Battlefield 3- Premium announced; 4 new expansions

So far game sucks ass. It's a Medal of Honor rehash and Medal of Honor is a COD wannabe. I was looking forward to this game but EA killed it. I hate Medal of Honor gameplay. The Demo saved me $60

I think you need to unlock the flashlight as well.

Hopefully the health situation is different in the game. Sometimes I feel like I obliterated someone yet they have 90%, other times I one shot someone from a mile away with a pistol? The knife animation takes too long and you can be shot easily, yet you can't knife someone who is knifing someone else?!?
Need to be too accurate to revive too. I suppose it was kind of silly to be able to zap the feet, but it seems like you need to be spot on the chest to make it work now.
Shotgun is still WAY to powerful, especially at range.

Keeping my preorder.

Canceling only takes a second and I'm pretty sure there will be lots of websites showing off new gameplay footage in the coming weeks.
Then we can get a good idea how much has changed and if the Beta is what the finished product looks like.

I just noticed after playing a few more rounds...are there no perks or medics in this year's iteration? I went 14-0 and realized that there were no perks to choose. Even MoH had perks! Also, what happened to the medic class? Isn't that a staple in the BF series? It's like DICE lost their minds and got rid of the decent things in the series and injected garbage in its place.

I was "lucky" enough to encounter the ground glitch as well. That was awesome. I basically fell into a hole in the map and couldn't shoot anyone. I was able to move around until I fell into another "hole" and couldn't move. Purgatory if you will. Brilliant.

Also, has anyone encountered any balancing issues/quirks? I noticed that the attackers had much better weapons than the defenders. Sniping is one shot kills with barely any bullet drop, assault is a few taps of the trigger to kill, etc. Maybe it was just me...

It seems to me that DICE focused on the aesthetic aspect and forgot about the actual gameplay. I hate to say it, but it's liked they didn't even try this year. Slapped on a new coat of paint on MoH and called it BF3...more like Battlefield of Honor 2.

I'm really on the fence about my pre-order...

I think the Support class (or Engineer?) has a med kit that you can drop to accelerate healing. Other then that there is no real "Medic" class...

[quote name='Pck21']
Also, has anyone encountered any balancing issues/quirks? I noticed that the attackers had much better weapons than the defenders. Sniping is one shot kills with barely any bullet drop, assault is a few taps of the trigger to kill, etc. Maybe it was just me...

It seems to me that DICE focused on the aesthetic aspect and forgot about the actual gameplay. I hate to say it, but it's liked they didn't even try this year. Slapped on a new coat of paint on MoH and called it BF3...more like Battlefield of Honor 2.

I'm really on the fence about my pre-order...[/QUOTE]

If I'm not mistaken attackers/defenders both have the same variety of weapons. You can unlock the bolt action sniper after you rank up recon a few times.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I think the Support class (or Engineer?) has a med kit that you can drop to accelerate healing. Other then that there is no real "Medic" class...[/QUOTE]

Actually the "medic" for bf3 is the assault class which is baffling imo. You get the med packs and get a defibrillator (for reviving) as you rank it up.

But yea, after seeing them releasing the beta so late i'd assume they rushed on fixing the bugs to meet the September deadline. After witnessing all these bugs I'm even more skeptical now they have about a month to address all these game-breaking issues. Here's hoping for a delay for more time to polish which probably won't be happening..

Yikes. This beta sucks. Why release something so shitty with only 25 days left until launch?

Now I'm not a bad player by any means. I average 10-20 kills/round with a k/d ratio of about 1. My problem with the game is that I'm not really having fun.

The game sounds great, looks nice, but plays horribly. Half of the time, I wonder how/why I missed a kill, and the other half of the time, I wonder how I got a kill.

I'm actually very disappointed because BF3 was one of my most anticipated games of this year. It is one out of the two games that I pre-ordered this fall. Now I'm seriously considering on canceling that pre-order.

