Battlefield 2142 (PC) $0.99 D/L Amazon

I have nothing but great memories of this game, a real shame EA hasnt brough this one back. it would look amazing with updated graphics.

http://youtu.be/Mk4wEAO07hM

http://youtu.be/m0Xz47SzDS4

I have nothing but great memories of this game, a real shame EA hasnt brough this one back. it would look amazing with updated graphics.
The only memories I have of this game are spending months just trying to get it to work, ever managing to get into a single game, walking around in a mech for a minute before the game crashed then spending several more months trying to get it to work and never getting into a game again.

origin is the DRM. But isn't this one of the games going offline this year?
Unless they make a last minute patch to it then yeah it's soon to be dead and most likely why it's been slashed to 99 cents at the 11th hour.

Last edited by a moderator:
My GoogleFu is apparently weak today. Could someone please link me to a source on the whole "going offline soon" thing? I'm curious if this will continue to work in offline mode (IE if LAN play will still be an option) before I go telling some friends about this deal.

My GoogleFu is apparently weak today. Could someone please link me to a source on the whole "going offline soon" thing? I'm curious if this will continue to work in offline mode (IE if LAN play will still be an option) before I go telling some friends about this deal.
It's that the Gamespy server browsing middleware that this and many other games used and relied upon to power their multiplayer is being shut down. They did some games last year but this is the rest of them coming up.

http://www.examiner.com/article/reddit-compiles-list-of-games-affected-by-gamespy-shutdown

There are workarounds for some games and I believe BF2142 will be one of them because of it's dedicated servers if you're able to just use IP addresses to join a server. Someone else will have to confirm that it has that ability but I would be surprised if it didn't. Otherwise there's various tunneling software that can get around it. So for a lot of these games there will still be ways but you'll have to do some setup and have some knowledge and won't be able to just jump in.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2141200/gamespy-is-shutting-down-but-it-doesnt-matter-if-youre-proactive.html

Here's Reddit's ongoing list: http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/22fz75/list_of_games_affected_by_gamespy_shutdown/

Without modding:

Is the Single Player decent?

Can you play it offline?

Can you play w/ bots?
By itself there really isn't any SP to BF games with Bad Company being the first to really introduce any sort of "real campaign".

There are bots but considering this game is 8 years old and bots still suck I wouldn't expect much.

As far as offline do you mean no internet connection or LAN play? There is LAN play but there's a mandatory login when you launch the game and you can't skip past it. They patched it at some point so it's your Origin login now if I remember from trying to run the game a few months ago while waiting for BF4. I think you can disable that for no internet offline play once you get past it the first time after installing but don't quote me on that one.

By itself there really isn't any SP to BF games with Bad Company being the first to really introduce any sort of "real campaign".

There are bots but considering this game is 8 years old and bots still suck I wouldn't expect much.

As far as offline do you mean no internet connection or LAN play? There is LAN play but there's a mandatory login when you launch the game and you can't skip past it. They patched it at some point so it's your Origin login now if I remember from trying to run the game a few months ago while waiting for BF4. I think you can disable that for no internet offline play once you get past it the first time after installing but don't quote me on that one.
Literally OFFLINE play - as in you don't play on ANY servers. You play against the CPU/bots. No Net connection. Nothing.

As in say, I can't connect to Origin - and I can still start the game up in "offline mode".

Can any of that happen?

I'm usually online - so, if I have to connect to Origin and the game will still work after GameSpy's gone, sweet.

That's good that there is LAN play - hope that'll still work, after GameSpy goes kaput.

But, the other thing is - does anyone really play this online anymore?

EDIT:

Since you mentioned bots - are there any good bots mods w/ good AI out there for this?

Like I said it sounds like you can disable that login once you get the game setup but I never did it personally and can verify that as of the last patch they put out for it that it was still there and that does require connection to the EA servers.  So not what they're shutting down but still something that requires internet at least sometimes.

Like I said it sounds like you can disable that login once you get the game setup but I never did it personally and can verify that as of the last patch they put out for it that it was still there and that does require connection to the EA servers. So not what they're shutting down but still something that requires internet at least sometimes.
Thanks for the info.

Much appreciated.

EDIT:

Would be nice if EA just moved the MP over to Origin and let gamers play over that.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this was pre origin. Don't think it does activate on origin
Oblivion is pre steam but its on steam. Same thing here, its on origin for sale.

I was trying to register my old cd key for this on origin but it wouldnt work so I chatted with ea and they added the 2142 collection with it and northern strike to my account.

Oblivion is pre steam but its on steam. Same thing here, its on origin for sale.

I was trying to register my old cd key for this on origin but it wouldnt work so I chatted with ea and they added the 2142 collection with it and northern strike to my account.
Yeah, the old keys won't activate but you can buy it now for Origin. One of those things that I always hated when you would think at least EA published games that were on Origin would be able to be added regardless.

bread's done
Back