Best ancient/pagan religions?

Full_Throttle

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
I'm required to read Mythology by Edith Hamilton for school, and despite the somewhat dry way its written, I'm enjoying it. It's reminding me of all of the awesome ancient beliefs there were. So, which one is the best/most badass?

I guess Ancient Egyptian, Norse, Greek/Roman, North American, South American, Australian, and Oriental just about sum it up. Pick between those.

I vote Norse because they have this mentality of "We're all going to die, may as well make the best of it" and even their gods are mortal, per se.

[quote name='Moxio']Poseidon > Neptune
Zeus > Jupiter

:cool:[/QUOTE]
Astrologists didn't think so. :cool:

[quote name='Brak']Roman's gave the gods better names.[/quote]

Personally I don't agree, yet I see how the argument could be made with Zeus & Co.

However you have to admit they just got plain lazy with Yahweh.

OP - it seems kinda kooky to include ancient-to-modern beliefs such as "Asian-Oriental" but then fail to mention others such as "Indian", or "Abrahamic". And I def think you have a big omission in "Arabian folklore" (Genies, Aladdin, Sinbad)

Norse mythology is very interesting as its a very dark, fatalistic mythos compared to many other pagan religions. There also seems to be a lot of parallels to Christianity (e.g. Ragnarok = Day of Judgment, Baldur = Christ etc.) and I'm not sure why that would have come about.

Greek Religion. EVERY story involves some family member banging another family member and that offspring killing of one or the other parent. Even Heracles killed off his whole family! That makes for some entertaining stories. If you haven't read the Greek myths they're highly entertaining but incredibly gory. If we converted all of them 1:1 to modern times they'd be lucky to get an R rating.

I am not saying this to be "provocative", or anything, but the Bible is pretty awesome. Its got God wresstlin', lots of incest, violence, and it kinda cool to see all the ancient myths come together.

[quote name='Magehart'] Even Heracles killed off his whole family! [/quote]

I don't remember that in the movie....
hercules_box.jpg

I'm really surprised to see that
the Norse are winning. I am hoping to get involved in this Ragnarok, Valhalla sounds pretty badass to be honest.
Personally, I think it's all about the Oriental. A good portion of our generic video game foes are based off of the Japanese mythology. Here's a good list to supplement my point:
Legendary Creatures from Japan
Some homages to video games:
Koopa = Kappa
Demons = Oni
Ninetails = Kyūbi-no-kitsune

[quote name='Magus8472']Celtic. Gaels, Britons, Gauls, etc.

Pretty interesting, and (look at the poll) oft-forgotten.[/quote]

Aye, I forgot to add those. But I wouldn't consider them so much "ancient", seeing as they came later in the years. Beowulf was what, 400 CE?

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Aye, I forgot to add those. But I wouldn't consider them so much "ancient", seeing as they came later in the years. Beowulf was what, 400 CE?[/QUOTE]

All though religions co-existed with the Romans, so if you consider Roman mythology "ancient" then those are too.

I wouldn't consider Beowulf a "myth", it's more of a stand alone epic.

[quote name='Full_Throttle']Aye, I forgot to add those. But I wouldn't consider them so much "ancient", seeing as they came later in the years. Beowulf was what, 400 CE?[/QUOTE]

It's more recent than that, but I'm not talking about Anglo-Saxon culture here. I'm referring to the Celtic cultures that predate them in the British Isles/Western Europe. Their development extends from several centuries before the dawn of Roman civilization right up through it. In fact, one of the better known contemporary accounts of the Druidic tradition is Julius Caesar's.

And besides, Beowulf is a Swede. :p

bread's done
Back