BB - Blu-ray Two-Packs: $12.99

First thing I saw:

Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men - Fullscreen Subtitle
SKU: 9741091
Format: Blu-ray Disc
Rating: PG-13
Release Date: 2/23/2010

Wtf?

Also, is there any way to tell if these are 2 in the same box or the separate cases? I can't stand having the movies in the same case since I can't put them in alphabetical order... OCD, I know.

From the looks of it, the majority will probably be in one case. I bought Thirteen Ghosts/House of Wax a few months ago and it was in one single case.

The House of 1,000 Corpses/The Devil's Rejects two-pack is a great deal. Too bad I already ordered it from Amazon for $14.99. But with tax and shipping/gas I think I came out even.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ssjmichael']What are you confused about exactly?[/QUOTE]

I think the confusion is why is a movie in blu ray full screen.

[quote name='Slappybob']I think the confusion is why is a movie in blu ray full screen.[/QUOTE]

I don't see what one has to do with the other...

[quote name='Slappybob']I think the confusion is why is a movie in blu ray full screen.[/QUOTE]

it's not, best buy fucked up the description (which is par for the course when it comes to blu-ray listings)

Some of these are two separate blu-rays in their own packaging.

For example the Groundhog Day one, which I am picking up when it drops to $10.

[quote name='blindinglights']First thing I saw:
Wtf?
Also, is there any way to tell if these are 2 in the same box or the separate cases? I can't stand having the movies in the same case since I can't put them in alphabetical order... OCD, I know.[/QUOTE]

I have this and both movies are on one blu ray disc.

It's hard to find combos that have two good movies, or that I want both of. I guess I could always Goozex trade the one I don't want, because $12.99 is still not bad for only one BD for some of those titles.

I'd like that Timecop/Bloodsport combo pack. Ultimate cheese, but those old Van Damme movies were entertaining. Those are probably his two best films, too.

[quote name='rockstarnati']Might have to add Enforcer and Sudden Impact to the collection. I got the Dirty Harry/Magnum Force one when it was on sale last year.[/QUOTE]

Weren't these selling for $10 not very long ago?

As for the other titles, is there a way to look up if the 2 movies come on separate discs and which has both movies on one disc?

[quote name='consoleman']Weren't these selling for $10 not very long ago?

As for the other titles, is there a way to look up if the 2 movies come on separate discs and which has both movies on one disc?[/QUOTE]

Many on the list indicate "2 discs". Other than that, you could check amazon for the same product, they're usually more accurate with the number of discs included.

Thanks, I just noticed the '2-discs' in some of the descriptions just like you said. Still debating whether to order some now or wait till thee go to $10 which I'm sure they eventually will.

[quote name='consoleman']Thanks, I just noticed the '2-discs' in some of the descriptions just like you said. Still debating whether to order some now or wait till thee go to $10 which I'm sure they eventually will.[/QUOTE]

I'd say wait for $10 ;P

After looking at the list what makes some of these Best Buy "exclusives"? Just the fact that Best Buy is the only retailer to carry these two-packs?

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']Would love to Amazon price match some of these...[/QUOTE]

Amazon has obliged, at least for the ones they also carry in stock.

[quote name='consoleman']Still debating whether to order some now or wait till thee go to $10 which I'm sure they eventually will.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. I purchased a couple of the two-disc sets the last time they had them on sale (back around Halloween) for $14.99 each (the Run Lola Run/La Femme Nikita and Silent Hill/The Grudge sets). They haven't been on sale again since (they're not part of the sale this time), and while the local BB stores still have a few copies sitting around (at full price), it doesn't look like they're restocking them. Likewise, I haven't seen the Silence of the Lambs/Donnie Darko set that I bought a year before that in a long time since. My guess would be that these sets are put together as limited-time promotions, not as something that's going to hang around for a long time for a price drop.

Personally, I don't think that $6.50 a movie is too bad. I grabbed The Fifth Element/Gattaca set yesterday.

[quote name='arcane93']Good luck with that. I purchased a couple of the two-disc sets the last time they had them on sale (back around Halloween) for $14.99 each (the Run Lola Run/La Femme Nikita and Silent Hill/The Grudge sets). They haven't been on sale again since (they're not part of the sale this time), and while the local BB stores still have a few copies sitting around (at full price), it doesn't look like they're restocking them. Likewise, I haven't seen the Silence of the Lambs/Donnie Darko set that I bought a year before that in a long time since. My guess would be that these sets are put together as limited-time promotions, not as something that's going to hang around for a long time for a price drop.

