Belkin Nostromo N50 $9.99 at Big Lots (PC Controller)

sark45

CAGiversary!
B&M
I found a ton of Nostromo N50 Pc game controllers at my local Big Lots for $9.99 this is a good deal because these babies run 34.95 on Belkin's website.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Product_Id=107727
These are for fans of really cool PC controllers this is one off the most interesting. I like it's design better than the Nostromo N52 it's newer version. I only bought one but i could buy more and ebay them if someone wants.

THESE ARE PC ONLY!!!! USB

I should have reported this deal... saw one that was "compatible with the PS2" (unless I read it wrong!) up there as well at the Henderson, KY Big Lots, YMMV of course. Seems interesting; I should read the package in more detail if I see it again.

This seems like quite an interesting device. It looks like the d-pad would be akward to use though. Is that adjustable?

PC only, eh? Either I am a total dumbass (most likely answer) or that was a different controller I was looking at in my neck of the woods.

Still an excellent deal, and I wish I would have thought to mention it.

The N50 is very nice because you can download the N52's newer software and then use it to map any part of the N50 to any keyboardkey (including the D-pad). I am very happy with this find it, but it will take some working with to get used to.
"BUT" I like weird PC controllers! sothis is not for everyone: i own the microsoft trackball optical, the monstergecko pistol mouse, the sidewinder strategic commander, and modified an X-box controller to hook to my computer (it maps keyboard keys also!!!.

I had one of these, but stopped using it; too damned uncomfortable. I ended up getting a Playstation-to-USB adapter at Radio Shack for ten bucks, and that works perfectly.

I have the N52 (the update to the N50) and I had the N50 previously. It is a great device for certain types of games. For me a regular keyboard gets too confusing in fast paced games, especially when the keys are spread out. I have used the N52 for FPS & MMORPG's (WOW & DAOC). You can map all the buttons to whatever you like, plus you can make macros for multiple button presses.

[quote name='Sailorneorune']PC only, eh? Either I am a total dumbass (most likely answer) or that was a different controller I was looking at in my neck of the woods.

Still an excellent deal, and I wish I would have thought to mention it.[/QUOTE]
Maybe it was PS/2?(The mouse port)

[quote name='Sailorneorune']PC only, eh? Either I am a total dumbass (most likely answer) or that was a different controller I was looking at in my neck of the woods.

Still an excellent deal, and I wish I would have thought to mention it.[/QUOTE]

You probably saw "PS/2 compatible" on the side of the box. That's the older version of mouse hookup before USB became so popular. You can still find some PS/2 stuff around, its just not as widely used.

I have the N52 as well. Great device and incredibly handy even for non gaming functions.
Id say I still think the N52>N50 since it has more buttons (thereby more options) but you can do the bulk of what you need with two rows of keys. Im only just learning how to consistantly bang the middle keys on time (so I map low level functions to them)
For $10 its a no brainer. Get the 50 and ebay it if you dislike it.

I own the N50 -- I got it as a gift when I never even knew what one was.

Damn fine piece of hardware. I was wary at first, but have found it to be great for the PC version of Medal of Honor or just about any FPS title. Well made and easy to use, even for Mac users.

[quote name='amusedtoe']So I don't end up wandering Big Lots clueless what section (do they have sections?) did you guys find it in?[/QUOTE]

I doubt it's in the toy section and there's usually only one electronics/computing section.

No luck at the first Big Lots in the area, all they had were the N30 mouses. Gonna try another tomorrow, hopefully they'll have em.

I found them in the normal electronics section at my local Big Lots , there orangeish packages that say Belkin Speedpad in big letters and if you look closely Nostromo N50 Nostromo in little tiny letters Ha very helpful boxes (Not!!). My Big Lot had an entire case maybe 10. All on the very top shelf.
It looks like they also recieved a case of N45? ps2 controllers about the same time...you don't want those they suck!!!!!

How much were those N30 Mice? your Biglots had those? there supposed to have some kind of goofy touch technology are those any good? Thy are still 45.99 on Belkin's site.

[quote name='sark45']How much were those N30 Mice? your Biglots had those? there supposed to have some kind of goofy touch technology are those any good? Thy are still 45.99 on Belkin's site.[/QUOTE]

Mine had the n30 for 9.99, they were OOS on the n50. I bought the mouse, only to find out that the Immersion gaming software (that actually makes it useful in games that don't already have native force-feedback) is not included, and it's 29.99 on immersion.com's website. What a rip. Imagine the poor saps that paid full retail for this and found out they had to spend another $30...that's probably why it's at big lots.

The software that comes with it is the desktop version, it makes the mouse blip and vibrate when scrolling through menus, dragging windows, etc. It's a subtle effect, and some of the blips can barely be felt, but after playing with it for a while, I kinda like it.

My Big Lots didn't have N50s. But they had the P45 for PS2 for $7.99.

I googled up some reviews, and generally the reviews were average. But they are programmable, so they're probably worth a $7.99 investment if you just wanted a cheap pad that supports macros.

blah i coudlnt find them in the dallas area. but i only checked 2 =( if anyone sees them in dallas please post which store.

I drove to the next town tonight to hit a TRU for the green tag sale, and there was a Big Lots next door to the TRU. So after wiping out TRU, I went next door and found a bunch of N50s. I only bought one, but if I like it, I'll go back next week and buy another.

Thanks OP!

-Dm

bread's done
Back