You summed it up nicely, Swift. I've been looking forward to a new Battlefield game all year and the beta was such a let down. It just hasn't been very fun but, of course, I'm holding out hope for the final release.

I actually played BC2 Vietnam for the first time in months last night and then played a couple of rounds of the beta. The fun factor just wasn't even close, unfortunately. It was amazing how much more polished both the gameplay and graphics were on Vietnam.

Also, unless I'm forgetting turning the sensitivity way down in BC2 it was incredibly pumped up in comparison on the BF3 beta. I was wondering why it felt so difficult to aim and that was the culprit, mostly. If you're used to BC2 you might want to turn it way down for the beta.

I also don't really care for rush and I wish they would have just included a conquest mode, if only for comparison's sake. If the beta was mostly for marketing they've done pretty poor job thus far.

I'm having alot of fun playing as a medic after you get more toys. At first the beta wasn't that great but the more I play it's growing on me. I'll pick it up on launch day for sure hopefully they'll improve alot on this version we have now.

Yeah, the Beta is pretty shitty for such a blocbuster game. For some reason I dont feel like the gold version of the game will have the same problems.So no canceling for me I still think it will be great.

Two things I hate that DICE keeps doing.

First.....fuck you Dice for trying so hard to push Rush mode has the primary mode. Its contest...its always been conquest, it will always be conquest. Will you stop already for christ sake.

2nd....fix the damn squad system. I dont even really know why you came up with this system in the first place but its been horrid ever since. Take out the squad limit of 4...most people have more than 4 friends they want to play with.

Meh.....still excited.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']I think the Support class (or Engineer?) has a med kit that you can drop to accelerate healing. Other then that there is no real "Medic" class...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='MirageStrike']If I'm not mistaken attackers/defenders both have the same variety of weapons. You can unlock the bolt action sniper after you rank up recon a few times.

Actually the "medic" for bf3 is the assault class which is baffling imo. You get the med packs and get a defibrillator (for reviving) as you rank it up.

But yea, after seeing them releasing the beta so late i'd assume they rushed on fixing the bugs to meet the September deadline. After witnessing all these bugs I'm even more skeptical now they have about a month to address all these game-breaking issues. Here's hoping for a delay for more time to polish which probably won't be happening..[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the medic clarification. I hate to see it combined with another class for absolutely no reason.

As far as the weapons...both sides feel different to me. As an attacker I can use the snipe with an 8x scope and get 1 shot kills all day. I seriously went 14-0 with it and I have no idea how lol. The M16 just feels better as well. I seem to get more kills as an attacker more so than a defender. The defender's snipe feels...off. Horribly off. I can't tell if it's hit detection, but it takes at least 2 shots to kill. I know it sounds like nit picking, but I barely go 1:1 on my KD as a defending sniper, while I can dominate as an attacker with the same class. Again it could just be me...

[quote name='Pck21']Thanks for the medic clarification. I hate to see it combined with another class for absolutely no reason.

As far as the weapons...both sides feel different to me. As an attacker I can use the snipe with an 8x scope and get 1 shot kills all day. I seriously went 14-0 with it and I have no idea how lol. The M16 just feels better as well. I seem to get more kills as an attacker more so than a defender. The defender's snipe feels...off. Horribly off. I can't tell if it's hit detection, but it takes at least 2 shots to kill. I know it sounds like nit picking, but I barely go 1:1 on my KD as a defending sniper, while I can dominate as an attacker with the same class. Again it could just be me...[/QUOTE]

im pretty sure dice said snipers aren't supposed to be one hit kills unless its a headshot

I've played maybe 4 complete rounds and it hasn't changed my opinion on the game at all. I don't like Rush mode period, and I still don't like it after playing the beta. I think DICE made a huge error in just using Rush mode again. I've seen a bunch of people on various forums saying they were planning on getting this game but are no longer going to get it.

It baffles me when the BF series started and became a giant franchise because of Conquest mode.....and you don't let the public try Caspian Border and Conquest instead of Rush only. The problem with Rush mode is that Rush like in this beta doesn't feel like a BF game, it feels like a number of other modern shooters.

