Belkin n52te Tournament Edition SpeedPad - $29.99 + $5 SH from woot.com

egonpax

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Belkin n52te Tournament Edition SpeedPad

woot.com has the Belkin n52te Tournament Edition SpeedPad (New) for $29.99 + $5 Shipping

Reminder/FYI: Woot.com deals only last 24 hours so it'll change by 12AM tonight 1/17. (I believe CST since they're located in TX.)

Newegg.com has the same for $69.99 + $8.26 SH.

1. This is the same as the Razer Nostromo.
2. This has been confirmed to work in Win7 64bit even though they don't officially support it. Apparently just use the Vista drivers and it works fine. Also you can apparently use Razer's drivers which work fine.
3. I've read that people love this for FPS's, MMO's and even Photoshop and CAD programs.

Taken from woot.com

1. I have large hands and long fingers, and I can still use it comfortably. I have the rest at the furthest distance. You can adjust the hand/palm rest
2. It works completely fine on Windows 7 64-bit.
3. The thumbstick looking thing is an eight-way D-pad; you can remove the thumbstick circle if you want (leaving a regular looking D-pad), but I prefer to leave it in.
4. The LEDs CAN be turned off, via a switch on the bottom. The three led profile lights cannot, however. The blue is very bright in a dark room, and the red and green profiles are less so.
5. It is definitely a left-hand-gamepad. If you use your mouse on the right, the you will be fine. That doesn't mean it's not for lefties, it just depends on how you game (all of my southpaw gamer friends still use mouse on the right.)
Sales pitch of what this is and what it can do for those who're wondering.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of these that I use with Windows 7 64 Bit and it works just fine. I absolutely love this thing though, great for people who don't have "gaming" keyboards. It does take a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty sweet.

[quote name='tooshorty6432168']I have one of these that I use with Windows 7 64 Bit and it works just fine. I absolutely love this thing though, great for people who don't have "gaming" keyboards. It does take a little getting used to, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input. I'm just trying to decide if I should get one or two (for my wife and me) for our long Minecraft sessions. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
They're pretty slick, and this is a great price for it. I paid like $60 for mine and always use it. It does take a while to get used to, but if you can get through the learning curve you won't want to use a standard keyboard anymore.

Sweet. I've always wanted one of these since well, the original speedpad. Was eyeballing this again recently after trying to play Crysis and finding hopping around on my keyboard too challenging.

Yeah I said it was hard.

Good looking out OP.

[quote name='FurryCurry']Sweet. I've always wanted one of these since well, the original speedpad. Was eyeballing this again recently after trying to play Crysis and finding hopping around on my keyboard too challenging.

Yeah I said it was hard.

Good looking out OP.[/QUOTE]

Haha no prob.

I went ahead and picked up 2. I figured if my wife doesn't like or use it I'll have a backup. Used coupon "TAXSUCKS" for a discount since I get charged tax here in TX (only on orders $45 and over.)

Got one of these for Christmas from the wife. When I first plugged it in, I was thinking that "this was never going to work", since it felt so alien and different.

Took about a day or two to get used to it, and now I can't go back. the main advantage is having a 4-way D-pad (can be used at 8, but I'm not sure it or I are accurate enough for that) and an extra button at your thumb while still being able to strike the spacebar with it (again, after some practice, since it felt unnatural at first).

I generally map things like map, inventory screen, weapon swaps, etc, to the d-pad. Though in a couple games, iv'e actually used it for wasd movement and opened up more keys at my fingertips for other functions. It comes with small shove-in nub to make it more joystick like, but it is slippery as hell and I took it out. Though I may get a grip-it or FPS freek or something to put on it and give it another go at some point.
The single button at your thumb makes a great modifier key (shift, alt, ctrl, what have you) , or in some games that do not use modifier keys, I will map it as the "use" key.

So is the consensus that this can use Razer drivers for ongoing updates and this is likely just Razer unloading old inventory of stock that is Belkin branded?

[quote name='turls']So is the consensus that this can use Razer drivers for ongoing updates and this is likely just Razer unloading old inventory of stock that is Belkin branded?[/QUOTE]

I've read a post on woot.com that says that the LATEST Razer drivers/software will not work with Win7 64bit.

I believe this item has been discontinued and will be replaced with a newer version, however, people have said that it isn't updated that much.

But there were just driver updates in December and January on the Razer pages--unless I'm looking at it wrong. I didn't go through all the non-gamer posts on Woot to research. If it works with the Razer drivers, its worth it for the cost I think. I already have the n52 and the Zboard Fang, and neither one of those get great driver updates.

[quote name='turls']But there were just driver updates in December and January on the Razer pages--unless I'm looking at it wrong. I didn't go through all the non-gamer posts on Woot to research. If it works with the Razer drivers, its worth it for the cost I think. I already have the n52 and the Zboard Fang, and neither one of those get great driver updates.[/QUOTE]

I posted up the question on woot to see if anyone responds. Why exactly do you need the driver updates? For future-proofing for when Win8 comes out? I thought after you program it then it's saved on the device itself? And I don't know if this will suit you since you already have the n52 and Fang.

thanks op. i read this thing works wonders with digital painting/photoshop keyboard shortcuts. i have the original N52 already but i wanted this one for the backlighting as i tend to work in the dark.

