Beat MGS4? What is your Favorite Act? (Possible Spoilers)

DarkNessBear

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
By this time, I believe most of those that attend the PS3 section of CAG regularly and are MGS fans have finished or close to finishing MGS4. Well, I am really curious on what was the overall consensus on the "best" act is in the CAG community. I'm sure most have more then one favorite act, but that's to easy! Choose your one favorite act.

(Sorry Into/Act 1, should have been Prologue/Act1.)
My choice:
As for me, my favorite chapter had to be a close call between numbers 1 and 4. I enjoyed the nostalgia of number 4 a whole lot, but I enjoyed the gameplay of number 1 a ton. So i'd go with Number 1, it really was great as a whole.

And my least favorite had to go to number 2 or 3. But the edge goes to 2, I didn't really enjoy the gameplay of MGS3, and it was very similar. And the amount of loading was atrocious. (That driving scene had to load like every 1-2 minutes...)

And as I posted in another thread, I really feel as if each act refers to a certain MGS game in a sense (with an exception).

Act 1: MGS4 - Seems like the new mechanics of MGS4 are at full affect here.
Act 2: MGS3 - Traversing a jungle/outdoor setting, relying on vast landscapes as cover.
Act 3: ? - Can't put my finger on it.
Act 4: MGS1 - It's pretty obvious why.
Act 5: MGS2 - Reminiscent of the final part of MGS2 very sci-fi.

What was your favorite act? And also, your least favorite?

(Please use spoiler tags. Just in case.)

I voted for 5. I hated a good portion of it, but I did a whole lot of oldschool sneaking in it and I nearly blinded myself with stun-grenade-launcher havoc.

I really hated the little fighter game thing at the end. Mostly because I am terrible at fighters, but even more so because prior to this point the game didn't pull any of that Cliche multi-life boss bullshit that Japanese games have.

I really wanted to like act 3. The city had so much potential to have this great Spy Game feel to it, but the whole follow the npc thing went on for far too long.

I know everyone loves the shadow mosses level, but it bored me. Don't get me started on freaking out because my TV switched resolutions for the mgs flashback thing. The b&b battle was dissapointing, and the snow effect on the camera got old real quick.

I picked Act 5, mostly because it had such a profound impact me on the later part of the level.

Act 1 I loved for its chaos and plenty of chances to use Octocamo in the open. And seeing Meryl (and Sasaki) again.

Act 2 had a lot of variety to its level and one heck of a freaky car chase. And of course, epic Raiden/Vamp battle.

Act 3 was all Big Mama. The bike escape was intense.

Act 4 for the extreme nostalgia-- and for once, Snake was IN a Metal Gear fighting the other. I took Ray apart like melted butter. And Liquid barely even scrached my old relic of a nemesis.

Act 5 as I said just affected me deeply as I played. That longest walk, coupled with the split screen, looking like all hope was lost... I have never felt the odds so stacked against me, and yet, Snake persevered.

Greatest Metal Gear ever? I'd say yes.

Since you lumped the Epilogue in with Act 5, Act 5, easily.

Big Boss' final appearance is what did it. That's one of my favorite scenes in any form of media ever.

I kind of liked Act 4... but a certain enemy took most of the fun out of the level. So I'll go with Act 5 as my favorite. Both of the boss fights in Act 5 were extremely fun.

I really liked the fight at the end, it was like the fight at the end of MGS1 and when it went through all of the different game themes, it really had a sense of finality. Overall though, my favorite was Act 4, followed by Act 1. Nostalgia, ahoy.

Act4-Epilogue. I loved the whole MGS1 thing they had going while in Shadow Moses. The movies and fights in Act 5 were insane.

Dang, you guys make me want to change it to Act 5 now.

Also:
What the hell is up with Naomi? First shes in love with Otacon, then shes betraying him, then she's loyal to Ocelot, then shes in love with vamp and acts like a vampire and tells vamp to kill everyone, then she tells Otacon that shes sorry and she admires him, and then she leaves a video telling snake and otacon how awesome they are...

