Battlefield 2 Demo

specialk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Has anyone tried the BF 2 demo in this months OXM? It's awhile till the game comes out, so this could tide those of us w/o powerful pc's over....

anyone who's played it care to comment on the demo? also what gametypes to you get to play, how many maps, etc?

also, if this is a repost i'm sorry...i looked.

I have the demo... but can't play it because my xbox refuses to read the damn disc!:bomb:

I fucking hate OXM! the only reason I subscribe to the magazine is for the demos, and they only work about 60% of the time. Those guys need way better quality control when it comes to those damn discs. I really hate getting exciting about a some new badass game only to put the disc in my xbox and get a DRE. :roll:

I'll tell you how the demo is in about a month... which is excatly how long it will take them to send me a new disc...

goddamn OXM...

It took a couple of tries to get online, but it was pretty fun when I finally got on. Different job classes, weapons, and big enviroments aplenty!

I played BF1942 and BF: Vietnam, but I'm not sure this one is for me, especially on the Xbox. The demo seemed a bit premature. The game felt unbalanced and rough. It had an inconsistent frame rate and locked up/crashed on me multiple times within an hour or two.

I want to like it, but I just can't yet.

My demo did not work at first, but I boiled it and got it to work. Now that it works here are my impressions.

PROS
- Wide open non linear game
- Intense combat
- Has alot of potential considering the game is at least 4 months away

CONS
- Loaded with snipers and air-strikers
- No punishment for frequent team killers
- Spawn camping does exist at times
- The game freezes here and there
- Helicopter controls suck

Spawn camping is expected in a battlefield game, it's kind of the point to control the last spawn...

My problems with the game are the messed up voice system (you should not have to hold the dang button, Halo 2 did it right 8 months ago) and the unbalanced teams. As long as they fix the voice and turn on auto-balance so I don't have to play 10 on 14 it should be great.

I play it all the time. I love it. I had problems with my xbox loading the disk, but for some reason I found if at night it would load. So I tried putting a towel over my xbox to simulate night, and that works. It's weird, but at least I can play it now.

Yea this demo is really fun. Wide open areas. Spawn as: Engineer, Spec Ops, Sniper, Support, and one more. You can drive anything that looks drivable(Beat up truck, civilian cars). You can use your parachute anytime even if you jump of a building just pull the chute and gliding you go. Calling in Airstrikes are very fun. So far only on map called BAckstab and you play the game type Conquest(keeping territories until you have them all)

All in All while this game will be very very fun but now you have to decide if you want to buy it for Xbox or xbox 360.

[quote name='klingon666']this game is only a demo,. I'm sure they will get all the bugs out . (I hope)[/QUOTE]

Yea they will. The game was originally suspossed to be released NOV 04. They pushed it to NOV 05 to put in a single player mode. I really hope this game will rock for box 360.

Got the demo this morning and it's probably the best Live game I have played so far. There is freezing and other glitches but the game is so damn fun. Cant wait til it comes out in a couple of months.

BTW, are the servers down right now? I have been trying for the past 2 hours and they wont let me in.

[quote name='klingon666']this game is only a demo,. I'm sure they will get all the bugs out . (I hope)[/QUOTE]
Have you seen the PC version? They released (and recalled) a patch that did more harm than good.

I've been meaning to pick up this issue of OXM. I want to try the demo for this and Dark Watch as well. But the $10 price point is keeping me at bay at the moment.

[quote name='craven_fiend']I've been meaning to pick up this issue of OXM. I want to try the demo for this and Dark Watch as well. But the $10 price point is keeping me at bay at the moment.[/QUOTE]
If you wait a little while, you can usually find copies of the newest OXM demos on ebay for about half that.

Or if you want to subscribe, you can get a cheap/free no-disc subscription and add the disc for $1/issue.

so for the most part, does this demo work? i've read people saying that the demos are usually just cross your fingers and hope they work..

and even someone on this thread said they boiled their disk, to get it to work? why/how do you boil a disk?

[quote name='specialk']so for the most part, does this demo work? i've read people saying that the demos are usually just cross your fingers and hope they work..

and even someone on this thread said they boiled their disk, to get it to work? why/how do you boil a disk?[/QUOTE]
Yeah it works, but it freezes every once and a while and sometimes the server crashes. It's annoying but it's not meant to be played a lot, your supposed to play a few games find out if you like it or not then pre-order it. That's my .02 on this anyway. As for boiling the disc I've heard that a lot before, but I never cared enough to try it.

boiling does work - when i did it previously, you just dump it in a pot for about 30 seconds, i believe it has something to do with the disk being bent while mailing and then the boiling flattens it out again

the demo i think is pretty cool as buggy as it is, it does make me think sw:battlefront a little too much but i guess that is the point

one thing though is that it is hard for me to get excited over xbox games that are also to be coming out in x360

Disc works fine for me. Played the demo some this morning and I mentioned that even though it's a demo, it's already better than half the Live games.. bugs are to be expected, I thought it was rather generous of them to give us a demo this early on..

It's funny that you think of Battlefront when playing Battlefield, since BFront is pretty much a complete ripoff of BField 1942.

It says the servers are down right now.. I can refresh the game, but no matter which server I join, it says it can't connect. Is this normal?

[quote name='Scorch']Disc works fine for me. Played the demo some this morning and I mentioned that even though it's a demo, it's already better than half the Live games.. bugs are to be expected, I thought it was rather generous of them to give us a demo this early on..

It's funny that you think of Battlefront when playing Battlefield, since BFront is pretty much a complete ripoff of BField 1942.

