Beef Jerkey

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
i love beef jerkey. beef jerky is pretty expensive at my local grocery. anyone have hookups for buying it in bulk for cheap?

i like the authentic tasting kind - not that horrible slim jim stuff. thanks

I usually go for the Teriyaki Jack Links stuff from Walmart. It's ~$3 for an average size pack.

I'd also be interested in a cheap/bulk place to get some good stuff.

Buy a beef jerky maker.
It's the only cheap way.
It takes a crudload of beef to make one chunk of jerky.
I don't see how you plan on lowering the price of meat anytime soon...

wal mart has a pound of jerky for 8.48 it is World Kitchens Old Fashioned Beef Jerky, 16-Ounce Bags thats a great deal per pound

I love beef jerky, but it is definitely one of the most expensive snacks around (followed closely by macadamia nuts). In my experience you get what you pay for. That two pound megapack bargain bag you scored from Costco for $10 cannot hold a candle to the real thing. Hint: if your jerky comes with a bag of silica at the bottom, it is a low-quality impostor.

My favorite is at a road-side stop an hour north of Austin, Texas, and at $23 per pound it is less expensive than many local authentic jerkies (which approach $32 per pound) and priced close to some of the impostors. Unfortunately it is an hour away from me, so I only enjoy it a few times a year.

Fortunately the easiest and least expensive way to get high quality jerky is to make it yourself. I have a beef jerky maker, but you don't need one. Check out this interesting preperation by Alton Brown from Good Eats. He employs an ingenious setup with a box fan and four air filters. Alton claims the box fan version is even better than a commercial dehydrator since it moves more air instead of relying on heat dry the meat.

You can further simplify the work by asking your butcher to cut the meat into thin slices. The results are absolutely amazing, and the effort is minimal. If you can mix ingredients into a plastic bag, you can make jerky. It is almost impossible to screw it up. Monitor your setup and continuously taste pieces until they are at the level of moisture that you like.

Mmmm...jerky.

[quote name='Braskley']
My favorite is at a road-side stop an hour north of Austin, Texas, and at $23 per pound it is less expensive than many local authentic jerkies (which approach $32 per pound) and priced close to some of the impostors. Unfortunately it is an hour away from me, so I only enjoy it a few times a year.
[/QUOTE]

you wouldnt' be talking about Woody's would you??

AMAZON DOESN'T HAVE CHEAP PRICES????

i REALLY need some good jerky...

looks like i can get 2 pounds for 20 dollars on amazon....time to order some jerky!

i bought a box of jerky once from ebay, i would sell below the cost of store jerky to drunk/stoned friends so a couple bags payed for the box

Go to the Intermountain West, obtain an elk tag, shoot an elk, skin, hack and pack it, season it at home and dry it. Cheapest and best stuff ever.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']Usually at this time of night, I've got my mind on a different kind of jerky.[/quote]

Turkey jerky?

Bev Mo! has soem of the best beef jerky I have ever tasted. I think it's called Ajay's Montana something or other. I'm not sure if it's available on their website, but if you have one near by, you should definetely pick a bag up.

I'm pretty sure I paid ~$8.00 for 8oz. of jerky, not sure how cheap that is.

Out in Palm Springs, there's a guy at the street fair every week with some damn good jerky.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name, and of course, I no longer live in SoCal.

[quote name='the_deej']you wouldnt' be talking about Woody's would you??[/quote]
The place I stop at is on IH-35 at exit 285 in Salado called Robertson's Choppin' Block. The store also sells a lot of beanie babies and chachkas, but I stay by the meat counter and order up a pound of mesquite jerky (don't like the hickory) and a Dr. Pepper.

In fact if you are already on a road trip, head north another hour and stop at the Dr. Pepper museum in downtown Waco. Skip the tour and head straight to the soda fountain. At the fountain a real soda jerk will mix sugar cane Dr. Pepper syrup with soda water to produce a delicious beverage.

Avoid any offers of hot Dr. Pepper, but do try a Dr. Pepper float. Oh, sweet sweet sugar cane Dr. Pepper and beef jerky. I chew until my jaw gives out. Then I wait until I can chew some more.

[quote name='jaritter']try obertoshopping.com[/quote]

i put my hat behind oberto jerky as well. they sell the stuff on the cheap here at a local grocery outlet its soooooooo damn good kind of addictive. deer jerky is good too if you can find it.

[quote name='Braskley']
[/quote]

Can you give me the name or a few brands that are high quality jerky? I did a google search, but I didn't see any reviews.

[quote name='Braskley']The place I stop at is on IH-35 at exit 285 in Salado called Robertson's Choppin' Block. The store also sells a lot of beanie babies and chachkas, but I stay by the meat counter and order up a pound of mesquite jerky (don't like the hickory) and a Dr. Pepper.

