Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion Collection sale: July 12 - Aug. 1

Tybee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
According to the Blu-ray.com forums, Barnes & Noble's annual (occasionally bi-annual) 50% off Criterion sale is inbound and will begin July 12. This, along with the regular Deep Discount Criterion 50% sale, is the cheapest you will find Criterions and the best way to stock up. They usually bulk up on inventory online and in-store ahead of the sale, so it's generally pretty easy to find the ones you want.

There are more ways to maximize your discount. Usually there's a $5 off coupon floating around during the sale. If anyone sees one of these, please post a link.

Additionally, if you're a Barnes & Noble Member ($25 per year), you get an another 10 percent off in-store purchases OR free expedited shipping for online orders. I learned this week that it's possible to get a free two-month trial membership (only if you've never been a member before), but you'll need to make sure you cancel before it auto-renews. You have to make a credit or debit card purchase to take advantage of this offer, so you can either do it when you buy your Criterions or just purchase a gift card for yourself.

I'll post a link to the sale when it commences.

EDIT: No firm word on an end date for the sale yet, but it's generally agreed that it will run at least two weeks (July 26) and likely three (Aug. 2). Some contend it will run for a month, but I'm skeptical about that.

EDIT 2: Got confirmation that this sale will run through Aug. 1. Pre-orders will not be included (sorry, folks counting on using this to get The Battle of Algiers).

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AceBB6']Is Makioka sisters a risky blind buy? I love Japanese culture/film and all but the trailer didn't draw me into the story.[/QUOTE]

I've seen it and didn't much like it. I've also read the book, which is better, but not my favorite among classic Japanese fiction. That said (about the movie), I'm not always a big fan of Kon Ichikawa--I like Fires on the Plain and Tokyo Olympiad, but don't really like The Burmese Harp or The Makioka Sisters.

Truth be told, I'm the same way about Ozu as I am with Ichikawa, if that helps you grade how similar our respective tastes are. I like Tokyo Story, Late Spring, Good Morning (aka Ohayo, which is the aforementioned one about the kids and the TV), and I Was Born, But..., but don't like basically the rest of his catalog.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']$8.00 off $40 here. Using ShopKick, two separate locations allowed me to use both the $5 & $8 coupons, along with the membership discount, on the same transactions. I think I got lucky.

Where is that 15% off coupon you mentioned?
Do you mean the T9P8A9P online coupon code, or is there a printable version?[/QUOTE]
What, may I ask, is ShopKick? I might try this in a B&M location today. Yes, I was referring to the online code, not a printable version.

Edit: Ah, I see it's an app. Downloaded on my iPhone now.

[quote name='arcane93']Actually, the $5 off $50 in store, combined with the 10% member discount, is a better deal than the 15% online if you're willing to buy three at a time (or whatever number of titles it takes you to pass the $50 mark with the particular ones you're buying).

$60 x 0.9 - $5 = $49 / 3 = $16.33 each in-store with $5 off $50 coupon and 10% member discount

vs.

$19.99 * 0.85 = $16.99 each with 15% off coupon

(I've bought both online and in-store, and I've noticed that for whatever reason they charge $20 each as the base price in-store, and $19.99 each as the base price online.)

So the $5 off $50 coupon isn't ideal (I'd much rather have a 15% off coupon that worked in-store with the membership discount, would take it down to $15.30 each), but it's the best sure deal right now. If, as I said, you're buying enough titles to hit that $50 mark, that is.

Kudos for getting away with getting them to give you both the $5 off $50 and the $8 together, Seasick Pirate. I'd honestly be embarrassed to even ask for that (hell, I feel nervous that they'll call me on the fact that the $5 off $50 is technically for new members), but if you can get them to do it, good for you. I hadn't even tried the $8 coupon because several people on the blu-ray.com forums had reported that it didn't work for them.

