Best Buy Black Friday 2017

I really wish Nintendo would concede the way M$ is looking to in the coming years. The fact of the matter is if they went multiplatform, their hardware would get crushed because nobody has been asking for what they keep dreaming up over and over again. Then again, they have absolutely alienated me over the years now and I have no desire to play anything they put out other than old systems with classic games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really wish Nintendo would concede the way M$ is looking to in the coming years. The fact of the matter is if they went multiplatform, their hardware would get crushed because nobody has been asking for what they keep dreaming up over and over again. Then again, they have absolutely alienated me over the years now and I have no desire to play anything they put out other than old systems with classic games.
There’s so much wrong with this post. I don’t even know where to begin.

Might buy Horizon at GS tomorrow, think I have a $5 gift card, and didn't realize the BB started their deals already. Do they work in store? I can swing by after work tomorrow.

Otherwise, any chance Walmart price matches on Black Friday? I'm eyeing Wolfy 2 and Nier mostly, but maybe a few others. Since GCU doesn't work then, and I doubt the prices on those will get any better, so not sure I want to drive all the way out to BB on Black Friday since, when I'm not at work the closest one to me is like 40 minutes away.

Agreed. The Switch is a SECOND device for gamers at all interested in making sure they can play the latest and greatest from anyone other than Nintendo. This, of course, happens to also be the most serious problem for the machine. The fact is the people who are buying are largely already in possession of a PS4 or Xbox One, meaning most are getting it for Nintendo's games. That doesn't do much for all the other publishers, which is exactly what led to the scintilla of quality software on the Wii, the death of the Wii U, and ... well, maybe a similar tune for the Switch? We'll see in a year or so. It's not good that EA has come out and said it'll reserve judgment. No system has survived without EA support, whether love em or hate em.

My Wii U is 90% Nintendo games. I cared nothing for the 3rd parties on that machine. That's the only reason I'd buy a Switch. How does that work out for anyone else? It doesn't.
I have a Switch but I can guarantee I will never buy a non-exclusive game for it. No achievements, inferior hardware and I don't give a damn about the console's only advantage to some...portability.

I wish I could just find a dang VITA to buy. I had one from a Black Friday a couple years back and stupidly sold it off. Now with a two year old...I would love to have one. Can’t get a new one anywhere.

I have a Switch but I can guarantee I will never buy a non-exclusive game for it. No achievements, inferior hardware and I don't give a damn about the console's only advantage to some...portability.
I find that interesting that people feel that way about the Switch (you're not alone: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/10/31/survey-switch-users-playing-docked-portable-mode). Personally, I plan on NEVER playing in docked mode. I'm going to treat mine like my Vita or 3DS, where I put in more hours on either than on my PS4 or Xbox One combined. I hate mobile gaming (no games on my iPhone at all), but I love portable gaming.

Classic forum hubris..."because I think a certain way then everyone does!",

I think you are in the minority.... Non-exclusive indies are selling best (by far) on Switch. Plus portability is attracting interest in other games. Skyrim will sell great on Switch.

Anyone who doesn't care for the Switch's portability was never stuck on a Toilet for 15+ hours.

There was a typo, I fixed it.

Sucks that GCU can't be used but what about certificates? I got about $50 worth that I was planning to use this week but might hold off until Black Friday.

Not gaming related, but I was wanting the Keurig that BB had on special for $59.99. Sold out online. Can't use store locator. Any idea if I swing by a store and they have it if the price is the same in store? 

I find that interesting that people feel that way about the Switch (you're not alone: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/blog/2017/10/31/survey-switch-users-playing-docked-portable-mode). Personally, I plan on NEVER playing in docked mode. I'm going to treat mine like my Vita or 3DS, where I put in more hours on either than on my PS4 or Xbox One combined. I hate mobile gaming (no games on my iPhone at all), but I love portable gaming.
I have never been much of a fan of portable or mobile gaming mainly due to comfort issues. I also don't really have much of an opportunity or need to make use of the portability. I can see how it would be nice for somebody who lives with a bunch of other people and has to battle for a TV or spends a lot of time on buses, planes, etc. I have a monitor that only I use, drive to work and rarely take trips so it's not of much use to me.

