Baten Kaitos and Xenosaga announced for DS!!!!!!!!

ChrisXE

Banned
Reputable German website Gamefront, along with various other foreign and US sites, are reporting that Namco has announced plans to bring Xenosaga and Baten Kaitos to the Nintendo DS. Namco's already shown strong support for the DS, so I guess it isn't a huge surprise that they're bringing more games to the DS, but I don't think anyone expected these two. How they'll translate to the DS, I'm not sure. Toned-down (graphically) ports might be possible, but they could also be completely new games in the BK and Xeno franchises. We'll have to wait and see...

Baten Kaitos was released a couple weeks ago for GameCube and received pretty good reviews. Xenosaga is the well-known massive PS2 RPG

credit GAF

Finally some RPG's (along with lunar, Grandia) :), DS is looking to have a very bright future

[quote name='Parathod']Wow, that's awesome. Thanks for the news, ChrisXE.[/quote]

no problem, RPG's are my fav genre so it looks like i made the right choice with the DS, but i will show PSP some love when its release since it has a TALES game coming out

Hey man, you have some links to this info? I checked all the american nintendo news sites and have yet to see this.

I really hope its true :)

i wonder wat else theyll bring over :)..personally i didnt like xenosaga that much...or at all :whistle2:\..i mean, the straw that broke the camels back was the 37 minute long scene about NOTHING! just space jargon -__-

[quote name='greydemise']i wonder wat else theyll bring over :)..personally i didnt like xenosaga that much...or at all :whistle2:\..i mean, the straw that broke the camels back was the 37 minute long scene about NOTHING! just space jargon -__-[/quote]

best thing about it is, impossble to put them cutscenes into a DS cart(well at least not as much) so we will get a heavy dose of gameplay

[quote name='maxflight']ign also has info on this:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/569/569825p1.html

and mr driller drill spirits review is out, I think I'll get it even though they say it's average. I'm a mr. driller fan and having it on the go sounds good to me.[/quote]

Yeah, the reviews at IGN and Gamespot weren't good, but they were like "It's too much like Mr. Driller...6.5!"

I saw this news at Namco's Japanese page. It'll probably take forever for them to hit the states. Either way, two more must haves for the DS.

[quote name='alongx'][quote name='maxflight']ign also has info on this:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/569/569825p1.html

and mr driller drill spirits review is out, I think I'll get it even though they say it's average. I'm a mr. driller fan and having it on the go sounds good to me.[/quote]

Yeah, the reviews at IGN and Gamespot weren't good, but they were like "It's too much like Mr. Driller...6.5!"

I saw this news at Namco's Japanese page. It'll probably take forever for them to hit the states. Either way, two more must haves for the DS.[/quote]

im getting MR driller jsut because i never played one before and they will be in very short print :)

While I haven't played those franchises I'm very happy some RPGs are coming to the DS. Great news.

[quote name='ChrisXE'][quote name='greydemise']i wonder wat else theyll bring over :)..personally i didnt like xenosaga that much...or at all :whistle2:\..i mean, the straw that broke the camels back was the 37 minute long scene about NOTHING! just space jargon -__-[/quote]

best thing about it is, impossble to put them cutscenes into a DS cart(well at least not as much) so we will get a heavy dose of gameplay[/quote]

The problem with that logic is that the story is a huge, HUGE part of xenosaga. If you've played Xenogears you know lack of FMV is NOT going to mean more gameplay instead of watching a 30 minute video you'll be reading 30 minutes of text because thats exactly how Xenogears worked.

Personally I'd hope these are completly differnt chapters from the home versions because it'd just cause same complaints that the PSP is getting about a couple of games being a little too similar to the home versions.

If you;re going to bring to series to a new platform you need to make it WORK for the system by playing up it's strengths not shoehorning someone elses game into it.

WOOOO! :D Thanks for the news Chris.

Now I have to resist the urge to buy a DS at full price though....

Grrrrrrr

[quote name='Alpha2']If you;re going to bring to series to a new platform you need to make it WORK for the system by playing up it's strengths not shoehorning someone elses game into it.[/quote]

true for any console-portable transition, hopefully namco is capable

the tales series are often text/cutscene heavy and they made a gba version if that is any indication (tho not in the us)

[quote name='Alpha2']The problem with that logic is that the story is a huge, HUGE part of xenosaga. If you've played Xenogears you know lack of FMV is NOT going to mean more gameplay instead of watching a 30 minute video you'll be reading 30 minutes of text because thats exactly how Xenogears worked.

Personally I'd hope these are completly differnt chapters from the home versions because it'd just cause same complaints that the PSP is getting about a couple of games being a little too similar to the home versions.

If you;re going to bring to series to a new platform you need to make it WORK for the system by playing up it's strengths not shoehorning someone elses game into it.[/quote]

They could make a more action oriented chapter for the DS, or even like a sidestory. I think it'd be very reasonable to place Xenosaga Ep. 3 on the DS, or Xenosaga Gaiden or something. If they did more story telling in battles - like if you're fighting a bad guy, don't have 20 minutes of dialog before the fight, but make a few quick exchanges between your characters and the enemy mid-battle. It could be very hot. Also, for BK, I think that'd translate really well into a DS game.

[quote name='Wlogan31']Must not give in...must wait for price drop...[/quote]

By the time the games come out there will be at least a price drop.

it would have to be a sidestory, taking it from a console to a portable means either a direct port of a console game (which in the case of Xenosaga atleast is impossible) or a game outside of the regular continuity.

[quote name='Alpha2']it would have to be a sidestory, taking it from a console to a portable means either a direct port of a console game (which in the case of Xenosaga atleast is impossible) or a game outside of the regular continuity.[/quote]
I bet you ten whole cents that it's gonna be a whole game about one of the minigames found in the first Xenosaga (the mech game, card game, etc)

You know I've long since said they should actually release a collection of RPG minigames. between the Golden Saucer in FF7, Tetramaster and the card game in the original Xenogears they;d easily have my 25-30 bucks I went to far into the game without trying to play the card game in Xenosaga though.

But I wouldnt be suprised if they really did just put out Yugioh clones.

bread's done
Back