Is she crazy? Or just bad character development?

[quote name='Thomas96']I like Act 2 because it reminds me of MGS4.[/quote]

:rofl:

I'd go with Act 4. I liked the nostalgia, but there was more to it than that. Seeing Shadow Moses all derelict and decayed was really moving. That coupled with the fact that it housed 3 boss fights (i.e. half the boss fights in the entire game) and that the Crying Wolf fight was my favourite makes it an easy choice. But they're all great really. I wish you didn't lump Act 5 and Epilogue together, because I loved most of act 5, but HATED the epilogue.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Also:
What the hell is up with Naomi? First shes in love with Otacon, then shes betraying him, then she's loyal to Ocelot, then shes in love with vamp and acts like a vampire and tells vamp to kill everyone, then she tells Otacon that shes sorry and she admires him, and then she leaves a video telling snake and otacon how awesome they are...

Is she crazy? Or just bad character development?
[/QUOTE]

A bit of both. Naomi was working with Ocelot the entire time to eliminate the entire Patriot system. Ocelot's assumption of the Liquid persona and insurrection was a ruse to make the Patriots think that they were attempting to make Outer Haven, not a full attack. Naomi getting on the Nomad was only to get them the information and G.W. worm. Her falling in love with Otacon made no sense, since it just kinda...happened.

With Vamp, she manipulated him into attacking Snake, who had the Syringe needed to kill him. Her suicide thereafter made no sense either.

For one of the most important characters in the story, Naomi's development wasn't nearly good enough.

What really doesn't make sense, outside of her suicide, is Vamp altogether. If all he really wanted was to die then why go fighting and killing tons of people and working as a lackey for all those years when he was practically immortal? I just don't understand why Vamp was working for Liquid Ocelot or anyone else ever.

Anyway, I liked Act 4 the best. It was sweet to use Rex's laser and missiles that were such a pain in the ass to dodge in MGS1. I didn't really like Act 3 that much just because I hate "tailing" missions in games where they force you to follow and play at a certain pace, altough this one did have some variety with his whistling and outfit change and all.

*spoiler-free*

MGS fan here:

Act 3 is suprisingly my favorite. I absolutely loved the fact that Act 4 was WHERE it was, but as for the actual PLAYING part it was a little disappointing. Act 5 would easily have won (this is even the first game i've shed a tear for, not to be repeated btw), but that ending video to Act 3 was....mind-blowing.

You guys make me want to change it to Act 4, but i just can't. That final ending to 3....EPIC. I also loved how they changed up the gameplay a little.

P.S. Still, best game ever created. Many might not think so: i KNOW so.

P.S.S. Whoever said Act 2 reminded you of MGS4:
:cry::rofl:(that's me crying of laughter)

[quote name='Thomas96']I like Act 2 because it reminds me of MGS4.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Thanks, that was a good laugh.

As for the topic I'll have to say 5, although I really loved all of them.

[quote name='the_punisher']*spoiler-free*

MGS fan here:

Act 3 is suprisingly my favorite. I absolutely loved the fact that Act 4 was WHERE it was, but as for the actual PLAYING part it was a little disappointing. Act 5 would easily have won (this is even the first game i've shed a tear for, not to be repeated btw), but that ending video to Act 3 was....mind-blowing.

You guys make me want to change it to Act 4, but i just can't. That final ending to 3....EPIC. I also loved how they changed up the gameplay a little.

P.S. Still, best game ever created. Many might not think so: i KNOW so.

