Best Buy DVD ad 6/5 - 6/11

TXboxGuY

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
The Successful Dropout's post for other retailers (CC, Target, etc.)

???Hot Price???
Seed of Chucky Unrated and Fully Extended
Be Cool
Sopranos Sets - Buy 2, Save $20; Buy all 5 Save $100 Must be purchased on same receipt.
The Sopranos: The Complete Fifth Season
$79.99 each
The Sopranos S2, S3, or S4
$69.99
The Sopranos: The Complete First Season
$49.99 each
The X-Files seasons 1 - 9
$29.99
The X-Files Abduction, 16 episodes Best Buy Exclusive on-pack book: The Real Science Behind The X-Files Condensed version of the original book. An in-depth explanation of the mysterious science behind The X-Files. Minimum of 8 per store. No rainchecks.
$19.99
The Machinist
Beyond the Sea
$17.99
National Treasure
$15.99
Get Shorty
$14.99
Star Trek Insurrection
$12.99
Stripes Includes 18 extra minutes plus 6 deleted scenes. Hour-long documentary features new interviews with cast and crew
Tears of the Sun Director's Extended Cut
Gone in 60 Seconds Unrated, New Extended Version
Father of the Bride 15th Anniversary Special Edition
Coyote Ugly Unrated Extended Cut
Sling Blade Exclusive Director's Cut, Extensive New Bonus Materials

2 for $15
Donnie Darko
The Transporter, Special Ed.
The Last of the Mohicans, Director's Expanded Ed.
American Pie 2, Unrated Collector's Ed.
Road Trip, Unrated Uncensored
The Untouchables, Special Collector's Ed.
The Rock
The Waterboy
Swingers, Miramax Collector's Series
National Lampoon's Van Wilder, Unrated Version
School of Rock, Special Collector's Ed.
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Italian Job
National Lampoon's Animal House, Double Secret Probation Ed.

TV on DVD
$49.99
The OC, S1
$44.99
Buffy The Vampire Slayer, S7
Smallville, S3
Alias, S3
$41.99
The Simpsons, S5
$37.99
South Park, S5
Charmed, S1
$24.99
Chappelle's Show, S2
Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Volume 2
$19.99
Crank Yankers Uncensored, Volume1, Season 2
Reno 911!, S1

RZ members SAVE $5 MORE on prices below
$44.99
Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, S1, 21 episodes Bonus Poster (Teri Hatcher) included w/ purchase of this set. Minimum of 6 per store. No rainchecks.
$39.99
Rescue Me, S1, 13 episodes
$32.99
Home Improvement, S2, 25 episodes
Quincy, M.E., S1&2, 17 episodes
Wonder Woman, S3, 24 episodes
Dragnet 1967, S1, 17 episodes
$29.99
Wanted: Dead or Alive, S1, 36 episodes
MacGyver, S2, 22 episodes

RZ members SAVE $3 MORE on prices below
$27.99
Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica, S2&3, 20 episodes
$24.99
Father of the Pride, Complete Series, 14 episodes
Sanford and Son, S6, 24 episodes

RZ members SAVE $2 MORE on prices below
$14.99
The Best of SNL, Tom Hanks
The Best of SNL, Jon Lovitz

VG ad here

MUSIC ad here

Thank god my wallet is going to take another rest... unless CC's ad really has something HOT in it. I hope I'm not the only one who is sick of this whole "save $5 more with our scamzone card" but it looks like I am alone on that. Everyone should get the same deal and shouldn't have to pay to get the damn savings period.

[quote name='AzianAsspicker']wow pretty good ad, any1 recommend tears of the sun? Never seen the movie b4 but i heard it was really good[/QUOTE]

its pretty good. its not that bad. Ebert and Roeper gave it two thumbs up.

[quote name='iheartmetal']anyone know if the ad pictures the new special edition donnie darko... id like to know because if it is im there[/QUOTE]

It's the regular version pictured -- "Individually Priced $9.99 Each".

Holy fuck! Gone in 60 Seconds Unrated, New Extended Version? Those bastards sure took their time in getting this out. I may end up getting it to replace my basic version. fuck!

