Battlefield 3- Premium announced; 4 new expansions

As a huge BC2 fan I have to agree with a lot of the mediocre reviews thus far about the beta. I was sort of afraid that DICE would copy some COD mechanics this time around, which I think is a major step backwards for Battlefield. Why fix what isn't broken?

While the visuals shouldn't be the main focus they looked pretty bad with low resolution textures and glitches. Why is the weapon customization so clunky now? It was so smooth and easy with BC2 so why change it to having to dig through a bunch of menus? Kills are way too quick. It's like everyone has a sniper rifle and gets headshots every time. I've always valued the ability to escape and heal in Battlefield, unlike twitchy COD. I didn't see a problem with the movement animations.

The beta is also very glitchy in that you often can't select items you've unlocked from one game to the next. Finally, why pick a map for the beta that doesn't show off the bullet points of the game i.e. destructible environments and vehicles?

I've been looking forward to this game for quite some time now and I'm willing to put in more time with the actual game due to my faith in DICE. If I wasn't already a Battlefield fan who knew this has to get better I wouldn't be convinced to pick this up by the beta.

I haven't played the beta since my comp can't handle it. But what about those youtube gameplay videos? They look fine. The videos from E3 or one of those conventions in the spring annd summer. Smooth gameplay no?

[quote name='giantqtipz']I haven't played the beta since my comp can't handle it. But what about those youtube gameplay videos? They look fine. The videos from E3 or one of those conventions in the spring annd summer. Smooth gameplay no?[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure that's why we're all wondering why we are playing this piece of shit when the videos suggest it looks and plays amazingly..................

I know this has been answered but I cant seem to find it....how does one get into then public beta? Is it just a download on the marketplace?

[quote name='Soodmeg']I know this has been answered but I cant seem to find it....how does one get into then public beta? Is it just a download on the marketplace?[/QUOTE]

It will more than likely be the first thing on the dashboard once it's released to the public tomorrow!

Yea you just download it tomorrow...

They can make a decent amount of upgrades/changes from this. Yes the game ships soon, but you have to think that this build is almost a month + old. Dice had to test this to make sure it would work before they released it to MS/Sony. Then they can take whatever feedback they get from this and implement it into an early patch. This was a bad showing for DICE but honestly I trust them enough to make a good game

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have experience playing with more than a 4 person squad? Is it impossible to get two squads into a game? More trouble than it's worth?

[quote name='Soodmeg']I know this has been answered but I cant seem to find it....how does one get into then public beta? Is it just a download on the marketplace?[/QUOTE]Like others said, but I felt it should be mentioned that the only way to get in until tomorrow is to get a code emailed for getting the medal of honor LE. I bought one copy but played it on two accounts and each account got an email with a beta code. I'll post one here if none of my friends wants it.

[quote name='Trakan']Does anyone have experience playing with more than a 4 person squad? Is it impossible to get two squads into a game? More trouble than it's worth?[/QUOTE]
If the squad system is anything like BC2 ,It's possible, but requires some work and time.

You could join a game with a squad of 4, have one person leave the squad, then invite 3 others to their own squad. Someone leaves the second squad, joins up with the first, and then the squad with three remaining invites in the 4th. This obviously takes time, and by the time you get everyone in (assuming there's even enough slots in the server), the teams will become really unbalanced since 8 people just joined one team while maybe 1 or 2 people joined the other in the mean time. The other team will quit, then you have to do it all over again.

They must be trying to make it more like COD because I sucked at BC2 but have been tearing up B3 like it was COD.

What I (still) don't like.
Knife is too slow. I don't want MW2 commando action, but I want to use my knife before I get shot.

Spawn campers.
It's way easier to do in this game.

Death before you know you're dead.
It's not near as bad as MoH though.

What I do like.
Running.
It's good that can run as long as you want. It makes up for spawning so far away. Also the smooth jumping over obstacles is nice.

Weapon unlocks seem pretty fast.
I just wish unlocking for one team unlocked for both since you can't pick a team.

I guess I'll be playing this for two weeks when it comes out.

[quote name='moojuice']If the squad system is anything like BC2 ,It's possible, but requires some work and time.

You could join a game with a squad of 4, have one person leave the squad, then invite 3 others to their own squad. Someone leaves the second squad, joins up with the first, and then the squad with three remaining invites in the 4th. This obviously takes time, and by the time you get everyone in (assuming there's even enough slots in the server), the teams will become really unbalanced since 8 people just joined one team while maybe 1 or 2 people joined the other in the mean time. The other team will quit, then you have to do it all over again.[/QUOTE]

Problem is the beta doesnt let you invite other people to join your game/the other person cant join your game. Trakan and myself tried this last night with games that clearly had open spots in it yet we couldnt invite each other/join the game from the dashboard or the main menu.

The knifing is an issue. You can't knife people that are already knifing someone else. The sprinting will randomly not work. And the spawn camping is annoying

[quote name='TheRock88']Problem is the beta doesnt let you invite other people to join your game/the other person cant join your game. Trakan and myself tried this last night with games that clearly had open spots in it yet we couldnt invite each other/join the game from the dashboard or the main menu.[/QUOTE]
Weird, I got a squad of three going last night...only thing I can think of is I sent invites via the XBL Party Menu...but then again I had an occurrence where I got dropped from EA's servers, and jioned back via Join Session in Progress and it even put me back in the squad.

Maybe it was just EA servers acting up when you guys tried.