Though I do remember now where that "close enough" thing worked for me in the past, and it was B&N -- back at one point when they had a $5 off $20 coupon, I was able to use it on a $19.99 item without difficulty. Too bad they don't have those coupons anymore.[/QUOTE]
Thank you for your help. I might try to buy a $20 film and two $15 films (I have my eye on Darjeeling, Youth of the Beast, and Tokyo Drifter) to hit $50 exactly.

Edit: Well, I got a pretty awesome B&N clerk. He and I discussed Criterions for a while, as well as the transition from DVD to BR format (I am resisting, which is probably a bad idea). I picked up Salo ($20), Darjeeling Limited, Great Dictator, and Diabolique (all $15) and got my membership discount as well as the $8 off and $5 off coupons. Came out to $48 and change for all four films. I used the ShopKick app as well, not the printables. I thought maybe he wouldn't read my iPhone as closely as the printed coupon.

My first packaged just arrived (Nikkatsu Noir). Pretty quick, came in a corrugated carboard mailer but no damage. Now to decide what else to get :D

Going to place an order of The Seventh Seal, Diabolique, and one blind buy.

Someone pick the blind buy for me between The Double Life of Veronique, Army of Shadows, or Le Cercle Rouge.

[quote name='sirhansirhan']I've seen it and didn't much like it. I've also read the book, which is better, but not my favorite among classic Japanese fiction. That said (about the movie), I'm not always a big fan of Kon Ichikawa--I like Fires on the Plain and Tokyo Olympiad, but don't really like The Burmese Harp or The Makioka Sisters.

Truth be told, I'm the same way about Ozu as I am with Ichikawa, if that helps you grade how similar our respective tastes are. I like Tokyo Story, Late Spring, Good Morning (aka Ohayo, which is the aforementioned one about the kids and the TV), and I Was Born, But..., but don't like basically the rest of his catalog.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the feedback.

I placed an order for

1) Kes
2) YiYi
3) Still Walking
4) Fish Tank.

Had $75 dollars worth of credit on Amazon so I decided to place and order there since the average for those movies were about $21 bucks and 2 day shipping was free through prime.

[quote name='arcane93']The annoying thing is that BFI has already put out six Ozu blu-rays in the UK, but they're all region B coded. Criterion needs to get on the ball with these already![/QUOTE]

seriously! I'd love to have something like Floating Weeds on Blu (probably my favorite Ozu movie, and great use of color accents throughout)

So much for the express shipping, ordered Night of the Hunter late last Monday at the onset of this sale and it wont' get here till Monday. At this point I'll just wait till High and Low comes out and visit the store that day to pick up just a few more. Will probably go with Kiss Me Deadly and Broadcast News to take advantage of that $5 off $50 coupon.

[quote name='Easystride']Going to place an order of The Seventh Seal, Diabolique, and one blind buy.

Someone pick the blind buy for me between The Double Life of Veronique, Army of Shadows, or Le Cercle Rouge.[/QUOTE]

All three are excellent, but I will go with The Double Life of Veronique.

So with the 15% code, AK100 is $170. If I find a membership trial, that should bring it down to $153, before tax. That's a pretty damn tempting price for that set, but I haven't been buying anything but blu rays with a few exceptions for things that shouldn't ever come to blu. Conflict!

[quote name='JohnnyDeLicious']So with the 15% code, AK100 is $170. If I find a membership trial, that should bring it down to $153, before tax. That's a pretty damn tempting price for that set, but I haven't been buying anything but blu rays with a few exceptions for things that shouldn't ever come to blu. Conflict![/QUOTE]

You don't get the 10% member discount online, only in-store. And the current 15% coupons only work online, not in-store. So you won't be able to combine them.

On that set, the 15% off online (for $169.99) is probably your best deal currently. The next best deal would be the $8 coupon and the 10% off member discount in-store (would take it down to $171.99).

I'm still hoping we'll see a 15% (or more) off in-store coupon (which would stack with the 10% member discount) at some point before the end of the sale, but there's no guarantee of it. Of course, this would also be counting on your store actually having that set in stock. No stores around here have it.

