Best Buy DotD: Tomb Raider PS3/360 9.99

My bestbuy store is a joke, one that isn't funny.

They never had one copy to begin with, common sense would tell you to have some for a planned event. /end rant :p

For anyone that cares and doesn't mind paying a little more, it is also on sale at Target for $14.99 right now, and if your lucky you can pick up the steelbook edition from them like I just did.  Just figured I'd throw that out there.

Exactly. The stores around here sold out of product and will not replenish, therefore when the online says Unavailable it is the truth in my area(vs a shady manager pulling stock). Clearance games have been and will be harder to find at BB for me going forward. Never had any trouble finding clearance/low sales games prior to next-gen systems coming out. For a long time, seemed like I was at my BB everyday or at least every week picking up something cheap. All 4 BB within 30 minutes of me have been out of any item that has been a good deal in January. I know cause I checked them all.
I'm not exactly sure what has been going on with Best Buy...but I can confirm your observations about LOTS of products quickly becoming "unavailable" at my local store. As an example, I was at BB shopping one Saturday evening and specifically recall looking at their copies of Metal Gear Solid: Legacy Edition (PS3) - there were probably 5-7 in total. Given the product was not on sale at the time (at BB, or anywhere else, to my knowledge), the late hour of my shopping trip, and the relatively low foot traffic that was in the store shopping that evening, I was a bit surprised to see that it was "unavailable" not 10 hours later on Sunday morning. Not only that, but ALL of the stores in my region went from having stock available for same-day in-store pickup to "unavailable" in the same period.

My gut feeling is that Best Buy has started centralizing their last-generation titles at warehouses to make room for next-gen systems and games (or other products, if they are reallocating floor space). As such, it may become a battle with the internet version of El Hoardo (SD - looking at you!) whenever proudcts go on sale. Similarly, I don't envision they will continue to restock inventory at the same rate - some, yes...but not all titles, and certainly not 'quickly' in some cases.

I'm not exactly sure what has been going on with Best Buy...but I can confirm your observations about LOTS of products quickly becoming "unavailable" at my local store. As an example, I was at BB shopping one Saturday evening and specifically recall looking at their copies of Metal Gear Solid: Legacy Edition (PS3) - there were probably 5-7 in total. Given the product was not on sale at the time (at BB, or anywhere else, to my knowledge), the late hour of my shopping trip, and the relatively low foot traffic that was in the store shopping that evening, I was a bit surprised to see that it was "unavailable" not 10 hours later on Sunday morning. Not only that, but ALL of the stores in my region went from having stock available for same-day in-store pickup to "unavailable" in the same period.

My gut feeling is that Best Buy has started centralizing their last-generation titles at warehouses to make room for next-gen systems and games (or other products, if they are reallocating floor space). As such, it may become a battle with the internet version of El Hoardo (SD - looking at you!) whenever proudcts go on sale. Similarly, I don't envision they will continue to restock inventory at the same rate - some, yes...but not all titles, and certainly not 'quickly' in some cases.
No Best Buy's should be shipping back any games other than some shovelware Wii titles that are in the dump bins. Nor are you dealing with shady managers or employees when games fly off the shelf over night. Your El Hoardo's are people Sunday mornings when the prices change for the week buying multiple copies for store pick up or for shipping. Now that all stores get orders to ship products directly to customers homes instead of just warehouses. Clearance items are going to be much harder to find in stores. Not so good for people looking for clearance but it's been good on Best Buy's part to clear store space and sell product. It's also been better to keep track of stock so your chances of getting no picked on a store pick up go down.

bread's done
Back