In fact if you are already on a road trip, head north another hour and stop at the Dr. Pepper museum in downtown Waco. Skip the tour and head straight to the soda fountain. At the fountain a real soda jerk will mix sugar cane Dr. Pepper syrup with soda water to produce a delicious beverage.

Avoid any offers of hot Dr. Pepper, but do try a Dr. Pepper float. Oh, sweet sweet sugar cane Dr. Pepper and beef jerky. I chew until my jaw gives out. Then I wait until I can chew some more.[/quote]

I envy you. Praise Dr. Pepper and all its greatness.

P.S. If you know anyone who hunts try and get them to make you some deer jerkey. Best ever.

[quote name='seen']Costco FTW![/quote]
Hell ya! Costco sells them in a bundle of 2 bags, high quality jerkey, tastes better than any other Jerkey I've had. Usually at least 2 different flavors available. Cheap too! Don't trust the ebay Jerkey its fake! JK on that last comment, but who knows! Costco Jerkey FTW! :bouncy:

Edit: Costco Jerkey (forget brand name) comes from Washington. Edit 2: Dr Pepper FTW2! Especially real sugar cane Dr. Pepper. I heard you can get the Sugar Cane Dr. Pepper online because one of the bottling plants only makes it with Sugar Cane still due to the owner being adamant about only making theirs with Sugar Cane. Time to research getting real Sugar Cane Dr. Pepper! Feel free to help!

oberto jerky from costco 2 bags for 8- 10 bucks , don't remeber oz size but they are big bags they best deal i have ever found on mass market jerkey. I wish i had some now damn you all..

I love Beef Jerky as well, but out here we don't have authentic mom 'n' pop butcher shops so much so we primarily rely on the big box retailers and super markets. I like the jack link's brand if I have the money and don't really care for brand or anything. Right now, though, I'm trying to cut back on my mainstream beef jerky buying because of the fact that no matter what brand it is, if it is sold in a regular super market or similar type of store, (gas station, convenience store) then it has Sodium Nitrate and that shit is poisonous, or at the very least, carcinogenic. There's a history of that disease in my family, so I'm pretty worried over things like that. Beef jerky is chock full of that garbage. It's almost like eating cigarette because you never really get full from beef jerky, it's a fun treat, and you'll just eat a lot of pieces of it. Now I get my beef jerky from any organic food supermarket like a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc. Doesn't have the Sodium Nitrate and amazingly, they're priced comparatively to super markets on the stuff. it's really not that much more expensive.

Edit:

And I forgot to mention that organic jerky does not contain MSG like so many brands contain. Jack links and others do. I hope I didn't rain in on anyone's beef jerky party or anything.

I usually hit the oberto outlet...(3) 1 lb. bags for $10 for their low-end. Their sales can be great as well.

I still have about 40 bags of turkey jerky left over from a sale on oberto's website in October.
I think it was $1/bag, Free Shipping with $50 and $5 off $75. So yeah, I basically gave away 30 bags as xmas gifts and ate about 5.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I love Beef Jerky as well, but out here we don't have authentic mom 'n' pop butcher shops so much so we primarily rely on the big box retailers and super markets. I like the jack link's brand if I have the money and don't really care for brand or anything. Right now, though, I'm trying to cut back on my mainstream beef jerky buying because of the fact that no matter what brand it is, if it is sold in a regular super market or similar type of store, (gas station, convenience store) then it has Sodium Nitrate and that shit is poisonous, or at the very least, carcinogenic. There's a history of that disease in my family, so I'm pretty worried over things like that. Beef jerky is chock full of that garbage. It's almost like eating cigarette because you never really get full from beef jerky, it's a fun treat, and you'll just eat a lot of pieces of it. Now I get my beef jerky from any organic food supermarket like a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc. Doesn't have the Sodium Nitrate and amazingly, they're priced comparatively to super markets on the stuff. it's really not that much more expensive.

Edit:

And I forgot to mention that organic jerky does not contain MSG like so many brands contain. Jack links and others do. I hope I didn't rain in on anyone's beef jerky party or anything.[/QUOTE]

nah it's cool. you basically just told us that we're all going to get cancer. ;)

[quote name='karmapolice']If you know anyone who hunts try and get them to make you some deer jerkey. Best ever.[/quote]
My dad hunts and I sample a couple of batches per year of his homemade venison jerky. He likes his stuff very dry and it was actually comical how many peppercorns were stuck to each piece. I am sure that I would like it with half the pepper and a little more moisture, but it's a bittersweet thing for me. During my last years at home for highschool all we ate was venison -- stocked about 200 lbs per year in a seperate freezer. Eventually the gamey flavor wore on my palate and I just got tired of eating lean gamey meat. Bring on the beef.

