Beat Super Mario Bros. - Now it won't go back to goombas! :(

3QGojo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I downloaded Super Mario Bros. and beat it. As everyone knows once you beat it, you get those dark shell creatures instead of goombas. The problem is that it won't go back to being goombas! Even after I selected reset...I believe this is a problem for me because now none of my younger siblings want to play Mario because it's "too hard". I just wanted to beat the game and get the harder version, but I don't want it to stay that way! :(

I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

[quote name='chodax']I cant beat it yet :([/QUOTE]
You can't beat super Mario Brothers? Its like the easiest game of all time...

[quote name='CouRageouS']Is there a save file for it? Move that to your SD card then see if that does it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I went back to copy the file today and it didnt work, saying this copy cannot be copied.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You can't beat super Mario Brothers? Its like the easiest game of all time...[/quote]

Dude I've never beaten Super Mario 1, level 9 is hard.:cry:

[quote name='zionoverfire']Dude I've never beaten Super Mario 1, level 9 is hard.:cry:[/quote]

......I think it ends at 8.

The only reason I fear of completing it is the fact of having to delete the save file. Then it's good-bye high score. As long as you never hit reset during an NES game, the high score is saved.

[quote name='E_G_Man']......I think it ends at 8.[/QUOTE]

It ends at 8-4... I didnt think the "aharder" version was difficult, I beat it immediately after the first time I beat it, many years ago...

its not the easiest game of all time, but not overly difficult if you put the time into it and know all the tricks

[quote name='zman73']its not the easiest game of all time, but not overly difficult if you put the time into it and know all the tricks[/quote]For me, Super Mario Bros. is all about momentum. If I can have a good run, I'm golden. Shortly after getting it on the VC I tore through 1-1 through 6-3 without even being hit and without warping. But then, in 6-4, I missed a jump and fell into a pit (I think... well, died somehow, regardless). Momentum, over. I ended up losing about 7 of my 11 or so lives in 6-4 and then barely made it to 7-3 before everything was gone.

The other thing that can bring my SMB game to a griding hault is being small in 8-4. I'm terrible at timing the run underneath Bowser--I did manage it the last time I beat it a few weeks ago, but it's not something I can always do.

While short, I think SMB has one of the highest difficulty levels of any of the 2D Mario games, 2nd only to Yoshi's Island if you count that one in the same category.

[quote name='daroga']For me, Super Mario Bros. is all about momentum. If I can have a good run, I'm golden. Shortly after getting it on the VC I tore through 1-1 through 6-3 without even being hit and without warping. But then, in 6-4, I missed a jump and fell into a pit (I think... well, died somehow, regardless). Momentum, over. I ended up losing about 7 of my 11 or so lives in 6-4 and then barely made it to 7-3 before everything was gone.

The other thing that can bring my SMB game to a griding hault is being small in 8-4. I'm terrible at timing the run underneath Bowser--I did manage it the last time I beat it a few weeks ago, but it's not something I can always do.

While short, I think SMB has one of the highest difficulty levels of any of the 2D Mario games, 2nd only to Yoshi's Island if you count that one in the same category.[/QUOTE]

I loved Yoshi's Island, finally played through that one on SNES a year or so ago, brought back so many fond memories. New SMB was fun, a little easy but fun, seems like the newer releases had more ways to pile on the extra men. (the levels 3-1 and 5-1 glitches nonwithstanding) SMB2, the first time I beat it, I got to the final boss with almost 50 men, didnt beat it until about 9 left as I didnt know what I was doing there, but still beat it

Bowser can be jumped over as well, but that probably takes a little more skill than sliding under him

You want difficult, SMB has NOTHING on Lost Levels (SMB2 in Japan) I only made it to the end of world 7 there before giving up

I can still beat SMB without losing a life... or at least I could about 2 years ago when I was playing SMBDX all the time. It's still one of the best games ever made - everything is just so perfect - especially the controls.

[quote name='zman73']You want difficult, SMB has NOTHING on Lost Levels (SMB2 in Japan) I only made it to the end of world 7 there before giving up[/quote]Ugh, I know. I had the Famicom Mini version on my GBA for quite a while. I've played the All-Stars Lost Levels version, and it was challenging, but something about the Famicom version was more pure, unadulterated pain. Anyone else get that impression?

I believe it saves the game when you exit. But from the Wii pause menu you can reset the game. Maybe resetting it will bring back the goombas?

I used to Warp from world 1 to world 4, and from world 4 to world 8. I started playing without the warps and feel like I'm playing a new game. Wow, I cheated a lot back then. I think this is the time I have ever even seen world 5, 6, or 7!

[quote name='3QGojo']Actually, I went back to copy the file today and it didnt work, saying this copy cannot be copied.[/QUOTE]

It looks like there is no way around this! Either you play with all goombas or all buzzy beetles.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I can't seem to find one, I thought copy the file would do the trick, but apparently you just have to delete the file alltogether to get the goombas back...

About a year ago I went on a rampage on SMB1; Got every move down to a science, and could beat the game in 7 minutes or so. I did it once only getting hit once - by the first fucking pirahna plant in 8-4.

After I was done wrecking that game, I moved onto Lost Levels on All-Stars. It is, by far, the hardest game I've ever beaten, and if it didn't have unlimited continues, I would probably have never gotten past the first world... let alone all 12. The final level took me about a hundred lives; hell, I died 10 times in the first 3 seconds. There's a jump that starts the level which gives you the least amount of room possible for momentum. But, I beat it. And I'm glad, because I never have to play it again.

Aww, why wouldn't you want to replay it? Don't you like giant firewheels that take up most of the screen? Or going over an edge to drop down into a pirahna-plant filled pipe right next to a bottomless pit?

Anyway, any good places to buy the Famicom Mini version of the Lost Levels?

[quote name='3QGojo']It looks like there is no way around this! Either you play with all goombas or all buzzy beetles.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I can't seem to find one, I thought copy the file would do the trick, but apparently you just have to delete the file alltogether to get the goombas back...[/quote]

Wouldn't the virtual Console game be separate from a save file for the game?
There's no way they would both be the same file.... my guess would be going to the wii virtual memory and deleting the save game file and leaving the game alone.

:whistle2:k

[quote name='Erillian']Are you guys joking who say you never beat this game?[/quote]

I haven't beaten it. But I haven't tried since I was a little kid.

[quote name='daroga']For me, Super Mario Bros. is all about momentum. If I can have a good run, I'm golden. Shortly after getting it on the VC I tore through 1-1 through 6-3 without even being hit and without warping. But then, in 6-4, I missed a jump and fell into a pit (I think... well, died somehow, regardless). Momentum, over. I ended up losing about 7 of my 11 or so lives in 6-4 and then barely made it to 7-3 before everything was gone.

While short, I think SMB has one of the highest difficulty levels of any of the 2D Mario games, 2nd only to Yoshi's Island if you count that one in the same category.[/QUOTE]

WHAT?! YI was easy as heck.

I do agree with your momentum theory. I can blast through the entire game in less than an hour with even once dying. But if I die even once along the way, I'm screwed.

Who's The Twitch Now?;2626341 said:
About a year ago I went on a rampage on SMB1; Got every move down to a science, and could beat the game in 7 minutes or so. I did it once only getting hit once - by the first fucking pirahna plant in 8-4.

During the summer I got out my NES and put in mario brothers 3. My gf asked me how fast I could beat it and I said 15 minutes. So I started playing and got the warp flutes and I ended up finishing the entire game in 11 minutes. It almost feels like sonic when you fly through the game and it's surprising how easy bowser has gotten since I've gotten older.

bread's done
Back