Battle: Los Angeles steelbook $24.99

blindinglights

CAGiversary!
Edit: Target deal is no longer active, so price matching no longer works.

As the title indicates, getting this for $17.99 is very YMMV. However, it worked out today for me so someone else might get a clerk that doesn't know any better. Also, there might be some people like me who didn't even know there was a steelbook for this movie.

Target has :br: Battle: Los Angeles for $17.99 on sale this week. I went to my local Walmart with Target ad in hand to price match this since it is an extra 30 miles to the nearest Target for me.

When I got there, I looked all over the highly disorganized movies section for the movie and came across a Walmart exclusive blu-ray steelbook for it (it also came with the DVD version), which I didn't even know existed, for $24.99. The front had "WALMART EXCLUSIVE" written across it in big letters, so I didn't think price matching would work and I wasn't initially going to try it.

I got up to the clerk and was checking out and just decided it wouldn't hurt to ask and said, "Hey, Target has this movie for $17.99 this week, does Walmart price match like that if it's the same movie?" I totally expected to get shot down, but to my surprise, the lady said "It's the same movie, this just seems to be a different version that we got for our store ............ yeah, we can match it." So I walked out with the steelbook blu-ray + DVD version for $18.

Walmart.com link to the movie: http://www.walmart.com/ip/16562828

If you're wondering about the movie, I liked it. There's not much depth here, it's definitely a turn your brain off and eat popcorn affair. I thought the concept of the movie presenting itself as a war film that just happens to have aliens as the enemy as opposed to an alien movie with over the top soldiers or some super secret government agents in it was pretty interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a tip: Put the movie in your car or pocket and go find an old lady at customer service and show her the ad and receipt only for a price difference. That's what I did and got it.

Thanks OP. I tried to buy it today from Best Buy with the $5 coupon to make it $12.99 but ran into a coupon Nazi. Will try this tomorrow, just curious if it has the Resistance 3 demo included?

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the steelbook has the R3 demo included. I don't see any mention of it on the packaging and I put the disc in and nothing came up on my PS3.

[quote name='blindinglights']Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the steelbook has the R3 demo included. I don't see any mention of it on the packaging and I put the disc in and nothing came up on my PS3.[/QUOTE]Given the choice between the R3 demo and a steelbook, steelbook wins every time.

[quote name='shrike4242']Given the choice between the R3 demo and a steelbook, steelbook wins every time.[/QUOTE]

yea....demo vs steelbook...hmmm tough choice...

Just came back from my local walmart...they had it in stock! :bouncy:

I had them PM it with Target's ad and bam! 17.99+tax out the door!

Thanks OP for the heads up..bolted out the door when I saw this thread.

That's too bad about the demo, I think it's just the single Blu-Ray package that has it. Still in for the steelbook over the plastic case though.

Just wondering does this come with all the extras other than the demo that the other BD sets come with?

sweet, I'm going to try this today. however, I'm confused about PMing at Wal-Mart..do you have to go to the CS counter? or can they do it at a regular register level now (b/c thats what it looks like in that commercial..)?

So messed up about that R3 demo too. At BB, looked like only the single disc BD had the sticker for the demo. Conspiracy theories started swirling in my head how maybe they only put it on the single BD to see if it sells more than the combo. Wouldn't surprise if Combo packs stop by the end of the year/mid next year. If you asked me 2 months ago, I was all about combo packs...now I ask myself if I even really need the DVD copy..

[quote name='token2k6']sweet, I'm going to try this today. however, I'm confused about PMing at Wal-Mart..do you have to go to the CS counter? or can they do it at a regular register level now (b/c thats what it looks like in that commercial..)?

