Best Buy DotD: Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster (360) - $24.99

Wow, I was going to go PM this on Sunday. Saves me having to do that. Maybe tomorrow they can have Skylanders on sale then I would be set

Would it be so hard for them to beat Wal-Mart to the punch and hook us up with Kinect Sports 2 and Dance Central 2 for $15 instead?

Not actually expecting that, of course, but I have been looking to add to my Kinect library.

That's their Black Friday price. Was debating going for it (using by B2G1 free coupon with it), but that'd be one less thing to worry about... My nephew will either love this or be just a little too young to actually play it.

Between the Harry Potter deal at Wal-Mart and this my nephew is going to have a good Christmas from me. Thanks for the heads up OP!

For those who are on the fence about this game or even the flippers out there Once upon a Monster trades into amazon for $34.30 at the time of this post, so even with California tax(which I am using because it is generally high) the total price is 27.06 and free shipping. Best Buy shows if you order it now you will get it between November 25th-30th there is a little bit of a risk if amazons TIV goes down but I would call this a low risk situation. Also I know this may sound like a lot of work for 7-9 dollars but *shrug* it's just an idea. Not to mention I am a huge fan of Double Fine and the more sales they get, the more chances of them coming out with more games!

[quote name='jumpiestranger2']"Can you tell me how to get, how to get to Sesame Street?" Sorry couldn't resist the urge.[/QUOTE]

You should have tried harder.

[quote name='Thechaosdivision']For those who are on the fence about this game or even the flippers out there Once upon a Monster trades into amazon for $34.30 at the time of this post, so even with California tax(which I am using because it is generally high) the total price is 27.06 and free shipping. Best Buy shows if you order it now you will get it between November 25th-30th there is a little bit of a risk if amazons TIV goes down but I would call this a low risk situation. Also I know this may sound like a lot of work for 7-9 dollars but *shrug* it's just an idea. Not to mention I am a huge fan of Double Fine and the more sales they get, the more chances of them coming out with more games![/QUOTE]
TIV down to $21.60 now.

Best Buy has been stepping it up with these daily deals. Hopefully this will be something they continue after the holidays.

Anyways, on topic...I would be in for 1, but I already bought my nephew The Gunstringer, although I think he's been playing more Fruit Ninja though lol

I'll pass on the BB DotD today, but this thread has been must reading this week. Grabbed the last 3 DotDs: AC:B($10), GoW3+800pts($35), AceC:AH($30). All with BB credit from earlier trades. BB, and it's been borderline amazing to me, has really stepped it up in many gaming areas (online & in-store) these past couple of months. This, after 10 years of being laughed at for clinging to the MSRP is best model.

Thanks for the heads up op. I got this for my 5 yearold son, we tried the demo and he really liked it, for those who have not tried it , It seems to have better tracking for children than other kinect titles, it didn't lose track of his height at all.

[quote name='ryheeles']Would it be so hard for them to beat Wal-Mart to the punch and hook us up with Kinect Sports 2 and Dance Central 2 for $15 instead?

Not actually expecting that, of course, but I have been looking to add to my Kinect library.[/QUOTE]

15 is about the max you wanna pay for Sports 2. It is terrible compared to the first game. Honestly, I would save my money if I were you, I am just lucky I only lost a few bucks when I traded it in.

This game is what has me wanting to buy a 360 and Kinect but the announcements that Microsoft is unveiling their new console in January really disinterested me in buying a console so late in the life cycle. I've done that in the past, thank you dreamcast, and don't want to make the same mistake.

Not trying to sound like a greedy SOB, but does Amazon match these? I don't shop at BB so otherwise I'll wait until next week when it's at TRU

Damn, I can't decide. My son is going to be 3 in a few months, I'm just not sure if he'll be into it for another year or so. Tried the demo with him and he seemed to like watching it but he didn't really get the concept.

[quote name='Dysheekie']Damn, I can't decide. My son is going to be 3 in a few months, I'm just not sure if he'll be into it for another year or so. Tried the demo with him and he seemed to like watching it but he didn't really get the concept.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat. My son just turned 3 and I really want to get this for him but I dont want to get it if he's not going to be able to play/understand how to play it.

[quote name='Brother Daz']I'm in the same boat. My son just turned 3 and I really want to get this for him but I dont want to get it if he's not going to be able to play/understand how to play it.[/QUOTE]

Train them early.

He's going to like it or not eat!

I have a 2-1/2yr old girl. If you play along [to start with], your kid will watch and join in. From the demo on XBLive, you get a good feeling of how the entire game could be. The demo portion we played had a "simon says" type of feel to it. My girl was growling, hopping and waving her hands having a GREAT time. She was listening to what the "monster", cookie monster or elmo was telling us to do. Pretty soon, I sat down and she played on her own.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='iroute']I have a 2-1/2yr old girl. If you play along at the start, your kid will watch and join in. From the demo on XBLive, you get a good feeling of how the entire game could be. The demo portion we played had a "simon says" type of feel to it. My girl was growling, hopping and waving her hands having a GREAT time.[/QUOTE]
I will check out the demo with him to see if he is even interested in it, thanks

[quote name='cheeky']is this fun for adults[/QUOTE]

Unless you like Elmo and Cookie Monster a lot I would say stay away. It really is for kids.

Awesome. This game was on my high priority list for BF. Now, it's one less thing I have to worry about.

What's the youngest age this game would be appropriate for? I don't own kinect and have an original 360 (twice refurbished), would it make sense to buy kinect for $100 and this game or does it make more sense to buy a 4GB unit with kinect for $200? I have a 60GB HDD on my current 360. I am somewhat hesitant because I'm worried the console will be replaced next year.