[quote name='arcane93']You don't get the 10% member discount online, only in-store. And the current 15% coupons only work online, not in-store. So you won't be able to combine them.

On that set, the 15% off online (for $169.99) is probably your best deal currently. The next best deal would be the $8 coupon and the 10% off member discount in-store (would take it down to $171.99).

I'm still hoping we'll see a 15% (or more) off in-store coupon (which would stack with the 10% member discount) at some point before the end of the sale, but there's no guarantee of it. Of course, this would also be counting on your store actually having that set in stock. No stores around here have it.[/QUOTE]

Still hope 15%, 20%, 25% or 30% instore coupon show up soon ;)

I want to sneak a preorder for Carlos in SOOOO BAD

I managed to squeeze a preorder for the BBS Collection in last time at $40, and one for Videodrome as well, so here's hoping I can get one by again this time around.

[quote name='Masterkyo']Still hope 15%, 20%, 25% or 30% instore coupon show up soon ;)[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm hoping for. With current coupons, the best I'm doing right now is still $18.01 after tax for the $39.99 MSRP titles. That's still alot of money for one blu-ray IMO.

I still picked up 4 discs from this sale, and a couple from Amazon last month that were under $20. I think I'm done unless I see coupons that can get me down into the $12-15 range. At that price I'd be likely to pick up another handful (at least). That says alot for me because other than Criterion, I mostly wait for movies to be under $10 if not $5.

[quote name='Agent Orange']That's what I'm hoping for. With current coupons, the best I'm doing right now is still $18.01 after tax for the $39.99 MSRP titles. That's still alot of money for one blu-ray IMO. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've been justifying buying the titles that I have with the $5 off $50 coupon mostly on the basis that I'm getting three at a time. A 15% or 20% off coupon would make them a little cheaper, but I'd have to buy them one at a time (unless I get lucky and get a really nice cashier who will let me make multiple coupon purchases on the same visit), which would involve a whole lot more time, gas to get to the stores, etc. So I'm probably actually saving money (or at least breaking even) this way anyway. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. ;)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up going with The Double Life of Veronique for my blind buy, along with Diabolique and The Seventh Seal. However, after I placed my order, I watched Le Cercle Rouge on netflix stream, and I can safely say it will be a purchase in the near future. Hope I like The Double Life of Veronique!

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, I've been justifying buying the titles that I have with the $5 off $50 coupon mostly on the basis that I'm getting three at a time. A 15% or 20% off coupon would make them a little cheaper, but I'd have to buy them one at a time (unless I get lucky and get a really nice cashier who will let me make multiple coupon purchases on the same visit), which would involve a whole lot more time, gas to get to the stores, etc. So I'm probably actually saving money (or at least breaking even) this way anyway. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. ;)[/QUOTE]

The 15% coupon is ONLINE ONLY. So that saves you gas right there ;) I signed up for the free trial membership as well, so no minimum to get free shipping and based on the 1st few I ordered they ship mega fast.

My first batch I did an order of 3 with 10% off, and then another 1 disc order with 15% off (I did those on the very 1st day of the sale and got the discs within 2 days). Today I just did 5 separate 1 disc orders of 15% off. NOW when I say I'm done I really mean it LOL. Hopefully these all work out as well as the 1st batch.

[quote name='Agent Orange']The 15% coupon is ONLINE ONLY.[/QUOTE]

Um... Yeah, what's your point? I said it before (not that long ago I laid out the whole thing in detail, actually), the $5 off $50 coupon combined with the member discount in-store is cheaper (if you buy three at a time) than the 15% off online coupon (and definitely -- by $5 :) -- cheaper than the 10% off coupon). I never said that I don't want to go to the store at all (I end up near the store from time to time anyway), I said that separate trips for each individual title wouldn't be cost effective.

I've bought 11 already and will probably be picking up several more before the sale is over. That would be a lot of separate trips (or a lot of separate online orders -- would probably trigger a fraud alert on my credit card :)).