What separates BF games from other shooters is huge maps, tons of vehicles, huge battles, control for territories spread out over huge maps, dogfights, choppers, big tank battles, etc. You literally don't get any of this from the beta. This beta is basically a terrible way to represent what BF3 is. Even though I find this beta to be pretty lackluster I'm still really excited for BF3 because what footage I've seen of Conquest on Caspian Border that looks like what BF3 is, not this tight corridor shooting gallery with 0 vehicles.

Played again today. This shit sucks it's Medal of Honor.
Fantana how the hell do you have such a high K/D ratio? I'm guessing you play a lot of hardcore? Or do you like to camp hah.

[quote name='bg88']I've played maybe 4 complete rounds and it hasn't changed my opinion on the game at all. I don't like Rush mode period, and I still don't like it after playing the beta. I think DICE made a huge error in just using Rush mode again. I've seen a bunch of people on various forums saying they were planning on getting this game but are no longer going to get it.

It baffles me when the BF series started and became a giant franchise because of Conquest mode.....and you don't let the public try Caspian Border and Conquest instead of Rush only. The problem with Rush mode is that Rush like in this beta doesn't feel like a BF game, it feels like a number of other modern shooters.

What separates BF games from other shooters is huge maps, tons of vehicles, huge battles, control for territories spread out over huge maps, dogfights, choppers, big tank battles, etc. You literally don't get any of this from the beta. This beta is basically a terrible way to represent what BF3 is. Even though I find this beta to be pretty lackluster I'm still really excited for BF3 because what footage I've seen of Conquest on Caspian Border that looks like what BF3 is, not this tight corridor shooting gallery with 0 vehicles.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

I absolutely dislike that DICE used Rush (I did not enjoy it much on BC2), did not use vehicles and did not include a large map for this beta. But I know the other maps, and conquest, will be better than this. This is a day 1 purchase for me. To each his own.

I would rather see the people critiquing the beta do so on the BF3 beta forum over at EA first so they can see how some of y'all are disappointed with this. Then come over here and share :)

[quote name='bg88']I've played maybe 4 complete rounds and it hasn't changed my opinion on the game at all. I don't like Rush mode period, and I still don't like it after playing the beta. I think DICE made a huge error in just using Rush mode again. I've seen a bunch of people on various forums saying they were planning on getting this game but are no longer going to get it.

What separates BF games from other shooters is huge maps, tons of vehicles, huge battles, control for territories spread out over huge maps, dogfights, choppers, big tank battles, etc. You literally don't get any of this from the beta. This beta is basically a terrible way to represent what BF3 is. Even though I find this beta to be pretty lackluster I'm still really excited for BF3 because what footage I've seen of Conquest on Caspian Border that looks like what BF3 is, not this tight corridor shooting gallery with 0 vehicles.[/QUOTE]
Note I have not played the Beta, avoiding it for various reasons. With that said, I actually prefer Rush over Conquest for various reasons (at least in the BC series).
1) There is actually a goal to the game. If you don't arm before lives run out, game ends. In conquest, most people don't even try to capture areas. They just *see number 2*, tens times more in Hardcore mode.
2) Conquest is camping paradise. I could be nowhere near the capture sites and snipe people left and right. Boring...
3) Again, I haven't played the Beta but in rush in BC series there were plenty of vehicles and battles with them.

Remember what sets BF off from the rest is the reliance on your teammates. If you try to go one man army like any other FPS, you will get eaten alive. No other shooter game has that. None.

Beta has issues, but there really haven't ever been any bad Battlefield games. Willing to give the benefit of the doubt until they do mess up.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Finally managed to get into a game this morning. I enjoyed it although i always only play conquest. Didn't have any glitches happen in the 20 minutes i played before i had to run. However a couple things i disliked:

1. Guns - I dont think it was hit detection issues. Just seems like everything has terrible recoil and took a full clip to kill someone.
2. Menus- Very cumbersome. Feels like a step back from BC 2.