P.S.S. Whoever said Act 2 reminded you of MGS4:
:cry::rofl:(that's me crying of laughter)[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with Act 3. I honestly didn't like following the NPC around that much, but damn...the ending of that Act was just amazing. This was definitely an excellent game overall though and it's hard to place one part as being great. Everyone owes it to themselves to play this game.

fucking everything all the acts and i can't believe it. I am currently on my 3rd play through. First was for story, second was speed run, and now i am trying to get some medals and sneaking its sooo fun. I usually never play games more than once after i beat them. If i had the chose one act though it would be the last as it gives the best cinematic conclusion and feeling for me.

[quote name='panasonic']fucking everything all the acts and i can't believe it. I am currently on my 3rd play through. First was for story, second was speed run, and now i am trying to get some medals and sneaking its sooo fun. I usually never play games more than once after i beat them. If i had the chose one act though it would be the last as it gives the best cinematic conclusion and feeling for me.[/quote]

I think Metal Gear games are really the only ones that I'll play though several times. I just beat MGS4 last night and today I asked my fiance if she wanted to watch me play (for story; she's somewhat interested in the series) my second play through. Her response: "Why would you start over? You just finished it!" :lol:

Act 5 was by far the best, especially with the Epilogue included. It was just very moving.

I was actually disappointed by Act 4, the story parts were awesome, but I felt the gameplay lacked quite a bit in that act.

[quote name='Logain8955']
A bit of both. Naomi was working with Ocelot the entire time to eliminate the entire Patriot system. Ocelot's assumption of the Liquid persona and insurrection was a ruse to make the Patriots think that they were attempting to make Outer Haven, not a full attack. Naomi getting on the Nomad was only to get them the information and G.W. worm. Her falling in love with Otacon made no sense, since it just kinda...happened.

With Vamp, she manipulated him into attacking Snake, who had the Syringe needed to kill him. Her suicide thereafter made no sense either.

For one of the most important characters in the story, Naomi's development wasn't nearly good enough.
[/quote]

The MGS4 Database states that the FOXDIE that Drebin injected Snake with targeted Liquid Ocelot, Big Mama, Big Boss, and Naomi. Once she injected herself with something to get rid of her nanomachines, she was infected by Snake's new FOXDIE and died.

I like all the acts! I love the entire game. But if I absolutely must choose, I'd have to go with Act 1.

Act 1 contained many opportunities to play around with the 2-sided battles where you can feel free to sneak around as an observer of the battle, or participate to help the militia, I love doing that. Unfortunately, after Act 2, you no longer encounter these opportunities. But all the acts have several things going for them that made them memorable for me as well, especially the ending to Act 3 in Europe.

I'll have to go with act 3, more specifically the post-
following the guy
part of it. I had multiple nerdgasms from that point on. It was just so awesome. The rest of the game gave me more nerdgasms, but it was at that point that I realized that I was experiencing the pinnacle of human achievement. THIS was what I bought a PS3 for and waited years for.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I'll have to go with act 3, more specifically the post-
following the guy
part of it. I had multiple nerdgasms from that point on. It was just so awesome. The rest of the game gave me more nerdgasms, but it was at that point that I realized that I was experiencing the pinnacle of human achievement. THIS was what I bought a PS3 for and waited years for.[/quote]

This really is the highest quality I've EVER seen in a game. Just the amount of work that went into little details in the background amazes me, and then there's the music, character models, story, everything.

To answer the OP's question though, I'd have to go with Act 4. The first MGS will always have a special place in my heart, and when I approached the helipad and "The Best is Yet to Come" started playing, it gave me goosebumps. The addition of the voices you hear when you see familiar areas is just awesome, not just for nostalgia's sake, but because it really adds that with emotional value.

[quote name='reiji']This really is the highest quality I've EVER seen in a game. Just the amount of work that went into little details in the background amazes me, and then there's the music, character models, story, everything.

To answer the OP's question though, I'd have to go with Act 4. The first MGS will always have a special place in my heart, and when I approached the helipad and "The Best is Yet to Come" started playing, it gave me goosebumps. The addition of the voices you hear when you see familiar areas is just awesome, not just for nostalgia's sake, but because it really adds that with emotional value.[/quote]

Exactly. Never has a game made me felt such nostalgia.