It says the servers are down right now.. I can refresh the game, but no matter which server I join, it says it can't connect. Is this normal?[/QUOTE]

Its been like this for the past couple of days. Keep tring different rooms and soon you'll be able to join one.

I thought the game was pretty darn good. I was still getting used to it in exactly what I had to do....not much communication and people were just shooting at will it seemed. PRetty darn good game...I may have to pre-order it with the GameRush deal right around the corner

The Xbox demo has a little bit of a system lag problem. The FPS seems pretty good to me but every once in a while you'll just spurt across the screen. I also don't like the whole momentum thing when you stop running, makes it hard to get into doors. I don't know if that's on the PC version or not. I dropped the demo pretty quick. Those are small complaints but there just wasn't enough to hold me in.

[quote name='specialk']so for the most part, does this demo work? i've read people saying that the demos are usually just cross your fingers and hope they work..

and even someone on this thread said they boiled their disk, to get it to work? why/how do you boil a disk?[/QUOTE]
Most of the problems associated with this demo in particular are due to the fact it's basically still in development (beta).

I usually don't have any problems with OXM demo discs, although I've heard others have. You can boil your disc by boiling water in a pot and dropping the disc in for a minute or two. Take it out, dry it off and let it cool before putting it into your Xbox. It's supposed to help flatten the disc so it can be read easier.

Here is an illustrated guide.

I've had really bad luck with OXM demos. Everytime i ask for a replacement it takes 6-8 weeks for me to receive a replacement. It pisses me off that I was sooo looking forward to playing this game and my disc is defective. On a weird note, the disc is clear/see through. If I put it up to the light i can see right through it. Seems like they printed the label on the blank plastic shaped discs that come packaged when you buy the blank cd bundles.

I might have to go to the store and jack...um buy one.

[quote name='Professor Oreo']I have the demo... but can't play it because my xbox refuses to read the damn disc!:bomb:

I fucking hate OXM! the only reason I subscribe to the magazine is for the demos, and they only work about 60% of the time. Those guys need way better quality control when it comes to those damn discs. I really hate getting exciting about a some new badass game only to put the disc in my xbox and get a DRE. :roll:

I'll tell you how the demo is in about a month... which is excatly how long it will take them to send me a new disc...

goddamn OXM...[/QUOTE]

Mine did not work either DRE. I get this every so often with OXM discs this is probably the third time in about 2 years. Just have to wait for the replacement.

[quote name='help1']IS it still available for purchase? is it worth buying the mag for?[/QUOTE]

I like it alot. Its kinda buggy and for some reason like 2 days after I bought it I had real hard times getting into games. Hopefully they fixed the server.

[quote name='pimpinc333']I like it alot. Its kinda buggy and for some reason like 2 days after I bought it I had real hard times getting into games. Hopefully they fixed the server.[/QUOTE]

Is taht a yes?

[quote name='help1']IS it still available for purchase? is it worth buying the mag for?[/QUOTE]
shit yeah

I picked this up today, but I probably won't be able to play it until tomorrow at the earliest. Hopefully it's just as fun on Xbox as it was on PS2, which was damn near flawless.

got it, mainly due to everyone's recommendations. only played a few games, but i'm liking it. no DRE's (yet) and only one game that froze up on me. i still haven't got the controls and everything down to an art yet, but i'm liking what i've played so far.

now i wonder how much more the 360 version is going to rock...?

The game is pretty fun. I love blowing stuff up with C4. The demo does have some problems, though. Mine has locked up on me about five times already. Plus, it can take multiple tries to try and get into a server. Random spurts of lag plague the game, too.

Still, though, it is an early version of the game, and from what I've played, it has a ton of potential.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']A CAG sent me a free copy of the demo, so I'll be playing by Saturday. Hopefully my Xbox doesn't give me no lip about it.[/QUOTE]

damnit! i wish i could get a free copy of the demo :(

[quote name='help1']I got the demo and I must say im impressed, especially with the steal I got on it.[/QUOTE]

Are you tring to say you stole it? lol nice job if you did.

[quote name='help1']I got the demo and I must say im impressed, especially with the steal I got on it.[/QUOTE]
Where from...

I've met a few CAGs online, JimmieMac, Pimp, and Zewone. I was trying to make peace with Pimp but he sniped me, what a hoe!

[quote name='el bobo']I've met a few CAGs online, JimmieMac, Pimp, and Zewone. I was trying to make piece with Pimp but he sniped, me what a hoe![/QUOTE]

LOL wasnt sure why you where on the non USA team. It was fun when we played together though. I heart BF2.

just got this in the oxm mag...paid 8.99 + tax at target for it...saved a buck off the magazine price for some reason...i'll be playing this soon

I had to use the old-school "boil the disc in hot water for a minute" technique to get my demo disc to work. Ever since then, though, I have been finishing at the top in every room EA will let me in to. I wish it would have a leaderboard for the demo, it'd be nice to see where you rank along all the other people who are getting a feel for the game. I love Special-Ops class on there. What's your fav class?

i'm really diggin the demo, BHD comes out tuesday and now i'm thinking of just keeping my preordered copy sealed and renting it with a free rental coupon and seeing how it is. If it's not awesome i'll return it for credit, since i'll be getting the new Ghost Recon in another week anyway. So many shooters all at once!...............

My favorite class so far is also special-ops although i tend to bounce around as i've only played a couple days. I just like blowing up mr badass in his tank when i sneak up behind him and plant c4.

Anyone know how many maps the final version is going to have?
I've played BackStab for days and still am not tired of it, so i was wondering how many more huge levels like this they would include.

bread's done
Back