So messed up about that R3 demo too. At BB, looked like only the single disc BD had the sticker for the demo. Conspiracy theories started swirling in my head how maybe they only put it on the single BD to see if it sells more than the combo. Wouldn't surprise if Combo packs stop by the end of the year/mid next year. If you asked me 2 months ago, I was all about combo packs...now I ask myself if I even really need the DVD copy..[/QUOTE]

You need the ad period and they scrutinize the entire thing looking for the date and you have to show them exactly where the date is for the ad (usually in the back) as they "cannot find it". It needs to be done at CS.
I would buy the thing, then take it to your car, wait a bit then go back to CS with the target ad and PM it. Worse case scenario is that they make you bring back the item to do the PM...then the cover will be the red flag for them.. I honestly don't like the cover now that I think about it, but oh well.

As for the DVD, I think it's a blessing to have a dvd copy handy. I like extracting the movie to put on my zune hd since we zune owners can't use digital copies. DC on the other hand is a waste.

I have no problem PMing at the registers at my wally worlds. I'd try this if I was interested in the movie at all. :p

[quote name='sendme']Just wondering does this come with all the extras other than the demo that the other BD sets come with?[/QUOTE]

I believe so because when I was in the store I compared the backs of the movies and they were identical. I did that because the steelbook has a banner on the front that says "120 minutes of extra features!" and it seems the regular version has all the same stuff.

[quote name='token2k6']sweet, I'm going to try this today. however, I'm confused about PMing at Wal-Mart..do you have to go to the CS counter? or can they do it at a regular register level now (b/c thats what it looks like in that commercial..)?

So messed up about that R3 demo too. At BB, looked like only the single disc BD had the sticker for the demo. Conspiracy theories started swirling in my head how maybe they only put it on the single BD to see if it sells more than the combo. Wouldn't surprise if Combo packs stop by the end of the year/mid next year. If you asked me 2 months ago, I was all about combo packs...now I ask myself if I even really need the DVD copy..[/QUOTE]

You should be able to PM at any register if you have the ad.

I like having the DVD copy since I have a portable DVD player for trips.

[quote name='ITDEFX']You need the ad period and they scrutinize the entire thing looking for the date and you have to show them exactly where the date is for the ad (usually in the back) as they "cannot find it". It needs to be done at CS.
I would buy the thing, then take it to your car, wait a bit then go back to CS with the target ad and PM it. Worse case scenario is that they make you bring back the item to do the PM...then the cover will be the red flag for them.. I honestly don't like the cover now that I think about it, but oh well.

As for the DVD, I think it's a blessing to have a dvd copy handy. I like extracting the movie to put on my zune hd since we zune owners can't use digital copies. DC on the other hand is a waste.[/QUOTE]

Like I said above, I just price match at the register in electronics without any hangups. However, in this case, I do believe getting the price adjusted at CS without showing the movie would be the easiest path.

[quote name='slidecage']movie was bout 30 mins too long.. just draged on and on and on[/QUOTE]

Well like one mod said it reminded him of COD....

It was a lot better than Skyline!

I give up. I've tried PMing the steelbook at one Walmart and tried using the BB coupon for the single Blu Ray w/demo at the local BB. Shut down both times. The movie wasn't great anyway.

[quote name='sdcranford']I give up. I've tried PMing the steelbook at one Walmart and tried using the BB coupon for the single Blu Ray w/demo at the local BB. Shut down both times. The movie wasn't great anyway.[/QUOTE]

My friend bought it yesterday night and couldn't get the price match; however, I told him what some of the people in here posted and he returned today with his receipt at lunch time and had customer service price adjust the purchase to the ad with no problems. You might want to try that method.

Wow, how did we not know about this one! What happened to iNCREDiPiNOY? If a regular BD site reported it, then my bad for not frequenting those more..film critique aside (I haven't seen it yet) I wanted to buy it yesterday on impulse from BB, then when I saw this Steelbook, it made it even better.

