Battlefield 3- Premium announced; 4 new expansions

[quote name='moojuice']I don't get why not being able to shoot down Jets with a stinger is a big deal. Jets don't hassle ground units nearly as much as helicopters.

The counter to an enemy Jet? Your own team's Jet. The regular cannon can't be dodged, so its really up to your own team's pilots to take down other jets. Sure, Jets can be a nuisance for ground vehicles (I've never even been damaged by a jet as a foot soldier), but your own team needs to get air superiority to let choppers do work on foot units.

As far as helicopters go, if there is a teamconsisting of a pilot/gunner/engineer, well yeah, one man shouldn't be able to take down that chopper, it requires another team to take down that chopper (or a jet, which doesn't need a lock on to do serious damage to a heli)[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I don't think I've ever been killed by a jet while on foot. I've had a tank blown up by a jet maybe like 10 times, and I've played this game way too much. Only the most skilled of jet pilots can cause ground units any hassle. Most of the time, you just see them flying around after each other and just being a waste of a unit.

I'm also a little surprised to see people complaining about choppers in this game, considering how beyond fucking annoying they were in Bad Company 2. A good chopper pilot could ass rape the best of teams even with the worst of teammates, especially considering your awesome weapon options were the slow moving tracer dart and the anti-air vehicles that shot marshmallows. At least there are good ways to take them down now. As far as ground-to-air missiles go, the best way to use them is in tandem. Me and some guy once both actually had mics and were just pissing off the other team, cause we would both lock-on, one of us would fire, the chopper would spend their flares, and the other guy would blow 'em out of the sky.

As far the mortar point brought up earlier, though I do think it's a little annoying that you cannot go into a team's spawn and rape a mortar guy, the easy solution to this is to have someone on your team (or you) bust out the mortar and take him down. Honestly, I would say that 80% of the people I have seen hang in their spawn and fire off mortars are morons who stay in one spot. In my head, I can almost hear them cursing when I nail them. And if they are moving around, then they are probably not getting off enough shots to be a true annoyance. Also, these people generally just pound whatever the contested point is. Just don't hang out in there, and you'll be fine. It's great to see someone landing mortar round after mortar round onto an MCOM and killing no one at all.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']
As far the mortar point brought up earlier, though I do think it's a little annoying that you cannot go into a team's spawn and rape a mortar guy, the easy solution to this is to have someone on your team (or you) bust out the mortar and take him down. Honestly, I would say that 80% of the people I have seen hang in their spawn and fire off mortars are morons who stay in one spot. In my head, I can almost hear them cursing when I nail them. And if they are moving around, then they are probably not getting off enough shots to be a true annoyance. Also, these people generally just pound whatever the contested point is. Just don't hang out in there, and you'll be fine. It's great to see someone landing mortar round after mortar round onto an MCOM and killing no one at all.[/QUOTE]

Truth right here. The only times I use the mortar is to take out other mortars and if we are not getting the m-coms. In the first set of m-coms on metro, it is hard as attackers to take them, sometimes. So you mortar at the places defenders like to set up shop and it works really well.

Yeah, the beginning of Metro is just about the only time I use the mortars for anything other than taking out other mortars. It's definitely a handy tool, because it's really hard to get close to the MCOMs without being seen. It's a wide-open map, so it really helps for someone to be taking out a few people. You just have to know the places that defenders like camp. One of them is by the wall near Objective A.

finally got that stupid wingman achievment. I made a little guide that works perfectly on easy if you need a hand.

anybody up for some rush boosting to get those two ribbons?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, after realizing BC2 is completely dead and no-one's playing Vietnam anymore, I went ahead and bought the $50 BF3 LE deal on Newegg. It showed up and I'm powering through, level 8 right now.

Sending some FR's out to some of you guys, be on the lookout for "nah dew," let's squad up.

Edit: Just applied to the platoon too, see you guys in the shit :)

I requested to join the platoon (XBL - BiscuitKiller). Would be nice to play with a group than just with randoms.

I also have a dogtag pre-order code for BF3 (xbox) - Looking for BF3 SPECACT kit upgrade code if anyone is interested in a trade.

It seems like even with so many of us in the "platoon" no one really plays together. The game rocks lets squad up!