[quote name='arcane93']Um... Yeah, what's your point? I said it before (not that long ago I laid out the whole thing in detail, actually), the $5 off $50 coupon combined with the member discount in-store is cheaper (if you buy three at a time) than the 15% off online coupon (and definitely -- by $5 :) -- cheaper than the 10% off coupon). I never said that I don't want to go to the store at all (I end up near the store from time to time anyway), I said that separate trips for each individual title wouldn't be cost effective.

I've bought 11 already and will probably be picking up several more before the sale is over. That would be a lot of separate trips (or a lot of separate online orders -- would probably trigger a fraud alert on my credit card :)).[/QUOTE]

Well I wasn't sure you were aware it was online code because of your original reference to wasting gas and wasting time... no need to get defensive I was just trying to help out.

Depending on the credit card company you use there could also be benefits to shopping online. I wish I had Discover to get that extra 15% cash back as that's probably the best deal going, but AMEX has 5% and Chase has 7%. So it could still work out a bit better to do it online (before you factor in gas and time saved which are additional benefits)

[quote name='Agent Orange']Well I wasn't sure you were aware it was online code because of your original reference to wasting gas and wasting time... [/QUOTE]

We were talking about the possibility of them releasing an in-store 15% or 20% coupon at some point before the sale is over. They have done so during the last several sales. No guarantee they'll do it this time, though.

[quote name='arcane93']We were talking about the possibility of them releasing an in-store 15% or 20% coupon at some point before the sale is over. They have done so during the last several sales. No guarantee they'll do it this time, though.[/QUOTE]

Well here's hoping they do up the coupon ante. A 20% or 30% coupon is probably what I need to actually head over to a B*N to grab some more titles in person. I have 3 stores relatively near me but they are all kind of out of the way (20 miles east or 20 miles south special trip just for B*N and the third one is about 30 miles out). The retail center nearest me sadly has a Borders which went out of business, no B*N.

Did an online order for Fear & Loathing with the 15% off code. Free Express shipping with the membership was nice.

Also did in-store reservations for Blow Out, Great Dictator and Something Wild. Hopefully those will pan out and I'll be able to use the $5 off $50 and $8 off $40 coupons on the same order, plus my 10% discount in-store.

Sweet! Thanks for that coupon page! I grabbed House, Repulsion, Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence, Videodrome & Cronos w/ 10% off the 50% prices. Free shipping w/ tax... total was $95.xx which isn't too shabby! I don't own any of the Criterion Blu-rays so I'm excited to get this shipment! :)

Seems I missed the %15 off code but since it would have saved less than $3 I guess I'll live with it.
After a few sad removals from my cart I ended up getting:
Kagemusha
Robinson Crusoe on Mars
The Wages of Fear
Charade
Summer Hours
A Christmas Tale
M

Might have gotten a few more if I hadn't already spent more than I wanted at a friend's bachelor party. Criterion is worth much more than a stripper any day.

[quote name='deadbird']Anyone recomend any Bergman films on bluray?[/QUOTE]

I can safely recommend The Magician and The Seventh Seal. Both excellent films with high-quality blu-ray transfers. I haven't seen Smiles of a Summer Night yet, so I can't comment on that one.

Ugh, can't believe I just missed the 15% off coupon. Have there been any rumors on what the next blu-rays to go out of print are? I might as well pick those up first.

Went and picked up my reserves of Beauty and the Beast and The Music Room today, and grabbed Zazie Dans Le Metro to take it up high enough to use the coupon. I also got a great reminder of why I'm glad I don't work in retail. This old guy, after spending several minutes blocking me from the Criterion bin while talking on his cell phone (even though it was obvious I was trying to get around him), went up to the cashier and started grilling her on why the Criterion discs were so cheap. Like he thought B&N was trying to pull something over on him or something. The poor girl didn't even know what to say beyond "um... it's a sale?"

