Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC ($20) - Battlefield 2 Complete ($15) from August 19-22

shadow763

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
EA.com has BFBC 2 on sale for $20 for the downloadable version, $30 for a physical copy plus S/H.

Per this splash page, looks like the deal runs August 19-22. It also includes Battlefield 2 Complete for $15.

http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/en_U...0?LSsiteID=OOTtr9mlaCk-Anxlc7vsQmBHt0rTvO1LMg

Download Version

http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/ThemeID.718200/productID.156691300

Physical Version

http://eastore.ea.com/store/ea/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.118201400

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mtxbass1']wow. Can I still play with people who are on steam in private matches?[/QUOTE]

Yes, Steam only sells the game, they don't run the servers or anything like that.

For people complaining about wishing this were on Steam, you can get it from EA for $20 and then from the Steam Library screen, click "Add Game" in the lower left corner and then "Add a Non-Steam Game." You can go through your computer and run it out of Steam like every other Steam game you own.

$30 for a physical copy is already msrp, so might as well go for the digital download for ten bucks cheaper even though its from EA's store.

[quote name='silantstrike']would be kinda cool if steam would price match[/QUOTE]

They won't, at least not right now. Sales are up to the publisher, not Valve.

There is no way EA would authorize the same sale simultaneously because then no one would buy the game from EA's site, making EA's own sale pointless.

I'm holding out for a Steam sale myself, because I dislike EA's downloading service. I also hate having my games scattered everywhere, and I'm set between Gamersgate, GOG, Steam, Impulse, and D2D (which is already too many, hence why I don't need one shots on random other services.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am waiting to see what the Steam weekend deal is just in case, then I will probably pull the trigger.

Question.

Does anyone know how the EA download service works? Is it a one time thing or do they let you redownload later?

The EA Download service is a client that you need to have running to download the game. But not to play the game. It used to be that your download would expire after 1 Year, but they no longer state that anywhere and I was able to redownload Spore about 2 months ago and I got it in Sept 2008.

I've gotten Mass Effect 2, Need for Speed Shift and Bad Company 2 through it.

Bad company 2 bought through the EA Store, NFS was bought through Impulse, ME 2 was bought through Direcr 2 Drive and I also have the boxed version of Dragon Age registered on EA's downloader, so as long as it's a CD key they're not picky.

Are there any coupon codes that stack with this? I have this for 360, but wouldn't mind picking it up for PC if it were tad cheaper.

I bought this for $20 with the PAX code a few months back. Just finished the SP last night. Not bad overall. I'd give it an 81%. Need to delve into the online part more. It's worth $20 and I use Gamespy Comrade to launch it.

[quote name='DirkBelig']I bought this for $20 with the PAX code a few months back. Just finished the SP last night. Not bad overall. I'd give it an 81%. Need to delve into the online part more. It's worth $20 and I use Gamespy Comrade to launch it.[/QUOTE]

I've only played a bit of the single player, but it was indeed decent. the Multiplayer's killer though.

I've played lots and lots.

TO WHOMEVER WISHES STEAM WOULD PRICEMATCH:

Steam does not fully integrate this game. You cannot right-click on someone on your friends list who is playing this game and select "join game", you cannot browse the BFBC2 servers through Steam, there is literally zero benefit to owning this game through a Steam purchase. Buying this game through Steam vs. integrating the .exe for BFBC2 into Steam are literally the exact same thing. both allow you to access Steam through a keyboard combo in-game, and that's really where Steam integration ends.

To integrate any executable into Steam, thereby allowing Steam functionality in games or programs not purchased through Steam:

Go to your Library list, and at the very bottom left select "Add a Game". Browse to the executable for your game and choose to integrate it. Now open it through Steam or through a shortcut generated through Steam, and you will have the minimum Steam integration that BFBC2 purchased through Steam would allow you.

The benefit to me to having a game like this through Steam is to have all my digital content from one service and one that isn't as nazi-ish about redownloads. There are benefits to having games through Steam besides the integrated friends and join game functionality.

Yeah being able to easily redownload it when you get a new pc or hard drive is priceless.

You know with STeam there are no hassles.

EA on the other hand well they always pull stupid sht on you. And make you jump through hoops. It's their corporate culture.

For that reason I am hesitating on the purchase. Through STeam I'd have bought it already. I do have it on the 360 and the online brings back the old BAttlefield feel pretty well with some fun additions. Graphics are sweet. Environments exploding like no tomorrow. Lots of unlocks.

Downsides are much more muted. But they would be small maps - arena like really compared to what I'm used to in BF2. Also finding out lately there are lots of newb weapons. Lots of one shot, one kill run around a corner weapons. And pistols??? Too strong imo. I get taken by pistols vs my assault rifle too often.

Ok I'm a controller newb though and that's part of it. One reason I'm looking at the pc version now. Although it runs so rock steady on the 360.

If you are willing to buy digitally through Steam then you should be willing to buy through EA. Yes, your game will not be integrated through Steam, but you can redownload and the EA downloader is incredibly unintrusive, you can even burn the resultant game to a DVD and have a disc copy of the game to use with your CD Key.

20$ is a fantastic deal for this game and if you miss out on it for wanting everything to be on Steam that is your loss and your choice.

[quote name='mrsamsa']If you are willing to buy digitally through Steam then you should be willing to buy through EA. Yes, your game will not be integrated through Steam, but you can redownload and the EA downloader is incredibly unintrusive, you can even burn the resultant game to a DVD and have a disc copy of the game to use with your CD Key.

20$ is a fantastic deal for this game and if you miss out on it for wanting everything to be on Steam that is your loss and your choice.[/QUOTE]

It's a choice of convenience for me. I've hesitated from buying from digital distributors other than Steam because I want to keep my life simple. Format PC, install Steam, login... all my games are available. I don't want to have to keep a log of purchases I've made and accounts I've set up for multiple vendors.

I don't think the EA downloader is intrusive and I'm not "afraid" of other retailers; nor am I such a big FAN of Steam that I shun all others. It's just a choice some people make, including me.

Having said all that, I'm starting to see publishers undercutting Steam more and more these days - particularly EA. If they simply wanted to move units, there's no reason they couldn't run simultaneous sales and just sit back and enjoy them from wherever they came. Sure they don't have to give Steam a cut, but I doubt the developer cares about that as much as EA does. Plus they are losing sales to people like me. I hope developers keep in mind when signing with them that they are going to also use their product to promote their own store.

Just my .02

[quote name='mrsamsa']If you are willing to buy digitally through Steam then you should be willing to buy through EA. Yes, your game will not be integrated through Steam, but you can redownload and the EA downloader is incredibly unintrusive, you can even burn the resultant game to a DVD and have a disc copy of the game to use with your CD Key.

20$ is a fantastic deal for this game and if you miss out on it for wanting everything to be on Steam that is your loss and your choice.[/QUOTE]

How do you burn a copy of your game to a disc? I bought that Red Alert 3 Uprising from them when it was $5 (missed the Steam sale and burning would be a redemption!)

[quote name='moojuice']Is BF2 (not BC2) still played regularly?[/QUOTE]

yes, i just got BF2 today and there are tons of people still playing.

bread's done
Back