Battlefield 3- Premium announced; 4 new expansions

[quote name='VAN1SH1NG PO1NT']So I take It the new maps bring life back to it. Thank god I got limted edition, so I don't have to pay for the maps.[/QUOTE]

Brought some life back into it? What the hell are you talking about BF3 is the 4th most played game on XBL. MW3, Black Ops, Skyrim then BF3.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Isn't simultaneous deaths good sometimes? I might be misunderstanding what you mean by it, I'm really damn tired right now, but if you shoot a bullet don't you want it to still travel after you die? One thing I hated in Call Of Duty is that the moment I'd die, any rocket or bullet would instantly disappear.

I'm not entirely fond of Rush on these new maps, just seems like it's a clusterfuck. No jets on any of the maps in Rush mode sucks as well.[/QUOTE]

Its Trak, I love him but the guy is never happy. If its not named COD it sucks anyway and if it is named COD there are still about 50 problems with it making it worse than earlier COD.

[quote name='GamerChris']Was playing the new maps last night and was shot by none other than Major Nelson himself. I felt so honored. Was nice to get him back as he was trying to capture a flag.[/QUOTE]
Haha nice. I would've been stalking him for dog tags the whole match :)

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Isn't simultaneous deaths good sometimes? I might be misunderstanding what you mean by it, I'm really damn tired right now, but if you shoot a bullet don't you want it to still travel after you die? One thing I hated in Call Of Duty is that the moment I'd die, any rocket or bullet would instantly disappear.[/QUOTE]

You understood correctly. Simultaneous deaths are never good IMO. Somebody shot first, and someone died first. I'm fine with a rocket traveling through the air killing me after I kill a guy or something, but not bullets. If it was one bullet kills it would make sense, but not with the system in place now.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Its Trak, I love him but the guy is never happy. If its not named COD it sucks anyway and if it is named COD there are still about 50 problems with it making it worse than earlier COD.[/QUOTE]

Why are developers special? I'm going to bitch about something until they get it right. BF3 does suck at times, but not always. So does COD. COD does have like 50 problems, yes. Still better than Black Ops though.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I just downloaded the new map packs since I have limited edition. My xbox360 keeps freezing when trying to play the new maps. I assure you there's nothing wrong with my xbox. When joining games with the new maps, it's like the disc drive of battlefield stops running and my xbox gets silent (but I can still shoot and stuff) but then after a few minutes everything freezes. And if I'm shooting someone when the xbox freezes my controller just keeps rumbling. wtf..?

I thought battlefield 3 was supposed to fix crashes. I didn't even have a problem before but now I get crashes. :l

Just unlocked guided missiles in the attack helicopter. Pretty excited to team up with a recon class and start laser targeting their vehicles! Does anyone know if it only works against air opponents or does it work against tanks and ground vehicles as well?

[quote name='Nealocus123']Just unlocked guided missiles in the attack helicopter. Pretty excited to team up with a recon class and start laser targeting their vehicles! Does anyone know if it only works against air opponents or does it work against tanks and ground vehicles as well?[/QUOTE]

Just ground vehicles and you have to be the gunner to use them.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']Just ground vehicles and you have to be the gunner to use them.[/QUOTE]

Yes, still pretty cool though. My roommate and I were flying and had a pretty nasty run while I was using the ground missile. We also had two sets of flares going which does miracles when being chased by annoying kids and their stinger missiles!

[quote name='Nealocus123']Yes, still pretty cool though. My roommate and I were flying and had a pretty nasty run while I was using the ground missile. We also had two sets of flares going which does miracles when being chased by annoying kids and their stinger missiles![/QUOTE]

Man, the medal I never thought I would get is the air warfare medal. Got it today, I love being the gunner. The guided missiles work wonders to take out tanks.

HAHA, same with me. I mentioned it earlier, that I never thought I'd get the air warfare medal. I suck at flying. But yeah, had a great run as a gunner once and picked it up.

guided missile + laser painter combination is deadly vs armored ground vehicles.

basically the missile will do a top-down attack, which results in a kill or an instant disable. similar to the javelin + soflam combo. i dont have them unlocked for the attack chopper though, only for the scout chopper.

btw, has anyone unlocked the anti armor shell for the IFV? i saw a video of it in action, and man it can tear up a tank like a mother..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M6yQTifyis

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you guys consider the update worth 1200 points? I got it for free with the LE, but I didn't know the thing would be 1200 points for everyone else. Figured it'd be 800 or so.