[quote name='ev768']Have there been any rumors on what the next blu-rays to go out of print are? I might as well pick those up first.[/QUOTE]

Criterion titles generally only go out-of-print when Criterion loses the license to something. As of right now, there has been no word of that happening with anything in the near future. I'd say just get whatever you want and don't worry about it.

As far as already out-of-print titles go, B&N does still have Pierrot Le Fou up for order on their website. It's listed as "usually ships in 1-2 weeks" and it has been out-of-print for a while now, so at this point it's hard to say whether you'll actually get it or not. Several people over on blu-ray.com who ordered it at the very beginning of the sale have reported receiving it (or at least receiving shipping notices), though, so you could always give it a try.

Picked up my three in-store reserves, Something Wild, The Great Dictator and Blow Out with my membership, the $5 off $50 coupon and the $8 off $40 coupon. Ended up being around $44 after tax for the three movies, with two at around $16 and one at around $8.

Which makes me wonder, has anyone used the $8 off $40 or $5 off $50 coupons more than once with a B&N account?

[quote name='shrike4242']Which makes me wonder, has anyone used the $8 off $40 or $5 off $50 coupons more than once with a B&N account?[/QUOTE]

I've used the $5 off $50 four times now. Haven't used the $8 one -- I dunno, I just feel weird about asking them to apply two coupons at once (on top of a sale and the member discount, at that), and that one's already dicey anyway.

So I can go to the store and just reserve titles randomly? Even if they aren't stock in store, they'll be special ordered?

[quote name='Rocko']So I can go to the store and just reserve titles randomly? Even if they aren't stock in store, they'll be special ordered?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they should be able to order them for you. I've done it before.

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, they should be able to order them for you. I've done it before.[/QUOTE]

You just saved me a long trip.

[quote name='arcane93']I've used the $5 off $50 four times now. Haven't used the $8 one -- I dunno, I just feel weird about asking them to apply two coupons at once (on top of a sale and the member discount, at that), and that one's already dicey anyway.[/QUOTE]I'll have to find three more titles at the B&N I go to regularly, which is one of their larger stores in the area so they have a very good selection of Criterions. Save one Borders store in the area that comes close, it's the best source of Criterions I can find in the area.

In case anyone here has an iPhone, that B&N App let's you check stock at your local stores and even reserve copies..! I'd imagine it's available for android as well.

[quote name='falcinator']In case anyone here has an iPhone, that B&N App let's you check stock at your local stores and even reserve copies..! I'd imagine it's available for android as well.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Since a lot of you know quite a bit about Criterion Collection, do you think we could see some Woody Allen on blu ray from them? Seeing as theyve release some Wes Anderson films I don't see why that couldn't be a possibility. Would love Crimes and Misdemeanors and Hannah and her sisters on blu. Just wanted to know if you guys thought if that would be a possibility, or is Woody Allen to mainstream?

[quote name='deadbird']Since a lot of you know quite a bit about Criterion Collection, do you think we could see some Woody Allen on blu ray from them? Seeing as theyve release some Wes Anderson films I don't see why that couldn't be a possibility. Would love Crimes and Misdemeanors and Hannah and her sisters on blu. Just wanted to know if you guys thought if that would be a possibility, or is Woody Allen to mainstream?[/QUOTE]

I don't think that "too mainstream" is necessarily a problem for Criterion (they did put out Armageddon on DVD after all -- a fact that they're going to take shit for until the end of time :lol:). However, they would have to be able to get the rights to the films, and those could be too difficult and/or expensive to get. Doubtful that the studios that own them would be too eager to give them up.

Edit: Also, just remembered to add... Woody Allen has come out and said rather directly that he's against adding special features to DVDs. Since the special features are one of the defining characteristics of most Criterion releases, he might not really be a great fit for them anyway.

[quote name='Masterkyo']20% off coupon active tomorrow. I guess i must renew my BN membership tomorrow. $19.99 - 10% member - 20% = $14 plus taxes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.

bread's done
Back