Beggar Prince: First New Genesis Title in 8 Years!

ckonze

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
For those who don't know, Beggar Prince is a Sega Genesis RPG that was released in Japan in 1996. It has never seen a U.S. release until this coming December. I kid you not. There is a new Genesis game coming soon! At the moment, I am unsure how much these will retail for, but I honestly can't imagine them holding too hefty a tag. In fact, they may only be sold on the official website, but I would personally love to see this on store shelves. You can check this game out at www.beggarprince.com. So, for those of you CAG's who were too cheap ass to buy any of the next gen systems...your time has come!

Is this game just kind of coming out under the radar or is it actually licensed by sega and is an official genesis release?

[quote name='sevdustflyer']Is this game just kind of coming out under the radar or is it actually licensed by sega and is an official genesis release?[/QUOTE]

It's being published by OlderGames and being developed by C&E Inc. I'm sure it was an officially licenced Sega game when it was released in 1996 in Japan. That's all I know though. There's an article about this game in Vol. 1, Issue 5 of Hardcore Gamer.

I read about this in hardcore gamer, it made me giggle that the name of the kingdom is Shatt, you have to save the kingdom of Shatt!

[quote name='grae60']I read about this in hardcore gamer, it made me giggle that the name of the kingdom is Shatt, you have to save the kingdom of Shatt![/QUOTE]

I think I just Shatt myself!

Im surprised Im the first to say it, but why is this in the Video Game Deals Forum? This should be in the Old School forum.

[quote name='grae60']I read about this in hardcore gamer, it made me giggle that the name of the kingdom is Shatt, you have to save the kingdom of Shatt![/QUOTE]

:lol: With Meatwad in your avatar I can only read that with Meatwad's voice in mind. That makes it even funnier.

[quote name='BIG5']Wouldn't this make more sense as a GBA title?[/QUOTE]

Possibly, but there could be a market for new games on older systems and this may be the start of that. When you consider the fact that companies like Yobo and so forth are releasing new systems that play NES games, this could be a great idea. In fact, because there are so many NES system remakes, I'll bet more people own a system (whether official or not) that plays the original NES cartridges than there are people who own a GameCube. So why not release new NES games as well. I personally would love to see some new SNES games released in the U.S. (Seiken Densetsu 3, Terranigma, Radical Dreamers, etc.). And just for the record, I've had the idea of releasing new games for older systems for years :).

[quote name='gizmogc']Im surprised Im the first to say it, but why is this in the Video Game Deals Forum? This should be in the Old School forum.[/QUOTE]

Three reasons I stuck it here:

1. Being that this game is not the Japanese version, it's technically not "old school" since it's coming out in the future.
2. It's probably *knock on wood* going to be a cheap ass deal since it's a game that will only play on an older system. I really don't see them slapping a $50 price tag on this. I may be wrong though.
3. It encourages/supports those CAG's who are so cheap they won't shell out the money on a next gen system.

I would guess the cost would be in the $25-$30 range.

I think the reason that the game won't be released for the GBA is simply because the game is a Genesis game originally and the company may not have the means to port it to the GBA.

Cartridges weren't cheap to manufacture when they had dedicated production lines cranking them out... It certainly won't be very cheap now. It has to cost something, just to pay for manufacturing costs.

I think Super Fighter team would be happy to break even, they seem to be doing it to get publicity for their company, a development/localization company. If they don't lose their shirts doing this, its not a bad idea, now they can go to other companies and say they have games X, Y, and Z under their belt.

I think Live Arcade on XBL would also be a good venue for their games, it would certainly be cheaper. They probably didn't release it for GBA because of licensing fees... I don't think they're paying Sega any money for this.

Wow, this is a really great idea. I would now love to see some new dreamcast games start showing up in the US rather than just releasing new dc games over in japan.

If this game is on the cheap side as in $20 and under I will probably purchase it.

Hell yeah! I am totally buying this! They have to do this for all old games and systems. There is such a big market for it too.

This is pretty lame, but it did remind me of an old SNES game I played where you got to name your town at the beginning of the game. Being the mature young'n that I was with WAY too much exposure to Beavis and Butthead, I named my town "Dillhole".

To this day I still don't know why it's so amusing to me, but every time you walked into the town there was a guy waiting at the entrance who would say "This is our town, Dillhole!"

Obviously it was supposed to be a statement of great pride and ended up being an insult and a slap in the face to the hero who was fighting so valiantly for this little town.

Like I said, it's probably only funny to me and my sarcastically-minded friend Greg, but I still get a laugh out of that noble patriot's mindless declaration every time I think about it. :)

This site sure is slow on the uptake. I've known about this for months and already decided to buy it. As far as the "logic" of "since this isn't $50 it's a cheap ass deal!" that's a load of bull. It's going to be sold at it's MSRP which isn't any kind of a deal. A pack of gum costs $.25, is that a cheap ass deal? It's not $50!

[quote name='gizmogc']Im surprised Im the first to say it, but why is this in the Video Game Deals Forum? This should be in the Old School forum.[/QUOTE]

Scorch? Where are you....