Not gaming related, but I was wanting the Keurig that BB had on special for $59.99. Sold out online. Can't use store locator. Any idea if I swing by a store and they have it if the price is the same in store?
I remember reading elsewhere that someone tried to do that and it rang up at full price. They also wouldn't adjust the price for him because it's a "Black Friday Deal". Not sure why your store locator isn't working but your best bet would be to order with in-store pick up.

It's been a long time since I've played a strategy RPG, but Disgaea 5 on the switch is calling out to me.  The fear of dying during a battle after an hour has gone by is real. 

Classic forum hubris..."because I think a certain way then everyone does!",

I think you are in the minority.... Non-exclusive indies are selling best (by far) on Switch. Plus portability is attracting interest in other games. Skyrim will sell great on Switch.
Except the problem with indies is that the market seems uninterested in paying for anything. The recent closure of Housemarque and their very public comments are just one more sign of how hard it is to make a commercially viable indie game. Sure, you have your occasional indie darlings like Guacamelee and Shadow Warrior, but these are few and far between.

Semantics aside, the lion's share of indie games are basically mobile games, and those are HARDLY the kinds of games the Switch needs to stay relevant. It's only a matter of time before that Switch interface starts to look like Steam or iTunes. I doubt the analysts at Nintendo are particularly happy about the Switch becoming home to a load of shovelware indie/mobile junk. That was the Wii. Now if Nintendo can sell 50-100m units, then may be it still gets something AAA from a 3rd party, but it's way too early to tell whether Switch comes even close. It'll beat the Wii U, but at just 13m, that's barely worth mentioning.

I want to see Switch do well, but honestly, I don't see how it gets the flood of non-Nintendo exclusives that will make it break that critical barrier - say 40m units. The portability is a nice touch, but as we saw with Vita -- it's not enough by itself. After Nintendo fires off all its big guns -- the last one of mass appeal being Pokemon -- not sure what else it has left to get enough people to buy it.

And even then, like others have said here, whether many would bother buying anything BUT Nintendo's games.

Except the problem with indies is that the market seems uninterested in paying for anything. The recent closure of Housemarque and their very public comments are just one more sign of how hard it is to make a commercially viable indie game.
Didn't know about this; that's a raw deal but I can see why. I liked their games but each was just slightly flawed enough that I don't feel they ever quite became a critical success. Seems like the only way for studios to survive anymore is the cash shop but at the expense of public favor. You either sell your soul or you die.

Sad state of the industry.

Sucks that GCU can't be used but what about certificates? I got about $50 worth that I was planning to use this week but might hold off until Black Friday.
Not sure if anyone answered you yet, but yes, reward certificates can be used as a form of payment on any day, including BF.

Everybody whining about no GCU like it wasn't a huge announcement early last year...

And besides, a lot of these prices are lower than they would have been if GCU was allowed anyways...

They changed the Terms & Conditions last year to indicate that BF deals are an exception to the GCU discount...but there's always a chance it could "magically" work anyway. :whistle2:$
Last year, it was "broken" and GCU was applying to game deals for like the first hour or so. I forget if this was the early access sale or actual BF sale.

Imma try stacking gcu and hoping that the employees don't know about the terms change from last year lol
Good luck with that - applying a GCU discount is an automatic process that occurs once you add your MyRewards account to an order-in-process. Presuming the weekend is coded to disable GCU within their system those days (as they have stated it would be), an employee would not have the capacity to override it.

On the upside, several of the BF deals from last year were put on sale again in early December at or below their BF prices. Once BF passes, GCU will again be enabled. Together, I was able to get sub-BF prices on a couple of items that went OOS during the Thanksgiving weekend. Of course, I wouldn't bank on this occurrence and would still pick up desired items for BF prices if you can.