[quote name='js1']It seems like even with so many of us in the "platoon" no one really plays together. The game rocks lets squad up![/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'll drop you an FR now and anyone can feel free to do the same with me. I play Conquest almost exclusively. I do have some other new releases I'd like to get done but I always come back to BF3. Heck, I was still playing BC2 regularly up until this one came out. I'm always even up for the occasional quick 1943 match. I'll be on now for a couple hours.

Little confused here, there's a platoon? Where do I add myself to all that good stuff? I'll throw you guys a friend request.

I can't decide whether I like Engineer or Assault more. I love reviving people, but I love blowing shit up as well. Hmph. I'm still hoping they patch in limited flares for aircraft at some point.

I hate playing recon. Anyone got a good tip for getting points? (I need to get the mag for that achievement.)

Options
-drive a jeep or aamtrc and earn points in there
-cap flags
-use shotguns or pdws.

I used shotguns on close quarters maps and the ump on mid range. Once you get the SV98 unlocked it's slightly more fun, but then you need to unlock the bipod to be able to snipe without any sway. That being said - the only map where I feel recon can make any decent contribution by sniping is on Tehran Highway (I only play conquest). The MAV is an awesome tool, but is useless when your teammates won't cap flags.

Finally got the air warfare ribbon yesterday after about a full day of work. The SPM really took a hit trying to get that ribbon. Finally got in a chopper with a good pilot on Caspian and did some work. The gunner in an attack helicopter is the way to go for anyone looking for this ribbon. You can take out a tank from the back with one good strafing run.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Little confused here, there's a platoon? Where do I add myself to all that good stuff? I'll throw you guys a friend request.

I can't decide whether I like Engineer or Assault more. I love reviving people, but I love blowing shit up as well. Hmph. I'm still hoping they patch in limited flares for aircraft at some point.[/QUOTE]

The platoon is on Battlelog. Just search for CheapAssGamer, there's around 40 members or so.

Alrighty, thank you. Just sent the application to join now.

Is it weird that I have a lot of fun spotting people with a sniper buddy and watching him take them out? It doesn't give me a lot of points but I like being able to help. Hopefully now that my internet is (seemingly) fixed I can play this more.

[quote name='wowimsocute']I hate playing recon. Anyone got a good tip for getting points? (I need to get the mag for that achievement.)

Options
-drive a jeep or aamtrc and earn points in there
-cap flags
-use shotguns or pdws.[/QUOTE]

if you need the 7 kills with a sniper rifle ribbon and you suck at sniping may I suggest this:
Take one of the 1st one's (M11 or SVD right?)
Remove the scope
go for CQC kills from the hip since it isn't bolt action

I went 11/3 doing this one round.

Now I just need the ribbons for nemesis, emplaced (stupid wire guide missles are useless) weapons and M-Com defense to get that stupid decorated achievement.

[quote name='nasum']if you need the 7 kills with a sniper rifle ribbon and you suck at sniping may I suggest this:
Remove the scope

Now I just need the ribbons for nemesis, emplaced (stupid wire guide missles are useless) weapons and M-Com defense to get that stupid decorated achievement.[/QUOTE]

The stationary weapon ribbon I got by pure luck. I meant to fire it at a tank, and it ended up hitting two guys coming over a hill. The M-Com defense ribbon, even though I play Rush almost all the time, took forever, just because you rarely camp out RIGHT by an M-Com. A nice place to get is the 2nd base on Tehran Highway. Objective A is by that high ass wall. Tuck yourself into the corner closest to where the offense is attacking from. You'll get a lot idiots who just jump down and try to place the explosive.

Pretty decent sized update this morning. The Battlefield blog has all the details for a PC update, but they say the console updates are still in the certification process. So I don't know what I downloaded this morning.