However, i liked the map and the gameplay was fun. Ill play a little more, but its still day 1 for me.[/QUOTE]

Guns get more accurate as you fire them. So drop the burst fire mindset.

Let’s start with the guns. The wild, bucking animals of Bad Company 2 have been tamed. The enormous kickback and inaccuracy of Bad Company 2′s weapons encouraged skittish burst fire. In Battlefield 3, an assault rifle will rattle in the hands for the first few shots, and then focus its bullets into a manageable stream. I lost a lot of one on ones in my first few games being too careful with my weapon. Don’t be afraid to hold down the fire button and let rip on fully automatic.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/09/29/battlefield-3-beta-impressions/

I like some of the changes, such as the sniper changes, but this one I hate.

Luckily my system doesn't meet the requirements so I don't have to even think about getting this game as the console version isn't even an option.

[quote name='lordopus99']2) Conquest is camping paradise. I could be nowhere near the capture sites and snipe people left and right. Boring...
[/QUOTE]

Couldn't disagree more. In Rush you have no choice but to run into their spawn while attacking and die over and over again trying to arm the m-coms. On both offense/defense people just lay prone in a bush or on a rock waiting for you to run into their path. At least in Conquest I can control flag areas and their spawns and I won't run into that.

Hate using scopes on console shooters (anything 4x & over), loving the ironsight option for Recon rifles.

Instead loving mother earth and burning a cross in my eye, I'm pusing forward helping my squad complete objectives, and inserting them deep inside the enemies rear.

They never said no.
;)

The main reason why I've never liked Rush mode is that it just feels too restrictive to me. You have your team defending the M-Coms and they don't have to do anything but sit back and wait for the attackers to come at you, and you usually know exactly where they can come from. It almost feels like the equivalent of scripted events except it's real players.

I like the unpredictability of Conquest. You have your 3 or 4 flags and if you are defending a flag you never know where the enemy is coming from. You can flank around the flags if you choose. Instead of giant choke points the battle is much more spread out on the map. I know a lot of people prefer Rush and that is fine, I just personally will be strictly playing Conquest and once the beta is over it will probably be the last time I play Rush on BF3. :lol:

[quote name='yahoosale14']im pretty sure dice said snipers aren't supposed to be one hit kills unless its a headshot[/QUOTE]

They can say what they want, but I've been getting one shot kills to the chest and back in every round as an attacker.

[quote name='Trakan']Couldn't disagree more. In Rush you have no choice but to run into their spawn while attacking and die over and over again trying to arm the m-coms.[/quote]
If you plan your attacks and work with your teammates, you will noticed you don't die as much.

On both offense/defense people just lay prone in a bush or on a rock waiting for you to run into their path.
Again, I have yet to play the Beta so I haven't seen proning with sniping yet. Note if it is bad in Rush, it will be even worse in Conquest. As for the comment related to BC2, it is way less than the amount in conquest. In rush mode, it is easy to grab them as they have to be in front of you. In conquest, it comes from anywhere. Note the vast majority of my knife kills came from snipers.

At least in Conquest I can control flag areas and their spawns and I won't run into that.
Don't know how you get away from it. One of the many examples: Laguna Presa - they can watch pretty much all the flag points from the mountain tops. Only one way up to these sniping points so easy to defend yourself as a sniper.

I guess we just had/have different experiences. In any case, this is why DICE created multiple modes so both you and I can enjoy our own style of gameplay.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Battlefield noob here. How/when do enemies show up on your mini map? I'm used to Call of Duty where I know where i can engage people. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

When they get spotted by a teammate. It's like real life, unless someone spots them you don't know where they are unlike Call of Duty but that's a totally different story.

[quote name='bg88']The main reason why I've never liked Rush mode is that it just feels too restrictive to me. You have your team defending the M-Coms and they don't have to do anything but sit back and wait for the attackers to come at you, and you usually know exactly where they can come from. It almost feels like the equivalent of scripted events except it's real players.