Personally, I don't think that $6.50 a movie is too bad. I grabbed The Fifth Element/Gattaca set yesterday.[/QUOTE]$6.50 + tax for a movie on BD is about my blind-buy point, and both Gattaca and 5th Element are movies that look pretty good on BD.

My only worry with these two-packs is if they're two movies on a single 50GB disc or if they're two separate movies on two separate discs. Once you get past about 3 hours on a single disc when you have a reasonably high bitrate on the encode, you start taking the chances on compression artifacts. The Town is one example where both complete releases, theatrical and unrated, are on the same disc at over four hours of movie on a single 50GB disc. Some reviews have said there appears to be a bit of compression artifact issues with all the movie content on the disc.

[quote name='shrike4242']My only worry with these two-packs is if they're two movies on a single 50GB disc or if they're two separate movies on two separate discs.[/QUOTE]

I only buy the ones that are two separate discs (in two separate blu-ray cases) packaged together. Both for the question of quality that you bring up, and because I'm far too OCD about keeping my collection organized and alphabetized for those single packs to be any good -- having two movies in one case would mean that one of them isn't in its correct place on the shelf. :lol:

On the other hand, only having one movie on a disc doesn't necessarily mean anything -- a lot of movies (particularly older catalog/budget titles) get released on 25GB discs anyway. In those cases, putting two of them on a 50GB disc wouldn't make any difference in quality.

man, WTF is up with this deal!?! I went to a BB yesterday and today and they have a whole rack area dedicated to this sale, complete with $12.99 shelf tags and ZERO copies on the shelf! I asked an employee where the goods were and got a blank stare, so I moved on.

It's hard to tell whether these are on one disc or two. Some of the artwork indicates its a single package, not 2 cases bundled together. But then there are those like 5th Element and Gattaca that are confirmed elsewhere to be 2 separate cases..what's worse, is these could be flipper discs! With all the BD/DVD flippers popping up, wouldn't surprise me, unless its not possible for a BD/BD flipper..

[quote name='token2k6']It's hard to tell whether these are on one disc or two. Some of the artwork indicates its a single package, not 2 cases bundled together. But then there are those like 5th Element and Gattaca that are confirmed elsewhere to be 2 separate cases..what's worse, is these could be flipper discs![/QUOTE]

Some of them are single packages, some of them are two cases bundled together. It varies by title, so you pretty much just have to look at them in the store unless you can find confirmation elsewhere (so I wouldn't blindly order online if it matters to you). I couldn't tell you whether the single-case ones are one disc or two, as I haven't bought any of them.

I can tell you that The Fifth Element/Gattaca is two cases bundled together, but you know that one already. Don't specifically remember any of the others, as I wasn't that interested in any of them.

[quote name='token2k6']With all the BD/DVD flippers popping up, wouldn't surprise me, unless its not possible for a BD/BD flipper..[/QUOTE]

Um, wait, what? For what it's worth, I've never seen or heard of such a thing (couldn't tell you if it's possible or not), but that's a weird/nonsensical statement regardless (with all of them popping up . . . unless it's not possible?).

[quote name='arcane93']I only buy the ones that are two separate discs (in two separate blu-ray cases) packaged together. Both for the question of quality that you bring up, and because I'm far too OCD about keeping my collection organized and alphabetized for those single packs to be any good -- having two movies in one case would mean that one of them isn't in its correct place on the shelf. :lol:

On the other hand, only having one movie on a disc doesn't necessarily mean anything -- a lot of movies (particularly older catalog/budget titles) get released on 25GB discs anyway. In those cases, putting two of them on a 50GB disc wouldn't make any difference in quality.[/QUOTE]With two 25GB title movies on a single 50GB disc, it's not an issue, no.

There's probably a few packs I should look at picking up, though I guess I'll have to wait until I can make it to the store to decide on if they're two bundled movies or a single case or the like.

[quote name='token2k6']man, WTF is up with this deal!?! I went to a BB yesterday and today and they have a whole rack area dedicated to this sale, complete with $12.99 shelf tags and ZERO copies on the shelf! I asked an employee where the goods were and got a blank stare, so I moved on.

