Best and Worst moments in gaming in these past 10 years

Chadfx

CAGiversary!
Hello my fellow Cags, as we inch our way towards 2010, I ask you to leave a reply of the best and worst moments in gaming during these 10 years. you can talk about your own personal succes story or perhaps a horrific moment you have experienced while gaming. Personally the best gaming moment i witnessed was when Cheapy and Wombat came together to form the Cag site and podcast both of which I cherish very much. I would like to thank cheapy and womobat for working really hard on the cag cast and hopefully many more years of laughter and happiness. feel free to leave any comment you want and have a great new year.

A) You witnessed them do that?

B) Cheapy had the site up and running for a few months before Wombat was involved.

Anywho, the best thing to happen in gaming in the past 10 years is the creation of Xbox Live. The worst is Bayonetta.

Best: New consoles and CAG.
Worst: Video games being a scapegoat for everything wrong in the world.

Best: Playing KOTR
Worst: Finding out KOTR is now an mmo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please tell me you didn't call the CAGcast one of the best things to happen to video games in the past decade.

I was expecting a moments in gaming thread to talk about you know when you were gaming and an awesome moment happened like when I killed 8 people in a row in Halo 3 or something like that.

Id say this is one of the funniest for me, but the rest of you would probably consider it fairly gay.....

Back in the late 90's when the nWo was at its height of popularity with WcW....The group of friends I had at the time were extremely entertained with it.

When they released WcW vs. nWo, WcW Revenge etc etc for the N64, we took the gaming serious enough that we bought the wrestling action figures that had title belts and used those with us to show who the champ was etc etc....

I was always Kevin Nash and a friend of mine was using Rick Steiner to try and take my "belt" from me.
The easiest way to explain what this guy looked and almost acted like is the guy from Baseketball that they called Squeak and Bitch....

Anyhoo....he was dangerously close to beating me when one of our other friends came by and said "OMG! nWo interferes!" and turns the N64 off.....

So while the gay comments will come after me posting this, it was definately a gaming moment that always makes me laugh.

and for the record, yes I know it was just over a decade ago so you anal posters will probably also try and bitch that I thought of something that went a year or two past a "decade"...well fuck you.

[quote name='Maklershed']A) You witnessed them do that?

B) Cheapy had the site up and running for a few months before Wombat was involved.

Anywho, the best thing to happen in gaming in the past 10 years is the creation of Xbox Live. The worst is Bayonetta.[/QUOTE]

It was years before Wombat became involved.

worst: multiple systems over the life span of a console/portable. 3 DSs, 2 PS2s, 2 PS3s, many xbox skus, new colors for the wii, 2 psps, most GBAs than I can think of...

and to make matters worse, im a sucker.

Overall industry best I'll say the PS2. There are just too many great RPGs for PS2 for me to go with anything else.

Worst:

Definitely the continued slow torturous death of PC Gaming. I could rant all day about this but PC gaming is on life support and without MMOs probably would be dead already. I've been a PC Gamer a long long time and I miss the days when a game like Dragon Age would be one among many great PC games during a year instead of a few. When most genres weren't either dead or on life support. When games did not have sacrifices made during creation so the PC version could look and play the same as the console one. Don't get me wrong I love my console games too. I've been playing those even longer than my first PC but I like that they were different. The consolidation and sameness has me buying less and less PC games and that makes me very sad.

For my personal best gaming moment I'll got with this:

I think it might be a bit over the 10 year mark, but way back when I used to play Battletech on AOL I beat 4 people using hacked Atlases (100 tons each) using only a Jenner (30 tons). Of course if you don't know the Battletech universe this would be pretty meaningless to you. Mechs in that game ranged from 20-100 tons based on their arms/armor and the hacks allowed the Atlases to fly among other things. Either way it was fun to beat a bunch of cheaters in a fight they should have won even fair and square.

[quote name='Will']

Anyhoo....he was dangerously close to beating me when one of our other friends came by and said "OMG! nWo interferes!" and turns the N64 off.....[/QUOTE]

I laughed. Well played.