I went to a fairly new Wal-Mart and headed straight back, saw Vudu DL cards for the film for $15 (which was both neat and overpriced) regular DVD and BD single-disc copies. These were in at least 6 different spots on endcaps and the normal area. My heart sank when I didn't see the Steelbook, nor a shelf tag for it where maybe the filled it in with DVD copies or something. Not wanting to give up or ask a clerk, I start looking at the sides, and thumbing thru them, sure enough, one copy! :D Paid $27.05 with tax, will try to PM with an ad later tonight or tomorrow, but won't be too upset b/c $25 doesn't seem bad for something that will be...
rare! lol

thanks again OP!

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well like one mod said it reminded him of COD....

It was a lot better than Skyline![/QUOTE]

come on we all know skyline will be the best movie of this type for years :)

i wonder if the makers of that movie even knew what they were doing and they said WTF lets just give up on how the movie ended

[quote name='Kerig']Steelbook goodness aside, this movie will be a $5 blu on Black Friday. Count on it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but for 12 bucks extra the steelbook is nice. One walmart near me was sold out of all the BD copies.

EDIT: Well no luck for me. Almost had it but when they looked at what the ad on my phone had they said no. They said it was only 17.99 becaue it was the blu only and not the blu and dvd. Had the ad said combo I would have had it. I had to use the one on my phone becuase Target had no ads out and I don't get the paper. Oh well. I was going to get the movie anyway so getting it in a steelbook for 26 isnt bad.

I ordered one BD steelbook on 13 May. The item has been shipped and this morning I received an email about a refund of $10.60 claiming competitive price.

I login to my walmart account and saw this.

Subtotal:$24.96
Competitive Price Match:whistle2:$10.60
Shipping:Free
Estimated Sales Tax:$1.50
Order Total:$15.86

As much as I like BR steelbook, I would stick to my $7.99 single disc Battle: LA @ BB.
First of all, the movie suck. I was really disappointed. Not worth more than $10 for me. But that's me! :eek:)

[quote name='chubbyporky']I ordered one BD steelbook on 13 May. The item has been shipped and this morning I received an email about a refund of $10.60 claiming competitive price.

I login to my walmart account and saw this.

Subtotal:$24.96
Competitive Price Match:whistle2:$10.60
Shipping:Free
Estimated Sales Tax:$1.50
Order Total:$15.86[/QUOTE]Same here for me, save the tax cost on my order with a different tax rate. :whistle2:s Item cost was $14.14.

Glad I didn't run out to Walmart to pick this up, and my order is also processing. Odd "price match", though I'm not complaining to get the steelbook w/DVD for a little more than $14 + tax.

I'm obsessed with Steelbooks...very, very obsessed. But a steelbook for Battle L.A. is worth less than steaming pile from my dog's anus. One of the most god-awful insults to filmmaking in years; atrocious cinematography renders it nearly unwatchable. A terrible script, poor pacing, and cheap FX make it all but worthless.

Don't get my wrong, I was actually excited to go see it in theaters, but what an epic letdown...

I was able to get the steelbook for $17. Its a video game movie not based of off a video game, and aaron eckhart is running around kicking ass for 2 hours. Also the one liners in this movie are pretty good especially the last line in the movie, this movie has kick ass sound too. Its not the greatest movie, but definitely a fun watch.

[quote name='GreyFox787']But a steelbook for Battle L.A. is worth less than steaming pile from my dog's anus. One of the most god-awful insults to filmmaking in years; atrocious cinematography renders it nearly unwatchable. A terrible script, poor pacing, and cheap FX make it all but worthless.

Don't get my wrong, I was actually excited to go see it in theaters, but what an epic letdown...[/QUOTE]

Sounds like your expectations were way too high to begin with. It's a summertime action movie, where aliens get blown up... It was never destined for an Oscar.

[quote name='blindinglights']Sounds like your expectations were way too high to begin with. It's a summertime action movie, where aliens get blown up... It was never destined for an Oscar.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I have not seen the movie yet, but am very excited as long as shit blows up!

My Wal-Mart's were all sold out. No biggie. The steelbook would have been cool, but I'll just pick up the regular version when it's $6 or so during the BF sales.