Full Patch Detail: (Note they say another one is on the way soon):
---- Client-Side Changes:

-- Visuals, Stability and Performance Fixes:

• General performance and loading time improvements
• “Black Screen” fix for an issue occurring on some PC Configurations
• Stereo and Rendering Support for Nvidia and AMD Graphics Cards
• Adjusted the “stuttering” encountered on some PC configurations.
• Fixed several Crashes when joining MP and Co-Op sessions
• Fixed multiple problems when using multiple monitors (Eyefinity / Surround).
• Fixed visual corruption issues on certain Nvidia Cards
• Improved loading times for certain textures
• Added console command “GameTime.MaxVariableFps” to limit max FPS
• Added console command “UI.DrawEnable” to hide UI for screenshots / videos

-- Balance and Gameplay Adjustments (PC)

• Fixed a problem with high speed mouse movement
• Added back some missing Growlers on Kharg Island Conquest Large
• Added back EOR sound for SQDM and TDM
• You should no longer be able to damage a friendly vehicle when sitting in an open position
• Grenades now drop to ground if you get killed while attempting to throw it(note the affect this will have on Hardcore mode!)
• Spawn protection now should work in Conquest. You should no longer spawn on points too close to enemies
• You should no longer spawn too close to enemies in TDM and SQDM
• Combat areas on Kharg Rush tweaked in order to disallow defenders to access the carrier ship after 1st base is taken and being able to enter the AA gun
• Fixed a problem with revived players not suffering suppression
• Fixed a problem with the camera when being revived in COOP
• Added joystick deadzone setting
• Fixed sound for when climbing ladders
• Fixed an issue with some weapon sounds in first person
• Fixed a swim sound loop error
• Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns, AA guns, and Jet Cannons against infantry
• Increased the damage of Helicopter Miniguns against jeeps.
• Reduced the physics impact of AA guns and Jet Cannons, players under attack from these weapons should no longer lose control.
• Increased the damage of the 44 Magnum slightly.
• Increased the range and minimum damage of the .357 Round from the MP412 Rex.
• Increased the range of all .45cal and 9mm weapons.
• Slightly increased the range of the P90 and MP7 and PDW-R.
• Slightly increased the range of the 5.56mm PDW-R and decreased the minimum damage at long range.
• Slightly increased the minimum range of the Mk11, SVD, and M39 EMR 7.62mm rifles.
• Decreased the maximum damage and maximum range of the G3 and SCAR-H 7.62mm weapons.
• Reduced the damage from FIM-92 and SA-18 IGLA missiles against aircraft.
• Increased the damage and range of the 40mm BUCK rounds.
• Reduced the damage .50cal weapons do against Helicopters.
• Updated T90 canister shell tweaks to match Abrams canister shells
UI Changes (PC)
• Added round duration and ticket summary at EOR
• Advanced squad polish – should be more intuitive
• Significant changes to the Join Squad functionality (see below)
• Fixed a problem regarding keybindings while playing
• You should now get a better error message when being disconnected via Battlelog

---- Server Update Highlights

• EOD Bot exploit fix
• Several crash fixes
• Anti-stat padding measures taken, disallowing ranked servers to run obscure settings
• Improved team kill kick configuration
• Support for unranked servers. Unranked servers do not report players' scores to Battlelog, but server administrators can freely control all settings

-- Share your profile and stats with new Battlelog functionality

• Ability to share your Profile and Stats pages to Facebook, Google+, and Twitter
• User Profile and Stats pages on Battlelog can now be accessed without being signed in to Battlelog if you know a user's URL
• Single sign on from Battlelog to Origin. If you're not logged in to Origin and join a game server, Battlelog will automatically sign you in to Origin in the background and join the game server

-- Quick notes on Squad changes in the Nov 22 update

• Removed FIND ME A SQUAD option
• Allow players to join empty Squads alone, thus having 1/4 squad members
• Change order of options to LEAVE SQUAD, INV A FRIEND, SWITCH TEAM
• Disable Privacy flag when 1 man squad
• Reset Privacy flag from Private to Public when squad drops to 1 player
• All occupied Squads will now show up colored blue on the Squad Selection screen
• Players who choose not to join squads will also show up as Blue in the "Not in a Squad” line
• Squads that are currently empty will display as white -- if you wish to join an empty Squad, you can choose the first one marked with white text

-- A detailed look at Squad refinements

A detailed look at Squad refinements

Today's PC client patch features numerous tweaks to Squad functionality and is part of our ongoing efforts to make it easier to play with friends and Platoon mates. These changes will also be implemented for consoles when we release the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 updates shortly. Stay tuned for the exact date of the console updates.

