Battlefield Bad Company 2; Vietnam (1200 points) out; plus 4 new free maps

[quote name='HydroX']Once you unlock the defib, playing a medic sure does rank you up hella fast.[/QUOTE]

I think it was a mistake not to have medpacks, Defib, and Engy repair tool unlocked from the start. Those classes are useless without those things.

I felt like a tool when I was starting out as medic, not dropping health packs, not reviving teamates, etc.

Couple of questions:

- I have over 250 sets of dogtags, like 2-3 of them are silver colored, while the rest are that rusty bronze. Whats with the silver tags?

- I'm not sure how a couple of the specializations work. Like Magnum rounds. Do they affect all weapons? What about increased explosive damage? Does that affect vehicle weapons as well as grenades, toobs, and launchers? These things are poorly explained in the game.

[quote name='Puffa469']I think it was a mistake not to have medpacks, Defib, and Engy repair tool unlocked from the start. Those classes are useless without those things.

I felt like a tool when I was starting out as medic, not dropping health packs, not reviving teamates, etc.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Puffa469']Couple of questions:

- I have over 250 sets of dogtags, like 2-3 of them are silver colored, while the rest are that rusty bronze. Whats with the silver tags?

- I'm not sure how a couple of the specializations work. Like Magnum rounds. Do they affect all weapons? What about increased explosive damage? Does that affect vehicle weapons as well as grenades, toobs, and launchers? These things are poorly explained in the game.[/QUOTE]

I agree. When I started playing I was like, what the fuck? Where's the repair tool? Defib? Health pack? WTF?? I avoided the Medic class because you didn't start with anything that had to do with being a medic.

Bronze dogtags are of people ranked 1-19 I think. Silver ones are 20+? I could be wrong. I'm assuming there are gold dogtags for those ranked above a certain number. I have yet to play with anyone above rank 27.

As for the specializations, the vehicle ones effect vehicles only. While the explosive upgrades effect C4, Rockets, Grenade Launchers, and I think Mortar Strikes. It's not really poorly explained if you associate the fact that the vehicle upgrades are seperate from the other explosive/ammo upgrades. I don't mean to come across as a dick, but it's a common sense thing.

[quote name='HydroX']I agree. When I started playing I was like, what the fuck? Where's the repair tool? Defib? Health pack? WTF?? I avoided the Medic class because you didn't start with anything that had to do with being a medic.

Bronze dogtags are of people ranked 1-19 I think. Silver ones are 20+? I could be wrong. I'm assuming there are gold dogtags for those ranked above a certain number. I have yet to play with anyone above rank 27.

As for the specializations, the vehicle ones effect vehicles only. While the explosive upgrades effect C4, Rockets, Grenade Launchers, and I think Mortar Strikes. It's not really poorly explained if you associate the fact that the vehicle upgrades are seperate from the other explosive/ammo upgrades. I don't mean to come across as a dick, but it's a common sense thing.[/QUOTE]

Thnx for the info. I guess it didn't make as much sense when I was in the middle of a game trying to quickly figure out if I should switch to those things.

But what about Magnum rounds? Is it essentially 'Stopping Power'?

[quote name='Puffa469']Thnx for the info. I guess it didn't make as much sense when I was in the middle of a game trying to quickly figure out if I should switch to those things.

But what about Magnum rounds? Is it essentially 'Stopping Power'?[/QUOTE]

I haven't unlocked them yet. Can't say.

[quote name='doodle777_98']I've been doing a number with the Mines. They are great on rush when you are defending. I must have gotten tons of kills from that last night. I'm surprise most people don't use them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, having a tank run over mines near a flagpole gets crazy points. Vehicle damage, destruction, enemy kill (x however many in the vehicle), flag defense, and so on.

[quote name='Puffa469']I think it was a mistake not to have medpacks, Defib, and Engy repair tool unlocked from the start. Those classes are useless without those things.

I felt like a tool when I was starting out as medic, not dropping health packs, not reviving teamates, etc.[/QUOTE]

Ammo boxes, Med kits and the defib were all unlocked for me from the beginning. Don't know if it was because of the demo or just a glitch. My friends all had the same thing. It still says you unlocked the med pack or whatever when your leveling up but as I said I've always had them.

Hit a helicopter from B to the other teams spawn last night on Atacama Desert and killed it. Such a cool shot

[quote name='Puffa469']Thnx for the info. I guess it didn't make as much sense when I was in the middle of a game trying to quickly figure out if I should switch to those things.

But what about Magnum rounds? Is it essentially 'Stopping Power'?[/QUOTE]

This is how I see them. I just got it. With it off, it takes 4-5 body shots to drop someone. With Magnum rounds, it took me 2 body shots to drop someone. I have been using it ever since.