Agreed, even if people still own an old system there's a decent chance that they A. don't know where it is; b. it doesn't work; c. it's not hooked up, true that isn't a major problem, but it's a minor inconvenience to have to go dig up an old system and connect it. Plus it'd be cheaper to make this as a GBA title, or perhaps to have released it on a current-gen system in a collection of some sort.

Wow, cool. Thanks for the post. I'm glad to have seen it. I'll have to buy it when its released.

I'm GLAD its not a GBA title. Nothing wrong with GBA, its just that if it was a GBA game, that means I'd have to play it on my GBA.

[quote name='chosen1s']
Like I said, it's probably only funny to me and my sarcastically-minded friend Greg, but I still get a laugh out of that noble patriot's mindless declaration every time I think about it. :)[/QUOTE]

Shiiiiiiit. You know Greg too? Oh man oh man. We should chill with a 12 rack of Miller Lites some time, man.

If it was posted in the Old School forum, it wouldn't be getting nearly as much attention as it's getting here.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56221

If I'm not mistaken, the price was posted by a member of the localization team on the Digital Press forums. I think it was either $29.99 or $39.99, I'm not sure. Their forums are down now so I can't check.

Yes, but that would make it less hardcore and available to more people.

[quote name='AtlusParker']This site sure is slow on the uptake. I've known about this for months and already decided to buy it. As far as the "logic" of "since this isn't $50 it's a cheap ass deal!" that's a load of bull. It's going to be sold at it's MSRP which isn't any kind of a deal. A pack of gum costs $.25, is that a cheap ass deal? It's not $50![/QUOTE]

Maybe, but how many packs of gum have you seen for $50. Games presently being released for the next gen systems as well as Genesis games that were released when the Genesis was a next gen system do and did go for $50. That's where your analogy falls short.
Anyhow...I'm done trying to defend that this thread belongs in this forum. Cheapy D is well within his rights (being his site and all) to move this thread on over to the Old School forum if he feels so inclined. Until then, let's all try to stay on topic please.

[quote name='Zenithian Legend']Agreed, even if people still own an old system there's a decent chance that they A. don't know where it is; b. it doesn't work; c. it's not hooked up, true that isn't a major problem, but it's a minor inconvenience to have to go dig up an old system and connect it. Plus it'd be cheaper to make this as a GBA title, or perhaps to have released it on a current-gen system in a collection of some sort.[/QUOTE]
They'd have to pay licensing fees to Nintendo if they wanted to release it on the GBA, plus they'd have to port the game to the GBA. It was originally a Chinese Genesis game, they just localized it. I don't think they're paying Sega any money, and I don't think they have the capability to port it themselves to the GBA. Maybe if its moderately successful, they can find a publisher interested in bringing it to the GBA.

Pricing info:
Beggar Prince will retail at $40.00 per copy. Each copy will consist of a high-quality color instruction manual and a professionally produced cartridge (NTSC & PAL compatible) enclosed within a plastic clam-shell case complete with color insert.
Half this thread just stopped caring, I bet.

[quote name='Scott']Pricing info:Half this thread just stopped caring, I bet.[/QUOTE]
Ouch... I might still have to buy it, if I think quantities are limited. If it seems like the price is going to come down at all, I'll probably wait.

Well...if I consider that Phantasy Star 4 was selling for $99.99 at release on the Genesis at the local Toys R' Us way back when, it seems to be a reasonable price in comparison.

Still, I'll wait and see. I'm more of a gamer than a collector so the majority of the $40 is going to be going towards having something worthwhile to play and enjoy.

[quote name='gizmogc']Originally Posted by gizmogc
Im surprised Im the first to say it, but why is this in the Video Game Deals Forum? This should be in the Old School forum.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='gizmogc']Scorch? Where are you.... [/QUOTE]

lol, quoting your own reply ....

[quote name='mcgavin27']wow, 39.99. I think I can wait then.[/QUOTE]

What, do you think you're going to find it anywhere else, for cheaper? For one of the most interesting collector's items to come along in years, I don't think $40 is that bad.

[quote name='ckonze']Maybe, but how many packs of gum have you seen for $50. Games presently being released for the next gen systems as well as Genesis games that were released when the Genesis was a next gen system do and did go for $50. That's where your analogy falls short.[/QUOTE]Maybe where yours does.

Forgetting that the game is retailing for $40 which definitely does not qualify it as a "cheap ass deal", even at $20-30 it's not "cheap ass" considering it's a dead system and we get current games for current systems that retail within that price point (Both Katamari games, Phantom Dust, most GBA titles). It wasn't a "cheap ass deal" then and it most definitely isn't now. Good thing it's in the right forum now.

Eh

I paid $40 on the new copy of Persona 2 debacle. This is much cooler IMO

I'm watching for a release too. I expected a much (>$60) higher price.

Related news story on 1up:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3143041

Beggar Prince, OlderGames' 36-meg RPG for the Sega Genesis, is an example of a game that was "lost and found" and is just seeing release now. A collection of enthusiasts called Super Fighter Team picked up the 1996 Taiwanese Genesis RPG, gave it a proper English translation, and are now publishing it through OlderGames, which handles manufacturing, distribution and the like. OlderGames splits the proceeds 50/50 with the developers.

bread's done
Back