Baten Kaitos vs. Tales of Symphonia....which is better?

Dazz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (91%)
I have Baten (not opened yet) and Tales on its way in from a trade. My question to those who have played one or both of these is which is better? Why is the other one better.

Baten by far imo. I disliked Tales' real-time combat system, and the story was a rehash of FFX (up until close to the 20 hour mark at least, where I got tired of it & quit).

Baten is extremely original both in gameplay and design. Possibly the best RPG I played last year, any system.

Tales is better. It's 4 players and no frekin card battles. I am so god damn tired of this gimmik! The story also actually goes places unlike Baten which sinks and sinks the entire game until its an oozing pile of suck.

[quote name='BLarR']Tales is better. It's 4 players and no frekin card battles. I am so god damn tired of this gimmik! The story also actually goes places unlike Baten which sinks and sinks the entire game until its an oozing pile of suck.[/quote]

I agree that most card battle games suck, however, I think KH: CoM pulled it off well.

Didn't play Baten Kaitos, so I can't make a fair judgment. However, Tales was an absolute blast for me. Until Katamari Damacy came out, I really thought it was going to be my favorite game of the year. The real-time combat system in Tales is just so good. Although I have only seen videos of Baten, the battles looked really slow compared to Tales.

Holy smokes.........are you sure you didn't want to ask "Tales or Skies of Arcadia?" That seems to be one of the most popular questions around here.

Oh, as for my opinion....Tales is much better. I returned Baten cause I thought it stunk. I loved every minute of Tales, tho.

[quote name='Greetard'][quote name='BLarR']Tales is better. It's 4 players and no frekin card battles. I am so god damn tired of this gimmik! The story also actually goes places unlike Baten which sinks and sinks the entire game until its an oozing pile of suck.[/quote]

I agree that most card battle games suck, however, I think KH: CoM pulled it off well.[/quote]

I agree that KH: CoM pulled off the card battle thing well, but they stupid using cards to open doors got old..... espically when it had to equal a certain valve..... that I never had *grumble*

I liked Baten Kaitos better. It was more pleasing visually and in gameplay. I felt the Baten Kaitos' battle system was quick and more stimulating, insteading of just hitting a button you actually need to plan out what cards to use etc. I loved it, it kept my attention!

[quote name='Lucky13']Holy smokes.........are you sure you didn't want to ask "Tales or Skies of Arcadia?" That seems to be one of the most popular questions around here.

Oh, as for my opinion....Tales is much better. I returned Baten cause I thought it stunk. I loved every minute of Tales, tho.[/quote]

Bout to say the same thing.

I played about 30 hrs into Tales at which point it lost my interest... Starting another disc just seemed tedious. I really love the combat system though, and the characters are pretty cool. Baten is much different... The voice acting is absolutely pathetic... It makes me not want to play the game. However the visuals and gameplay are quite fun, although I haven''t been playing it recently. :?

Final Fantasy IV. =)

I'm playing Tales, it's a well designed game, it just feels reeeeally drawn out. I guess I"m near the end and I'm kinda bored. Just trying to finish it so I can move on to another RPG

Im a big Baten fan. Just about done with it and im very satisfied. I have Tales, but i havnt played it yet, waiting until i finish Baten.
Just wondering, is Tales' battle system like Grandia 2's?

Aren't you guy tired of real time fighting RPG? Keep hitting and hitting the damn button. Same goes of Turn-base RPG.

Why don't the Japanese make game to be fun like Diablo 2 instead. Much funner.

[quote name='mgsvr']Aren't you guy tired of real time fighting RPG? Keep hitting and hitting the damn button. Same goes of Turn-base RPG.

Why don't the Japanese make game to be fun like Diablo 2 instead. Much funner.[/quote]

Does this qualify as English? And you can't convince me that Diablo involves less button hitting than Tales does. Tales at least has combos and other people to control.

Anyway, I had Tales and it owned my soul for a while. I'm not really sure why. The story was cliched and the script was horrible. The voices were good, just the stuff they were saying was horrible. The battles are great though, and the visual style is also quite nice.

I heard that Baten had a terrible story, anyone able to back that up or refute it?

[quote name='mgsvr']Aren't you guy tired of real time fighting RPG? Keep hitting and hitting the damn button. Same goes of Turn-base RPG.

Why don't the Japanese make game to be fun like Diablo 2 instead. Much funner.[/quote]

Funny part is you mash/click the button more in Diablo 2 than any RPG or action/RPG in the entire genre.

Smoke less please.

I've been playing both off and on, and it's tough for me to say which is better. I love ToS's style, and the story is much better than BK's, but I'm really having fun with BK, as well.
I have to agree with the person who thought the voice acting in Baten Kaitos was awful. Honestly, I think it's the worst I've ever heard in a video game. I just sit there and wonder how anyone could have accepted it for the final product. It's that bad. Thankfully, you can turn the voices off.

They are both great games. That said, I paid full price on TOS and didn't feel cheated at all. I got my money's worth (played through it 4 times). I only paid $25 for Kaitos and I feel good about the deal. If I had paid $50 for Baten Kaitos I would have been disappointed.

I won't ever trade in either though. That are going to be in my collection for sure.

Play BK, turn off the Voice-Acting. The story tries to go in some new directions (you, as the player, are an actual character in the game) with varied results... but the battle systems is fast paced and strategic all at the same time... and the GREAT MIZUTI ROCKS!