Is it just me or is the engineer terrible in comparison to the other classes?

[quote name='lordopus99']Is it just me or is the engineer terrible in comparison to the other classes?[/QUOTE]

Best pro/anti vehicle class in the game.

[quote name='HydroX']Once you unlock the defib, playing a medic sure does rank you up hella fast.[/QUOTE]

Probably 99% of my 15 or so hours playing time has been only Medic and I'm around rank 13. Don't think I've unlocked a single item for the other classes. Doh.

[quote name='slickkill77']Ammo boxes, Med kits and the defib were all unlocked for me from the beginning. Don't know if it was because of the demo or just a glitch. My friends all had the same thing. It still says you unlocked the med pack or whatever when your leveling up but as I said I've always had them. [/QUOTE]

Could be from the demo. I know my dogtags carried over from the demo, but my knife kills were reset in regards to getting the badge for 200 knife kills. Right now I have over 250 sets of tags, but only like 50 of those are counting towards my knife badge.

I played almost exclusively Assault in the demo, but I can't remember now if I had ammo box right from the start with the retail game.

But for sure I had to level up to get Medpac, Defib and Repair tool. It was a few thousand points for each one, so it took me a few games to get them.

I unlocked the AT mines this week, so I need move them into my rotation.

[quote name='lordopus99']This is how I see them. I just got it. With it off, it takes 4-5 body shots to drop someone. With Magnum rounds, it took me 2 body shots to drop someone. I have been using it ever since.

Is it just me or is the engineer terrible in comparison to the other classes?[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm gonna start using that tonight then. For some reason I was thinking that this only worked with pistols? I dunno.

Engy sucks at direct assault because the supressors on all his main guns turn them into bb guns. The Scar is a beastly assualt rifle in MW2, but in this game its a submachine gun?

You have to be clever when playing as Engy, stick near vehicles and repair, use the tracer gun and launchers to crush enemy vehicles, etc.

[quote name='Puffa469']Thanks! I'm gonna start using that tonight then. For some reason I was thinking that this only worked with pistols? I dunno.

Engy sucks at direct assault because the supressors on all his main guns turn them into bb guns. The Scar is a beastly assualt rifle in MW2, but in this game its a submachine gun?

You have to be clever when playing as Engy, stick near vehicles and repair, use the tracer gun and launchers to crush enemy vehicles, etc.[/QUOTE]

scar is a modular weapon. mw uses the full scar bf uses the scar l, there are a handfull of variations.

The MW2 $15 map pack has me checking out this game. I've heard many people say this is a teamwork based game compared to MW2. I really hate 90% of the idiots on Live talking shit into the mics so to enjoy this game do you need to have your mic on talking to the usual hateful morons that populate games? Or can you execute teamwork without the mic or is the general people in this game not as bad? Thanks.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']The MW2 $15 map pack has me checking out this game. I've heard many people say this is a teamwork based game compared to MW2. I really hate 90% of the idiots on Live talking shit into the mics so to enjoy this game do you need to have your mic on talking to the usual hateful morons that populate games? Or can you execute teamwork without the mic or is the general people in this game not as bad? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you play with randoms you will rarely hear anyone talk .. at all. It's like a calm summer day at the beach. With tanks.

[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']The MW2 $15 map pack has me checking out this game. I've heard many people say this is a teamwork based game compared to MW2. I really hate 90% of the idiots on Live talking shit into the mics so to enjoy this game do you need to have your mic on talking to the usual hateful morons that populate games? Or can you execute teamwork without the mic or is the general people in this game not as bad? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I wish more people would talk even if it was just random crap. I don't know many people with the game and the random pair ups no one speaks.

I'm pretty sure you can only talk to your squad, so if you're playing alone you wont be able to talk to anyone.

Having unlocked everything for all my classes I can honestly say Engineer does NOT suck. What I have put on all of my weapons regardless of class is Magnum Ammo and 4x Scope. This has me killing people in like 4~5 shots with any and every gun. The Submachine guns are especially good because they have no recoil compared to the assault rifles.

My opinion in most useful to least useful for me:

Medic
Engineer
Assault
Recon

Recon I was only able to max out because I used a Shotgun and the Thomspon for the most part, I never picked up a sniper. The only other fun thing was the C4 and maybe the Mortar strike. The fact that you can get C4 with Assault if you use a Shotgun might put it above Enginner. You can kill enemies from a decent range, blow up tanks and constantly refill your ammo. So it's pretty cool. Most of my experience comes in way of Deathmatch though so some things may be different.

