Be honest, do you pay for music?

Quackzilla

CAGiversary!
Feedback
5 (100%)
Me? No, I don't.

I used to buy CDs, but it was a pain ripping them and making sure all the indformation was right. Then I explored online music stores, but the selection was crappy and download speeds slow, not to mention 99 cents per song is pretty steep considering you don't even get the actuall CD.

So now I get all my music off bittorrent, costs me nothing, all files are labelled perfectly, and it takes about 10-15 minutes to d/l an album.

Although I do buy a few "greatest hits" CDs to support artists that I really like, which I put in my car. I think I will buy a Bjork CD this weekend.

Yes and no. I download a lot. Way too much. But I eventually replace my downloaded albums with real copies. Just, not as often as they cost a lot.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Yes and no. I download a lot. Way too much. But I eventually replace my downloaded albums with real copies. Just, not as often as they cost a lot.[/QUOTE]
Seconded.

Yes, I do buy all my CDs, I probably wouldn't if I used BitTorrent but I don't. I don't listen to much new music anyways. And I use my comcast raphsody to try out new music.

90% of the stuff I listen to is impossible to find around here, so yes, I download music. If I like an album, then I will order it. It's nice not ordering an album, waiting a week for it, then realizing you don't like it, or there are only two good songs on it, when it arrives.

I don't listen to much new music so i don't have to worry about spending too much money on CDs. I buy new releases for my favorite artists on release week since Best Buy usually sells new releases for ~$10.

Anything hard to find, I will resort to iTunes. For something even harder, I am forced to download.

The hard to find things would usually be imports for me. It's hard for me to drop $30-35 and shipping on a import album so I usually download those. I will eventually buy those albums on eBay for a better price.

Only albums I REALLY REALLY like. Ones that I can listen to till the day I die. Which means I have a very small selection of cds. :lol:

Yes, yes, and partially no.

I have a strict rule

NEW releases: once I pre-order [if it's import] and know it's being shipped [that I bought one] I download a preview until I get the real thing

Everything else has to be on legitimate purchased CD or else I don't listen.

Nope.

CD's are useless to me since I have gone competely digital and pying for downloads seem dumb since I can get a song in higher quality and labeled properly for free.

Yes. But I download assloads of music too. I simply cannot wait to hear the next song/artist/album that will rock my world, so I seek out as many of each as I can.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, and all the bands I've talked to, don't have a problem with it either. Because it has kind of leveled the playing field a bit more. By people hearing things before they go buy it, you're saving them from buying retarded music (there's no saving retarded people from buying retarded music, however), and instead finding out what they really enjoy, out of everything available, and getting that instead.

However to answer, yes, I buy CD's, after I've confirmed that the CD is worth the purchase through downloading, or from seeing them put on a good show opening for another band.

Yes and no. I download music, very good music, but it's still stuff I would never actually buy, and it's mostly import/video game music. I buy stuff from small bands. My theory is if I would never buy it anyway, I download it. Sure, not the most legal or justifiable answer, but it works.

[quote name='MrFriday18']hell no, if you do pay for music you're an idiot.[/quote]

Or, you know, you enjoy supporting artists you like. Not every musician is RIAA controlled.

Another yes and no. I'm a poor HS student, so I can't afford to pay $10+ on every CD that I like, onlyt the ones I love, so I DL a lot.
I also DL music to see if I like it or not, because if I don't, I can't return it if I don't like it.

Also, CDs ONLY. I want control over my own music, fuck DRM.

Generally, no. I have downloaded numerous game soundtracks, but if they were readily available stateside I'd buy physical copies (and I did buy the games, so I feel somewhat justified).

As for regular stuff, only to test. If I like the music, I'll buy the album. If I don't, I'll delete the download. The only album I've outright "stolen" was one that I used to own a copy of, but it was in my car stereo when it was stolen. I intended to buy a new copy, but it had long been out of print and was impossible to find.

It's been a long long time since I had. I justify it by the way the RIAA is stealing all the cut off a cd from the artists. As well, their really shitty suing practices.

The way I feel is your basically just paying the companies like Warner and Sony 9 or 10 bucks and the artist get their cut not from sales but from shows and things of that nature. A lot of artist really don't care either way as long as their heard and people come to their shows, their cool.

I pay for any music that is not associated with the RIAA. Usually I try to buy directly from the band mostly at shows, sometimes off of the band's website.

If the band is associated with the RIAA I won't buy thier stuff. There are exceptions, but they are very rare.

Yes, mostly because I have little opportunity to download music (P2P sucks now, and torrents don't work on my network connection since I'm stuck behind an internal IP). So I buy one or two albums a year of bands that I really like.