I may pick up Van Wilder and Animal House in the 2 for $15, as that would be a great deal for those two movies.

can someone give me a short description on what the machinist is about and/or why it's so great?

the actor from equilibrium plays in it, right? equilibrium is one of my favorite movies

[quote name='demomanTNA']"scamzone card" [/QUOTE]

My Reward Zone card has paid for itself over and over again, well worth the $10. I got it when i bought a new computer last year, whcih instantly gave me $80 in cash back. Since ive probably earned another $50 in gift certificates whether its just by buying DVDs or the couple months they gave you extra points for just using a credit card or extra points for preordering Halo2 and PSP. Don't know where you think its a scam, but i dont see a downside. Sure those of you who dont have one cant get these special savings, but that just sucks for you. If you planned on buying two of these $5 off w/ rewardzone cards sets, the card pays for itself already.

[quote name='sman113']My Reward Zone card has paid for itself over and over again, well worth the $10. I got it when i bought a new computer last year, whcih instantly gave me $80 in cash back. Since ive probably earned another $50 in gift certificates whether its just by buying DVDs or the couple months they gave you extra points for just using a credit card or extra points for preordering Halo2 and PSP. Don't know where you think its a scam, but i dont see a downside. Sure those of you who dont have one cant get these special savings, but that just sucks for you. If you planned on buying two of these $5 off w/ rewardzone cards sets, the card pays for itself already.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I must agree with demomanTNA on the Reward Zone Card. The card really is a ripoff unless you buy some expensive purchose than it can make itself worth it. Really, I would never have gotten mine and paid the $10 price tag since I know I wouldn't make 12500 (or is it now 15000) points to get anything with my CAG ways. I'm just glad that I got on for free when they had that coupon going around, otherwise I don't think I would have ever gotten one.

Thanks OP for the early ads. Nothing that I really see of note. Was hoping that the Donnie Darko in the ad was the Director's Cut because that's probably one of the few movies that I actually care for a director's cut. Also, can anyone tell me what is this X-Files Abduction set that is coming out? What's it supposed to be exactly?

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Actually, I must agree with demomanTNA on the Reward Zone Card. The card really is a ripoff unless you buy some expensive purchose than it can make itself worth it. Really, I would never have gotten mine and paid the $10 price tag since I know I wouldn't make 12500 (or is it now 15000) points to get anything with my CAG ways. I'm just glad that I got on for free when they had that coupon going around, otherwise I don't think I would have ever gotten one.
[/QUOTE]

I don't see how the reward zone card is a scam. They are pretty up front on what you need ot get to get $5 in rewards and if you know you're not going to spend that much there then don't buy the damn thing like you said. I buy everything there. If CC or Target has a better price, I PM it so I can get my points. All the stores are all together so it's not like I am driving all over the place to price match either. Even if you just buy alot of DVDs and CDs it doesn't take much to earn $5. What is it? $125? $150? My card has paid for itself 20 times over in the two years I have had it. Sure it's a ripoff if you're only going to buy a handful of $5 games there, but then you're the idiot if you bought it in the first place (disclaimer - comment is general in nature and is not calling hiccup an idiot). It's just another thing to bitch about in regards to Best Buy. It's the fashionable thing around here to bash them along with EA. :roll:

By the way, OP...thanks for the post! :D

Scam Zone is a good concept in theory if it was FREE but when they want $10 for it then forget it. Come on, you don't see grocery stores charging for their saver cards so why the fuck does Worst Buy feel they are special charging for the EXACT same thing.

Plus many stores rarely will price match the deals with the Scam Zone card, as it requires the card in order to get the savings. Therefore, Worst Buy screws everyone over with this crap. Well... that and that whole "low price" crap but Worst Buy isn't the only one guilty of that (hint hint Target, CC, etc).

[quote name='demomanTNA']Scam Zone is a good concept in theory if it was FREE but when they want $10 for it then forget it. Come on, you don't see grocery stores charging for their saver cards so why the fuck does Worst Buy feel they are special charging for the EXACT same thing.

Plus many stores rarely will price match the deals with the Scam Zone card, as it requires the card in order to get the savings. Therefore, Worst Buy screws everyone over with this crap. Well... that and that whole "low price" crap but Worst Buy isn't the only one guilty of that (hint hint Target, CC, etc).[/QUOTE]

Grocery stores don't usually give you $$$ back in rewards....they just offer you special deals (which often aren't really all that "special") like Best Buy has just started to do with the extra $5 off some stuff. So...no, it's not exactly the same thing as grocery store cards. I agree though that it should be free, but it's still not a scam.

Stores shouldn't price match the Reward Zone deals either. Why would they?