Of course, this act only for the people who played MGS1 to death, otherwise, it's just "another act".

With the Majority, Act 4. So sad to see that area you used to know, all dead.

At the end of Act 3, Eva jumps into the flames to recover those "Big Boss" remains, although you find out later she was part of the real Big Boss' reconstruction. Why did she do that, other than dramatic effect?[/ spoiler]

[quote name='reiji']This really is the highest quality I've EVER seen in a game. Just the amount of work that went into little details in the background amazes me, and then there's the music, character models, story, everything.

To answer the OP's question though, I'd have to go with Act 4. The first MGS will always have a special place in my heart, and when I approached the helipad and "The Best is Yet to Come" started playing, it gave me goosebumps. The addition of the voices you hear when you see familiar areas is just awesome, not just for nostalgia's sake, but because it really adds that with emotional value.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'm actually not a very big fan of the first MGS. I played it a few years ago for the first time and it was rather fun and had creative boss fights, but the horrible script and unneccessary mandatory backtracking made it only pretty good in retrospect. But what they did with it here was really interesting by keeping all the best elements of that game (the setting, the music, the scenerios), and turning them on their head. Now you play as a Metal Gear using the same weapons we faught before. Now we get another sniper duel, but one that is infinitelly better than the dated relic that is the Sniper Wolf duel. I wasn't a huge fan of the orb robots, but they're only in a few rooms in the entire game and help break up the monotony. It was nice to revisit all the old sights and sounds, but you don't even have to be a fan of the first game to appreciate what they did to it here.

lol lots of fanboy nostalgia made act 4 the winner eh?
It's funny how by taking the least amount of work (copying previous level design) you make a favorite :). I guess that's how nintendo manages to rehash the same junk over and over and $$$$

[quote name='Zoglog']lol lots of fanboy nostalgia made act 4 the winner eh?
It's funny how by taking the least amount of work (copying previous level design) you make a favorite :). I guess that's how nintendo manages to rehash the same junk over and over and $$$$[/quote]
.... I smell a troll :lol:

Why was there even a need to mention Nintendo in a thread about MGS4?

Anyway, my favorite act was 4, yes nostalgia, but you also, do get to fight, crying wolf, vamp and ray.

Act 5 was a load of dog crap. It was MGS2 all over again. The boss battles and cinematics were exceptional, but I could have done without the environment.

*Spoilers* (you should know better then entering this thread NOT expecting to hit a ton of spoilers)
I voted Act 5 simply for the buildup of the long corridor. Very much the climax of the entire game.

2 and 4 were my favorites. I voted for 4, but there are aspects of every act that I really loved.

I loved how act 2 started and built up. It also had the most varied gameplay.

Perhaps it's the fan service of 4, but I felt that the story really escalated during act 4.

The whole game was amazing to me. Probably one of my top 5 all time games. I loved it.

Although Shawn Elliot gave a lot of hate on the GFW podcast, he did bring up a great point about ACT 4 and his theory on it.

He basically states that it represents the leap in technology and how fast it has changed, that's also why Snake has aged so quickly (just like game tech). He talks about how Shadow Mosses is now an old relic, it's breaking down yet still remains intact. Even the Metal Gear Rex rests in it's same place old and now an old piece of useless tech, similar to the PSone. And when Otacon mentions the disc switch he is not referring to the console wars but just in terms of technology and how far it has come.

I thought it was a very clever theory. You can read the whole thing here:
http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=4551247

Act 4, I understand how some people didn't like it, but the entire point of the level was to feel nostalgic. It succeeded with me, I had a huge grin on my face the entire time, it just made things feel like they came full circle. Epilogue gets honorable mention
Big Boss showing up was a jaw dropping moment, I tell you if you didn't play MGS3 with this game you were just shit outta luck

bread's done
Back