[quote name='J7.']I heard you can get the Sugar Cane Dr. Pepper online because one of the bottling plants only makes it with Sugar Cane still due to the owner being adamant about only making theirs with Sugar Cane. Time to research getting real Sugar Cane Dr. Pepper! Feel free to help![/quote]
Welcome to Dublin, Texas. That bottling plant must be doing crazy business as I've watched sugar cane Dr. Pepper go from obscurity here in Austin to finding it on shelves at Whole Foods and available in the bottle from many restaurants. I recently found sugar cane Dr. Pepper on the self-serve soda fountain at a Jason's Deli. The soda is dispensed ice cold so I fill up my cup with no ice so it doesn't get watered down. All I can drink sugar cane Dr. Pepper.....so delicious.

[quote name='wildnuts02']nah it's cool. you basically just told us that we're all going to get cancer. ;)[/quote]

I know.:cry: I bummed myself out.:cry:

[quote name='Braskley']My dad hunts and I sample a couple of batches per year of his homemade venison jerky.
[/quote]

I'd love to find some of that! :razz:

[quote name='Braskley']
Welcome to Dublin, Texas....[/quote]

$41.77 to have a case of bottles shipped to me. I think I'll pass.

Coke drinkers also claim that sugar coke is better than the stuff made with corn syrup. i honestly don't remember since the change was made in 80s.

I love Jerky but it is a bit expensive my favorite place to go is a little meat shop that usually charges around $10 - $18 a pound depending on the flavor. One flavor that they have that is pretty good is sweet Maui pork jerky and its only $10 a pound. If you live any where near Tacoma / Lakewood area you definitely need to try some

http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=22244420

AA Meats

(253) 588-7979

5116 111th St Sw, Lakewood, WA 98499
Cross Streets: Near the intersection of 111th St SW and Madison St SW

[quote name='wildnuts02']i love beef jerkey. beef jerky is pretty expensive at my local grocery. anyone have hookups for buying it in bulk for cheap?

i like the authentic tasting kind - not that horrible slim jim stuff. thanks[/quote]

prepared, costco is the best deal i know. i always buy it, it's good enough for me, i'm not a jerky snob like some of these other fools paying $30 a pound. for dehydrated meat? Pff! you can get Prime Rib for $10 a pound that you can cut with your fork. but the cheapest way is to buy some flank steak, you know the kind used for carne asada, put your favorite rub on it and throw it in the oven 'til it's jerky. you don't need all that fancy fans and dehumidifiers. do it yourself if you're so crazy about jerky and i'm sure you'll develop a technique to make your jerky just the way you like it. :D

[quote name='Braskley']

Mmmm...jerky.[/quote]

$23 a pound?! damn man, i hope it gives you a blowjay too! you can get prime rib for $10 that'll cut like butter with your fork. why would you pay that much for burnt meat? all you need is $3 a pound flank steak to do the trick. it's all in the rub...:D

There's a dude that use to sell jerky at the bars in my neighborhood...was damn tasty and only $10 for ~12 oz. Plus he had venison jerky for the same price :) Apparently, he wasn't only selling jerky out of that bag, because I heard he got locked up for slinging the rocks. But damn do I miss that Bambi meat.

[quote name='Braskley']My dad hunts and I sample a couple of batches per year of his homemade venison jerky. He likes his stuff very dry and it was actually comical how many peppercorns were stuck to each piece. I am sure that I would like it with half the pepper and a little more moisture, but it's a bittersweet thing for me. During my last years at home for highschool all we ate was venison -- stocked about 200 lbs per year in a seperate freezer. Eventually the gamey flavor wore on my palate and I just got tired of eating lean gamey meat. Bring on the beef.

Welcome to Dublin, Texas. That bottling plant must be doing crazy business as I've watched sugar cane Dr. Pepper go from obscurity here in Austin to finding it on shelves at Whole Foods and available in the bottle from many restaurants. I recently found sugar cane Dr. Pepper on the self-serve soda fountain at a Jason's Deli. The soda is dispensed ice cold so I fill up my cup with no ice so it doesn't get watered down. All I can drink sugar cane Dr. Pepper.....so delicious.[/quote]

Damn it costs as much to ship as it does to buy :cry: . One day I will get it!

[quote name='n8n8baby']There's a dude that use to sell jerky at the bars in my neighborhood...was damn tasty and only $10 for ~12 oz. Plus he had venison jerky for the same price :) Apparently, he wasn't only selling jerky out of that bag, because I heard he got locked up for slinging the rocks. But damn do I miss that Bambi meat.[/quote]
Dude that jerky was laced...

[quote name='dracula']you beat me to it

walmart sounds like a great bet as well[/quote]

Wal-mart jerky is bland, too tough, and just plain blech.

Best I've had for the price is this stuff from BJ's wholesale with a picture of the indian on it. that stuff was tasty. Not the best ever, but you get a pound on the cheap.

I usually just ask classmates at school for some, as most make them. I can usually get from a pound or two for about dollar. Also, if you can shoot and gut the animal, and take it to the meat market, your sure to get a decent discount.

bread's done
Back