One thing I noticed is that, when looking at the assignments, each gun has its name in blue to the left or right of it. However, for the G53, it actually has "HK53" instead of G53 next to it. Are those two the same gun?

Dumb question, but how do you leave a game during the intermission? I always have to wait until the next match gets ready to start and hold start button to get the quit option.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Dumb question, but how do you leave a game during the intermission? I always have to wait until the next match gets ready to start and hold start button to get the quit option.[/QUOTE]

You can't, unfortunately. :wall: Not a dumb question at all. They did that in Bad Company 2 as well, never really understood why they liked that so much. It's like it's some sort of baiting system to get you to keep playing by making you wait.

So uh... what happened to Gulf of Oman and Sharqi Peninsula? I know I played with jets in Oman and attack helicopters on Sharqi once before, but not anymore.

I've only been getting Conquest Assault for the new maps, have others been getting regular Conquest on the new maps?

I think that, depending on whether it's Conquest or Conquest Assault, it changes whether you have jets and helicopters and all that. Which mode it plays is random, I think.

I really wish that I had the ability to check out the assignments in the recap screen after the games. I unlocked the G53, it showed that it opened up the next weapon to be unlocked, but I can't see what the requirements are unless I quit out. Bleh.

[quote name='AlphaPanda']Would you guys consider the update worth 1200 points? I got it for free with the LE, but I didn't know the thing would be 1200 points for everyone else. Figured it'd be 800 or so.

One thing I noticed is that, when looking at the assignments, each gun has its name in blue to the left or right of it. However, for the G53, it actually has "HK53" instead of G53 next to it. Are those two the same gun?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's as worth the 1200 MSP as Vietnam for BC2 was, but Karkand's still worth having if you're a big fan of Battlefield.

As for the G35, it's clearly based on the Heckler & Koch MP5, hence the HK name slip-up. What's funnier to me is the thing has a 12x ballistic scope on top immediately after unlocking it!

[quote name='Necrozilla']So uh... what happened to Gulf of Oman and Sharqi Peninsula? I know I played with jets in Oman and attack helicopters on Sharqi once before, but not anymore.

I've only been getting Conquest Assault for the new maps, have others been getting regular Conquest on the new maps?[/QUOTE]

I don't know what determines it, but I've definitely played 3 and 5 flag versions of Karkand in Assault.

Redone maps are kinda 'meh', definately not as memorable as they were in BF2.

The "play X hours on map" requirement is going to be a bitch unless they add 24/7 servers or bring back team rotation & same map.

I really don't wanna play Rush for 2 hours, then 4 more.

[quote name='bsmiff']
As for the G35, it's clearly based on the Heckler & Koch MP5, hence the HK name slip-up. What's funnier to me is the thing has a 12x ballistic scope on top immediately after unlocking it![/QUOTE]

Recon unlock comes with 7x scope, while the other three weapons have 12x.
:lol:

[quote name='Trakan']I don't know what determines it, but I've definitely played 3 and 5 flag versions of Karkand in Assault.[/QUOTE]

I originally thought that the flag set was determined by the number of players present when the server changes maps, but that isn't the case as I played a Sharqi that starts with 12v12.

I haven't even played a normal conquest in Karkand...not even sure if there is such a thing...it's always Conquest Assault.

Also, Sharqi is horrible on a 3 flag set as attackers. Defenders can shoot into your spawn from the tv station, and they can even go INTO your spawn and steal your own vehicles. Really dont understand why they allow these things.

[quote name='moojuice']I originally thought that the flag set was determined by the number of players present when the server changes maps, but that isn't the case as I played a Sharqi that starts with 12v12.

I haven't even played a normal conquest in Karkand...not even sure if there is such a thing...it's always Conquest Assault.