I just got an e-mail from WalMart about the online preorder I did for the steelbook. Apparently, there was a price adjustment done on preorders for this title. When I placed the order the price was $24.96. I got a refund for $10.00 which brought it down to $14.96! :bouncy:

[quote name='n00bie']Why wouldn't it be?[/QUOTE]

Because we are still several months out and there is no leaks of the ads...because they don't exist at the moment. I say at the most this movie will be 12.99-14.99 on bf from it's 29.99/34.99 price.

You can wait all you want, but unless it is on the wall for being on sale for that price, I would get it while you can at this sale price.

Picked up my order at the Walmart store it was shipped to via site-to-store and found out they picked the wrong item. It was the BD + DVD non-steelbook, so I returned it to the store.

Placed a new order with a Walmart.com rep and had them honor the cheaper price, so I should hopefully have it on the way by the end of next week.

[quote name='shrike4242']Picked up my order at the Walmart store it was shipped to via site-to-store and found out they picked the wrong item. It was the BD + DVD non-steelbook, so I returned it to the store.

Placed a new order with a Walmart.com rep and had them honor the cheaper price, so I should hopefully have it on the way by the end of next week.[/QUOTE]

I think you would be disappointed. I called their CS and spoke to them of the wrong product. CS email me the return label and re-ordered another one for me. Receive it on Sat and it is still the wrong one. DUH

[quote name='chubbyporky']I think you would be disappointed. I called their CS and spoke to them of the wrong product. CS email me the return label and re-ordered another one for me. Receive it on Sat and it is still the wrong one. DUH[/QUOTE]We'll see what I get when it shows up next week. If it's the wrong product a second time, then I'll just return it in-store again.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Well like one mod said it reminded him of COD....

It was a lot better than Skyline![/QUOTE]

As an alien invasion movie Skyline is far better.

Battle L.A. is just your run of the mill war movie.

So my ship to store order came and I got the regular blu-ray version! :bomb: I sent a complaint to wal-marts website, but I doubt anything can be done. I'd imagine if I placed another order that they would screw it up again. The electronics section was also out of the steelbook version too. GRRRRRRRR

If anyone is still looking for a copy of this steelbook I have two available. Just send me a PM and we can work out a trade or a sale.

I got my shipment from Walmart today via FedEx. Opened package and got the 3 steelbooks I originally ordered! :applause:

EDIT:
The Walmart site has been updated with the correct version http://www.walmart.com/ip/16562830 and is still available for purchase. See below for e-mail I received from Walmart CS:

Dear Valued Customer,

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused you regarding the Battle: Los Angeles (Blu-ray + Standard DVD) (With Steelbook Packaging) (Widescreen); Format: Blu-ray in order number 267777663XXXX.

Please be advised that there was a mix up at the warehouse regarding the above DVD. If you are wanting to keep the item you may, or you may also return the item back to us as the issue has been corrected on the site.

To return via the mail, please log on to www.walmart.com and go to the "Return an Item" link at the bottom of the page. Follow the instructions to "Return an item by mail".

When returning an order by mail, please allow up to three weeks shipping and processing time for the order to reach our Return Center. When the order has been received, depending on your request, the order will either be credited or reordered.

If we have not fully answered your question or you have additional questions, please reply to this email.

Sincerely,
Walmart.com Customer Care

[quote name='iNCREDiPiNOY']@Taco5: When did you order? I want to compare to other.[/QUOTE]

Pinoy,

PM'd you.

Looks like Walmart stores are getting steelbooks again back in stock. Was at 1 last night and 2 others today and noticed at each store there were 5 - 7 copies at each store.

[quote name='chubbyporky']Finally they have corrected their mistakes.

Two times they have sent me the wrong BD. Hopefully they send the correct one now.[/QUOTE]Hopefully my second order is the correct one and not the incorrect one that I received previously. I'd hate to have to go through this three times with ordering it and reordering it twice.

Guess I'll find out towards the end of this week when my second order's copy shows up at the Walmart it's going site-to-store for.

bread's done
Back