Best Buy Employee discount

Retailers pay $242 for a PSP and I think $139 for a DS. You're saving a few bucks, tops. That's why every coupon ever excludes video game hardware. The money is in software.

I heard you get big discounts on TVs.

If that is the case, who wants to make a quick $100 and save me thousands? :p

deepest discounts are tvs, car audio, accesories, cables / cords, and precint software.. hardly anything off computers / laptops, nothing off ANY apple hardware or ipods, and nothing off video game systems either.

[quote name='My Name Is BoB']I think that's only if you've worked there for 6 months or more.[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? It was only like 30 or 60 days when I worked there, but that was a couple years ago.

My friend used his member discounts the second he signed up, and he got me quite a bit for half-off. Not on video games, but other things, such as one of those lightsabers and Monster Cables.

I just got a job there, but they haven't told me what the discount is yet :( The suspense is KILLING me!!!! Lol, I just hope I can actually save some money and not blow my entire paycheck there as soon as I get it :/

[quote name='RaekwonThaChef']I just got a job there, but they haven't told me what the discount is yet :( The suspense is KILLING me!!!! Lol, I just hope I can actually save some money and not blow my entire paycheck there as soon as I get it :/[/QUOTE]

Press F4 on a register and enter 1 for the employee number. That will tell you how much it is on your discount. :D The discount varies per item, as said previous posters.

It's 5% over cost and you only need to work there for 1 month (30 days) to use the discount.
It sucks for: CDs, DVDs, Games (with a few exceptions)
Really good for: Accessories (cables of any kind)

also i think they passed this year or two ago. the only people can use it are the people who work there. They are no longer able to use it for their friends and if they do and are caught, They will be fired and made to repay the difference

[quote name='slidecage']also i think they passed this year or two ago. the only people can use it are the people who work there. They are no longer able to use it for their friends and if they do and are caught, They will be fired and made to repay the difference[/QUOTE]

I don't think you were ever able to use it for friends, besides as gifts for people. But no one cared while I worked there. I bought stuff for friends all the time, they just gave me the money and I took a little off the top as a service fee.

i knew someone in south bend that would do it for all their friends. They said just bring up the item number you want to buy and i get it for you. My cousin was able to get a 194 bucks knocked off a tv. i went around 6 months later and that is when they said that if anyone is caught using the discount for anyone besides themself (or anyone who lives in their house) will be fired

Oh yeah its definently against store policy, but they won't fire you. They'll write you up for it (basically a warning) do something else wrong, THEN you're fired. Still, while I worked there I and other co-workers didn't care.

The waiting period for the discount to kick in (about a month?) was usually waived if you were a holiday hire (that is, if you started working after Thanksgiving and before some other time like Christmas or the new year). At least if you started working recently, you don't have to wait until December to save a little money (by spending it, of course).

[quote name='slidecage']i knew someone in south bend that would do it for all their friends. They said just bring up the item number you want to buy and i get it for you. My cousin was able to get a 194 bucks knocked off a tv. i went around 6 months later and that is when they said that if anyone is caught using the discount for anyone besides themself (or anyone who lives in their house) will be fired[/QUOTE]

That's how it is everywhere. Officially. I'd just imagine that Best Buy takes the time to enforce it much more than your average retail store since the ability to rape the store with that discount exists. You would have no problem reselling everything.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']It's 5% over cost and you only need to work there for 1 month (30 days) to use the discount.
It sucks for: CDs, DVDs, Games (with a few exceptions)
Really good for: Accessories (cables of any kind)[/QUOTE]

This is correct -- my boyfriend worked their for awhile and I remember him telling me this. And you can't use it for friends, but I don't think they minded family using it as long as you were there (mostly for parents I guess). This of course didn't stop my family from constantly asking for discount for their friends... :roll:

[quote name='skygunnerblue']What about other mp3 players besides ipods? Anyone have any idea? (Samsung YP-T7, for example)[/QUOTE]

I found out the answer to my own question, in case anyone else would like to know.

1GB version - normal is 200+tax - discount is 150+tax
512MB version - normal is 150+tax - discount is around 113+tax

bread's done
Back