Batman Begins DE shortage

gsr

CAGiversary!
Okay, something's up with this release. Folks are discussing over at hometheaterforum and on ign's dvd boards(need to be an insider, so i can't read it, but i see the topics).

DDD, walmart.com, bestbuy.com have all pulled their listings for the deluxe edition.

Amazon jacked their price up by $5 and circuitcity only ships, no in-store option.

I picked up the last copy at a local walmart for a full $25.

Fry's said they received 3 copies at each of their stores.

Now, I'm hearing that production on the DE's has stopped and this is it. Whatever's out there is all the stock there is.

No idea what's going on, but it's advisable to pick one up now, even if that means MSRP...It's only a matter of time before Fleabay has them listed as *rare* or *hard to find*.

Luckily local K-Mart's have plenty of copies, because nobody buys DVDs there.

Seriously, my store must have gotten in about six copies of this, all still sitting there.

[quote name='PenguinMaster']Why would you buy one for $25 at walmart when it's $20 on Amazon.com?[/QUOTE]

i don't want to wait..I want to watch it tomorrow.

I just saved the target ad to my MS Word and edited the price to match their original 15.98 price. BB matched this for me today although they didn't want to.

I thought it was well made, and entertaining when I watched it in the theatre, but not enough that I would want to watch it again. If this is it for the Deluxe edition, then I'm probably never going to purchase it.

[quote name='Staind204']Am i the only one who didn't think the movie was that great?[/QUOTE]

No. Maybe I'm just partial to Keaton though.

This is so true. I went to Best Buy, Walmart, & Target to find the Deluxe Edition. Nothing but WS and FS versions. Finally went to Circuit City and hidden in a small corner were 6 copies. I pricematched Walmart's online price and took it home for 15.17 + tax. And I got a limited edition lithograph.

I didn't see a single copy of the two disk set at my local Wal-Mart today.
I did see maybe three or four copies at my local Best Buy.

The movie was ok.. Keaton will always be batman for me.. Dr. Cranes lips kinda freaked me.

[quote name='Staind204']Am i the only one who didn't think the movie was that great?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='tayaf69']I just saved the target ad to my MS Word and edited the price to match their original 15.98 price. BB matched this for me today although they didn't want to.[/QUOTE]

Well, aren't you a smart crook then - you should be so proud.

... i havent had any problems seeing the Deluxe Editions in any of the local stores. Walmart, Best Buy, and Target all had plenty in stock - i'd say at least 20 and Best Buy had a huge center piece with their exclusive packaging...

... i bought/preordered mine from amazon on Monday for 15.98, i am sure their raise in price isnt due to supply shortages, just matching the sale prices of every other store (online or b&m) so that they can make more money...

on another note, anyone notice that CC was preodering the deluxe edition for 15.98, but then the day of release, it went up to 22.99?

I picked it up when Target.com (i.e. Amazon) had it for $15.98, price matched at Best Buy with no problem. Decided for that price I'd buy it rather than rent, and I loved it. And considering the cost of two theater tickets is more than I paid to own the movie, it works out well.

D'oh! I kept procrastinating on putting in an order at Amazon, and this goes and happens....

So to eBay I went. I saw a couple with the potential to end below $20, but I also saw one guy who had BIN's at $14.95 w/ $4.99 shipping. After putting in an order, I noticed that he had 906 left... He's got 94.8% positive feedback w/ over 1000 reviews. Seems these hundreds of BB: DE DVD's are the only thing's he's selling right now.

The massive quantities he's offering seems a bit weird, but I haven't seen any BB: DE bootlegs offered on eBay, so maybe they won't be wacky HK copies. Hopefully. I want that comic book, but I'd give the piraters credit if they actually went the lengths to copy that whole thing too!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6443683452

Everyone seems to be pricematching - how does that work? Can you just bring a printout of any ad and a store with a gauranteed low price policy matches it?

I went into a nearby Target yesterday and they were all sold out of the DE. I don't know of the availablilty at other stores. I'm glad I pre-ordered (and received) mine from CC if it's indeed true there will not be another printing.

[quote name='tayaf69']I just saved the target ad to my MS Word and edited the price to match their original 15.98 price. BB matched this for me today although they didn't want to.[/QUOTE]

isnt that wrong :)

[quote name='botticus']I picked it up when Target.com (i.e. Amazon) had it for $15.98, price matched at Best Buy with no problem. Decided for that price I'd buy it rather than rent, and I loved it. And considering the cost of two theater tickets is more than I paid to own the movie, it works out well.[/QUOTE]

wow what movie theaters do u go to... movies here are 5.25 for a new movie... batmans at the cheapseats now for a dollar on tuesdays.