Everybody whining about no GCU like it wasn't a huge announcement early last year...

And besides, a lot of these prices are lower than they would have been if GCU was allowed anyways...
No, because until 2016, you got the price AND GCU. Now, there are games like ​Titanfall 2​ that are $15 at BB and $12 at Wal-Mart, a price that would be equal if we could use GCU. The prices used to match the competitors, at worst, with GCU. Now, things are pretty much just having Best Buy match the competitors with just rewards points as a differentiator, while you have Wal-Mart winning on some prices and Target offering the 5% Red Card discount as a way to win on price for those customers.

Deals certainly aren't bad this year, but they're certainly not as good as when GCU worked either.

So with some of these Switch games on sale... I'm a little disappointed that ARMS isn't.

I am disappointed that there is like no 3ds XL or 2ds XL deals anywhere. Nintendo is releasing the new Zelda 2ds but as someone who wants to wait on the Switch you would think with the Switch being huge this holiday season their other portables would be getting some love. I was REALLY hoping for a $100 or $125 2ds XL. That is all I really wanted to add for gaming apart from one or two games this year. 

There hasn't been one post about a wife, girlfriend or kid. It's all been me, me, me. Wtf happened to you guys?

Somebody better post some "my woman had her eye on knack 2. Gonna grab it for her Christmas present" or "gettin sonic force for my 3 month old" cuz ya'll soundin mad selfish.

There hasn't been one post about a wife, girlfriend or kid. It's all been me, me, me. Wtf happened to you guys?

Somebody better post some "my woman had her eye on knack 2. Gonna grab it for her Christmas present" or "gettin sonic force for my 3 month old" cuz ya'll soundin mad selfish.
Jokes on you, they have none of the above.

Last year after BF most of their game deals showed up the next day or two and I would like to say around Christmas too. And that is when GCU could be applied. So this year I plan to wait for those same sales to pop up after BF and tact on my GCU.

Last year after BF most of their game deals showed up the next day or two and I would like to say around Christmas too. And that is when GCU could be applied. So this year I plan to wait for those same sales to pop up after BF and tact on my GCU.
Wish I had your patience. Can't chance not getting it! Wolf 2 and evil within 2 here we go.

I picked one up yesterday for $60 and got the $20 gift card. They didn't have any on the shelves but I had someone look in the back and he found one. He knew about the sale and the gift card and everything went smoothly. And fyi, for some reason the black one is the only color on sale. Good luck finding one, it's a crazy good deal.

Wish I had your patience. Can't chance not getting it! Wolf 2 and evil within 2 here we go.
I hear you, I'll be on the lookout for Persona 5, COD WII, South Park TFBW, and a few others. I would bet you that Wolf 2 and the Evil Within 2 will be in the $20 to $25 range by March if you wait. But anyways, best of luck man.

I have a question, since I want to get the macbook pro..right now it shows it as 1299 for the BLACK FRIDAY AD deals..but it says it ends Saturday which I assume means tomorrow. I want to wait til BF since the video games I want to get will be on BF sale so want to get everything together..should I assume the macbooks will be the same price on BF or even less? I mean if its on sale now it will be on sale then I assume..right now in the BF Ad it only shows the macbook air and a few desktop macs

I have a question, since I want to get the macbook pro..right now it shows it as 1299 for the BLACK FRIDAY AD deals..but it says it ends Saturday which I assume means tomorrow. I want to wait til BF since the video games I want to get will be on BF sale so want to get everything together..should I assume the macbooks will be the same price on BF or even less? I mean if its on sale now it will be on sale then I assume..right now in the BF Ad it only shows the macbook air and a few desktop macs
Some of their Black Friday deals are live until tomorrow. Why would you wait and have to deal with large crowds when you can get it now for the same price?

But do you have a Masters Degree

I don't think Housemarque closed, they just aren't making score based style games anymore and are shifting to more co-op and multiplayer focused titles. I figure they'll still have their style and scope, just geared towards more players.

bread's done
Back