First, we need to look at how joining with Squads and Platoons affects the balance of teams. Initially, servers are commanded to equal out each side, so joining with friends can impact that balance while joining with Platoons further hinders this. As a result we have made some adjustments to the in-game Squad management screen.

For PC, you are now able to highlight the various Squads and select which one you wish to join by selecting a Squad and then clicking the Join Squad button. Please note that the Squad Privacy option still allows 2 man Squads which, during 64 player sessions, can lead to players with no squad position –- the number of people with no Squads will be shown at the bottom of the Squad selection list.

After the patch is applied to consoles (in the near future) you will be able to join Squads by cycling through the list and selecting which Squad you wish to join.

Can't wait for more maps :applause: and finally reap the rewards of that pre-order.

Definitly like the team-minded aspect in CQ mode. So many ways to level up and get points. Like spotting and what not, great game for a player to find a niche/support role.

For what it's worth, I just got 500 points for taking out an M-COM. I believe it was 200 before, so that's definitely new. I wish I got more points for spotting, it's a big thing and 10 points is nothing.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Nasum, that's a good suggestion but as far as I know those 2 aren't classified as "sniper rifles". The SV98 is the first one you can get the ribbon with. Do you have any tips for that one for those who suck at sniping?

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=338699[/QUOTE]

I'm 99.99% certain that I got mine with the SVD, unless taking the scope off of the SV98 suddenly makes it semi-auto... I don't know, I drink a lot when I play and tend to forget things.

If you are using a scope and you don't have the bi-pod yet, push down on LS to "hold your breath" and get a steady aim for a couple of seconds. Aim a bit high when you're at range since gravity will drop your bullet.
I'm an absolutely terrible sniper and actually have a tendency to do better with iron sights than any type of scope (except for the M60 which is just nasty).

I think I got shafted on the Emplaced Weapon Ribbon. I was on that AA gun at the back of Kharg Island (where the final M-Coms are in Rush or the Delta Flag in Cqst) and took out one jet and at least one helicopter, as well as a few ground troops running around behind that pile of containers. Why shouldn't that thing count? I ended up with an anti-vehicle ribbon so I know it wasn't just assists on the tanks/choppers/jet...

[quote name='nasum']if you need the 7 kills with a sniper rifle ribbon and you suck at sniping may I suggest this:
Remove the scope

Now I just need the ribbons for nemesis, emplaced (stupid wire guide missles are useless) weapons and M-Com defense to get that stupid decorated achievement.[/QUOTE]
i actually have that ribbon, but i did get it the way you described. i used the mk11mod? and ran around shooting people, using it like a pistol. i am actually surprised it worked.

the ribbon i need is the surveillance one, and i need the MAV for that. other ribbons i need: nemesis, suppression, mcom defender.

anyone got tips on suppression? i tend to just kill the enemies outright.

for the emplacement ribbon, i did it twice (!) on conquest - caspian border. there is a kornet or something in the corner of D and most people don't look there. if you just stick around there and spot infantry, you can blow them up when they they think noone is watching. (alternatively, i've read that if you lay mines, and are in a kornet when the mines kill someone, it counts as an emplacement kill. so another thing to try there.)

[quote name='wowimsocute']i actually have that ribbon, but i did get it the way you described. i used the mk11mod? and ran around shooting people, using it like a pistol. i am actually surprised it worked.

the ribbon i need is the surveillance one, and i need the MAV for that. other ribbons i need: nemesis, suppression, mcom defender.

anyone got tips on suppression? i tend to just kill the enemies outright.

for the emplacement ribbon, i did it twice (!) on conquest - caspian border. there is a kornet or something in the corner of D and most people don't look there. if you just stick around there and spot infantry, you can blow them up when they they think noone is watching. (alternatively, i've read that if you lay mines, and are in a kornet when the mines kill someone, it counts as an emplacement kill. so another thing to try there.)[/QUOTE]

Suppression - Use an LMG (also the suppression perk (slot #3) if you have it unlocked) and do it on Grand Bazaar. Shooting from either A or C overlooking B is a great way to get this ribbon. There is a concrete barrier at C right near the road, up some steps, with a direct line of sight at B where you can suppress the heck out of them all day long. Prop the bipod up on that barrier and reload as needed. Remember with the bipod, you will have much better accuracy, so miss them purposely, but shoot close to them. Hopefully some decent teammates will take them out.

