Barnes & Noble 50% Off Criterion Sale - 7/10-7/30

supershammy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Get ready, here it comes! B&N is having their bi(tri?)annual 50% off Criterion sale, starting 3AM on 7/10 (online, obviously), and at opening on 7/10 for B&M. It will end on 7/30.

Expect YMMV luck with utilizing coupons in conjunction with this sale, although 90% of the time members succeed. Coupons have come in all flavors during this sale in previous years, so it's up in the air what we are in for this go around. Coupons are said to be most frequently posted in this thread at DVD Talk.

Also expect to be able to use your B&N membership 10% off in-store discount in conjunction with this sale, or expedited shipping when ordering online.

Do not expect to be able to preorder movies using this discount (although I have been able to in the past, but only half the time).

So what are you guys looking for? I'm gonna get The Killing, Rushmore, The 400 Blows, For All Mankind, Anatomy of a Murder, Branded to Kill, Summer With Monika, Three Colors, Cul-De-Sac (maybe), Close-Up....

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='arcane93']Haha, however you'd like it. :D I now have shipping notices for all of the ones that I ordered except for Traffic.[/QUOTE]

I received an email for both my orders and everything is shipped out.

[quote name='arcane93']Haha, however you'd like it. :D I now have shipping notices for all of the ones that I ordered except for Traffic.[/QUOTE]

I have since gotten notices for 4 complete orders out of the 5 I placed. I knew all along they would ship!

The one whole order that has yet to ship included Repulsion, being John Malkovich, and 12 Angry Men. However on the website, it does say "cannot be removed" under the area where it lets you cancel. So my guess is that is in the process of shipping now.

The store here in Wilmington, NC killed their media section last year or else I'd renew my membership and go on a shopping spree...

I see folks in this topic talking of a coupon for members being likely during the sale...but doesn't that only work once, and on only one item?

Tossed in my order of Samurai Trilogy online with the 15% off coupon from my BN Buzz text message, as it was an online only coupon.

I'll wait it out for now until tomorrow and see if there's a real mystery coupon and if so, make more orders. If not, there's plenty of time for more coupons to come out.

EDIT: All you other CAGs with numerous orders are delaying mine. My single item order won't ship until tomorrow. :bomb:

[quote name='GreyFox787']I see folks in this topic talking of a coupon for members being likely during the sale...but doesn't that only work once, and on only one item?[/QUOTE]

Online coupons can only be used once per account. In-store coupons can usually (with the exception of very rare ones with unique codes) be used multiple times.

I got a delay e-mail for each item in one whole order. Repulsion, Being John Malkovich, and 12 Angry Men are now expected to ship in 1-5 buisness days. The other orders are out, but two of these movies are the ones I wanted most

...nearly spent $250 ._. Told they retroactively rebate you on the membership 10% if you sign up within 30 days... doing that ASAP.

[quote name='georox']...nearly spent $250 ._. Told they retroactively rebate you on the membership 10% if you sign up within 30 days... doing that ASAP.[/QUOTE]

Did you spend it in-store or online? The 10% member discount is only good for in-store purchases, not online purchases.

[quote name='arcane93']Did you spend it in-store or online? The 10% member discount is only good for in-store purchases, not online purchases.[/QUOTE]

In-store. :D I'm too impatient for shipping.

[quote name='georox']In-store. :D I'm too impatient for shipping.[/QUOTE]

Heh, surprised they didn't pester you into buying a membership at the time, then. ;) I actually dropped the item that I was going to buy and walked out of a Barnes and Noble recently, because the cashier spent five minutes basically bullying the guy in line in front of me into buying a membership, and then another five minutes taking down all of his information into the register. Then he discovered that it was $25 and decided he didn't want it. Since she had already entered all of his info and signed him up, she didn't know how to cancel it out, so she had to call for a manager. By that point, I'd had enough of standing there, so I set the item that I was going to buy down on the counter and left. They get way too aggressive with that shit.