[quote name='BL00DW0LF']I'm pretty sure you can only talk to your squad, so if you're playing alone you wont be able to talk to anyone.[/QUOTE]

I've always been added to a squad. Only time anyone has used their mic so far was one guy who was talking on the phone. I even ask now who has their mic on. If it wasn't for all the explosions, this would be the quietest online game I've ever played.

[quote name='whiptcracker']I've always been added to a squad. Only time anyone has used their mic so far was one guy who was talking on the phone. I even ask now who has their mic on. If it wasn't for all the explosions, this would be the quietest online game I've ever played.[/QUOTE]

True...I dont remember ever having any communication with a squad of random people, my brother and I were playing last night with two random guys to fill the squad and we were talking the whole time but neither of them made a sound the whole time.

I scored a whopping 4000 points in one round playing a "Ninja" Recon lol. Arm, C4, Blow up and get kills. It was great!! Apparently, I saw a gay glitch going on. Be a Recon, Have somebody fly the UAV with C4 into the crate, blow up C4 and rinse and repeat non stop. Was quite annoying really seeing as how they probably had a crap load of Recon. I guess it takes alot of team work but still.....Stupid I think.

[quote name='Vulcan2422'] I saw a gay glitch going on. Be a Recon, Have somebody fly the UAV with C4 into the crate, blow up C4 and rinse and repeat non stop. Was quite annoying really seeing as how they probably had a crap load of Recon. I guess it takes alot of team work but still.....Stupid I think.[/QUOTE]

Thats not a glitch, thats a valid tactic! lol

C4 on the UAV, C4 on a hummer, C4 on a helo.

C4, it goes with everything.

I got reeeal close to taking down a chopper with the UAV last night. I know it can be done, but I havent done it myself yet.

Lately I've been trying to focus on using kits on the ground to help me. I will pick up Assualt kit, drop an amoo crate, and then pick my kit back up. Same thing with medic kits to get a medpack or qucikly revive a teamate.

It's common sense, and it's in that how to play Battlefield video, but I did need to focus and rememeber to try and do it. Hopefully soon it will be second nature to me.

Was playing some last night and low and behold I kill CheapyD and some other users using CAG as their clan tag. Pretty cool to randomly be dropped into a match w/ some CAGs. =]

[quote name='Puffa469']Thats not a glitch, thats a valid tactic! lol

I got reeeal close to taking down a chopper with the UAV last night. I know it can be done, but I havent done it myself yet.

Lately I've been trying to focus on using kits on the ground to help me. I will pick up Assualt kit, drop an amoo crate, and then pick my kit back up. Same thing with medic kits to get a medpack or qucikly revive a teamate.

It's common sense, and it's in that how to play Battlefield video, but I did need to focus and rememeber to try and do it. Hopefully soon it will be second nature to me.[/QUOTE]

That's some awesome shit. I am going to have to try it.

With the whole UAV bombing thing, it's not too hard to avoid once you actually realize what's going on. If you hit the C4 with bullets, it will blow up all the c4 attached to the UAV. And I'll admit to doing it when I'm stuck on a team of people who don't know what "Attackers" means.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I scored a whopping 4000 points in one round playing a "Ninja" Recon lol. Arm, C4, Blow up and get kills. It was great!! Apparently, I saw a gay glitch going on. Be a Recon, Have somebody fly the UAV with C4 into the crate, blow up C4 and rinse and repeat non stop. Was quite annoying really seeing as how they probably had a crap load of Recon. I guess it takes alot of team work but still.....Stupid I think.[/QUOTE]

That may be a balancing issue, but it doesn't sound like a glitch. Once you realize what they're doing it shouldn't be too hard to look out for the UAV. They blow up easy C4 or not, and blowing one up nets you 100 vehicle destruction points. If they spam it, you should have an amazing XP net gain at the end. Otherwise if you know the location of the UAV is then keep taking the person out. It should persuade them to stop doing so if they keep dying.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Otherwise if you know the location of the UAV is then keep taking the person out. It should persuade them to stop doing so if they keep dying.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I was playing on the map Isle whatever, and someone sniped me while I was on the UAV, from the Kill cam I could tell he/she was way back on the Island the defenders start on.

I was annoyed but impressed with the shot.

[quote name='notwen']Was playing some last night and low and behold I kill CheapyD and some other users using CAG as their clan tag. Pretty cool to randomly be dropped into a match w/ some CAGs. =][/QUOTE]

If it was between 9-11pm Est, than it was probably with myself (AttackingMVP), DCriminal, AdmiralAckbar, Hamsterstrike, GOW Osiris, Khondor, Fleshribbon, and of course Cheapy. I have played with Cheapy twice now and he is damn good.