[quote name='TheRock88']Problem is the beta doesnt let you invite other people to join your game/the other person cant join your game. Trakan and myself tried this last night with games that clearly had open spots in it yet we couldnt invite each other/join the game from the dashboard or the main menu.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='moojuice']Weird, I got a squad of three going last night...only thing I can think of is I sent invites via the XBL Party Menu...but then again I had an occurrence where I got dropped from EA's servers, and jioned back via Join Session in Progress and it even put me back in the squad.

Maybe it was just EA servers acting up when you guys tried.[/QUOTE]

As moojuice said, I think it was hit or miss yesterday. Three of us tried in the early afternoon and couldn't get into a game together. Later on a pair of us tried an hour later and still couldn't get it to work.

Then late last night we were able to get three of us in together but only the other two ended up on the same squad. One of them ended up getting dropped between matches and was able to rejoin via 'join in progress' through the party list. I got dropped a little after that and was able to join in progress as well. But it never showed up earlier in the day when similar stuff happened. I don't know if it was fixed or just acting up before that.

Initial thoughts off the top of my head: What's up with these graphics? Not what I was expecting at all after seeing some of the trailers. Movement feels very clunky, especially while sprinting and going around a corner.

Whenever I do that I feel like I'm drifting around the corner- it's not a tight control feel at all. Whenever I shoot the muzzle flash is only there about 1/3rd of the time it should be and when it is it's highly pixelated. All in all not satisfied at all..

[quote name='TeamUnderdog']So the link is up on the Dashboard, but it's trying to charge me 4294967295 MS Points to download it LOL[/QUOTE]

Same here...

[quote name='menikmati']It's popping up as -1 Point for me.[/QUOTE]

Go to buy it and you get the "4294967295" amount.

Same thing happend to me when BF1943 came out;
over9000-1.jpg

One thing I really enjoy is the huge amount of muzzle flash for snipers. I know it's partially because I suck at sniping but I just can't stand camping snipers. With the returning kill-cam and the extreme muzzle flash they're less powerful than ever. It's also neat that you get points for squad spawns now.

Also, is anyone else having trouble logging into the Battlelog site? I keep getting an error message about "your account is not allowed to log in". Strange.

Loving it. But it looks worse than bad company 2! Hopefully the final product is visually better? Assuming this isn't an early build that were getting...

This wouldn't be so bad if I didn't drop 10 feet under the map while I was running and getting stuck in some vortex. I really enjoyed BC2 but I'm not sure about this one. It seems more like COD and MOH than Battlefield. My wife actually thought I was playing COD.

I'm really digging this demo. I know the screen tearing and glitches are rampant, but I have faith in DICE to bring the goods in the final product! The game is really fun!

[quote name='thehuskerfan']I'm really digging this demo. I know the screen tearing and glitches are rampant, but I have faith in DICE to bring the goods in the final product! The game is really fun![/QUOTE]

playoffs are fun too...o wait

[quote name='thehuskerfan']I'm really digging this demo. I know the screen tearing and glitches are rampant, but I have faith in DICE to bring the goods in the final product! The game is really fun![/QUOTE]

It's not a demo, it's a beta. Is it so hard to understand?

I thought it was absolutely awful. I'm not a Battlefield fan, so my opinions don't really matter, but I found the game to basically seem like it was demanding more performance than the 360 could give which led to lagging and glitchy gameplay...

I don't know much about Battlefield gameplay, but my match was riddled with campers who I couldn't see because the textures couldn't load fast enough to show me across the map. Also, the matches I played were lag-fests, but I couldn't see my connection strength to determine if it was the game acting as previously mentioned or just several bad connections.

In one sentence: this does not feel like a game that will be out in less than one month.

Hope they can fix it quickly. I'll play again in a few weeks.

It's in the demos section of the marketplace so I can understand the confusion for the uninformed. That bein said, BF3 doesn't seem much different from BC2 or MoH to me. The "beta" or whatever it is has saved me $60.

I wonder if I'll keep any of my unlocks for the final release that I've earned in the beta?

I keep playing to unlock the revive kit for assault. Unlocks are addictive.

I really don't like Rush mode and I'm not a huge fan of the map. I'm mixing my battling time between the beta and BFBC2 still.

It is fun, but so far it feels like a new iteration. I guess that's typical of sequels. And the things absent from this beta:
vehicles
modes (conquest! and death match)
maps
destructibility

I suspect that final graphics will be better, since the beta on 360 looks no better than BFBC2. Not that there is THAT much more to get out of the venerable 360 hardware.

This beta blows more than a hooker at Christmas time. I cannot even get into the beta because DICE and these piece of shit EA servers can't even handle the amount of traffic they knew was going to play it.

Hurry the fuck up and fix this piece of shit so i can play it, i'm already thinking about skipping the game if its going to lag and have servers down most of the time.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']It's not a demo, it's a beta. Is it so hard to understand?[/QUOTE]

This is technically called a beta but lets be honest this is a MP demo. A beta is basically an excuse so people can say "Well it has tons of bugs/glitches but don't worry it's a beta. This "beta" is running up until 2 weeks until the full release. An actual beta is one that comes out at least a few months before the game's release date, so there is actually time to fix the problems.

The Old Republic beta is a good example of this. That has been going on for a while and there is plenty of time for Bioware to fix a lot of the issues before that game is released. I have no problem with people calling this BF3 beta a demo because honestly that is what it is.

bread's done
Back