I think Tales is better because they don't sound like Robots like they do in Baten. The fighting was a lot more fun to. Especially when you have to do the combo attacks n stuff. =D Fun fun.

I have just gotten to disk 2 on Baten Kaitos and think it's a pretty good game so far. I haven't played ToS. When I was comparing the two, ToS had a bit too much of an Anime look and feel so I went with BK. I really enjoy the battle system in BK as it makes you actually think about what order to do things. It's not just the basic "Attack" or "Cast Heal" system. The story line is okay, although a bit too predictable. And thus far the battles have been pretty easy. Once you learn it's a bad idea to use fire and ice attacks (etc) in the same round, the battles become fairly straight forward.

The "deck of cards" you build for each character add some depth to the game, but typically when you get new cards to add they are just stronger than the old ones. Thus it's a no brainer to replace the weakest card with the strong one (okay, so you may want to consider the elemental, number, and combo aspects too...but I'm not going that far in depth!). Then just decide on what mix of offensive, defensive, and item cards you want for each character. Anyhow, it's a good RPG that I am thoroughly enjoying so far.

sorry to revive an old topic, but all RPG fans should definitely check this game out.

DON'T let the fact that it's a card based game turn you away from this RPG gem. card based in an rpg is nothing more than selecting an action from a menu.

I personally didn't find the voice acting too annoying, it is decent.

Graphics wise this game is BEAUTIFUL. every area is a work of art. it's like a painting if you can take a screenshot anytime.

for the people who only tried the game the first 15 minutes or so (or demos at gamecube kiosks). it doesn't do the game any justice because they teach you strategies and stuff when you get to the 2nd town. also you'd never get to the point where when cards have more than 1 number on it from the demos.

also the cards change over time, i.e. milk turns to cheese etc. of course you can also create cards by combining stuff.

bottom line, don't pass this game up if you have a gc and you're an rpg fan!

I've played and beaten both - now here's the word.

Tales of Symphonia: Voice acting is pretty good. Never really that annoying - and while at first it seems sort of cliche - the characters are extremely lovable and develop drastically within that cliche moment. The story REALLY picks up too after a plot twist that occurs within 10-15 hours into the game. Overall the game took me 40 hours to beat without any sidequests and was a fantastic game. It was fun to level up - the boss battles were extremely bad ass - and the end boss you just had to feel for.

Baten Kaitos: Voice acting is horrible. I turned it off within 30 seconds of playing - I couldn't stand it. The battle system though is really intuitive and I give them credit for creating something that makes battles feel more action packed and in some cases - frantic and desperate (really puts you in the mood when you go against a bad ass too). The story and characters though...It took 20-25+ hours JUST to hit the first twist. The first 25 hours will be spent collecting what are essentially guardians. 4-5 temples to beat. The characters I couldn't love. The dialogue was just...meh. If there is one thing that killed this game - it was the dialogue at times. The development wasn't all that great until the plot twist. If you are extremely patient though and manage to get through that devastating 25 hours, you are rewarded with a pretty damn risky plot twist on NAMCO's part and a story that is really unique.

ToS and Baten Kaitos both have their bullshit at the beginning, it's just that in Tales, the characters were more lovable and the bullshit only lasted 10-15 hours as oppossed to Baten Kaitos's painful 20-25 hours of non-stop "why do I care" syndrome. In fact, you may get to the plot twist and say, "it's a little too late - i've already lost interest."

I know seven people who have dropped baten kaitos at the plot twist mark just because they were sick of running bullshit errands stuck in the story, which felt like something to elongate the playtime rather than develop the story and characters. ToS also has more replay value (lots of extra goodies which make you want to play through it again).

I personally would pick Tales over Baten Kaitos. Your Choice.

Tales is better. Played through it TWICE, just to see...well...I can't ruin it for you...but certain choices you make in the game affect the story later on. It was a blast.

Baten, on the other hand, sucked. I give it props for the graphics, but everything else was terrible. The voice acting made me want to kill myself, and the card system was horribly executed. Plus, the main character was a dick, so I didn't really care about him or the story.

[quote name='Maverick CRV']Tales is better. Played through it TWICE, just to see...well...I can't ruin it for you...but certain choices you make in the game affect the story later on. It was a blast.

Baten, on the other hand, sucked. I give it props for the graphics, but everything else was terrible. The voice acting made me want to kill myself, and the card system was horribly executed. Plus, the main character was a dick, so I didn't really care about him or the story.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, and the main character was a major cock. You couldn't really sympathize with him - and you really had no fucking clue why anyone even helped him/stayed in his party.

It depends on what you want - originality or classic.

ToS has a real-time combat system on a limited 3D "arena". This means you can control any character and hack and slash as much as you want (fighting is manual for human-controlled characters). ToS also has cel-shaded graphics, which give the game a very "anime-style" feel.

Baten Kaitos has a card-based (not like Yu-Gi-Oh!, but more like KH: CoM) combat system, where speed/reflexes is a big key. Cards represent items (armor, weapons, healing, etc.), and combat is turn-based. Baten Kaitos also has fancy 3D graphics, rivaling Final Fantasy. Backgrounds are often colorful, and the amount of color and spontaneity will represent the land itself. For example, an industrial town will have large, gold buildings and active factories.

Tale > Baten>.... Trash> Shit> Hell>............................................................................... Skies> Bush

[quote name='David85']Tale > Baten>.... Trash> Shit> Hell>............................................................................... Skies> Bush[/QUOTE]
^^ What?

bread's done
Back