I like the unpredictability of Conquest. You have your 3 or 4 flags and if you are defending a flag you never know where the enemy is coming from. You can flank around the flags if you choose. Instead of giant choke points the battle is much more spread out on the map. I know a lot of people prefer Rush and that is fine, I just personally will be strictly playing Conquest and once the beta is over it will probably be the last time I play Rush on BF3. :lol:[/QUOTE]

I am like you. I don't like Rush very much and prefer the wider less restrictive areas of Conquest. I actually think until this beta I hadn't played Rush in like a year.

Just got to play finally. I agree the UI needs some work, but I'm sure it will be addressed for launch. Seems fun so far. I'm already having more fun than shotguns of war.

This thread reminds me why, as a game developer, I hate making public betas.

Is it just me or does anybody else get randomly kicked out of a lobby every once in a while?

I live on a island near Australia, so that could be it...

[quote name='Sistros']Is it just me or does anybody else get randomly kicked out of a lobby every once in a while?

I live on a island near Australia, so that could be it...[/QUOTE]

Me and my friends get the random "Lost Connection to GreeDy Servers"

[quote name='slickkill77']Conquest > Rush by a mile. I still have no idea what DICE was thinking leaving conquest out of Bad Company 1 initially.[/QUOTE]

I disagree almost 100%, conquest is by far the worst camp-fest. Rush gives more incentive to keep moving and pushing.

And for all the people that think this is close to the final version of the game:

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/zh1nt0/~bVAeO

[quote name='gundamxzero']I disagree almost 100%, conquest is by far the worst camp-fest. Rush gives more incentive to keep moving and pushing.

And for all the people that think this is close to the final version of the game:

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/zh1nt0/~bVAeO[/QUOTE]

Funny how this divides the community. I play 100% conquest and hate rush. I'm firmly convinced no one uses the "rush or conquest" option in BC 2.

On topic, I saw that tweet earlier today too. I just don't hink DICE/EA was expecting the backlash they're getting.

[quote name='thrustbucket']This thread reminds me why, as a game developer, I hate making public betas.[/QUOTE]

What game(s)?

Has anyone else noticed a LOT more crazy kills from people far away that you don't even see? Either I haven't played in awhile, or the range on these weapons is far too long.

[quote name='matto1233']Has anyone else noticed a LOT more crazy kills from people far away that you don't even see? Either I haven't played in awhile, or the range on these weapons is far too long.[/QUOTE]

I've noticed people hovering approximately 100 ft. above the ground and sniping me from what has to be a distance or close to 1 mile.

[quote name='gundamxzero']I disagree almost 100%, conquest is by far the worst camp-fest. Rush gives more incentive to keep moving and pushing.

http://www.tweetdeck.com/twitter/zh1nt0/~bVAeO[/QUOTE]

I've seen this thought process before about Rush and I don't get it. I don't see how anyone could think Conquest is worse for camping than Rush. In Conquest the map is wide open and you have at least 3 or 4 flags spread out. Unless the teams are incredibly unbalanced you'll constantly have flags changing hands and people moving around towards other flags.

Rush mode fundamentally sets up for camping. The map is much more confined and everyone is funneled into these giant choke points. One team is forced to keep trying to move forward and arm the M-Coms while the defending team can sit back and "camp" the M-Coms. In Rush one team's responsibility is to sit back and camp. So I have trouble understanding how Conquest is worse than Rush for camping.

Started out not liking the beta so much but it has definitely grown on me. Everyone that's complaining about how it looks just has to take DICE's word on it that it will look better on October 25th. I'm really liking the first sniper they start you out on with no scope. It's a beast.

I may be in the minority here but I really like both the way this game plays and the way MW3 is shaping up. I will probably own both eventually but the one I get first will be dictated by what people say about the final products on CAG and what a few buddies end up choosing. I think that both of them have great separate qualities though and get you to look at an FPS in two different ways.