Be prepared to have a couple of rounds where you get only 5 or 6 suppress assists, because they'll happen. The ribbon will come eventually. Your SPM will probably hurt during this process too.

Alternatively, Operation Metro is another good map for it. The set up of that map with the hallways, etc makes it great for getting the suppression assists. Make sure you spot when you shoot (and all the time for that matter) so your teammates know where they are as you are trying to suppress.

Nemesis Ribbon - I'd advise getting a tank and doing this on the container yard map (also conquest). It's easy to rack up a lot of kills on that map because the flags are so close together. The tank for the sole purpose that it will keep you alive longer to do more shooting. This one will come with time. I think I may have also gotten this one on Metro first because the same idiot kept rushing B.

MAV - you'll get the surveillance ribbon in no time once it's unlocked. I'd advise flying straight to point B at the beginning of the match on Tehran Highway (conquest) due to the cluster-screw of that flag at the beginning of the match. Tons of enemies and friendlies will be down there to get you the assists.

M-Com Defender - I don't know, I only play conquest. :cool: I would guess it would come in due time if you play enough rush. I also now have to get all the ribbons for the other game modes.

I think I got suppression while being the gunner in a Vodnik?

I'll have to try for the Tehran Defender ribbon tonight. Seems like I end up getting stuck in a doofus squad and never get any support while trying to go for that pin.

I did do something kind of stupid last night that resulted in a buit of a laugh. I basically pulled a jihad jet on the last base of Kharg Island, ejected while doing a suicide run towards that building. It didn't give me any points, but I'm fairly certain that I ended up wiping out a fair number of defenders that ended up with the bad luck screen.

Also, is it just me or is giving someone the zap for a revive really different now? I remember zapping people's feet in BC2 and picking them up, now it seems like I don't get the revive if I'm not spot on their torso.

That x360a guide really messed me up if you really can do it with the SVD. I finally unlocked the SV98 last night and the best I could do with it was 4-5 kills per round. I'm going to have to try the SVD with the default scope and try to get 7 just to see if it will work. Is the SVD semi-automatic? I think the MK11 is and I'd greatly prefer to use it or the SVD over the 98.

I'm pretty sure the SVD is semi-automatic? I believe I have it. I don't play Recon that much so I'm not positive.

Turns out my internet isn't fixed...again. 6 technician visits later...christ.

I really wish that teammate tactical lights didn't blind you on top of getting blinded by enemy TLs, gets a bit obnoxious sometimes. I'm not particularly sure what this patch on Xbox was if the one Xtreme posted is still in certification, all I've noticed so far is that the points for taking out an M-COM got bumped up to 500.

[quote name='slickkill77']I don't think this was the important patch ala flash lights and what not. I think that is still in certification.[/QUOTE]

Correct. The PC got it. Ours is coming after this week, 1-2 weeks maybe?

[quote name='AlphaPanda']I really wish that teammate tactical lights didn't blind you on top of getting blinded by enemy TLs, gets a bit obnoxious sometimes. I'm not particularly sure what this patch on Xbox was if the one Xtreme posted is still in certification, all I've noticed so far is that the points for taking out an M-COM got bumped up to 500.[/QUOTE]

The best is when I put a full clip in someone coming around the corner, because I get blinded by the tact light, and then I realize it was a teammate. Thank god there isn't friendly fire lol

I love that tact lights blind teammates....its the perfect motivator for bitchass snipers sitting in the back. I have spent entire rounds flashing a light in their face washing them move back and forth like fools.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I love that tact lights blind teammates....its the perfect motivator for bitchass snipers sitting in the back. I have spent entire rounds flashing a light in their face washing them move back and forth like fools.[/QUOTE]

LOL, love this. So I'm going to try to get the sniper ribbon tonight with the MK11/SVD and no scope. I'll report back on how it goes.

Edit: Jeez, why the heck did I trust that guide? Got the sniper rifle ribbon with the SVD and no scope. It only took me 2 or 3 rounds so I highly recommend this method to those who hate sniping but need the ribbon.