[quote name='BasketCase1080']wow what movie theaters do u go to... movies here are 5.25 for a new movie... batmans at the cheapseats now for a dollar on tuesdays.[/QUOTE]

movies in los angeles cost 10 bucks a pop. unless you go to matinee which is around 8 bucks. worse if you go to a "special" theater like arclight or the mann chinese where its around 12 bucks a movie. so two tickets will definitely cost more than the dvd.

[quote name='Darwin23']movies in los angeles cost 10 bucks a pop. unless you go to matinee which is around 8 bucks. worse if you go to a "special" theater like arclight or the mann chinese where its around 12 bucks a movie. so two tickets will definitely cost more than the dvd.[/QUOTE]
And the film industry wonders why the amount of moviegoers is declining...

I have a VERY hard time believing that the initial shipment of the 2-disc "Deluxe" edition is all they're making. That would be some seriously unprecedented and unannounced bull****.

I got mine at Best Buy on Tuesday, and they were low on copies, to be honest. I had to look at the bottom of the display rack. I stopped at Target first, and they were already '86ed' there. This was mid-afternoon.

Just a taste of the standard-issue holiday fun, to be sure.

The deluxe edition is just another way for studios to bone the public. Don't get me wrong when I get around to picking it up I will purchase the deluxe edition, but have you looked at the regular edition. Its basically the movie and no extras. It seems the studio just created a deluxe edition and scaled the regular edition down to get a few extra bucks out of everyone.

When is the last time you seen a regular edition with no extras come out for recent movie. They use to pull this shit all the time with older movies.

I know my Hollywood Video has a ton of them for $22 or $22.99...It does sound like there is a shortage, but what the question it is that we should be asking is whether BBY, CC, Target, etc...will be receiving new shipments. Anybody heard any word on this? If not I'll just pick one up at Costco.

[quote name='kjauburn']

When is the last time you seen a regular edition with no extras come out for recent movie. They use to pull this shit all the time with older movies.[/QUOTE]

Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

[quote name='kjauburn']When is the last time you seen a regular edition with no extras come out for recent movie. They use to pull this shit all the time with older movies.[/QUOTE]

uhm, every single Fox release. Except that Fox releases the barebones editions first, then announces deluxe edition releases a couple weeks later...

I dont mind what WB is doing, at least they are releasing both editions the same day, giving consumers the choice. Some people dont care about all the extras (granted those people arent on this site) and dont want to pay for them either...

Nope, you are not alone. It was decent, but not the greatest. I'll wait for a used copy of whichever.

Drove all around town last night, couldn't find a single double-disc copy. I'm just going to hit half.com in a week or 2, someone'll sell for around 10 bucks.

[quote name='sman113'] Some people dont care about all the extras (granted those people arent on this site) and dont want to pay for them either...[/QUOTE]

Why are those people not on this site? I could care less about the extras in Batman Begins, I generally don't watch the extras on the DVD's anyways... I picked up my Batman Begins at Best Buy for around $10 I think, using Best Buy Bucks online and picking it up in the store, I didn't want to pay extra money for stuff I'd never watch.

Now, maybe if the actual movie was different, yea that would warrant a buy from me, but I could care less how many comic books and directory's commentary's they put in it.

And for you people who can't find it, your K-Mart's should have a ton, I received at least ten copies of the deluxe edition that are still there.

Um yeah a few people have said it already but...just because it was a simultaneous double dip doesn't mean it's never going to be printed again. They will make more according to demand (though they might tease for a few months). We aren't talking about Atlus here this is the movie industry sheesh.

[quote name='Roufuss']Why are those people not on this site? I could care less about the extras in Batman Begins, I generally don't watch the extras on the DVD's anyways... [/QUOTE]

i made that statement because usually the people that frequent online message boards are more early adopter/high end consumers who are the demographic studios are going after when they make these special editions. then again, maybe CAG isnt for high end consumers ;). I for one, am, i just want to spend less on my high-end crap!

[quote name='bostonfrontier']The movie sucked anyways[/QUOTE]

What is your purpose in this thread?

[quote name='Roufuss']Luckily local K-Mart's have plenty of copies, because nobody buys DVDs there.

Seriously, my store must have gotten in about six copies of this, all still sitting there.[/QUOTE]

Yep. That's where I bought mine at when I couldn't find it anywhere. They had about 4 of them.

bread's done
Back