Battlefield Bad Company 2; Vietnam (1200 points) out; plus 4 new free maps

[quote name='GenPirate']Last time I played that happened to me. Normally I am going rambo with a sniper somewhere in the woods invisible to the naked eye blowing heads apart with the Magnum Sniper rifle. But that day I could not catch a break, no matter what class I went or where I spawned I got picked off almost every 30 seconds.[/QUOTE]

That's because there are people like me who play only to hunt snipers :)

[quote name='HydroX']Ah, I had heard today was the day and didn't read the twitter update on the official BFBC2 twitter account.

"My bad."

Here's hoping the map packs come out on the 30th as promised.[/QUOTE]

No worries! ;)

After re-reading my last post, I came off a little harsh. It wasn't directed at you by any means. We have been promised this DLC for weeks now and there's still no word on when it will be available. :bomb:

Maybe I havent been playing as much as everyone else, but I have yet to run into many of the issues that people have been experiencing. My sound went out 1 time last week, which required a restart. The weird thing is, it happened when I was shooting at someone and they were shooting at me, and we both died. Next thing I know, it starts going all slow-mo on me, twitches a couple of times, and then no sound. :whistle2:k

I might have talked my friend into getting it too. He's a huge COD player (as we all were before the apocalypse knows as MW2 arrived) and he experienced the newly found semtex glitch in a few games yesterday. He got ticked off at it and went to 3 Blockbusters in town and none of them had BFBC2 in stock. So he figured, it must be a good enough game if no one in town has it. Hopefully he'll pick it up tonight and we can finally get some quality gaming in! :applause:

After more games in Rush, I think it has grown on me. The only thing I wished was that everyone on your team could hear your mic and vise versa.

So last night was a total lag fest for me. I kept having to quit out of games because they were unplayable. I would get into a game, go 0-5 or so before I realized the lag was not going to improve, and then quit out.

After I did this about 3-4 times, a message popped up on my screen saying I was being demoted to zero skill level cos I suck, and I need to get back into Battlefield and play.

I lol'd but I was also thinking, fuck you! If your shit servers worked I wouldnt be 0-20 tonight and quit out of 5 games.

Last night was a mixed bag for me. At times it was like I was unstoppable and at other times it was like I couldn't kill anyone from any range. I believe the last part was due to fatigue, but still. I was trying to finally get the defibs for the medic (now you know how much I've been able to play since launch) and managed to get them in my last game. A few notes...

*I'm starting to see some great teams who play a great team game for a change. I think everyone has been feeling out their own style and what role they fit into a squad since launch and now people are getting it. It sucks to play against a team in Rush who goes after the crates and absolutely destroys your team simply because they are playing as a functional unit. It rocks to be on one of these teams cause you can see who knows what to do and who hasn't figured out that this isn't MW2.

*Sniping has come down a lot. I used to see 5-6 snipers per team. Now, I'll see 2-3 depending on the map and how the team is doing.

*I keep being put games against guys who are 20+ levels above me. Is that normal?

Ever since the "new servers" were put into place I've had nothing but connection problems. Last night when I played with some CAGs was probably the first time in the past week that I haven't been disconnected, randomly thrown back to the main menu, or the game would just flat out freeze my 360.

Not to mention I have sucked balls recently, that is until I unlocked the M14. Holy hell, that gun is a BEAST.

[quote name='Pck21']Last night was a mixed bag for me. At times it was like I was unstoppable and at other times it was like I couldn't kill anyone from any range. I believe the last part was due to fatigue, but still. I was trying to finally get the defibs for the medic (now you know how much I've been able to play since launch) and managed to get them in my last game. A few notes...

*I'm starting to see some great teams who play a great team game for a change. I think everyone has been feeling out their own style and what role they fit into a squad since launch and now people are getting it. It sucks to play against a team in Rush who goes after the crates and absolutely destroys your team simply because they are playing as a functional unit. It rocks to be on one of these teams cause you can see who knows what to do and who hasn't figured out that this isn't MW2.[/quote]

I saw the same thing the other day. People are starting to really play their roles now. It's great when your on that team that is doing so. Not so good when the rest of the defenders are running away from the M-COM stations.

D-fib is awesome.

*Sniping has come down a lot. I used to see 5-6 snipers per team. Now, I'll see 2-3 depending on the map and how the team is doing.

Yep. I was on a team that was nearly all medics as attackers. It was great if only because the 75 tickets lasted a lot longer as people kept getting revived.

*I keep being put games against guys who are 20+ levels above me. Is that normal?

I always see at least 1-2 in every games I've played.

I don't think the matchmaking takes Rank or Skill level into account.

Im level 20 or so and I always see single digit level players in every game I play.