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Any advice on how to get the Squad Wipe ribbon? I've been playing Squad Rush and Squad Deathmatch and have only scored a squad wipe once.[/QUOTE]

I would wait for the patch that fixes the squads as I am sure there is going to be a lot of 1 man squads running around and make it easy to get that ribbon. You can get that ribbon in Conquest as I got it a few times there and have yet to play more then a few matches of any other mode.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Got the sniper rifle ribbon with the SVD and no scope.[/QUOTE]

Yep, told ya so.

I'm starting to get sick of getting one shotted by supressed pistols. Yes, I realize anything to the head will be a death, but there's no way that people can accurately headshot me from more than 15ft with a pistol...

[quote name='Owen']I would wait for the patch that fixes the squads as I am sure there is going to be a lot of 1 man squads running around and make it easy to get that ribbon. You can get that ribbon in Conquest as I got it a few times there and have yet to play more then a few matches of any other mode.[/QUOTE]

Does that even work?

I've only gotten the squad wipe ribbon from killing 3-4 guys.

What is the longest headshot you guys have with a sniper?

I was using the SV98 last night, the other team had 10 tickets left and I was just messing around taking potshots at their spawn on Kharg Island... next thing you know 651m headshot. My longest one before that was somewhere in the 200s, nowhere remotely close to that mark.

Managed to get the squad wipe ribbon this afternoon playing SDM on caspian sea. Went 27-7, which is probably my best k/d round ever. Kept coming up on a sniper and then his whole squad would spawn on top of him - sheer luck!

My longest headshot is a long 114 meters. Eat that! One of my squadmates on Noshir Canals was doing work with the sniper on top of the building above Flag B. Normally, I'm against sniping (unless they are covering a flag), but if you are hitting from >600 meters away, you sound like you are definitely contributing.

Hey guys, so I just got this game last night and none of my friends play it.

Feel free to add me: cadetcogburn

I would love to find some guys to play with.

I really want to get the ninjas nerd points and finish the last co-op mission too. If you need co-op nerd points and want to help I'd be happy to work with you. You must talk too, I'm not going to have a conversation with my dog about the jackass who won't use a silenced pistol to attempt ninjas. If we work well together maybe we can even try to knock out some of the missions on hard.

I only have to do laundry today so I'll be playing quite a bit.

[quote name='nasum']I really want to get the ninjas nerd points and finish the last co-op mission too. If you need co-op nerd points and want to help I'd be happy to work with you. You must talk too, I'm not going to have a conversation with my dog about the jackass who won't use a silenced pistol to attempt ninjas. If we work well together maybe we can even try to knock out some of the missions on hard.

I only have to do laundry today so I'll be playing quite a bit.[/QUOTE]

I'll hit you with a FR when I get back in town on Monday, though I've only beaten the first two missions on normal thus far. Just haven't spent much time in co-op, and only with mic-less randoms.

So I picked up the game on the BF sale for 30 at BB. Installed it and activated the online code and everything was fine. Tried playing single player last night and all it did was loop the intro (where your guy jumps on the top of the train) and then repeats after a bit of a load. It won't let me skip or anything... what's the deal?

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']Managed to get the squad wipe ribbon this afternoon playing SDM on caspian sea. Went 27-7, which is probably my best k/d round ever. Kept coming up on a sniper and then his whole squad would spawn on top of him - sheer luck!

My longest headshot is a long 114 meters. Eat that! One of my squadmates on Noshir Canals was doing work with the sniper on top of the building above Flag B. Normally, I'm against sniping (unless they are covering a flag), but if you are hitting from >600 meters away, you sound like you are definitely contributing.[/QUOTE]

It was Rush on Kharg Island so they never even made it off the carrier really. Like I said with 10 tickets left and the other team not even close to getting either A or B, I started sniping.

I usually run Assault.

Its in Dec sometime, I remember seeing the exact date but cant remember it off hand. I still love this game and play it almost everyday. In my opinion it won the vs battle with MW3 by a long shot. The game modes feel boring in comparison, when everything boils down to SHOOT THINGS NOW!!!!!!!!

Just a side note not only are the maps coming out but each map should have new stuff as far as vehicles guns and gadgets.

bread's done
Back