Batman Arkham (CITY) Origins (Spoilers free mini review)

TheRainCoat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I'm about a couple hours in and it looks almost exactly like Arkham city...

Literally, one of the earliest scenes where you learn to use the smokeball is practically verbatim of how they did it in Arkham City, sans Harley Quinn.

It looks like a really good DLC, but as for another $60 game I am disappointed so far.

Maybe that'll all change. Who else has played so far?

I agree. It feels like a buggy (PC version at least) DLC for Arkham City. The part I really don't get is that if this is a prequel to AA with a young Batman, why do you start with more toys than you had in AA? Specifically the grappnel boost, which Alfred states in AC is still undergoing testing, yet it seems to work just fine at the beginning of Origins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. It feels like a buggy (PC version at least) DLC for Arkham City. The part I really dont't get is that if this is a prequell to AA with a young Batman, why do you start with more toys than you had in AA. Specifically the grappnel boost, which Alfred states in AC is still undergoing testing, yet it serms to work just fine at the beginning of origins.
Continuity error most likely.

Yeah, WB Montreal must have missed that.

Either way, it's still a very fun game. Unfortunately, it was the follow up to two of the best games of the generation...expectations were astronomical.
I agree, it is incredibly fun. And, it has a ton of villains, most unused by the series so far. The biggest issue seems to be people expecting originality in the third game in a series. Every time a series goes in a new direction, people cry foul (think when Zelda took left turns) and every time they just refine, people complain about not being original. If you liked Arkham City, you will like this game too. If you absolutely cannot stomach paying full price for a third Batman game, wait a few weeks and I'm sure it will be on sale for Black Friday. It is definitely a great game, the only question is your own tolerance for threequels.

I agree. It feels like a buggy (PC version at least) DLC for Arkham City. The part I really don't get is that if this is a prequel to AA with a young Batman, why do you start with more toys than you had in AA? Specifically the grappnel boost, which Alfred states in AC is still undergoing testing, yet it seems to work just fine at the beginning of Origins.
WB Montreal said they didn't want to sacrifice gameplay for things to make sense so they included the best gadgets despite that he wasn't supposed to have them yet.

I started out really enjoying Origins, but the further in I get the more problems I have with it. It's incredibly clear that something went wrong in the making of this game. Not sure if it is because it was a rush job or if it's because WB Montreal doesn't have much experience, but whatever it is it did not translate to a great game. It is good, though. Definitely worth $40 or less. So far, my biggest gripe is all of the freezing and glitches that I've putting up with on the PS3. I've noticed that in quite a few rooms while I'm fighting that if I get too close to the corner that Batman will get stuck and can't do anything but get hit. This has lead to more than a little frustration... Actually, the more I think about it the more this reminds me of DR2: Off the Record. It's almost the exact same thing, but a prequel instead of a What If? scenario.

WB Montreal said they didn't want to sacrifice gameplay for things to make sense so they included the best gadgets despite that he wasn't supposed to have them yet.

I started out really enjoying Origins, but the further in I get the more problems I have with it. It's incredibly clear that something went wrong in the making of this game. Not sure if it is because it was a rush job or if it's because WB Montreal doesn't have much experience, but whatever it is it did not translate to a great game. It is good, though. Definitely worth $40 or less. So far, my biggest gripe is all of the freezing and glitches that I've putting up with on the PS3. I've noticed that in quite a few rooms while I'm fighting that if I get too close to the corner that Batman will get stuck and can't do anything but get hit. This has lead to more than a little frustration... Actually, the more I think about it the more this reminds me of DR2: Off the Record. It's almost the exact same thing, but a prequel instead of a What If? scenario.
It might be a port thing, but the game is really stable on the 360. Only bug I have seen is it locked up one time when I upgraded a power. I haven't really gotten stuck anywhere, but there are a few places you would think he would be able to access but cannot, and there were some like this in Arkham City. As far as getting cornered in fights, I've noticed for the most part, the free flow tends to redirect the fight away from walls (except for beat-downs, which will wall slam the bad guy) - for example, against Deathstroke, if you get too close to the edge of the room while attacking him, you will do a throw instead of a punch that will move the fight back into the middle of the room, same with most other fights, the animation engine tries to keep you away from the walls in fights. The worst part though is when you are close and the camera is limited, you sometimes get an angle you cannot see an incoming attack you need to parry, but it has been like that since game 1. I've found that if I am near a wall and guys are close by, I just parry repeatedly and it will almost always catch an incoming attack (because they won't let up) and re-center the fight away from the wall.

I simply love the fight system, there is a poetry/rhythm to it. When you really get into the groove the camera will spin constantly as you flow from bad guy to bad guy, almost as if it was a premeditated cut scene. Yet, if my timing is off, it never goes well. It looks scripted, yet it painfully obvious that I am definitely in control of my success or failure. And Deathstroke in particular gives you that feeling of if I lose it's on me, I can get better - never feeling cheap.

bread's done
Back