Then again I rarely see people higher ranked than me. I'll see one or two people per game in the high 20's or low 30's. I dont think I've ever seen anyone higher than 34 or so. And I only have 3 sets of Silver dogtags, and no gold.

Maybe theres a cutoff level where all lower get put into a game and all higher go to other servers?

I did get a message from the game a couple of levels ago saying something about they have no more unlocks to give me and I will now be ranked among Battlefield officers or something.

[quote name='HydroX']Ever since the "new servers" were put into place I've had nothing but connection problems. Last night when I played with some CAGs was probably the first time in the past week that I haven't been disconnected, randomly thrown back to the main menu, or the game would just flat out freeze my 360.

Not to mention I have sucked balls recently, that is until I unlocked the M14. Holy hell, that gun is a BEAST.[/QUOTE]

Wait till you get the G3

So last night I had a blast again. I was able to play with a great team and on a great squad. One guy was a medic, one guy was assault, and I was a sniper. We helped each other by revives, ammo, and I was the guy picking off other snipers and allowing my squad to get back into the match quickly with squad respawns. We were the top 3 in two games where we absolutely destroyed the other team. The only thing we didn't have in our squad was an anti-tank person. However, our team picked us up on that by having multiple people switch over to engineer and played defense the entire game. They got the first 2 crates and that was it. We held them at that choke point the rest of the time and they were only able to place a charge on one of them...for like 5 seconds before it was disarmed lol. Now that was fun!

It looks like I will be playing this more than any other game so if anyone wants to add me, I will gladly accept. I play Sunday-Thursday at night.

[quote name='StrongBad18']I can't connect to the EA servers even though I'm logged into Xbox live. I've been trying for over an hour and it just won't do it.[/QUOTE]

Things to try to remedy the situation:

- Restart your xbox.
- Reset your router.
- Go back to Dashboard, then retry.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you other than EA servers may be wonky (or wonkier than usual) for the time being.

Not to be over-the-top vulgar, but man is the M16 rape city or what? I was messing around in Atacama Desert and attempted to steal the opposition's chopper on foot and just absolutely destroyed their team in their own spawn. Ended up killing about 7-8 of them before finally making off with their Apache.

[quote name='HydroX']Things to try to remedy the situation:

- Restart your xbox.
- Reset your router.
- Go back to Dashboard, then retry.

If that doesn't work, I don't know what to tell you other than EA servers may be wonky (or wonkier than usual) for the time being.[/QUOTE]

I've also looked at my recent players and joined a game through that. Most of the time this never fails if the servers won't let you join on your own.

I wish there was no achievement for online demolish kills. I played in a rush game where a guy on my team (defenders) C4'd the walls of a m-com station house (with roof), just so he could take it down and demolish kill someone when they were arming it. I hate to say it but I have seen this more than once. I just leave these games when seeing it happen. Also, I wish more people would actually defend the base vs trying to go up to the attackers spawn for kills, leaving the base wide open. Sorry for my rant I just see these two things way too common.

Got up to around rank 8 last night, had some good fun. Finally learned how to use the starting Engineer gun, I burn through those 20 bullets so fast.

Just unlocked the XM8 for Assault, loving that gun so far with the M1911.

Well provided the servers are working our site (xcast) has a community playdate on the dashboard in the community channel) for next wendsday so those who really like the game should come and hang out with us during it.

[quote name='lordopus99']I wish there was no achievement for online demolish kills. I played in a rush game where a guy on my team (defenders) C4'd the walls of a m-com station house (with roof), just so he could take it down and demolish kill someone when they were arming it. I hate to say it but I have seen this more than once. I just leave these games when seeing it happen. Also, I wish more people would actually defend the base vs trying to go up to the attackers spawn for kills, leaving the base wide open. Sorry for my rant I just see these two things way too common.[/QUOTE]

There are C4 kills and Destruction 2.0 kills, with an achievement for Destruction 2.0 kills. Bringing the roof down on an MCOM station you're defending is retarded. I will sometimes throw a C4 near the station and blow it if I see it armed so I can hopefully take the guy out and disarm it without worrying about who is around.

No one seems to stick around the base and it's annoying. Or they'll watch the station from a sniper perch as recon and not disarm the bomb. Last night I had guys in my squad as recon with sniper rifles rushing the MCOM stations.

I gotta practice more with the tracer dart gun, I can never seem to hit a chopper with one, and someone good with a heli can really destroy the other team.

