BBY - Epic Gaming Package

Ghaleon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Just found this on the BBY Unlocked Forums, could be a deal MAYBE for some folks, not for me personally.

Hello, gamers! You may have heard about the Unlocked Epic Gaming Package that Best Buy will be begin to offer soon and we wanted to make sure we supplied you with the details ahead of time. This package will be available beginning 11/15 with the launch of the PlayStation 4, so check out the information below to make sure you're ready!

Q: I heard something about an Unlocked Epic Gaming Package at Best Buy. Can you tell me what it is?

A: For customers like yourself buying a new console, we’ve created a package that can help you save some dough, and save money on new video games in the future. Here's what's included in the package:

• New console (PlayStation 4 or Xbox One)
  • Extra controller (PlayStation 4 or Xbox One)
  • Two new video games of your choice for that console (PlayStation 4 or Xbox One)
  • Two years of Geek Squad Protection for your console
  • Two years of PlayStation Network or Xbox LIVE Subscriptions
  • My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked 2-year membership
Q: What's so great about the Unlocked Epic Gaming Package?

A: The items included in this package are essential for your new console and you're probably planning on buying them anyway. By purchasing them all at once, you save money right away on your games and your Unlocked membership. And, for the next two years, you will get 20% off new video games along with the other benefits of an Unlocked membership at more than 50% savings. As an example, for every $60 game you buy, you save $12. If you buy 5 games at that price after buying the package, the membership has paid for itself!  You get it...it adds up fast,and is a benefit exclusive to My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked members.

Q: Can I get the package with either console?

A: Yes, we have options for both consoles for you to choose from.

Q: How much are the Unlocked Epic Gaming Packages?

A: They range from $800 for PlayStation 4 to $880 for Xbox One. The Unlocked Epic Gaming Package will be available starting 11/15 at our midnight openings for PlayStation 4. 

Q: Does Best Buy offer special financing for these Unlocked Epic Gaming Packages?

A: We know it's a lot of dough - we're here for you. Yes, we offer special financing on the My Best Buy Credit Card, but you do not need to finance your purchase to ge the package.

Q: If I buy more than 2 games with the Unlocked Epic Gaming Package, do I get the 20% off on all my new games?
A: Yes, you get 20% off all new video games. Please note that if you buy your Unlocked Epic Gaming Package at one of our over 900 midnight openings, you will need to buy everything on one transaction. Also, it can take a bit of time for your membership to be recognized in our systems, so please inlcude all of the games you want to play that night with your Unlocked Epic Gaming Package purchase.

Q: If I buy multiple memberships, can I get 40% off new games?

A: You can buy multiple memberships, but that simply extends your time in the club and does not provide any additional benefits.

Q: I don't see myself as much of a gamer. Would this package benefit me?

A: Yes. Even if you play games less frequently and only plan on buying 5 more games in 2 years (after you buy the package), you benefit from this with all of the other benefits of My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked.

For more information on the enhanced My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked program, please follow the link below.

My Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked Enhancements

Source: http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/My-Best-Buy-Gamers-Club/Introducing-the-Unlocked-Epic-Gaming-Package/td-p/723503

Last edited by a moderator:
$500+$60+$60+$60+$120+$60+$60 =$920 everything combined for XB1 minus the Geek squad warranty so factor that it in.

You save around how much? Not sure how much 2 yr geek squad cost

This would be fine if I didn't already have it preordered at gamestop, and planned on getting 3 games for 40 each. This seems late.

Not a deal, at least not for PS4.

400+60*3(games+controller)+$80(relative 2 year price for PS+)=$660

The GCU membership is valued at $120 but I don't buy it. I will admit that the warranty from Best Buy is nice though, they don't seem to ask too many questions when you're getting it replaced...

I am so going to be annoyed with best buy every time I buy a game from them as they will shove this bullshit down my throat everytime I check out....

Not a deal, at least not for PS4.
400+60*3(games+controller)+$80(relative 2 year price for PS+)=$660
The GCU membership is valued at $120 but I don't buy it. I will admit that the warranty from Best Buy is nice though, they don't seem to ask too many questions when you're getting it replaced...
Yea definitely nice deal if you're getting a XB1 and not a PS4.

The new Unlocked thing has more details  posted at the first link (io was pretty much dead on).  Best news is recently expired or current memberships can get the 2 years for the same price as Unlocked is now.  I expired in September so I'll pay $30 for 2 years and see how it goes, can't see a huge problem with that.