Still, how did you almost lose using Nash? Couldn't you have just booked yourself to win regardless of the odds?

[quote name='Will']Anyhoo....he was dangerously close to beating me when one of our other friends came by and said "OMG! nWo interferes!" and turns the N64 off.....[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

As a long time wrestling fan, I can truly appreciate this!

[quote name='Halo05']I laughed. Well played.

Still, how did you almost lose using Nash? Couldn't you have just booked yourself to win regardless of the odds?[/QUOTE]

ZING!....Its been yrs since I played the game but if I remember correctly Rick Steiner had some slam move or something that was easy to pull off and it f'd you up quickly....I was in tears from laughing so hard and my friend just got up and left....it really was priceless.

[quote name='Ryukahn']As a long time wrestling fan, I can truly appreciate this! [/quote]

No doubt...when I think about it, it still cracks me up almost the same as the day it happened.

Worst - Sega's transformation from cutting-edge developer/arthouse studio to mere Sonic factory, the Wii drowning in a sea of shovelware, the domination of sequels over original IPs.

Best - The standardization of online multiplayer and features by Xbox Live and Seganet, console releases coming closer in quality to PC releases, the good deals: it's a good time to be a CAG.

Best-Resident Evil 4 coming along and restoring my faith in video games.

Worst- The Wii. Everything about it. I bought one, the hype and novelty faded, and now it just sits in a bin in (seussical!) my room. The worst part is, I fell for the wii fit also, and was let down again. Nintendos ability to sell thier bullshit astounds me, I know so many parents that bought the wii and it just sits idle now. I'm not trolling, that is just my OPINION. If you like the wii, I'm happy for you.

Best Moment - When 3 consoles came out and it gave the consumer lots of choices of games to play

Worst Moment - Duke Nukem Forever fiasco

Best: "Rise and shine Mr. Freeman"

Worst: Battlefront III getting the axe.

I'm sure there are better and worse, these are just off the top of my head.

Best: The move from video games being seen as a way to entertain the pre-teen/young adults, to being seen as form of entertainment that people of any age can enjoy. This was made most prevalent with the expansion of the handheld markets. The GBA, but even more so, the DS expanded the thought that gaming can be done on the go, with other people, while still appealing to a younger crowd. The PSP fills the other void where it has been marketed more towards young adults and adults on the go considering its internet capabilities, add on GPS unit and movie playback. These two products expanded the way we think about video games currently, and allowed us to take what we love with us so we didn't need to be glued to the TV screen.

Worst: The combination of bigger studios buying out smaller ones, only to cancel games amidst the merger or because of monetary trouble. (EA and Acti-blizzard, I am looking at you!) or the number of great gaming studios we have lost because of buyouts/closures or the recent turmoils of the economy. (Acclaim, Ion Storm, Pandemic, Ensemble, Clover and others).

I have a short term memory.

The worst: Modern Warfare 2 bullshit. Hopefully companies won't "learn" from Infinity Ward.

The best: Finally beating the last level of Trine with my brother as we did everything we could to get the other killed.

Hopes for the future: More local co-op/splitscreen PC games.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Best: "Would you kindly?"[/QUOTE]

Would I kindly what?

[One of the] Best: The resurgence of 2D & platformers. A Boy and His Blob, The Klonoa remake, Muramasa, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Wario Land: Shake It, and Mega Man 9 have all been fantastic.

[Also One of the] Best: The Wii. It's so nice to have a console this generation that's almost entirely the other games. The quirky stuff that you don't find on the PS3 or 360 because they're too big of a financial risk to take. Stuff like The Munchables, de Blob, Rabbids Go Home, and Excitebots: Trick Racing. All titles that you wouldn't see in the mature-focused, "too afraid to have bright colors for fear of being called gay" shooter-crammed 360 marketplace. Nintendo regaining it's place on the top for this generation on both the console and handheld fronts, as well. They simply make the best games and deserve every penny they're getting because they took a chance and tried something different. How boring would have this generation been if Nintendo made the DS a standard handheld like the GBA but with better graphics? How boring would the console race be if the Wii was just like the PS3 and 360? It's nice to see someone with a set in this industry and they're reaping the benefits for it.