Also, Sharqi is horrible on a 3 flag set as attackers. Defenders can shoot into your spawn from the tv station, and they can even go INTO your spawn and steal your own vehicles. Really dont understand why they allow these things.[/QUOTE]

We randomly played 4v4 5 flag CQ assault on Karkand last night. Nobody would join.

I honestly like being able to go in their spawn, though I wish it wouldn't spawn people right in front of you or have them spawn looking at you. That whole fix for spawning into danger while spawning on a flag doesn't seem to be fixed either, in my experience.

[quote name='giantqtipz']guided missile + laser painter combination is deadly vs armored ground vehicles.

basically the missile will do a top-down attack, which results in a kill or an instant disable. similar to the javelin + soflam combo. i dont have them unlocked for the attack chopper though, only for the scout chopper.

btw, has anyone unlocked the anti armor shell for the IFV? i saw a video of it in action, and man it can tear up a tank like a mother..
[/QUOTE]

i love the AP shell for the IFV. basically you can continuously fire into tanks by switching guns, and if you have good aim for the direct hit, it's extra firepower vs infantry. i think it also has a psychological effect of "does he ever stop firing?" and a little confusion.

i don't think i'll change to guided missile when i unlock it. i think with reactive armor and a engineer who repairs and has the proximity scan, it is unstoppable.

can't wait to try the laserpaint/guided missile.

Really wish they would separate Conquest Assault and Conquest modes. I am not a fan of Conquest Assault and I've only been able to play with the choppers one time on Gulf of Oman. Glad I'm not going crazy though too haha. Definitely confused me for a little while.

I'm enjoying the new maps but I have to echo the sentiments of others regarding the awful logistics DICE is using. They've always been sort of wacky but the new expansion just puts them into focus more. Here are some of my issues:

-The automatic mixing of Conquest and Conquest Assault. I really dislike Assault not only for the bizarre structure and automatic bleeding of tickets to the losing team but the fact that it completely changes the vehicle choices. If you want to include an extra game mode that's great. However, give those of us that don't like it the choice to ignore it like you do with every other game mode.

-The awful matchmaking for Wake Island. Perhaps it's just the late hours I play but why is the number of matches on this fun map disproportionately low to the other maps? Going into the server browser I'm lucky to find 1 or 2 Wake Island Conquest games going on and they're mostly either full or I politely get launched into another map when selecting it. Why?

-No ability to select either automatically replaying a single map or a group of maps. Why does DICE force you to manually quit and load another game if you want to focus on a single map? Even worse, why can you not play only Back to Karkand maps if you want to? They're so big on tracking quits now and they force you to sit through loading the next map only to have to quit and restart if you want to play Back to Karkand only.

-Achievements and earning new weapons is extremely tough without a method of controlling which map you can play on. I'd like to try to get the darn skid loader achievement or use the required vehicles/maps to get achievements and weapons but how can I put any time into this if certain vehicles are disabled because of automatic Conquest Assault or there are no matches going at Wake Island?

-No quitting until the next map loads. I know we've had to endure this since BC2 but it's really getting on my nerves, especially when the quick match dumps you into a empty game, an outrageously lopsided one, or you just want to play a certain map or group of maps. I understand their logic behind this but if they aren't going to fix the other issues then just let us quit when we want to. It just feels like a restriction of control. Shouldn't I be able to do what I want with my time?

-The vehicle mine system is just srewy now. One early report mentioned that they would all disappear after dying but the final Xbox 360 update list didn't mention it at all. However, something clearly is different about them. Sometimes they disappear when I die and other times they don't. Is there a logic to this that someone has a grasp of? Is there a limit on how many you can place? I'm not even going to bother with them if you have to place them with every new spawn.

-The crazy number of "Bad Luck" unexplained suicides. I've seen these on everything from simply running around to driving a tank to calmly flying a helicopter in a straight line. If I was really killed by an enemy then that's fine. However, the kill cam and death card needs to be fixed to explain that to me. If there really is no reason for dying then this is pretty unexcusable. It's been much worse since the update and I've seen as many as 2-3 in one match whereas before I had seen maybe a total of 2-3 in my entire playtime.

I don't mean to be overwhelmingly negative as I really enjoy this game and Battlefield as a whole. However, I think I would have a lot more fun with it if these silly background issues were ever resolved.