Oh and I actually play the Conquest or Rush mode... probably because I got into BC2 really late.

[quote name='thrustbucket'] this thread reminds me why, as a game developer, I hate making public betas.[/QUOTE]

So, you don't want community feedback to help improve your game? Seems odd to me.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']So, you don't want community feedback to help improve your game? Seems odd to me.[/QUOTE]

He's referring to the amount of complaining about problems. I know the beta has negatively affected how I feel about the game and has made me rethink my purchase. In fact, if my friends weren't planning on buying the game, I wouldn't be either.

I just hope the full version fixes some of the serious problems this has with spawn camping. Other glitches and such I can live with, but it's possible to kill people literally as they spawn in this beta. Also, the hit detection can be real shit sometimes, and lights need to be nerfed.

[quote name='VipFREAK']:/[/QUOTE]

Couldn't you warn people about the pointless loud noise at the beginning of that video? Or better yet, not post it at all?

There is a reason they lost 34K+ pre-orders since the beta came out, it is completely unimpressive. They should never have put out an Alpha (calling it a beta) so close to release date when its clear that it just isn't very good. I've never seen so many people unsatisfied with an open beta before.

Really enjoyed playing tonight, my friends and I were all able to get on the same team and squad, and I unlocked the bipod for one of the sniper rifles which really helps the semi-auto rifles.

Hopefully the full game has more nights like this than the ones prior.

I'm actually enjoying the game, I've never really played the Battlefield games too much with the exception of 1943.

I've played the crap out the COD series and even with the issues in this beta, when me and my friends are in the same squad and team the game is so much fun! I really only play COD when I play with some friends and it's fun but one guy can just about beat you if they have an awesome match and that bugs me, this game stresses team work and it shows.

I played with some randoms and no one throws out kits, revives, etc.. and you get rocked. I played with a couple of friends and we were reviving and throwing ammo out, using the radio and won fairly quickly.

I have not canceled my pre-order and I don't think I will. The worst beta I was a part of was the Socom:Confrontation on PS3 the game literally did not change from beta to gold and the actual changes to make the game the way it should have been on launch, did not come for months.

I don't see that happening with BF 3, I hope not least it seems like EA put so much money into it just to let it fail like that..

[quote name='bg88']I've seen this thought process before about Rush and I don't get it. I don't see how anyone could think Conquest is worse for camping than Rush. In Conquest the map is wide open and you have at least 3 or 4 flags spread out. Unless the teams are incredibly unbalanced you'll constantly have flags changing hands and people moving around towards other flags.

Rush mode fundamentally sets up for camping. The map is much more confined and everyone is funneled into these giant choke points. One team is forced to keep trying to move forward and arm the M-Coms while the defending team can sit back and "camp" the M-Coms. In Rush one team's responsibility is to sit back and camp. So I have trouble understanding how Conquest is worse than Rush for camping.[/QUOTE]
Remember this... Rush for defenders is camping as you are invading THEIR base. In real life, you wouldn't abandon your base unless you were falling back, which is what you do when an m-com is taken. With destructible environments, camping on defense isn't an advantage. Say I hide in a corner of a building, the rocket come through and kills me. Like you said, Rush environments are smaller with less places to hide i.e. sniping on most maps is a huge disadvantage. Now we go to Conquest. Open ended, everywhere I can hide. If I am nowhere in short range of flag points, I am pretty safe. If I get height advantage, snipers paradise i.e. promotion of camping, especially those with a CoD mentality of K/D.

[quote name='TheKrakRabbit']There is a reason they lost 34K+ pre-orders since the beta came out, it is completely unimpressive. They should never have put out an Alpha (calling it a beta) so close to release date when its clear that it just isn't very good. I've never seen so many people unsatisfied with an open beta before.[/quote]
True BF fans stick around. These are most likely the CoD people trying to find a new outlet since Activision continues to dick them.

bread's done
Back