Worst: As mentioned, the Sega Dreamcast's early folding. Sega do so many things right. Online Gaming, the VMU, fantastic graphics (That are in many cases still unsurpassed) and so on. I was so pissed when the then-shit PS2 was coasting by on false hype and "OMG IT PLAYS DVDS".

the worst was when Kojima retconned the entire story of MGS4 at the end by bringing Big Boss back to life and making your entire support team from MGS3 the Patriots. Then Snake doesn't die...he goes to some island somewhere and records his memoirs. they totally screwed up that game.

It's even worse for the fact that the entire game is filled with "worst moments in gaming" up until that point. Johnny and Meryl proposing marriage in a gun fight, Naomi not shutting the fuck up ever, Sunny being Sunny, the corny beauty and the beast characters, the 2 hour cutscenes, the 6 hours total of gameplay, and the slowest, boringest online MP I've ever seen...MGS4 is probably the worst sequel ever.

[quote name='maximumzero']

Worst: As mentioned, the Sega Dreamcast's early folding. Sega do so many things right. Online Gaming, the VMU, fantastic graphics (That are in many cases still unsurpassed) and so on. I was so pissed when the then-shit PS2 was coasting by on false hype and "OMG IT PLAYS DVDS".[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Don't forget, some of the DC games also had voice chat support as well.

My worst moment was experiencing the ps2's answer to online gaming: that overpriced piece of shit game FFXI that came bundled with that brick of a hard drive that was never used for anything else.

Best: I hate to sound like a fanboy, but the Dreamcast, and its quirky online games that were like digital crack. Phantasy Star Online, Bomberman, Alien Front Online, etc., so sad to see that Sega scrapped it.

[quote name='ninja dog'] Then Snake doesn't die...he goes to some island somewhere and records his memoirs.[/QUOTE]

Wait... are you joking or something? I seriously do not remember this part.

Worst moment: Sony and MS both seriously fucking up this gen between pricing and shoddy hardware

Best moment: Me finding CAG almost 5 years ago while doing a search for 'cheap games' on the internet

Of course, me finding CAG might be considered a 'worst' moment for some users here and for myself especially, since I have such a backlog due to so many insane sales in the past 5 years

Best: The Wii. Yep, I said it. It is because it is pissing off the so called "hardcore" gamers, who I think they are realizing the industry is no longer focusing on them exclusively as it has done in the past. It is about fucking time the industry starts to broaden its horizons and offer games to a variety of people.

Besides, the truly "hardcore" will tell you that the Wii has some damn fine games on it even despite the sea of shovelware. I own both a PS3 and a Wii and I have enjoyed both to death, they both have some of the best games I've played in a while. I've enjoyed Uncharted 2 as much as The Boy and His Blob.

Besides, thank God for it, all they (teh hardcorz) do is bitch, moan, and complain. They are worse then the Golden Girls going through a menstrual cycle.

Worst: The DreamCast and the "death" of SEGA. They had it coming since the 32X (fuckers, that was a piece of crap) but still, SEGA was great. I'll never get another Panzer Dragoon or Skies of Arcadia again. :(

Here is my big list.

As a big Sony fan. Sony dissapointed me with three things, The death of Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, the Sony E3 2006 Conference, and PlayStation 3 Launch. Other worst moments in the last decade for me were World of Warcraft, RROD, SEGA, Halo and Modern Warfare, Secu ROM, Nintendo with less hits than the 90s, and THE PRICE OF GAMING.

The best thing from the last 10 years would be. Metal Gear Solid 3, God of War 2, No More Heroes, GTA San Andreas, Harmonix with Guitar Hero and Rock Band Games, Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, Unreal Tournament 2004, Counter Strike Source, Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2, PS2 which lasted THE WHOLE DECADE, PSP going up against Nintendo, Valve, Steam, and the Wii bringing in a new audience to gaming.

I can list so much more, but this is a start.

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back