Been getting my butt handed to me on these new maps - the only one I know is Wake Island. So many snipers/campers in buildings now. SPM has dropped probably 20 points since Tuesday.

I do like the assignments though - adds some more things to work towards.

[quote name='gubmccargen']Even worse, why can you not play only Back to Karkand maps if you want to? They're so big on tracking quits now and they force you to sit through loading the next map only to have to quit and restart if you want to play Back to Karkand only.[/QUOTE]

There are a few servers with "B2K" in the name that run B2K maps solely. Mark 'em as favorites and you're good to go.

This game's infantry combat is horrible now, and they may as well give u a better scope than the thermal to replace it cuz its pointless now. So this game is back to being medal of honor and bad company again, sniper spam on every server....they almost force u to sit in vehicles the whole time....but they don't ever nerf sniper rifles. So sick of kids/and adults who act like kids complaining about things that actually give assault rifle players an advantage.

[quote name='bsmiff']There are a few servers with "B2K" in the name that run B2K maps solely. Mark 'em as favorites and you're good to go.[/QUOTE]

Nice find. You would think DICE would either advertise how to do this or simply create a B2K option in the quick match. That would be too simple, though. For as great as DICE is at making Battlefield games they really lack in the simple user-friendly options department.

Pretty much took the words right out of my mouth, Gub. They completely broke mines now that they light up the mini map like a fucking Christmas tree. I am totally for them being destroyed after death, and I even think enemies should be able to spot them like you do a enemy soldier or vehicle, but to make them bright red on your map is a little over kill...

Also I'm still running into the issue of getting put on opposite teams when I'm in a squad. I don't understand why they can't fix these insanely small issues immediately.

Wahhh they nerfed thermals. If you learn how to play without it (hell, try iron sights for awhile) it will make you a better player. If you can't play without IR scopes, kindly go back to CoD. FWIW, I tried the thermal scope earlier and it worked just fine for me.

[quote name='wowimsocute']i love the AP shell for the IFV. basically you can continuously fire into tanks by switching guns, and if you have good aim for the direct hit, it's extra firepower vs infantry. i think it also has a psychological effect of "does he ever stop firing?" and a little confusion.

i don't think i'll change to guided missile when i unlock it. i think with reactive armor and a engineer who repairs and has the proximity scan, it is unstoppable.

can't wait to try the laserpaint/guided missile.[/QUOTE]

oh shoot now im REALLY excited about the AP shell haha! i played multiple conquest games in a row this morning in hopes of hogging an IFV (just to get unlocks) but none of the maps i played had IFVs! i played for 2 hours too heh.. i guess ill just focus on playing seine and kharg on rush.

anyway, the best part about having laser painter and guided missile on your heli is that you can use it against air vehicles AND ground vehicles. but since guided missiles are slower than heat seekers, there is a chance that you will miss, especially against jets if they make tight turns at the very last second.

apart from that, you can expect it to disable or kill tanks in one hit using that combo. you will love it man. i dont know if you play rush. but on noshahr canals, the defenders get the mobile AA; and theres always one player who hogs that vehicle. if you literally troll the mobile AA with your guided missile, the defenders might literally abandon the AA completely and ignore it for the rest of the match. i

How many active CAGs are playing this? Is there a server that people tend to frequent? I would like to play on a server that stays near full and doesn't have so many quitters.

Seems like anytime a developer "nerfs" something, people start bitching. I still play mostly as support and don't always jump into a vehicle, and I've still had some great games since the update. Not really sure what the guy before was complaining about. As far as snipers go, eh, it's like that in almost every game. Camping and sniping is one of those things that EVERYONE can do, but only a few can master. Anytime I get killed by a sniper, I like to check the scoreboard, and more often than not, the guy has a 1:1 KD, so I couldn't care less. Then, I end up flanking him and knifing his ass.

If you think the nerfing of the infrared scope killed infantry combat then you suck at this game. The infr scope was dumb. Its like playing batman in predator vision the whole game.