But yeah, if you spent $250, get a membership. You'll only break even because you'll pay $25 for it and only get $25 back, but at least then you'll have a membership for the rest of the year, including the next Criterion sale. :)

B2G1 Free ordered all shipped. The BEST Criterion SALE EVER !!! :)

1. 12 Angry Men
2. Shallow Grave
3. The 39th Street
4. Design for Living
5. The Lady Vanishes
6. Rushmore
7. La Jetee & San Soleil
8. Anatomy of a Murder
9. Vanya on 42nd Street
10. Late Spring
11. A Hollis Frampton Odyssey
12. I Compagni (The Organizer)
13. Letter Never Sent
14. Summer Interlude
15. And Everything Is Going Fine
16. Being John Malkovich
17. A Night to Remember
18. Belle de jour
19. Branded to Kill
20. The War Room
21. Tiny Furniture
22. Welt am draht (World on Wire)
23. Gray Anatomy
24. Summer with Monika Free
25. The Gold Rush
26. Harold and Maude
27. La haine Free
28. Godzilla
29. Tokyo Drifter
30. The Rules of the Game

I picked up The Gold Rush, The Great Dictator, and Modern Times with the B2G1, even though I already own the definitive DVD versions (Mk2/Warner Home Video). Couldn't help it!

Really hope Criterion does City Lights next.

[quote name='arcane93']Heh, surprised they didn't pester you into buying a membership at the time, then. ;) I actually dropped the item that I was going to buy and walked out of a Barnes and Noble recently, because the cashier spent five minutes basically bullying the guy in line in front of me into buying a membership, and then another five minutes taking down all of his information into the register. Then he discovered that it was $25 and decided he didn't want it. Since she had already entered all of his info and signed him up, she didn't know how to cancel it out, so she had to call for a manager. By that point, I'd had enough of standing there, so I set the item that I was going to buy down on the counter and left. They get way too aggressive with that shit.

But yeah, if you spent $250, get a membership. You'll only break even because you'll pay $25 for it and only get $25 back, but at least then you'll have a membership for the rest of the year, including the next Criterion sale. :)[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough only one employee asked me about the membership.. same one that said they retroactively can do stuff from up to 30 days ago. If I buy ONE more title, I've hit $250.. so yea going for the membership and grabbing another title.

Looks like coupons have stop working for the sale.:

Note: This item does not qualify for coupons or promotional discounts unless expressly stated.

[quote name='CMoney™']Looks like coupons have stop working for the sale.:

Note: This item does not qualify for coupons or promotional discounts unless expressly stated.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, that's... inconvenient. Hopefully they still work in-store. Though I didn't get a "mystery coupon" email anyway. :cry: (Not surprised, I never do.)

[quote name='arcane93']Ugh, that's... inconvenient. Hopefully they still work in-store. Though I didn't get a "mystery coupon" email anyway. :cry: (Not surprised, I never do.)[/QUOTE]YMMV

And to think, I waited specially for today for the coupon. The Visa coupon code doesn't work either.

Edit - Stores in my area are running out of stock of certain titles, so I can't even try the coupons.

[quote name='CMoney™']YMMV

And to think, I waited specially for today for the coupon. The Visa coupon code doesn't work either.[/QUOTE]It did yesterday, which was when I placed my order. I knew it was a Visa coupon they sent via BN Buzz because when I tried to pay with Paypal, it removed itself from being used. Switching back to Visa, worked without an issue.

About the mystery coupon issue, according to the thread on SD about it, it's the same as before, 15%/20%/30%/50%, though they may be unique codes this time around. No email from them to me with one, of course.

[quote name='shrike4242']About the mystery coupon issue, according to the thread on SD about it, it's the same as before, 15%/20%/30%/50%, though they may be unique codes this time around. No email from them to me with one, of course.[/QUOTE]

Yup, what I'm seeing on blu-ray.com ad DVD Talk seems to indicate that they're unique codes. I was hoping they wouldn't be, but oh well... Hopefully we get some more general coupons next week.

[quote name='arcane93']Yup, what I'm seeing on blu-ray.com ad DVD Talk seems to indicate that they're unique codes. I was hoping they wouldn't be, but oh well... Hopefully we get some more general coupons next week.[/QUOTE]It's been that way for the last couple "mystery" coupons that they had, as I think the last Criterion sale had the "mystery" coupon that wasn't a unique code, as they were the short numeric codes. Once they went to alphanumeric codes, they all went to be unique.