[quote name='chickenhawk']I don't see how the reward zone card is a scam. They are pretty up front on what you need ot get to get $5 in rewards and if you know you're not going to spend that much there then don't buy the damn thing like you said. I buy everything there. If CC or Target has a better price, I PM it so I can get my points. All the stores are all together so it's not like I am driving all over the place to price match either. Even if you just buy alot of DVDs and CDs it doesn't take much to earn $5. What is it? $125? $150? My card has paid for itself 20 times over in the two years I have had it. Sure it's a ripoff if you're only going to buy a handful of $5 games there, but then you're the idiot if you bought it in the first place (disclaimer - comment is general in nature and is not calling hiccup an idiot). It's just another thing to bitch about in regards to Best Buy. It's the fashionable thing around here to bash them along with EA. :roll:

By the way, OP...thanks for the post! :D[/QUOTE]

Wait, so how much do you have to spend to earn money back? Or maybe the better question I should be asking is, how many reward zone points do you get for every dollar you spend?

If it's just $125-150 than I should have done way more than that already and I still haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. Let's see, $30 Farscape set, $10 Dai-Guard set, $5 Astro Boy, $58 Farscape Season Two (not for me, but my friend, i just got the point from him. :)), Farscape The Peacekeeper Wars $15, $5 Castlevania, Gun Parade March $22, and a whole slew of other various DVDs and a couple games I can't think of.

Now yeah if you buy enough at Worst Buy a year to justify that $10 then yeah "Reward" Zone isn't a scam but when all you want is the best prices on DVDs then to me it falls under as a scam. No offense but I find it cheap (and not CAG cheap, but offensive cheap) when a store pulls an ad saying that "we'll give you X more off if you have our $10 card." Plus not only are they making $10 off of the card, but they are also getting marketting info from your purchase so its not like as if they aren't getting something out of this anyways.

Don't get me wrong, your points are valid. But I feel mine are too. Hopefully you see where I am coming from which is I totally disagree with Worst Buy's way of treating customers in general. You might not feel that way, and that's fine. All I expect you to do is at least see where I am coming from. That's all. :)

No one is getting screwed in these deals. I dont see why people bash Best Buy in the first place, but i guarantee that most of the people on this board spend more than $300 (or could if they shopped there) every year at best buy. If you do, the reward zone pays for itself just by the purchase, not including any promotions they have. This is just another way to get you to their store. If it means you cant price match at another store, i think thats the whole point -- they get your money, not circuit city or target or walmart, etc.

And as for comparing it to shopping stores. A) who cares, this is their business model on how to succeed in the business, and B) its like comparing apples and oranges. Comparing it to grocery stores would be like saying that to get a low price for a DVD out on a Tuesday, you have to use a free card, otherwise you pay MSRP. Best Buy, on the otherhands rewards you for buying more in their store. So, in many respects, its more like a Credit Card that gives you airline miles -- the more you use it, the more reward you get. Airline cards cost money.

Bashing BB does seem like the "it" thing here, but from what i read most of the bashing is only b/c someone there wont let a CAG commit fraud or take advantage of the system to the benefit of the CAG, but to the loss of BB. Wow, so BB sucks b/c they don't to lose profits. In that case, every business sucks.

EDIT: I believe its $5 coupon for every $150. It used to be $5 for every $125. Alsoe you get points for certain in-store promotions. i.e. i think they gave you enough points for a $5 coupon just for preordering Halo. So i was able to get the limited edition Halo for the same price as the regular.

Marketing Info ... So BB now knows that i like DVDs that are released on Tuesdays cheaply. So they send me coupons to buy more cheap DVDs. Both Me and Best Buy come out on top, anway, it would seem.

I guess i can clarify my position by saying BB is by far my store of choice to purchase electronics. CC prices are often too high and their customer service sucks (do they still work on commission there?), and target and walmart are just to unreliable to have things in stock. Media Play and FYE sell crap at MSRP, so they are out as well. BB always has the most stock and the most on display in the easiest places to find it. Granted, most of their employees dont know sh*t, but you can say the same thing about any store that has high school and college kids working there. BB also is, at least in my experience, the easiest place to get price matches.

sman, maybe you need to check your infomation. CC is no longer commission, as they dropped it two years ago. Hate to break it to you.

Oh, and as far as price matching... is this the same Worst Buy that an employee called me a "beligerant liar" when I tried to get them to price match THEIR OWN PRICE on?