Wow, this is quite expensive. If it was around $650 for the PS4 bundle then maybe I'd consider jumping on this, but I believe I could find better deals for the games and a PS+ subscription within two years. I really could do without the Geek Squad protection as well. I mean, after all, if the PS4 got something similar to the YLOD, what are the odds that Best Buy's computer staff would be able to salvage your console and get it working again in order for you to transfer your data? Remember this?

geek-squad.jpg

I am so going to be annoyed with best buy every time I buy a game from them as they will shove this bullshit down my throat everytime I check out....
put a sock in it, its not as tho they tried shoving the original gcu program down ur throat

Uhmm

Im not sure how much a year of psn plus goes for, but I havent ever paid over 35$ for a year of xbox live, ever. And ive had it for a long long time

Having a 2 year warranty for your console is also garbage, since consoles usually take far longer than that to break. And crap like RROD usually gets covered for everybody.

Combine that with the potential option of buying the consoles from a place that doesnt charge tax, and this deal is a heaping pile of diarrhea.

Yes getting games for 20% off is nice, but theres always coupons for websites (ie newegg)  or promo codes/gift cards for almost every game. And hell combine that with a website where you pay no tax, and this deal gets demolished.

There is literally absolutely no reason for someone to think this is a good deal. 

Not knocking the OP because I know they mean well and technically it is a ""deal"", but id advise anyone to stay away 

geek-squad.jpg
[/quote]

I know it's PS3 but... "You too can overpay for plugging in a console and setting up an account!"

What a deal! And the new GCU pricing is awesome as well! /sarcastic

Really... Some people will buy insurance / installation for anything... "Sir, we can setup that microwave in your home for a mere $20!...."

The sad part is, they didn't even know about it. Still don't.II'd rather them know their products and force it on me, it's easy to say know. Then explain people their job.
This happens quite a lot. I try to explain that I'm GCU and I'm supposed get 10% on trade ins. They start talking about it doesn't stack blah blah bs, while treating me like I'm trying to steal from them. It only happens with people who never done trade ins before, it's crazy sometimes. They work there but don't even know a program they run. It's embarrassing sometimes trying to argue over a extra $3, but it's the principle that matters. I'm paying $15 a year, you are going to give me what I pay for.

I would have never known about GCU either if It wasn't for signs by gaming. I have never had a Gaming employee mention it to me.

They are really trying to rope in the rubes with the term "Epic" aren't they

Best buy should be ashamed fooling people into this kind of nonsense and using customer stupidity to their advantage

You're thinking of the wrong company.

*waits for someone to post the GameShop vid*

Lmao @ Best Buy. They really don't have a clue.

So, if you buy a ps4,that's $400 for the console, $120 for the games, $100 for the PSN subscriptions, and $60 for the extra controller. That amounts to $680. That leaves $120 unaccounted for... My guess is that the warranty and the UL membership are fairly heavily discounted. In my opinion, it ain't that bad if you're dropping that kind of cash. Say the warranty retails for $100,and UL is $120,that saves $100.

Sure, you wouldn't pay $220 for UL and a warranty, but both are nice to have. Nice enough to buy for $120? For me, probably... And that's just ps4. XBox One sounds like it may be better yet.

Oh, and I wonder if you buy this and already have an UL membership. In that case, you get 2 more years, theoretically... Now add on the fact that you got that "coupon" for a 2 year extension and you have 4 years on top of what you already have. That would push some people to 2018. Holy hell...

And if you take the FAQs they posted for face value, all purchases of the UL membership stack years on top of the existing membership... Could be a nice little way in to get the membership until 2018. Just sayin'...

where's the deal?

Oh wait. Best Buy. Geek Squad. Hahahah.  :twoguns: 

I remember seeing them bundle consoles with overpriced "Geek Squad" installation earlier last gen. Though it was ridiculous then. And it's still ridiculous now. I guess they are hoping to get some suckers buying new consoles. 

They were taking this geek squad installation/protection stuff too far and I thought they'd learned their lesson since I haven't seen it so much lately. I remember a few years ago I was in the market for a laptop and I picked out the one I wanted for like $599 (it was in the weekly ad, and I verified stock online). So I go to the store to pick it up and literally ALL SIX of the in-stock in inventory were bundled with Geek Squad crap for $749 (it might have even been more). I actually had to argue with the manager to be able to get it without Geek Squad for $599.  I pulled out the "bait and switch" card before he finally relented. I had a good mind to just go to another store, since I had a COMPUSA/Tiger Direct in the same shopping center. But for whatever reason I just couldn't let it go. Hopefully they didn't sell a single one of those with Geek Squad, but I know they probably did.  :roll:

Its a nice idea but still priced much much higher than many are willing to pay.

