best 22-24" monitor for gaming?

Wanderlai

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
I've been looking around and I've seen these deals:

Dell 2209WA e-IPS LCD monitor for around $215 plus tax and free shipping depending on which Dell sales person you get. Is this one good for gaming?

http://www1.la.dell.com/content/pro...onitor-dell-2209wa?c=pa&cs=pabsdt1&l=en&s=bsd

ViewSonic X Series VX2433wm is $219 at Costco. Info via Newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116401

HannsG 28" for $329 at Costco

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...topnav=&cat=62021&hierPath=62021*&lang=en-US#

Any other suggestions? Budget $300.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the Viewsonic from Costco. I got it this week and I love it. I haven't noticed any negative effects like ghosting or banding. There is some light bleed around the edges but that's to be expected and it's not distracting. The image is very bright and colorful and there are lots of options for making adjustments. Plus, since it's Costco, you can return it no problem if you don't like it.

I purchased 24'' Samsung 245BW from Costco a year ago this month, but only after I returned two other LCDs because they sucked (one was an HP).

I'll never go back to non-widescreen or CRTs, which I used religiously for many years because of all the negative things I heard about the first generation of LCDs.

I'd avoid the 28''. Even though the screen is larger, the image won't be as sharp. My 24'' has the same resolution (1920x1200) over a smaller area.

do all the lcd's that support 1920x1200 also support 1920x1080?

I use dual monitor with lcd tv which is at 1080p so i would want my regular lcd at the same resolution

Yes, but you want to make sure you get a model that supports 1:1 scaling or else you'll have a stretched image.

[quote name='guyver2077']do all the lcd's that support 1920x1200 also support 1920x1080?

I use dual monitor with lcd tv which is at 1080p so i would want my regular lcd at the same resolution[/quote]

[quote name='Serik']
I'd avoid the 28''. Even though the screen is larger, the image won't be as sharp. My 24'' has the same resolution (1920x1200) over a smaller area.[/quote]It's really a matter of preference. Some people don't like the higher pixel density of a smaller screen with a high resolution, some do. I think the biggest problem he might have with the hanns g is the viewing angle, which TN panels are the worst with. I don't think I would go bigger than 24" maybe 26" on a TN panel unless you know you will keep your head centered with the monitor.

[quote name='Kayden']Yes, but you want to make sure you get a model that supports 1:1 scaling or else you'll have a stretched image.[/quote]

NVIDIA's control panel handles scaling nicely, which is the main reason I bought one of their cards. For some reason, ATI's control panel can't or won't do it effectively, and the SyncMaster doesn't have auto-scaling. You need a lot of horsepower to run games at 1920x1200, so I sometimes scale them down to lower resolution, even if some of my screen space is wasted. I spent many weeks researching auto-scaling because I was paranoid about older games being stretched to 16:10. Anyone know if ATI's control panel has stopped sucking, or was it just my particular card?

TF2, however, runs beautifully at 1920x1200 and max settings on my rig.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001268&Tpk=2253bw

I have a 2253bw monitor by Samsung. It has a very slight light bleed around the edges but it's only noticeable when I have the screen entirely black. I've heard that some people have a more noticeable light bleed though.

It has a max resolution of 1680x1050, 16:10, 2ms refresh, it's actually 22 inches, and an advertised 8000:1 contrast. The stand is not adjustable at all if that is a deal breaker for you.

So far I like the monitor a lot. Blu-rays look crisp on on it and HD tech demos look great. It works great for games that are fast moving and is easily adjustable with Nvidias software. The buttons on the monitor are behind a plastic lip so physical adjustment of the settings can be a pain but as I said about Nvidias software you only really need to use the on/off button.

So from what I'm hearing the Dell 2209WA IPS isnt a good choice due to it not doing 1:1, it has a 6ms response time, and its only 1680 x 1050. I almost ordered this one yesterday but there isnt much gaming feedback on it yet. Most reviews I've seen say its the best 22" monitor out there.

The HannsG is too big at 28" for a TN monitor since it is 1920 x 1200, which is the same as most 24" monitors.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I may be more confused now than I was before so I may go the Costco route and try out a few sets to find the one I like.

bread's done
Back