Reward Zones are awesome, I've gotten well over a $100 back since I became a member 2 years ago. For christmas alone its worth the purchase. The same people that are bitching that its a scam are the same ones who bitch when they send out exclusive coupons or money off on a title. I love mine and it has paid for itself over and over again. Especially if you are shopping for double points or other such deals, besides it pays for itself with the new "Reward Zone pricing" on certain DVDs.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Wait, so how much do you have to spend to earn money back? Or maybe the better question I should be asking is, how many reward zone points do you get for every dollar you spend?

If it's just $125-150 than I should have done way more than that already and I still haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. Let's see, $30 Farscape set, $10 Dai-Guard set, $5 Astro Boy, $58 Farscape Season Two (not for me, but my friend, i just got the point from him. :)), Farscape The Peacekeeper Wars $15, $5 Castlevania, Gun Parade March $22, and a whole slew of other various DVDs and a couple games I can't think of.[/QUOTE]

Unless they have changed it, you get one point for every dollar you spend. Originally it was every 12,500 points (or $125) you get $5 back in reward zone dollars which are just like gift cards. It does take a bit of time for them to "process" this so it's not like you get your $5 reward a week after you spend the proper amount. You should get a account statement every few months or so. If you aren't getting anything and you think you should I would call them up. I have never had a problem.

And demon, I see your points. You are right that it is not worth it if you want to buy DVDs every so often. I also agree that it should be free (although I am not going to complain too much about paying $10 for it), but I just don't call it a scam if it's not worth it for you. The definition of a scam is something that is misleading, which I do not think this is. Not worth it for some does not equal scam. Just don't buy it if it's not worth it. I think some people just don't do their homework and just buy the card thinking they are going to get all this $$$ back.

To me I find it a scam since you have to pay to have the privledge of getting that discount, but oh well - to each their own, right? Some folks like you have gotten benefits from spending that $10 but to me... I wouldn't.

Enough said, let's get back to talking about cool CAG stuff like... finding stuff for CHEAP! :D

[quote name='demomanTNA']To me I find it a scam since you have to pay to have the privledge of getting that discount, but oh well - to each their own, right? Some folks like you have gotten benefits from spending that $10 but to me... I wouldn't.

Enough said, let's get back to talking about cool CAG stuff like... finding stuff for CHEAP! :D[/QUOTE]

Wait!! There's cheap stuff to be found on this site? :shock: ;)

[quote name='chickenhawk']Wait!! There's cheap stuff to be found on this site? :shock: ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes there is.... just look around you. Cheapness is EVERYWHERE! :applause:

[quote name='demomanTNA']sman, maybe you need to check your infomation. CC is no longer commission, as they dropped it two years ago. Hate to break it to you.

Oh, and as far as price matching... is this the same Worst Buy that an employee called me a "beligerant liar" when I tried to get them to price match THEIR OWN PRICE on?[/QUOTE]

I believed I asked as a question whether they were commission. Which would infer that i didnt know if they were or not.

I will admit, the other day at the Tampa Best Buy the dude told my friend (with me next to him) not to buy a PSP (and that he had returned his) because Sony was being sued for stealing the PSP idea from Nintendo and that if Sony lost this lawsuit that Sony would be ordered to pull all PSPs and games from store shelves. Now this dude was a complete fool. I think he was talking about the suit against Sony for the rumble controllers, which they lost and are appealing, but still quite a foolish statement.

Oh and as for paying for a discount. Technically you get one already by just shopping the first week. You are payign for the extra incentive to purchase at Best Buy, so you are paying for more of a discount.

[quote name='chickenhawk'] It does take a bit of time for them to "process" this so it's not like you get your $5 reward a week after you spend the proper amount. You should get a account statement every few months or so.[/QUOTE]

I believe if you change your profile to electronic coupon or something like that you will get your $5 rewards voucher in email form. So you will get them a lot quicker.
ALso, this is a "membership", so yeah I wish it was a free discount card but it isn't. The lower prices are an incentive for those that joined the program, so no not everyone else should get that price. Also it keeps you from being able to PM it at other retailers and having to buy it at BB but since you are getting a lower price and points toward $5 more bucks...............why not??

I'm not terribly big on the RZ members get the extra savings but as Wal-Mart around here offers basically all new releases at 14.88 as opposed to BB and CC usual 15.99 and up they have to do something to be competitive without the fear of price matching to death. It's just a business model and it seemingly is working.