[quote name='lordopus99']I wish there was no achievement for online demolish kills. I played in a rush game where a guy on my team (defenders) C4'd the walls of a m-com station house (with roof), just so he could take it down and demolish kill someone when they were arming it. I hate to say it but I have seen this more than once. I just leave these games when seeing it happen. Also, I wish more people would actually defend the base vs trying to go up to the attackers spawn for kills, leaving the base wide open. Sorry for my rant I just see these two things way too common.[/QUOTE]

There should NEVER be achievements tied to online play unless they are simple things like 'Play online for 5 days'.

Anything else and you get online achievement hunters. Instead of playing the game to win, and to help their team, they are playing to get a hundred knife kills, or whatever stupid achievement they are going after.

There's already enough people wasting time waiting for the UAV or Helicopter, there shouldn't be achievements that encourage this type of behaviour.

Note that I'm not sure what the actual online achievements are for this game, I just know that there are some. So I may be off on some of my above examples.

[quote name='Puffa469']Note that I'm not sure what the actual online achievements are for this game, I just know that there are some. So I may be off on some of my above examples.[/QUOTE]

Headshot with the Repair Tool
Roadkill with the Helicopter
Get one kill with the M60, RPG-7, & Knife each in a single round
Get 20 kills via building destrution
Destroy a heli with an RPG turret
Knife 5 friends (Hardcore-only)

Last edited by a moderator:
The roadkill with heli is one that I don't get. I mean people are bad enough with flying the helicoptor without encouraging people to run it into the ground. Though I heard this can be done with the UAV.

[quote name='whiptcracker']The roadkill with heli is one that I don't get. I mean people are bad enough with flying the helicoptor without encouraging people to run it into the ground. Though I heard this can be done with the UAV.[/QUOTE]

Yes it can, thats how I got it.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Last night I had guys in my squad as recon with sniper rifles rushing the MCOM stations. [/QUOTE]

Are you sure they are rocking a sniper rifle? I have seen a huge influx of people playing as recon rocking a shotgun or the G3... me included sometimes. You make it in, armed the m-com and throw down a motion tracker. Shotgun them as the come in.

[quote name='lordopus99']Are you sure they are rocking a sniper rifle? I have seen a huge influx of people playing as recon rocking a shotgun or the G3... me included sometimes. You make it in, armed the m-com and throw down a motion tracker. Shotgun them as the come in.[/QUOTE]

Nope, this was a sniper rilfe for sure (long barrel, leaves a streak in the air for a second after one shot). Guy didn't even switch to a pistol. Whole team was like that. Nothing like on defense seeing teammates staying in a position and sniping when an MCOM is armed.

[quote name='Draekon']Headshot with the Repair Tool
Roadkill with the Helicopter
Get one kill with the M60, RPG-7, & Knife each in a single round
Get 20 kills via building destrution
Destroy a heli with an RPG turret
Knife 5 friends (Hardcore-only)[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I'm talking about. If your teams Engy's are running around trying to drill holes in peoples heads, thats not beneficial to your team.

I've actually seen people squash enemies with the blackhawk, I was amazed when I saw it, didn't realize it was an achievement.

The Hardcore teamkilling one is just outrageous. I never thought I'd see an achievement for online team killing. Is that what the Swedish consider a joke?

[quote name='Puffa469']This is exactly what I'm talking about. If your teams Engy's are running around trying to drill holes in peoples heads, thats not beneficial to your team.[/QUOTE]

Depends if they're running around with it all the time or using it as a knife alternative. I've been drilled to death by sneaky opponents.

Waaaaaait a minute - you can get the friend-knifey achievement by playing hardcore mode and TKing? That's fucked up.

...and also a lot easier for me to pull off. Cough.

I've been slacking on this game for a few days and playing MW2, mostly because of the screenname hack novelty value (since I had the hard drive transfer cable laying around). Now that that the fun has worn off that I'll be coming back soon. If anything, I may be giving up MW2 for good once that ridiculous map pack is out. Glad to hear some people saying the sniper count appears to have gone down a little.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Waaaaaait a minute - you can get the friend-knifey achievement by playing hardcore mode and TKing? That's fucked up.
[/QUOTE]

No, im not sure if doing it that way would get you the achievement at all...join a friends game, hope to be on the other team and knife him/her...you can knife the same friend 5 times or 5 different friends it doesnt matter

[quote name='whiptcracker']
No one seems to stick around the base and it's annoying. Or they'll watch the station from a sniper perch as recon and not disarm the bomb. [/QUOTE]
Agreed, I always find saying, "Am I the only one who hears the alarm and cares?"

[quote name='Puffa469']There should NEVER be achievements tied to online play unless they are simple things like 'Play online for 5 days'.

Anything else and you get online achievement hunters. Instead of playing the game to win, and to help their team, they are playing to get a hundred knife kills, or whatever stupid achievement they are going after.

