of the two did you like better?

If you pick one of the first four options, I'll add a point for that series. If you pick one of the second two, I'll subtract a point from that series.

What age group is your dad in? Did he ever serve in the military? Personally, I'm 40, and I liked Planet Earth better, as environmental awareness truly surged as I was coming of age. My father-in-law, a green beret in Nam in the late 60s, would go hook line and sinker for Band of Brothers.

My parents loved Planet Earth, they are both in their 40's. They have not seen Band of Brothers, but they don't really like war stuff, so they wouldn't want to see it in the first place.

[quote name='browneyedgal68']What age group is your dad in? Did he ever serve in the military? Personally, I'm 40, and I liked Planet Earth better, as environmental awareness truly surged as I was coming of age. My father-in-law, a green beret in Nam in the late 60s, would go hook line and sinker for Band of Brothers.[/QUOTE]

He went to Maine Maritime for his degree, and had to go through the standard Marine training, but I think that's about all the service he's seen. That really doesn't sway anything though, as he's always watching either the Discovery Channel, History Channel, or HBO (but has strangely missed both series).

I would have gotten him Band of Brothers when it was onsale for $25. :)

And isn't it getting kind of late to order online? You are from Maine, it's 10pm.

Have seen and own both. Both are amazing films. Band of Brothers is the best WWII film I have ever seen and Planet Earth is a fasinating nature documentary. Either choice is a fantastic gift, so I would go for whichever you can get for a good deal, and who knows maybe you can score both with a deal.

Were we separated at birth or something? I was considering the same two options for my mom. I went with Planet Earth for Christmas (since I just bought her an HDTV), and I'm getting her Band of Brothers for her birthday in February.

[quote name='TARDIS']Were we separated at birth or something? I was considering the same two options for my mom. I went with Planet Earth for Christmas (since I just bought her an HDTV), and I'm getting her Band of Brothers for her birthday in February.[/QUOTE]

Must be. My mom's birthday is in February as well.

I'd go Planet Earth because it's truly amazing. Band of Brothers is great but it's just Saving Private Ryan but expanded into way too many hours.

That's a really hard question to answer. I own both and really enjoy both of them, but they are two very different genres.

Is hi-def an option or necessity or anything?

Planet Earth is already out in regular DVD, HDDVD, and Blu-Ray. So, many choices there.

Band of Brothers is currently DVD only, but supposedly they've been working on and HDDVD version as well. So if hi-def is a preference or a necessity, then you might want to wait on buying this title until it comes out on HDDVD. But it was announced a loooong time ago, so no telling when it's actually going to come out.

DVDs are around the same price retail, but Amazon has Band of Brothers for about $13 cheaper for the regular dvds.

[quote name='Magehart']I'd go Planet Earth because it's truly amazing. Band of Brothers is great but it's just Saving Private Ryan but expanded into way too many hours.[/QUOTE]

Oh God, I can't believe someone actually said this.

If the person you're getting this for even remotely holds WWII vets in any type of regard, this is a no-brainer. I can't count how many times I've watched it. I saw a few minutes of Planet Earth, and got bored. I think if I had a HD setup I would appreciate the scope so much more.

Tough call for me personally b/c I'm an environmentalist (and like to have a smoke every so often) so Planet Earth is exceptionally entertaining to me.

At the same time I'm a history channel buff and especially interested in WWII. So I own Band of Bros (nice tin) and have watched it twice fully through and am on the third viewing of it now. I have only watched about half or so of the planet earth installments but usually keep them on when I catch em.

Get him band of bros.

It was close for me, but I went with Band of Brothers. Planet Earth looks amazing in HD, but the story of BoB was astounding.

They're totally different experiences, so it's kind of odd to compare them. If you want a story-driven experience with amazing character development and some of the best action sequences you'll ever see, pick Band of Brothers.

If you want an absolutely gorgeous, surreal viewing experience that you can just sit back and marvel at, go with Planet Earth. It's simple, it's beautiful, and it has some shots that you would swear are staged or computer-generated...but they're not.

As one other note, I'd favor Band of Brothers straight up if you don't have an HDTV with either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Planet Earth is something that I think MUST be experienced in high definition.

[quote name='Mookyjooky']Wasnt band of brothers $20 bucks the other day on Amazon?[/quote]
It was 30 I believe.

bread's done
Back