I got my RZ card when my dad blew like 1600 on a computer. So it worked out superbly for me, I basically got enough coupons to buy a new CD player for my car, which was first when the RZ came about. If your going to make a noticable purchase, it's a great incentive for freebies later, but if you buy a few movies/games/cds over the course of a few months, it's harder to see the results. It takes like a month from the transaction date and then like 2 more weeks or better to get the certificate in the mail. If that takes you like 3 months to spend the 125 or 150, it's almost 5 months before you see your 5 bucks and that's disheartening to say the least.

It obviously works as they're supporting it pretty full on by furthering RZ incentives so it may be screwing some people over, but just about everything does now a days anyway.

Thanks OP for the ad, I'll probably get season 2 of Home Improvement as my fiance and I enjoy watching it.

Machinist is about the only thing I will be picking up this week. Missed out on it in the theater so definately need to pick it up now.

[quote name='sman113']I believed I asked as a question whether they were commission. Which would infer that i didnt know if they were or not. [/QUOTE]

Sorry if I sounded rude when I answered, but yeah CC is no longer commission sales. Even so, there isn't enough of a markup on DVDs to begin with to make any commission on anyways so no loss there.

Again, sorry if I did sound rude. :cry:

I am so behind on DVD TV sets I want. Don't have new Seinfeld yet, don't have Newsradio or Scrubs...still need last season of Angel, want more of The Shield (I only have the first), need 3rd King of Queens and 8&9th Friends...and now, Sopranos season 5, the one I've been waiting for forever.

*sigh*

Scrubs, if it doesnt go on sale again somewhere, i think is selling for 29.99 at Sam's Club. I cant be positive, but i thought thats what i saw when i was there. Thats the same price I paid at Best Buy on release day (although you wont get the BB bonus disc).

I never saw season one of Scrubs, i think i got into it halfway through season 2 (or maybe even 3) but it is the second-funniest show on tv, behind arrested development.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Holy fuck! Gone in 60 Seconds Unrated, New Extended Version? Those bastards sure took their time in getting this out. I may end up getting it to replace my basic version. fuck!

I may pick up Van Wilder and Animal House in the 2 for $15, as that would be a great deal for those two movies.[/QUOTE]
Turns out all that they've added to the Unrated edition of Gi60S is 9 fucking minutes of footage, nothing else. What a fucking ripoff to those that already have the original. No new commentaries, no new features, nothing. fuck that.

[quote name='Santurio']I believe if you change your profile to electronic coupon or something like that you will get your $5 rewards voucher in email form. So you will get them a lot quicker.[/QUOTE]

Seems logical to think this way, right? I had 10 dollars in certs show up the other day in my email and I had no idea when I earned them. I checked my transactions and it turns out that I had earned the certs almost 2 months previously.

That said, I have no complaints with the system. I didn't pay for it the first year, paid for it the second year, and this year they gave me another free year for being "one of their best customers". Suuuuure I am. If they actually looked at my transactions and saw that I price matched a Canon lens for a 100 dollar savings they'd certainly throw me on their devil customer list.

As has been said before, if you're going to spend money there anyway, you might as well get something back. Which reminds me - if you are a current reward zone member, go check out myrewardzone.com and sign up for the gamer reward zone program. Apparently they'll send you a smattering of gaming-related coupons, among other things, after you complete a brief survey.

RZ is far from a scam if you shop at BB a lot. I do as the CC here is a pain in the ass to find anything on there shelves. I signed up for the RZ when it first came out and ive got back over $400+ in RZ Certificates, plus they have already renewed my card twice for free. They also have a bunch of bonus days where you buy anything and you get 5000 or more free points (like next weekend). and there are always some special deals.

capt

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Turns out all that they've added to the Unrated edition of Gi60S is 9 fucking minutes of footage, nothing else. What a fucking ripoff to those that already have the original. No new commentaries, no new features, nothing. fuck that.[/QUOTE]

9 minutes? That's actually pretty good when compared to other "extended editions" that have been released. Granted, IMO the movie is trash and 9 more minutes is the last thing I would want to add on to the viewing time, but if your a fan of the film, it sounds pretty good.

[quote name='Scahom1']9 minutes? That's actually pretty good when compared to other "extended editions" that have been released. Granted, IMO the movie is trash and 9 more minutes is the last thing I would want to add on to the viewing time, but if your a fan of the film, it sounds pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Its also pretty good if you don't own it yet.... then again, you wouldn't catch something like that in my DVD collection.

[quote name='The Successful Dropout']can someone give me a short description on what the machinist is about and/or why it's so great?

the actor from equilibrium plays in it, right? equilibrium is one of my favorite movies[/QUOTE]

reasked

bread's done
Back