It's hard to tell whether these are on one disc or two. Some of the artwork indicates its a single package, not 2 cases bundled together. But then there are those like 5th Element and Gattaca that are confirmed elsewhere to be 2 separate cases..what's worse, is these could be flipper discs! With all the BD/DVD flippers popping up, wouldn't surprise me, unless its not possible for a BD/BD flipper..[/QUOTE]I'd rely on in-store pickup inventory to give you an idea on what's available in-store and proceed from there. You can always return what's not to your liking, which is what I'd probably do.

[quote name='arcane93']Some of them are single packages, some of them are two cases bundled together. It varies by title, so you pretty much just have to look at them in the store unless you can find confirmation elsewhere (so I wouldn't blindly order online if it matters to you). I couldn't tell you whether the single-case ones are one disc or two, as I haven't bought any of them.

Um, wait, what? For what it's worth, I've never seen or heard of such a thing (couldn't tell you if it's possible or not), but that's a weird/nonsensical statement regardless (with all of them popping up . . . unless it's not possible?).[/QUOTE]The single-disc releases of the Bourne trilogy movies (Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum) are BD/DVD flipper discs, with the BluRay on one side and the DVD on the other side. Just like what HD-DVD used to do on some titles. Makes no sense to me with a BluRay movie to put a DVD disc on the other side, since DVDs are so cheap to manufacture these days.

See below:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bourne-Identity-Blu-ray/8305/#Review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bourne-Supremacy-Blu-ray/8306/#Review
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Bourne-Ultimatum-Blu-ray/8304/#Review

[quote name='shrike4242']With two 25GB title movies on a single 50GB disc, it's not an issue, no.[/QUOTE]

If you're concerned, you could always look them up -- I know that the listings on blu-ray.com generally include whether releases are on 25GB or 50GB discs. If the individual releases of both films are on 25GB discs, then the 50GB double feature disc wouldn't be an issue, but if one or both of them are 50GB discs, then you probably want to stay away.

[quote name='shrike4242']The single-disc releases of the Bourne trilogy movies (Bourne Identity, Bourne Supremacy and Bourne Ultimatum) are BD/DVD flipper discs, with the BluRay on one side and the DVD on the other side.[/QUOTE]

Ugh, weird. Good to know, I'll avoid those (would probably just get the box set if I ever get those films anyway).

[quote name='mr_bungle']I'd like that Timecop/Bloodsport combo pack. Ultimate cheese, but those old Van Damme movies were entertaining. Those are probably his two best films, too.[/QUOTE]

Yeah one the biography of a fake martial artist (Frank Dux), but that makes a good film, and the other cheesy Sci-fi, but the reason I bought, young, hot Mia Sara....:drool: ;) in high def. :hot:

[quote name='arcane93']Um, wait, what? For what it's worth, I've never seen or heard of such a thing (couldn't tell you if it's possible or not), but that's a weird/nonsensical statement regardless (with all of them popping up . . . unless it's not possible?).[/QUOTE]

haha, no, I meant that recently there has been a surge in BD/DVD flippers. Like I was at Target and they had The Jackal and Hart's War cases with both 'BD/DVD on one disc' (I mean really, who wants those movies?!?) I was just stating the fact that maybe some of these with the 'line-slashed' artwork, like Analyze This/That could be a blu ray flipper with BD formats on EACH side (which to my knowledge, we haven't seen yet..). And I stated I didn't know if it was possible due to layering, or if it might make the disc a non-standard size (in terms of thickness) that players couldn't read..thats all, didn't mean to be nonsensical :lol:

I've heard people talk about these flipper disks before, but have never heard what the problem with them is. Is there some loss of quality involved, or is it more just a matter of not having that separate disk to use elsewhere or give to someone else or whatever?

[quote name='pandarus']I've heard people talk about these flipper disks before, but have never heard what the problem with them is. Is there some loss of quality involved, or is it more just a matter of not having that separate disk to use elsewhere or give to someone else or whatever?[/QUOTE]

Well on DVDs they are incredibly easy to scratch up. With blu-rays though, it shouldn't be an issue.

[quote name='mr_bungle']Well on DVDs they are incredibly easy to scratch up. With blu-rays though, it shouldn't be an issue.[/QUOTE]

On the BD/DVD flippers, does the DVD side have the scratch-proof coating as well, or is it only on the BD side?

bread's done
Back