Just got a copy in store. Rang up $49.99 but showed them the .com price and they adjusted. Got 15% off my Skyrim CE guide on the same transaction.

My question is kinect even worth it? I want to buy this for the boys (3 and 4) but the $100 entry fee seems a bit steep. How is the Kinect integration going so far?

[quote name='sdcranford']Just got a copy in store. Rang up $49.99 but showed them the .com price and they adjusted. Got 15% off my Skyrim CE guide on the same transaction.[/QUOTE]
Dang, so it's just online only then.

Wanted an extra 10% off in-store... oh well, I don't have kids so I might just pass on this.

[quote name='Blaster man']What's the youngest age this game would be appropriate for? I don't own kinect and have an original 360 (twice refurbished), would it make sense to buy kinect for $100 and this game or does it make more sense to buy a 4GB unit with kinect for $200? I have a 60GB HDD on my current 360. I am somewhat hesitant because I'm worried the console will be replaced next year.[/QUOTE]

I think Microsoft says that the ideal starting age for Kinect games is 4. However, I think I read a professional review where the reviewer's 3 year old kid had no trouble playing the game. I also read a user review on Gamefaqs where the reviewer said that his 2-year old enjoyed playing the game with him/her.

[quote name='RCS0926']I think Microsoft says that the ideal starting age for Kinect games is 4. However, I think I read a professional review where the reviewer's 3 year old kid had no trouble playing the game. I also read a user review on Gamefaqs where the reviewer said that his 2-year old enjoyed playing the game with him/her.[/QUOTE]

Okay so here's my situation. I bought a launch 360 and got it refurbished twice. I've had the current refurbished unit since December 2010.

1. I could pick up a Kinect unit on Black Friday for $100 and use it on my current 360 but it might get another RROD in 9-12 months.
2. I could buy a 4GB Kinect bundle for $200 on Black Friday. This would give me a more reliable console for just $100.
2.A. I have a 60GB HDD on my current console, I could pull it and attempt to add it to the slim, thus voiding the warranty but allowing me to use my content.
3. I could buy the 250GB bundle for $200 and the $100 Kinect for $100 for a total of $300 (I'd be basically paying $100 for the HDD).
4. I could wait another year hope the Kinect is $50 on Black Friday 2012 (or sooner).

I talked to my wife and she doesn't care what I do but all 4 options seem a bit dubious to me...recommendations?

edit:
It's a shame none of the stores are putting the $400 250GB Kinect holiday bundle on sale.

[quote name='Blaster man']Okay so here's my situation. I bought a launch 360 and got it refurbished twice. I've had the current refurbished unit since December 2010.

1. I could pick up a Kinect unit on Black Friday for $100 and use it on my current 360 but it might get another RROD in 9-12 months.
2. I could buy a 4GB Kinect bundle for $200 on Black Friday. This would give me a more reliable console for just $100.
2.A. I have a 60GB HDD on my current console, I could pull it and attempt to add it to the slim, thus voiding the warranty but allowing me to use my content.
3. I could buy the 250GB bundle for $200 and the $100 Kinect for $100 for a total of $300 (I'd be basically paying $100 for the HDD).
4. I could wait another year hope the Kinect is $50 on Black Friday 2012 (or sooner).

I talked to my wife and she doesn't care what I do but all 4 options seem a bit dubious to me...recommendations?

edit:
It's a shame none of the stores are putting the $400 250GB Kinect holiday bundle on sale.[/QUOTE]

There's no doubt that if you're willing to wait for up to year that you'll find a better deal on a new 360/Kinect. However, if you're willing to drop $300, then you can have a 250GB console with Fable 3 and Halo Reach (through Best Buy) and a Kinect bundle w/ Kinect Adventures, Gunstringer, Fruit Ninja, Wipeout and Wipeout 2 (through Target). That's a lot of bang for your buck. If you want to go a little cheaper, then you can just get a 4GB Kinect bundle for $200 and use your old HDD. I thought I read that you can use your old HDD on a new 360 w/o voiding your warranty. If your wife is cool with whatever decision you go with, then I don't see a reason to hold off unless you're really strapped for cash.

[quote name='RCS0926']There's no doubt that if you're willing to wait for up to year that you'll find a better deal on a new 360/Kinect. However, if you're willing to drop $300, then you can have a 250GB console with Fable 3 and Halo Reach (through Best Buy) and a Kinect bundle w/ Kinect Adventures, Gunstringer, Fruit Ninja, Wipeout and Wipeout 2 (through Target). That's a lot of bang for your buck. If you want to go a little cheaper, then you can just get a 4GB Kinect bundle for $200 and use your old HDD. I thought I read that you can use your old HDD on a new 360 w/o voiding your warranty. If your wife is cool with whatever decision you go with, then I don't see a reason to hold off unless you're really strapped for cash.[/QUOTE]

I just watched some YouTube videos and it seems that you can easily add the old HDD to a new slim model without voiding the slim warranty. I thought you had to open the thing up but it seems that there is a bay that you can open/expose with a button. Obviously I'll void my 60GB HDD when I take it apart though (you have to use the physical HDD and not the whole chunk of plastic that attaches to the old Xbox 360). I already have Fable 3 but never played any Halo games, so the $100 for the 250GB would be for just the HDD and Halo (not Fable which I own the disk for already).

As far as being strapped for cash, I can buy this stuff but I've got kids so I don't like to go throwing money away unnecessarily. I could play the Monster game with my daughter (which is why my wife doesn't care what I do) but is it worth it? Is Kinect really that well supported? Would I be dropping $200 + $25 just to only ever play one game on it?

bread's done
Back