Bayonetta 2 (Wii U) $59.99 + $10 Gift Card @NEWEGG [Pre Order]

Release date of 05/06/14???  I thought this was unannounced and likely to ship this holiday.  Not that I would complain... I am super excited for this one, but I doubt we are getting it in May.

Why do people keep thinking MK8 is going to save the system?
This is why:

software.jpg

Mario Kart Wii is the 5th best-selling videogame of ALL TIME, and the 3rd best-selling videogame of all time if you knock that list down to single-platform releases. (Removing Tetris which has been on every platform imaginable, along with Minecraft.)

Mario Kart is also one of the best-selling franchises ever, which itself is a sub-franchise of THE best-selling franchise ever (The Mario brand.)

I'm not saying that it'll "save" the system, because that's a silly phrase, but it should sell quite a few copies.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is why:

software.jpg

Mario Kart Wii is the 5th best-selling videogame of ALL TIME, and the 3rd best-selling videogame of all time if you knock that list down to single-platform releases. (Removing Tetris which has been on every platform imaginable, along with Minecraft.)

Mario Kart is also one of the best-selling franchises ever, which itself is a sub-franchise of THE best-selling franchise ever (The Mario brand.)

I'm not saying that it'll "save" the system, because that's a silly phrase, but it should sell quite a few copies.
I think it will help but it won't be enough. The Wii had a massive install base. Meanwhile the GameCube had a ~22 million install base and only sold ~7 million Mario Kart Double Dash.

The Wii sold about 100 million consoles and around 34 million copies of Mario Kart Wii.

So if you look at those stats, you can safely assume that Mario Kart 8 will sell to 1/3 the Wii U install base. That number is currently ~6 million. Assuming that Mario Kart 8 sells 2 million consoles (high estimate) then it would have an 8 million install base and sell 2.5-3 million copies of Mario Kart 8. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it pushes half a million to a million consoles but honestly, it would be tough for Mario Kart 8 to push 2 million because most people that want Nintendo games already have a Wii U. How many people are holding off for *just* MK8?

This is pretty much it for the Wii U. They don't have anything else like Mario Kart. If this doesn't set the world on fire and really get the Wii U sales ball rolling then they're done. It's their "magic bullet" but it's also their last bullet. Unless you think Zelda U (which hasn't even been announced and may not be out for years) is going to do something that MK8 can't.

I think that the concept that any console needs a "single system seller" to suddenly sell a bunch of units is a falsity anyway.

The PS3 was in a major slump for a long time and only through a combination of price drops, rebranding, and a bunch of great games did the sales pick up. No one single game did it.

Meanwhile the PS4 came out the gate at a full sprint with no real "system seller" game to push it.

I think that the concept that any console needs a "single system seller" to suddenly sell a bunch of units is a falsity anyway.

The PS3 was in a major slump for a long time and only through a combination of price drops, rebranding, and a bunch of great games did the sales pick up. No one single game did it.

Meanwhile the PS4 came out the gate at a full sprint with no real "system seller" game to push it.
Sony's marketing dept deserves a pay raise this round.

This is why:

software.jpg

Ah, I follow what you are saying. And I didn't think of it like that. But honestly I'm still not convinced.

I know this may not mean much to many people here, but I remember the hype for Mario Kart Wii very well. It didn't reach SSBB levels, but a lot of people were very excited for the game, and that's not something I've seen with Mario Kart 8. Outside of NintendoLife and GoNintendo, I don't see any hype for this game whatsoever. I sure as hell don't see it IRL even though Mario Kart Wii was all we talked about a month before it came out.

Nintendo's marketing may be partially to blame for that, but I still say that it feels like a very cheap effort by Nintendo, as if they are pushing to get this out as if it's going to save WiiU. The reality is the Gamepad brings nothing to the table (or at least nothing the 3DS didn't do), there's no peripheral like the Wii Wheel (say what you want but that add-on was ingenious for roping in the more casual audience), and most of all this game really brings nothing significantly new to the table. If it were, surely they'd have advertised it by now? I still maintain hope that we will be getting top notch tracks that will blow everything before out of the water and change the way we play MK forever. But honestly, I don't see that happening. Either way we will wait and see, but I'll be floored if this game moves even a tenth of what Mario Kart Wii did.

Last edited:
Too little too late? I think the Wii U is doomed. 

EDIT :  At least doomed in the sense the Gamecube was. 

bread's done
Back