There's already enough people wasting time waiting for the UAV or Helicopter, there shouldn't be achievements that encourage this type of behaviour.

Note that I'm not sure what the actual online achievements are for this game, I just know that there are some. So I may be off on some of my above examples.[/QUOTE]

Puffa, I agree mostly. Some of those: do x (on y map / with y vehicle) create games of people not playing right. I also hate achievement that are tied to certain playlists only (Halo 3). However, I do enjoy achievements that encourage you to do something different once or twice that doesn't change the game hugely (like the engineer tool headshot, or switching weapons).

I think the best multiplayer achievement are ones that are: rewarding spending time with the MP, ones that are a good mix of skill and/or dumb luck (but not too much like that pesky Halo 3 2-man Laser kill one I can never get) and trying different/new stuff.

[quote name='Draekon']
Knife 5 friends (Hardcore-only)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='BL00DW0LF']you can knife the same friend 5 times or 5 different friends it doesnt matter[/QUOTE]

You just need to get 5 friends dogtags. I'd imagine betraying your friends in hardcore would be the fastest way. I don't have it but, I imagine that would work.

I've actually started charging the MCOM stations more as a recon, so I'm not surprised to hear someone say they ran into someone doing that. If you throw a red dot sight on the Type 88, SVU, or VSS, they can function pretty as semi-auto assault rifles. The VSS is especially good at that kind of use since it functions pretty much like an smg. I think I actually win shootouts most of the time because sniper rifles do more damage per bullet which gives me the edge against someone using an assault rifle or something else (this could just be an incorrect assumption though). If you use motion mines generously too, you'll know if you're about to get near some people and also rack up lots of motion mine assists. After that, throw on C4 for bomb site destructions or mortar for support purposes (like dropping it while a bomb is armed to kill people defusing). Overall, I say it's a mighty effective support role, and it's quickly becoming my favorite set up to play with.

Edit: Looked at the weapon chart posted a long time ago, and it does show that the semi-auto snipers do more damage. The VSS does 20-25 damage, where as SMGs like the SCAR have a range of 12.5-20 damage. In fact, there are only four rifles that even have the same damage as the VSS, and three of those are the semi-auto rifles (M14, etc.), and the other being the M60. I'd say that's a pretty strong incentive to use those snipers as assault rifles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man..I'm not getting to play this game enough. Can't wait to get some time to really sit down and play this for a whole weekend.

How do I keep getting 1 shotted by the Saiga - seems like a good gun, but how long does it take to get the slug ammo?

[quote name='xtreme_Zr2']How do I keep getting 1 shotted by the Saiga - seems like a good gun, but how long does it take to get the slug ammo?[/QUOTE]

The shotgun ammo if I remember correctly, reduces the damage but makes it more accurate by concentrating the pellet spread of the ammo. However I've been one-shot from 50+ feet by shutguns (almost always SAIGA) quite frequently.

Yup, a Shotgun with 12 gauge slugs is essentially a scope-less sniper rifle- Perfect accuracy when ADS and very little, if any, bullet drop.

[quote name='moojuice']Yup, a Shotgun with 12 gauge slugs is essentially a scope-less sniper rifle- Perfect accuracy when ADS and very little, if any, bullet drop.[/QUOTE]
The Neostead would like to disagree. I had 12g slugs and magnum rounds on this morning and it couldn't hit anything.

[quote name='reddjoey']

You just need to get 5 friends dogtags. I'd imagine betraying your friends in hardcore would be the fastest way. I don't have it but, I imagine that would work.[/QUOTE]

You can not stab your own teammates in hardcore.

My gosh, some people still don't pay attention to what's going on around them when they play. I spent three or four straight minutes in my last game finding assault people and yelling, "I NEED AMMO" because I had two pistol clips and two C4 charges left, and not a single person stopped to even drop a box, including the guy on my squad.

Love this game, but today I have been having some major issues with the server crashing on me and giving me spurts of terrible lag. Other than that issue, I love the game.

Yeah I was hit by some terrible lag last night, very annoying, but I was on fire so I didn't want to quit out of the games and lose any points.

[quote name='Schmackledorf']My gosh, some people still don't pay attention to what's going on around them when they play. I spent three or four straight minutes in my last game finding assault people and yelling, "I NEED AMMO" because I had two pistol clips and two C4 charges left, and not a single person stopped to even drop a box, including the guy on my squad.[/QUOTE]

I finally found some guys using their mics and I've played with them a few times now and it makes a huge difference when your team actually works together. I said I needed ammo and this guy ran from a few houses away on the map and gave me some. If you need someone on your squad and I'm online just hit me up, I'm not the best player at all but I do support my squad.

bread's done
Back