[quote name='egonpax']I posted up the question on woot to see if anyone responds. Why exactly do you need the driver updates? For future-proofing for when Win8 comes out? I thought after you program it then it's saved on the device itself? And I don't know if this will suit you since you already have the n52 and Fang.[/QUOTE]

Well, besides the same reason you'd want driver updates for any hardware, they usually come out with new profiles for new games so you don't have to come up with them from scratch all the time. I know many people don't care about that, but I want more of a plug and play solution.

In for one. I'd been thinking about picking up the Razer version for a while, but if you guys are right about the drivers, this will do just fine!

Plus, I finally used my coupon from my cancelled Buttkicker order 4 years ago!

[quote name='turls']Well, besides the same reason you'd want driver updates for any hardware, they usually come out with new profiles for new games so you don't have to come up with them from scratch all the time. I know many people don't care about that, but I want more of a plug and play solution.[/QUOTE]

Ah. I've never owned this and did not realize they had profiles for games, but that would be convenient.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']In for one. I'd been thinking about picking up the Razer version for a while, but if you guys are right about the drivers, this will do just fine!

Plus, I finally used my coupon from my cancelled Buttkicker order 4 years ago![/QUOTE]

Well bad news as far as the LATEST Razer drivers according to a poster on woot, apparently the Razer drivers DO NOT work. The Razer software doesn't recognize the n52te. I wonder if we can petition Razer to add support for it! Probably not.

[quote name='technicalstylez']thanks op. i read this thing works wonders with digital painting/photoshop keyboard shortcuts. i have the original N52 already but i wanted this one for the backlighting as i tend to work in the dark.[/QUOTE]

Just found out that the old n52 profiles do not work with the new n52te. You'll have to recreate them all. Which is lame for those in that situation. Just a warning.

Ya, I have an n52 I got from a thrift store last year for $1.50!! Anyways, I just wanted to remind people that you can have 3 separate button layouts configured at the same time with a toggle button to switch between, which is great for setting up macros or if you really need more buttons.

Thanks OP. I've always been curious about these things and after buying a ton of games from the Steam Holiday sale, this would come in handy.

I had the model before this one and loved it when I played MMO's. Still considering picking this one up, but there's nothing wrong with my old one :(

Awesome - I've been thinking about getting a separate WASD pad for my M11x, and I think this will work out just perfectly. Thanks OP!

damn just ordered missed out on the $5 off..

Been wanting something that allows thumbstick for moving your character and mouse for aiming in PC games.

[quote name='jer7583']damn just ordered missed out on the $5 off..

Been wanting something that allows thumbstick for moving your character and mouse for aiming in PC games.[/QUOTE]

Don't worry about it man, I couldn't get the
CHANGEYOURPASSWORD discount to work either, so it might be YMMV.

Now I want to get a keyboard/mouse adapter for my
PS3/360 to use this on. :)

[quote name='egonpax']Well bad news as far as the LATEST Razer drivers according to a poster on woot, apparently the Razer drivers DO NOT work. The Razer software doesn't recognize the n52te. I wonder if we can petition Razer to add support for it! Probably not.[/QUOTE]

So basically an orphaned product, which makes this deal lukewarm at best.

[quote name='turls']So basically an orphaned product, which makes this deal lukewarm at best.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

I already ordered one of these in impulse, then read about the problems with Windows 7 and asked them to cancel my order (which they did). I then read that many people have gotten it working with Windows 7 in spite of the problems, so I placed another order. Then I started thinking that maybe I should get a second one (one for the desktop and one for the laptop) since this is essentially a 2-for-1 deal at this price.

Then your comment helped me realize that unless I really need 2 of these right now (which I don't) it is far better to wait until I really need & want another and then I'll just buy the latest and greatest at that time, which will definitely be something that is fully supported on Win 7 and improves upon this model (which it sounds like the newer Razor Nostromo does).

Good prices aren't always good deals.

Pretty sure the passwords are tied to your account. The CHANGEYOURPASSWORD one is from the Kotaku nonsense, and I think they sent you one if your email was used on Kotaku and Woot.

I used KICKER from my cancelled Buttkicker order from years ago and it worked, but I bet it won't for anybody else.

I meant to add this to the convo yesterday, but for those who did order this and are worried about the whole drivers issue:

Taken from woot.com

Unless you are configuring the unit, there is NO NEED for the drivers, or any Razer software, or any Belkin software.

Just plug it in. It will be seen by the OS (Windows, or Linux, or Mac) as a generic Human Interface Device, and will work immediately.

If your game lets you remap keys it isn't as big of an issue, but if you need the Belkin/Razer software for that type of configuration that's where you might have an issue now or in the future. I've never used my n52 or Fang without drivers, so I'm not sure what else would be an issue, but its not as simple as there being "NO NEED" for drivers (I saw that post on Woot as well).

Bottom line, if it was an actual Razer Nostromo with old branding (OP did state "same as"), this is a decent deal, if its orphaned from Belkin who obviously is not going to support it it is somewhat less than that. I did order one before I heard it wasn't really the same, but I'm a sucker for these keyboard replacements and have multiple gaming PCs to experiment with different ones. I've been hit or miss with Woot since 2005, so we'll see.

[quote name='drbutchevil']Mine arrived today. I really like it so far.[/QUOTE]

Are you using Windows 7? I ended up cancelling my order because I was worried about the compatibility issues, so now I'm curious if I made the right decision.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Are you using Windows 7? I ended up cancelling my order because I was worried about the compatibility issues, so now I'm curious if I made the right decision.[/QUOTE]

Yup, no problems.

bread's done
Back