They either need to drop conq assault or make them separate. I don't understand why Dice does shit like this. Like with Bad Company when they only included rush and no conquest. I swear the people at Dice just do things like this to fuck with their user base

[quote name='Trakan']I still get kills with mines consistently. I think they're finally balanced.[/QUOTE]

That's great if they're balanced but how are they balanced? What are the parameters for mines now? Does anyone understand it?

Also, why is it so tough to add some of you to my Friends list? I'd like to squad up but half of you ignore my requests. I know that I have a lame CAG username but look under my username! That FR from Jaskull is from me. I never thought I would actually become involved in this community when I made this awful name to avoid the ads. :lol: It would be nice if the mods would ever grant my request to change it.

[quote name='giantqtipz']oh shoot now im REALLY excited about the AP shell haha! i played multiple conquest games in a row this morning in hopes of hogging an IFV (just to get unlocks) but none of the maps i played had IFVs! i played for 2 hours too heh.. i guess ill just focus on playing seine and kharg on rush.

apart from that, you can expect it to disable or kill tanks in one hit using that combo. you will love it man. i dont know if you play rush. but on noshahr canals, the defenders get the mobile AA; and theres always one player who hogs that vehicle. if you literally troll the mobile AA with your guided missile, the defenders might literally abandon the AA completely and ignore it for the rest of the match. i[/QUOTE]
I used to play rush exclusivley in bfbc2, where teams were good and I good do something even if my team wasn't good. now I'm playing almost all conquest. hint: best places for IFV unlocks are Tehran highway, noshir canals and grand bazaar on conquest. lots of people to kill, smallish map, and pretty quick spawn time. also easier to get points because you can get points for flag caps (anywhere from 150 to 250) even if you are gunner or sitting in back.

I used the mobile Aa on noshir yesterday for the first time. in two rounds, unlocked like five things with a 3.0 kd. that thing is crazy.

coop is making me mad. three times I was close to finishing fire in the sky and we simply hit a tree and died. once was my fault-soangry. luckily, I got a good pilot and we beat it, getting untouchable also.

Like the game a lot but I suck. It seems I am always spotted before I spot the enemy. Compared to Call of Duty I have a hard time picking up enemies. I know this is vague but any advice? Maybe I just need to spend more time on it. Most of my points are for capturing points, very little for actually killing anyone.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Like the game a lot but I suck. It seems I am always spotted before I spot the enemy. Compared to Call of Duty I have a hard time picking up enemies. I know this is vague but any advice? Maybe I just need to spend more time on it. Most of my points are for capturing points, very little for actually killing anyone.[/QUOTE]

Join a squad and work together with them. Pay attention to your radar and try to flank enemies that pop up. Watch for when your teammates die (skull and crossbones icon) and scan that area for enemies. Keep your eyes peeled at all times and get used to using the spot button. Think more about your cover and don't rush into gunfights without some strategy. Use the prone position to get your ass out of sight, and crouch too. Pick the proper camo for whatever map you're on. Most importantly, aim for the head :)

Hope some of that helps. Practice is for the best!

Any tips on getting the "Destroy vehicle with repair torch" requirement?

Before this thing existed, people would stay inside their vehicles and burn to death, now they jump out as soon as I start using the torch.

Wish they just made it "disable".

[quote name='KrizB']Any tips on getting the "Destroy vehicle with repair torch" requirement?

Before this thing existed, people would stay inside their vehicles and burn to death, now they jump out as soon as I start using the torch.

Wish they just made it "disable".[/QUOTE]

Well, you can destroy enemy equipment and it will count as well. Spawn beacons, mortars, etc. If you want to take out a vehicle, best bet would be the amtrack.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']Like the game a lot but I suck. It seems I am always spotted before I spot the enemy. Compared to Call of Duty I have a hard time picking up enemies. I know this is vague but any advice? Maybe I just need to spend more time on it. Most of my points are for capturing points, very little for actually killing anyone.[/QUOTE]

Check this out.

Edit: Fatmanforlife's recommendation was much more useful.

How's everybody liking Back To Karkand so far? I'm enjoying it, but I'm not sure I'd pay 15 dollars for it if I wasn't getting it for free with the LE. It's nice to be able to play all the old maps again. I've found that one thing I'm terrible at in this game is judging for drop distance when I'm trying to snipe from long range. Any tips on that?

bread's done
Back