Banking Checks. The thing we yell at old ladies for using at the supermarket

Pijaibros

CAGiversary!
Feedback
129 (100%)
Alright, I know in this age of debit and credit I thought there would never be a need to ask this, but here it goes.

Where can I order banking cheques from that is both cheap and reliable?

I would've ordered them from my bank's website, but they want to charge me $35.00 for 150 of them. Now I don't know about you guys, but that seems expensive to me. I can find much better uses for that money instead of wasting on a set of checks I barely ever use.

Really, I only use these things to pay my rent since I'm not about to hand over a wad of cash to some schmuck who will later claim that I never paid him for the month.

Any help would be welcome since I plan on moving to a new apartment within a few weeks and I need something I can use to pay the landlords with.

If your bank doesn't offer some form of free checks (mine even does carbon copy checks for free), then you should change banks to one that doesn't ask you to drop your pants and bend over at the teller window.

you yell at old ladies? what a dick.

I just use debit, I dont think Ive touched my free checks, maybe to set-up automatic drafting each month from my cable company or something.

[quote name='Pijaibros']Really, I only use these things to pay my rent since I'm not about to hand over a wad of cash to some schmuck who will later claim that I never paid him for the month.

Any help would be welcome since I plan on moving to a new apartment within a few weeks and I need something I can use to pay the landlords with.[/QUOTE]

The other suggestions are all correct. Call and ask your bank if they offer promotion checks (like a 100 free). If they dont you can use one of the services listed.

Finally, you can ask your Landlord for a reciept if you need one in the interim. Or you can buy money orders, which come with a form of tracking like checks. Walmart offers money orders for $0.49 each.

Good luck.

Grab the coupon ads from just about any Sunday paper, you should see 1-3 check offers every week of the year. Choose the one with the best deal/design.

Or just click these:

www.checksunlimited.com
www.imagechecks.com
www.designerchecks.com
www.checksinthemail.com

Make certain you order "duplicate checks", so you'll have a carbon copy of everything you write. Most banks don't send you back your cashed checks anymore.

As for pricing: You should be able to get 4 boxes of duplicate checks shipped for ~ $20, or 2 boxes for ~ $14. If you're paying more than that, shame on you :)

you yell at old ladies? what a dick.

I just use debit, I dont think Ive touched my free checks, maybe to set-up automatic drafting each month from my cable company or something.
I only yell at them when I am in the express line at a grocery store and they only buy a bag of apples and sugar and inisist on paying the $5.00 with a cheque.

Not before arguing about the price sticker saying that the apples were $.07 cheaper than the register price and that they should take her expired coupons. It will drive any normal man to madness.

I don't trust automatic drafting and choose to just pay everything manually via the power of interwebs. It's why I've refused to join a gym and just bought the gear at the sporting good shop for home use. Manual online banking only takes like 5 minutes to fill in the dollar amounts and it's still real convenient. Just that the people in charge of properties only take two forms of payments. Cash or cheques. I'll be damned if I give a fistful of dollars without a receipt.

My bank offered 50 free cheques when signed up--which took 2 years to go through--and everything else is free, they just have stupid prices for getting a refill on these slips of paper. The bank is National City, by the way. I'm with them only because they're across the street from my quarters.

I'll check out the links you guys posted. You folks seemed to be fairly confident with them so I'll see if I can find something on the cheap. I'm all for more suggestions and banter.

i just got some new checks i got them thru walmart actually....good quality, they have a whole bunch of designs, plus they do the carbon copy ones where you have a copy of each check you wrote so you can show the 'schmuk' :whistle2:D

http://www.walmartchecks.com/index_promo.aspx?code=WN05

here is some dude's blog where he compares check printing places.
just make sure you go with a name you trust :)
http://www.mymoneyblog.com/archives/2005/12/dont_buy_checks_1.html

good luck

ps if you run out of checks before your ordered ones come, you can go into the bank and ask for 'counter checks' they have them for customers just for this reason and at least at my bank has them for free in small quantities

[quote name='chimpian']ps if you run out of checks before your ordered ones come, you can go into the bank and ask for 'counter checks' they have them for customers just for this reason and at least at my bank has them for free in small quantities[/QUOTE]

Except a lot of places won't take them.

bread's done
Back