I won't be buying in on this.

I had reconsidered getting GCU for $15 but no way at $120.

Wow, this is quite expensive. If it was around $650 for the PS4 bundle then maybe I'd consider jumping on this, but I believe I could find better deals for the games and a PS+ subscription within two years. I really could do without the Geek Squad protection as well. I mean, after all, if the PS4 got something similar to the YLOD, what are the odds that Best Buy's computer staff would be able to salvage your console and get it working again in order for you to transfer your data? Remember this?

geek-squad.jpg
:rofl: wow.

Though to be fair it IS very difficult to get any system to play nicely with certain routers. I've had tons of problems with Netgear and swore off Belkin forever, and would've gladly paid somebody to go through the headache of making either of them play nice for me. But they'd have to do it for everything including Wii/WiiU/3DS/PS3/Blu-Ray/PC/Kindle/Smartphone/ect. I've since bought a Linksys and had far fewer problems but I understand the appeal in an idea like this. I mean it's not a terrible concept for people who aren't super computer savvy if only the price were right.

But $130? Wow.... that's just insane. I'd figure something like $10 an hour + a fee depending on mileage, this boils down to basic tech support, you shouldn't be paying a premium for that.

They never even mentioned it.
I've had it mentioned to me a couple of times, but only when I'm buying a large stack of games to PM from another sale. It's never been like Gaestop where I say no 50 times and they still refuse to sell me anything without my address phone number and email.

Last edited:
Feel free to substitute Gears of War, Infinity Blade, etc. :whistle2:

Could be worth it if you're planning on spending all the money on new stuff straight up on release and you buy lots of new games from BBY. 

they are basically trying to take advantage of people who did not pre-ordered earlier and will pay anything to get a ps4 or Xbox one. I think this is the only way of explaining why someone would buy this

Not worth it.

Assuming MSRP it is almost exactly MSRP, except for the useless geek squad warranty. Where if you're type to get it, I feel sorry for you and then it is worth it.

Even then it's just okay, since you can get 3 PS4/Xbone games for $120 at Target.

I don't know Tyler, setting up those user accounts can be tricky, with this deal it's all done for you :D/
Agreed, Tyler should definitely get this.

First time I heard the name Geeksquad I imagine a group of brilliant young people with at least a Master's in EE or CS. Turns out it's just basic tech support, tarnishes the word geek.

They're clearly not targeting the "CAG-user" for this deal.  Seems obvious to me that they're hoping to get paid up front for games, PS+/XBL etc, whereas most users on here will wait and pay, what... half of MSRP or less?

Obviously there is the concern for the Geek Squad protection/warranty, but as someone stated better than me, most major issues won't be something they can fix right away, or will be handled by the manufacturer.

My math:  PS4 ($400) + PS+ ($20 for me) X2 + 2 Games ($40 conservatively) + Controller ($50 unfortunately)

I get $550..... don't care about GCU or Geek Squad stuff.  As others have said, most of their offerings for physical items can be had for much less with a little patience.  They are just hoping for the money up front. 

I think I'll pass - will be interesting to see if they can rope anyone in with an $800+ price tag though.

This is what this shit does to CAG.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzcjlnID6M0[/youtube]

$800-$880? WTF? My heart about exploded when I saw that price. How many people are going to do that? Whoever is in charge of gaming at Best Buy corporate has clearly lost his/her mind.

$800-$880? WTF? My heart about exploded when I saw that price. How many people are going to do that? Whoever is in charge of gaming at Best Buy corporate has clearly lost his/her mind.
Between this and the new @Gamer club, I have to agree. Shitty @Gamer coupons aside, I've always stood up for Best Buy and give them most of my business when it comes to gaming and electronics, but this is just asinine. Surely they realize that only the most hardcore gamers are gonna get a new system at launch, and most of them aren't gonna fall for this. Casuals may actually benefit from GeekSquad (assuming this promotion is even around that long) are gonna bawk at the $800 pricetag. I can't figure out who they are trying to target with this. At least with the new @Gamer club, the $120 membership halfway makes sense if you buy like every halfway major release on Day 1, but this deal is just insane.

At least

My math: PS4 ($400) + PS+ ($20 for me) X2 + 2 Games ($40 conservatively) + Controller ($50 unfortunately)
Just for the record, I'd like to visit wherever you're getting PS+ subs for $20. People are salivating all over themselves waiting for the GS/AMZ $30 PS+ deals on black friday!

bread's done
Back