The evil thing might be to lurk on SD and snatch them up when they get posted, though that would be evil. :evil:

[quote name='shrike4242']The evil thing might be to lurk on SD and snatch them up when they get posted, though that would be evil. :evil:[/QUOTE]

All indications are that they've shut them down for online use for the Criterion sale, so you'd have to race all the SD'ers to the store then. :lol:

[quote name='arcane93']All indications are that they've shut them down for online use for the Criterion sale, so you'd have to race all the SD'ers to the store then. :lol:[/QUOTE]They have other uses than the Criterion sale, you know. :razz:

Though yes, I would have to out-race SDers to use them, except that's not that hard. :D

[quote name='shrike4242']They have other uses than the Criterion sale, you know. :razz: [/QUOTE]

You mean you plan to have any money left after the Criterion sale is accounted for??? :razz: Between it and buying a PS Vita last weekend, I'm tapped out for... a while. :D

Went to look at Criterions on Wednesday, nothing I couldn't live without.

Only really interested in: Being John Malkovich, Godzilla, and Gimme Shelter (OOS).

Went to the store closest to me today and they had virtually every criterion blu in stock except for the few OOP one's. I used the buzz code and ended up with Bottle Rocket, M, Harold & Maude, and The 39 Steps for $81.

What is the Buzz code?

I also tried to use my 15% off mystery coupons in store to no avail. I had two and neither worked. Even the cashier next to mine said that they worked yesterday.

Does the $8 off coupon still work?

M

[quote name='Mikerocosms']What is the Buzz code?

I also tried to use my 15% off mystery coupons in store to no avail. I had two and neither worked. Even the cashier next to mine said that they worked yesterday.

Does the $8 off coupon still work?

M[/QUOTE]

I tried mystery coupon at 2 stores & no GO. Regular $8 off coupon is worked perfectly. Seem like the stores have big problem with mystery coupon!!!!

Can I ask where you guys get these $8 coupons? I could definitely use one, as I forgot to order an item i wanted when they were B2G1

[quote name='JP73']Can I ask where you guys get these $8 coupons? I could definitely use one, as I forgot to order an item i wanted when they were B2G1[/QUOTE]

Click on the link in the first post.

M

Ah, it requires a paid membership. Is that membership worth it? I likely wouldn't buy much there other than Criterion deals like these.

[quote name='JP73']Ah, it requires a paid membership. Is that membership worth it? I likely wouldn't buy much there other than Criterion deals like these.[/QUOTE]

Just sign up for the free two month trial membership. It requires that you make one online purchase to get it. I always just purchase a $10 gift card.

M

Thanks for the heads up on the two month free trial membership. Going to swing by B&N tomorrow on my way to Best Buy and hopefully be able to pick up a few movies in celebration of my new job.

dvd- World on a Wire
the Great dictator
Modern Times
12 Angry Men
Tiny Furniture
Three Outlaw Samurai
Belle De Jour
The Gold Rush

Blu ray- A Night to Rememeber
Samurai Triogly
Island of Lost Souls
Paths of Glory
Godzilla

They didn't accept the $8 off coupon :(

Here is my haul and what I will be getting soon. All on blu-ray.

Already purchased:
Beauty and the Beast
Cronos
Diabolique
Fanny and Alexander
House
Last Temptation of Christ
Orpheus
Phantom Carriage
Salo: 120 Days of Sodom
Samurai Trilogy
Videodrome
Wings of Desire

Purchasing Soon:
Dazed and Confused
Last Emperor
Magician
Shock Corridor

OK, something weird happened that makes me suspicious. One of my orders I ordered 3 Essential Arthouse titles. One of them was Throne of Blood. But when i opened it, inside instead of the arthouse booklet and disc, there was the Criterion booklet and disc. I guess I shouldn't complain, but isn't that weird? Does Barnes and Noble open and repackage some of their stuff? Also, the case was black and not clear like all other Arthosue releases.

Got Dazed and Confused on Ebay, that made me go out and buy Thin Red Line, Rushmore, and Traffic with a price match at Best Buy.

Traded in some games, and spent 40 out of pocket for 5 CCs.

So anyone getting this PMed at Best Buy, are you getting the 50% off PMed or B&N list price PMed. Cause the Samurai Trilogy is 60 at BB, so itd be 30 instead of 35 (i no some of you have the extra 10 off tho).

EDIT: Nvm Sanjuro/Yojimbo and Samurai Trilogy arent in stock near me.

[quote name='Abeja']So anyone getting this PMed at Best Buy, are you getting the 50% off PMed or B&N list price PMed. Cause the Samurai Trilogy is 60 at BB, so itd be 30 instead of 35 (i no some of you have the extra 10 off tho).