[quote name='mvp828']If it was between 9-11pm Est, than it was probably with myself (AttackingMVP), DCriminal, AdmiralAckbar, Hamsterstrike, GOW Osiris, Khondor, Fleshribbon, and of course Cheapy. I have played with Cheapy twice now and he is damn good.[/QUOTE]

How good is he? :D

One more day, looks like everybody is all about Perfect Dark. My self on the other hand, I am waiting for the DLC to drop. GIVE ME MY FREE DLC ALREADY!!

[quote name='whiptcracker']I wish more people would talk even if it was just random crap. I don't know many people with the game and the random pair ups no one speaks.[/QUOTE]

A lot of people are in parties. All my friends go straight into a party as soon as the get on even if it is just two of them. As soon as three more people join we'd be forced to go into a party anyways, so we just start there. I think there would be a lot more people talking if the squad size was larger.

[quote name='Puffa469']Thats not a glitch, thats a valid tactic! lol

It's common sense, and it's in that how to play Battlefield video, but I did need to focus and rememeber to try and do it. Hopefully soon it will be second nature to me.[/QUOTE]

I tried picking up a medic kit to defib my squadmate and the kit had no defib!!! Next thing I know I'm down for the count.

I try to pickup kits to use gadgets and drop them for my original kit, but in rarely works out as nice as that vid.

[quote name='Gamer SDP']how much does vip code go for? might pick up a used copy down the line[/QUOTE]

I've seen a CAG or two selling them in the trading forum for $5.

[quote name='reddjoey']I tried picking up a medic kit to defib my squadmate and the kit had no defib!!! Next thing I know I'm down for the count.

I try to pickup kits to use gadgets and drop them for my original kit, but in rarely works out as nice as that vid.[/QUOTE]

Ya know that may be correct. I'm not 100% certain I defibbed someone with a kit i picked up, but I definitely have dropped medkits and ammo boxes.

[quote name='menikmati']I should be getting my copy tomorrow. Any CAGs that want to play (I have a mic) please send me a FR.[/QUOTE]

Your on my List! already!!

Anyone ever been playing this online, then randomly get returned to the Dashboard without warning? Wasn't disconnected from Live, so idk whats up.

Cant say that's ever happened to me Yamato. But what I can say is that this game is sweet and anyone who wants to play just send me a fr. (also yes i have a mic)

[quote name='Yamato']Anyone ever been playing this online, then randomly get returned to the Dashboard without warning? Wasn't disconnected from Live, so idk whats up.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, happened to me twice tonight. Also noticed some major screen tearing on the one sand map, and only on that map. It was really odd...

I think I hit a breakthrough tonight - I was MUCH more patient, and enjoyed the game more than I have before. Played way better for a few games...

This has probably been asked before, but when is the Dr. Pepper shit going live? I've got 4 caps sitting here waiting patiently...It's technically the 18th...

I'd like to play with some CAGs too, but I still need to learn more about how to play..like how to fly the chopper, for instance :p

EDIT: And thanks for your feedback on that, Ronin. I've been busy lately but any other players who feel too much like a noob to play with some of the bigger players here, feel free to hit me up. We can learn the ropes and get a better feel for it without having to worry about sucking.

Mos def - just one thing - I never worry about if I suck or not. I'm 20-4 one game, 2-13 the next. fuck it, you know? As long as I'm having fun...if someone thinks I'm shitty or not good enough to play with them or their group, then they really weren't worth playing with in the first place. That's my outlook.

[quote name='Ronin317']Yeah, happened to me twice tonight. Also noticed some major screen tearing on the one sand map, and only on that map. It was really odd...

I think I hit a breakthrough tonight - I was MUCH more patient, and enjoyed the game more than I have before. Played way better for a few games...

This has probably been asked before, but when is the Dr. Pepper shit going live? I've got 4 caps sitting here waiting patiently...It's technically the 18th...[/QUOTE]

Today IIRC, and I believe you need one more cap to complete the kit ;)

[quote name='Yamato']Anyone ever been playing this online, then randomly get returned to the Dashboard without warning? Wasn't disconnected from Live, so idk whats up.[/QUOTE]

This has happened to me a few times, and it happened last night once.

It's not in the middle of a game that I get kicked, but when I'm first about to get into a game. I'll be on the screen where it says 'YES! Put me in a Squad' waiting for the map to load. The screen will go black, and I'll be dumped back to the dashboard. And I was only kicked from the game, I was still logged into Live.

Another time last night I was kicked mid game and out of Live, but I blamed that one on my router or connection, not the game.

bread's done
Back