BBC (Discovery HD) Life on Blu-ray: Is it region free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmysegadc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Just wondering if anyone knows if the UK version of Life (narrated by Sir David Attenborough -- I like Oprah but can't tolerate her voice on the doc:cry:) is a region-free Blu-ray or not (A, B, or C regions and not SD DVD numeric codes which doesn't apply to Blu-ray)? It can be had now from Amazon UK for about the same price shipped (after currency exchange rate) as the U.S. release that won't be available until July, so why wait?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Life-Blu-ray-David-Attenborough/dp/B002KSA4F6/ref=pd_sim_b_2

I've had a hard time finding info on the specs. As far as I can tell, it is region-free but will only play in a 50hz PAL format instead of 60hz NTSC. In other words, picture flicker -- something that I hope to avoid. Plus without the tech to play it, it would useless to own or loan out to a friend. I have a LG BD270 Blu-ray player (preferred player) and a HTPC with an LG HDDVD/Blu-ray combo drive in it.

[quote name='kill3r7']Based on what I read here Life is region locked.[/QUOTE]
Correct, Life is region locked. Do not import it.

I'll probably pick up the BBC version when it's released. I think it's silly and a waste of money paying people to half-assed redo the narration on these Discovery/BBC series. Do they think people are too stupid to understand the accent... oh, wait. I'm suddenly reminded of a friend who refused to watch The Naked Chef because she couldn't understand a word he said.

[quote name='kill3r7']That is partially correct. It's not region locked per se but it plays at 50Hz (so for all intends and purposes it's region locked).[/QUOTE]

Some players/TVs can handle the conversion just fine. But still, just wait 2 months.

[quote name='kill3r7']Based on what I read here Life is region locked.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='swornenemy29']Both versions of Life are being released on June 1, on Amazon. Here's the link for the David Attenborough version. http://www.amazon.com/Life-narrated...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1270253529&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ChibiJosh']What I read there is that it isn't region locked, it's just encoded in a way that won't let a PS3 play it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18680945&postcount=398[/QUOTE]

[quote name='kill3r7']That is partially correct. It's not region locked per se but it plays at 50Hz (so for all intends and purposes it's region locked).[/QUOTE]

[quote name='monoxide101']I'll probably pick up the BBC version when it's released. I think it's silly and a waste of money paying people to half-assed redo the narration on these Discovery/BBC series. Do they think people are too stupid to understand the accent... oh, wait. I'm suddenly reminded of a friend who refused to watch The Naked Chef because she couldn't understand a word he said.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GizmoGC']Some players/TVs can handle the conversion just fine. But still, just wait 2 months.[/QUOTE]

Thank you all for the advice. Btw, not sure how my inquiry got moved from "Other Deals & Requests" to here:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back