EDIT: Nvm Sanjuro/Yojimbo and Samurai Trilogy arent in stock near me.[/QUOTE]

well I had a new girl price match them so she only checked the online price I think.

didnt call a store

[quote name='derkduck']Thinking about picking up Antichrist is it worth it? I have heard pretty good things about it.[/QUOTE]

Antichrist is actually free to stream with amazon Prime, so if you can sign up for the free trial you can watch it and see for yourself

[quote name='derkduck']Thinking about picking up Antichrist is it worth it? I have heard pretty good things about it.[/QUOTE]

I thought it was very good, but it's definitely not for everybody. It's very violent, and in a very gruesome way -- normally violence doesn't particularly bother me in films (I can watch, for example, Takashi Miike movies without even flinching), but Antichrist made me cringe heavily in a few places. If you are at all prone to experiencing what you see on the screen viscerally, you will likely come out of it feeling violated. It's very abstract -- you will come out of your first viewing, and probably your second, wondering what in the hell you just watched. It can be interpreted as a very misogynistic movie, though in my opinion that's a very simplistic interpretation which focuses too much on the surface. If you don't like your movies to be confrontational and challenging, you probably won't like it. One thing is almost certain, though -- whether you love it, hate it, or are just plain baffled by it, you won't come out of the experience neutral to it.

If all of that sounds good to you (and you're willing to take the risk of falling on the "hate it" side), then you should pick it up. If any of it makes you say "um, never mind...", then you might want to skip it (or at least watch it through some other means before buying).

I'd recommend going in as blind as possible on the first viewing -- avoid reading anything about it or discussing it with anyone who has seen it. Experience it as freshly as possible, and think of it as an experience rather than trying too hard to follow a narrative. Then afterward, hit up the internet and read some of the extensive interpretation that's been done of it before watching it a second time. Here are a few articles that I found particularly interesting:

http://www.filmquarterly.org/2009/12/antichrist-a-discussion/
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/05/a_devils_advocate_for_antichri.html
http://www.moviemartyr.com/2009/antichrist.htm

[quote name='JP73']Antichrist is actually free to stream with amazon Prime, so if you can sign up for the free trial you can watch it and see for yourself[/QUOTE]

It's also still on Netflix Instant Watch, despite the fact that they were supposedly pulling all of the Criterion films by the end of last year...

[quote name='arcane93']I thought it was very good, but it's definitely not for everybody. It's very violent, and in a very gruesome way -- normally violence doesn't particularly bother me in films (I can watch, for example, Takashi Miike movies without even flinching), but Antichrist made me cringe heavily in a few places. If you are at all prone to experiencing what you see on the screen viscerally, you will likely come out of it feeling violated. It's very abstract -- you will come out of your first viewing, and probably your second, wondering what in the hell you just watched. It can be interpreted as a very misogynistic movie, though in my opinion that's a very simplistic interpretation which focuses too much on the surface. If you don't like your movies to be confrontational and challenging, you probably won't like it. One thing is almost certain, though -- whether you love it, hate it, or are just plain baffled by it, you won't come out of the experience neutral to it.

If all of that sounds good to you (and you're willing to take the risk of falling on the "hate it" side), then you should pick it up. If any of it makes you say "um, never mind...", then you might want to skip it (or at least watch it through some other means before buying).

I'd recommend going in as blind as possible on the first viewing -- avoid reading anything about it or discussing it with anyone who has seen it. Experience it as freshly as possible, and think of it as an experience rather than trying too hard to follow a narrative. Then afterward, hit up the internet and read some of the extensive interpretation that's been done of it before watching it a second time. Here are a few articles that I found particularly interesting:

http://www.filmquarterly.org/2009/12/antichrist-a-discussion/
http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/05/a_devils_advocate_for_antichri.html
http://www.moviemartyr.com/2009/antichrist.htm

It's also still on Netflix Instant Watch, despite the fact that they were supposedly pulling all of the Criterion films by the end of last year...[/QUOTE]
You just made me really want to go buy it now! Thank you :applause:

Total this sale:
Royal Tenanbaums
The Killing
Paths of Glory
Shallow Grave
Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
The Red Shoes

Oh, and a tip for derkDuck don't watch Antichrist:

While eating
With your significant other
While in an altered state of any kind
With your parents
With the volume up or your neighbors might call the police

(You know, we could probably make a pretty extensive list of things not to do while watching this movie)

bread's done
Back