Barack Obama vs. Barack Obama vs. Barack Obama

rickonker

CAGiversary!
Barack Obama, May 16, 2008
[quote name='AFP']"We can't drive our SUVs and eat as much as we want and keep our homes on 72 degrees at all times ... and then just expect that other countries are going to say OK," Obama said.

"That's not leadership. That's not going to happen," he added.[/quote]

Barack Obama, January 29, 2009
[quote name='New York Times']The capital flew into a bit of a tizzy when, on his first full day in the White House, President Obama was photographed in the Oval Office without his suit jacket. There was, however, a logical explanation: Mr. Obama, who hates the cold, had cranked up the thermostat.

“He’s from Hawaii, O.K.?”
said Mr. Obama’s senior adviser, David Axelrod, who occupies the small but strategically located office next door to his boss. “He likes it warm. You could grow orchids in there.”[/quote]

Barack Obama, January 29, 2009
[quote name='Los Angeles Times']President Obama and his two young daughters have a message for Washington, based on years of Chicago winters: Toughen up.

A dusting of snow -- followed by melting temperatures, rain, sleet and then overnight freezing -- packed much of the Washington area in ice Wednesday morning. Schools throughout the region shut down -- including Sidwell Friends, where Sasha and Malia Obama are enrolled.

"Can I make a comment that is unrelated to the economy, very quickly?" Obama asked at the White House on Wednesday. "My children's school was canceled today because of what, some ice?"

As reporters and business leaders laughed, Obama added: "As my children pointed out, in Chicago, school is never canceled. In fact, my 7-year-old [Sasha] pointed out that you'd go outside for recess in weather like this. . . . You wouldn't even stay indoors. So it's -- I don't know. We're going to have to try to apply some flinty Chicago toughness to this town."

A spokeswoman for the Chicago Public Schools said snow, ice or cold has not shut down the system since Jan. 4-5, 1999, when a storm dumped nearly 2 feet of snow on the city. The University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, which the Obama girls attended, has closed only once in the last 30 years because of winter weather, said David Derbes, a longtime faculty member.

Malia, 10, is a fifth-grader at the Sidwell campus in northwest Washington. Sasha is a second-grader at the elementary school in Bethesda, Md.

Are Washingtonians weak, their father was asked?

"I'm saying," the president replied carefully, "when it comes to the weather, folks in Washington don't seem to be able to handle things."
[/quote]

Oh no, he likes to be comfortable! That son of a bitch! :roll:

I was amused with Obama's comments about the weather, though - he was right on the money. All this week I've been seeing so much coverage about the "severe winter storms" in the East, and yet we here in Wisconsin have been experiencing far worse for months. Pansies, all of them.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Oh no, he likes to be comfortable! That son of a bitch! :roll:[/QUOTE]

I'm all for being comfortable.

con6f_o.jpg

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']I was amused with Obama's comments about the weather, though - he was right on the money. All this week I've been seeing so much coverage about the "severe winter storms" in the East, and yet we here in Wisconsin have been experiencing far worse for months. Pansies, all of them.[/QUOTE]

it's not about the people, it's about the city and its resources.. you can't expect everyone to own chains and snowblowers and you can't expect the city have to enough plows when they're all so seldom needed.

Same as Seattle, a little snow here completely fucks us over because we have so few plows and other equipment (those salt/sand trucks, etc) and most businesses and residents aren't equipped for it. "Toughening up" involves spending millions on equipment, which just doesn't make sense when it's needed once a year.

Just like 100 degrees is deadly in NY because many are without AC but 110+ is common elsewhere and it's just another day... they're equipped for 110+, NY is not.

The OP has an excellent point that isn't Republican vs Democrat or even Liberal vs Conservative.

I fully disagree with Mr. Obama's senior advisor as well. "He's from Hawaii, so it's okay for him to have the temperature higher" is malarky. The man's been living in Illinois for long enough that he should be adjusted.

And the comment about toughening up is ridiculous, for reasons already pointed out. Cities don't have the funds to buy plows and other equipment that won't be used often (whether or not they squander money needlessly is another topic). Also, things are built differently depending on what part of the country you are in. For example, roadways in rainy environments are sloped more than in arid climates (to assist with runoff).

I don't expect Obama to be perfect or "fix" everything during his presidency, but I do expect more mature and less hypocritical comments than these. Hopefully this kind of attitude doesn't manifest itself more prevalantly in his politics.

I heard Obama's comments regarding Washington's weather / toughening up on NPR and it was a bit of a joke.. the tone doesn't translate to text, but it sounded as if he was joking with reporters before a press conference. The article seems rather anti-Obama, to be honest.. I don't know why else they'd write in a such a way as to say "the president replied carefully," etc when he was using a playful tone. I'm sure Obama fully understands unusual weather will always cause an unusual strain on a city.

[quote name='Koggit']it's not about the people, it's about the city and its resources.. you can't expect everyone to own chains and snowblowers and you can't expect the city have to enough plows when they're all so seldom needed.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and of course I realize that. I guess I didn't take Obama's comments very seriously. I'm fairly sure they were just an attempt at levity.

Edit:

[quote name='Koggit']I heard Obama's comments regarding Washington's weather / toughening up on NPR and it was a bit of a joke.. the tone doesn't translate to text, but it sounded as if he was joking with reporters before a press conference. The article seems rather anti-Obama, to be honest.. I don't know why else they'd write in a such a way as to say "the president replied carefully," etc when he was using a playful tone. I'm sure Obama fully understands unusual weather will always cause an unusual strain on a city.[/QUOTE]

Good, you've come to the same conclusion.

I googled "Are Washingtonians weak, their father was asked?" to find the source of the article and it was the Chicago Tribune.. that makes more sense

Wow, really? This is what the republicans are bitching about?

So... it's okay if a president lies about reasons for war, but he can't be for turning up the temperature in his house?

I don't suppose you republicans would consider some form of mass ritualistic suicide? I think you should really think it through. I mean, we know you're all really racist deep down and would hate Obama as President if he put on 100lbs, turned republican and changed his name to Colin Powell. Well, now that we've had one black president, the genie is out of the bottle and there will be more black presidents. So you have two options: suicide or move to Canada. Personally, I would take suicide.

Just make sure whatever method you use involves setting yourself on fire so all we have to do to clean up is use a dust buster.

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Wow, really? This is what the republicans are bitching about?

So... it's okay if a president lies about reasons for war, but he can't be for turning up the temperature in his house?

I don't suppose you republicans would consider some form of mass ritualistic suicide? I think you should really think it through. I mean, we know you're all really racist deep down and would hate Obama as President if he put on 100lbs, turned republican and changed his name to Colin Powell. Well, now that we've had one black president, the genie is out of the bottle and there will be more black presidents. So you have two options: suicide or move to Canada. Personally, I would take suicide.

Just make sure whatever method you use involves setting yourself on fire so all we have to do to clean up is use a dust buster.[/QUOTE]
Who are you talking to? I'm not a Republican, I was against the war from the beginning, and I don't think it's okay if a president lies about reasons for war.
So you have two options: suicide or move to Canada.
You're big on having only two options, aren't you? Republicans should commit suicide or move to Canada...everyone should love Obama and everything he does or they're Republicans...

[quote name='Survivor Charlie']Wow, really? This is what the republicans are bitching about?

[/QUOTE]

no, this is what some guy on the internet is bitching about.

bread's done
Back