That said, I have a few dozen CDs worth of MP3s I downloaded during my college days that's probably better than most stuff out now, so if I haven't gotten around to listening to that stuff again, why bother trying to download new stuff?

Personally CD's are not even worth it like tapes was.

The CD Drive is the death of the recording age.

Personally Records was and still wil be the better playing device. Sometimes it will gwet jamed but then again you can do that DJ thing with any record player.

So downloading music is nobodies fault but the recording studios and people who say to put the music on CD.

Another thing it is friggin Computer data so duh how can you not download it.

[quote name='mykevermin']I won't download music from someone who's alive. If the artist is dead, fuck it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed about downloading dead artist's music.

I do a little bit of both for living artists. If i just want one song from a band, I won't buy the whole album.

The thing is they are not artists they are musicians. They create Music. Regaurdless if it is film, music, or Videogames as long as it esist in a familiar data form it will be downloaded.

Who cares if it hurts there success by a small fold. The recording studios is the ones to blame. Do you think they want to record everything to CD? No they don't it is only the choice of there Agents and half the time the agent is in control.

I dont download anything. I buy a shitload of CDs all the time. In fact, I may have over 800 cds in my collection.

It also helps to have some kick-ass record stores nearby. I feel sorry for people who have nothing but Walmart in their area.

In case you are wondering, I'm not into Hip-hop, Rap or whatever is popular in the radio stations right now.

I dont buy music, but no all of my stuff is downloaded. Some stuff I get from my cousin, some from my friends and some from CDs my brother buys. I do download some stuff, but i'm not on the RIAA's top 25 list or anything.

How do they catch people downloading music?

Should I set up a proxy or something?

I download about a gigabyte of music every week, and I don't wanna get a fine for all those songs or whatever it is they do...

I used to back when I had 28.8 internet over the summer. The thing is, like most people, I am impatient, and if I can get it 2 weeks early, for free, no less, I would. I might pay for it if the tables were turned, and you couldn't download for free until 2 weeks AFTER it hits stores.

[quote name='Quackzilla']How do they catch people downloading music?

Should I set up a proxy or something?

I download about a gigabyte of music every week, and I don't wanna get a fine for all those songs or whatever it is they do...[/QUOTE]

OH MAN, YOU HAVEN'T BEEN USING A PROXY? you're fucked.

Yes and no.

I DL a decent amount and if I like it, I'll most likely buy it. I support all the artists I like and being a manager for a musician starting out, I feel like a hypocrite if I don't buy CDs, ha.

I pirate everything I have (Movies, all my programs for PC, PC games, music) the only thing I buy are console games. It's a waste of money to buy something when you can get it for free and I vowed to never buy another PC program after I bought Nero and it didn't work then I downloaded it and it works fine. My friend has this $20,000 server program that he downloaded. I love pirating everything I own and sticking it in companies faces now.

A little of both. I spend most of my money supporting bands that are just getting their start here in the US (Most bands I listen to are from the UK, for example), buying their cds (even though I've imported a lot of them from the UK already) and catching them on tour as much as possible.

I download on occasion, mostly from bands who I try my best to support otherwise-- when they play huge sold out stadium gigs that I pay $80 a ticket for and $60 for two shirts. I know that doesn't make it right, but I feel better ripping off the big guys who have 4 mega tour buses with hot tubs and hoookers, than the little ones who need that $15 to have enough gas to get to the next town on the tour leg in their uhaul and broken down 1989 van.

I'm also guilty of downloading things I already own on cd because I'm just too lazy to rip them, and have been gulity of downloading (and buying) advance release copies because I'm impatient.

There are some bands that I will always buy every single single, promo, every version of every album, every collectors piece I can.

Honestly No..

[quote name='"Quackzilla"']
I download about a gigabyte of music every week, and I don't wanna get a fine for all those songs or whatever it is they do...[/quote]

Download PeerGuardian2 for starters

[quote name='GrimNecroWizard']I pirate everything I have (Movies, all my programs for PC, PC games, music) the only thing I buy are console games. It's a waste of money to buy something when you can get it for free and I vowed to never buy another PC program after I bought Nero and it didn't work then I downloaded it and it works fine. My friend has this $20,000 server program that he downloaded. I love pirating everything I own and sticking it in companies faces now.[/QUOTE]

Why do you buy console games then? They are easy to find on the internet and you could easily mod your consoles...

[quote name='ananag112']Why do you buy console games then? They are easy to find on the internet and you could easily mod your consoles...[/quote]

Dunno how to mod my Wii and the only game I ever play sometimes for Xbox is Halo2 online so I can't mod it because I don't want my online banned. Then I was thinking about modding the PS2 but kept saying to myself next gen would be out in a year so why bother and I was right because all I play is Wii now.

bread's done
Back