Best Buy Exclusive: 11 Guitar Hero III bonus tracks w/ Metallica's Death Magnetic

KD34XBR960

CAGiversary!
Check out the post below for more info:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat159700050050&type=category

**UPDATE 9/12/08**

The 11 tracks are the same tracks you can buy on XBOX Live. Only the Special Edition has the code to download the tracks. Technically, you have to go to the GH website and enter the code found in the Special Edition to get the XBOX Live code. Each Special Edition has a unique code and so there will not be a repeat of the Disturbed fiasco.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess this is the only way metallica thinks they can sell their cds by giving away gh3 tracks. Don't know if they realized that the new guitar hero world tour is around the corner and Rock Band 2 will be out a few days after their cd drops. yes, drops..hope it tanks. the same guys who said so much negative things about people online and what. just don't support them and return the cd. I'm glad I didn't jump to the offer and it sucks that alot of people got tricked into falling for it. no wonder it's an online only deal.

It's probably the record company or their management that pushed the idea of this weird Best Buy nonsense. I try to not blame Metallica themselves for this sort of thing.

-HM

[quote name='intoxicated662']I guess this is the only way metallica thinks they can sell their cds by giving away gh3 tracks. Don't know if they realized that the new guitar hero world tour is around the corner and Rock Band 2 will be out a few days after their cd drops. yes, drops..hope it tanks. the same guys who said so much negative things about people online and what. just don't support them and return the cd. I'm glad I didn't jump to the offer and it sucks that alot of people got tricked into falling for it. no wonder it's an online only deal.[/quote]

Don't post every again, please.

[quote name='intoxicated662']I guess this is the only way metallica thinks they can sell their cds by giving away gh3 tracks. Don't know if they realized that the new guitar hero world tour is around the corner and Rock Band 2 will be out a few days after their cd drops. yes, drops..hope it tanks. the same guys who said so much negative things about people online and what. just don't support them and return the cd. I'm glad I didn't jump to the offer and it sucks that alot of people got tricked into falling for it. no wonder it's an online only deal.[/quote]

The tracks are forward compatible with WT. And yeah, we should forever hold people to an opinion they once had and hate them for it.

I doubt that their opinions have changed. They are just looking at how they can make the most money off their new cd. Their previous tactic of making an album so bad that no one wanted to download it worked, but I don't think it sold very well either. I hope this one is the return to form that they are claiming and is a hit for them. I don't want to see 'Some Kind of Monster 2 - River of Tears'

[quote name='Punk0']I doubt that their opinions have changed. They are just looking at how they can make the most money off their new cd. Their previous tactic of making an album so bad that no one wanted to download it worked, but I don't think it sold very well either. I hope this one is the return to form that they are claiming and is a hit for them. I don't want to see 'Some Kind of Monster 2 - River of Tears'[/quote]

ROFL

What Ive heard of the new album isn't bad at all.

[quote name='Punk0']I doubt that their opinions have changed. They are just looking at how they can make the most money off their new cd. Their previous tactic of making an album so bad that no one wanted to download it worked, but I don't think it sold very well either. I hope this one is the return to form that they are claiming and is a hit for them. I don't want to see 'Some Kind of Monster 2 - River of Tears'[/QUOTE]

Actually St Anger sold very well. And so did their tickets to the tour that followed the release. It is but it isnt. Imagine if they took every cd they had (well not Kill em All) and combined bits and pieces from each. Thats what it sounds like. Sadly it took the piss poor mastering from St Anger and doesnt have that crisp feel like the previous cds.

People that ordered from Amazon should have their cd tomorrow though:) At least thats when mine is scheduled to be delivered.

[quote name='robbrism']Nice. I am not even a Metallica fan and that is tempting.

For those questioning why it is 360 only...there is always various exclusive stuff for each of the consoles so I don't see the big deal. Besides...who would own a PS3 and NOT own a 360? ;)[/QUOTE]

Anyone who wants a console that doesn't die because it is poorly designed. Anyone who wants a console WITH a hard drive and hi def drive. Anyone who has to choose to buy only one. ;)

This is an unfortunate exclusive. Keeps me from even THINKING of getting GH Metallica. I won't buy the cd, either.

Why is it a good idea to purposely ignore so many potential buyers?

it's official.
regular $9.99 doesn't come with gh tracks.
special edition does contain them all.
you can also purchase gh dm album off xbox live marketplace for $17.99(available this friday).

[quote name='pRINCESS-iSABELA']it's official.
you can also purchase gh dm album off xbox live marketplace for $17.99(available this friday).[/quote]

That sucks.

Oh well, if the songs suck then I wouldn't be interested anyway.

I was hoping some pix of the Best Buy "exclusive" version would have turned up on the interwebs by now. From what I can tell the only thing "exclusive" about this is having to pay $20 for something Activision is only charging $17.99 for :roll:

It's a better deal to buy the cd from Circuit City ($8.99) and just download the GH pack from LIVE ($17.99.)

The other possibility is that Best Buy's version has some enhanced packaging or something like that. I was hoping for a DVD or something.

Any Best Buy workers out there willing to post some pix a few days early? Anyone get theirs in the mail yet?

Oh, and if you're wondering about the songs themselves, just check them out (six of them anyway) on Metallica's site: http://metallica.com/index.asp?item=601197

[quote name='jrt1138']I was hoping some pix of the Best Buy "exclusive" version would have turned up on the interwebs by now. From what I can tell the only thing "exclusive" about this is having to pay $20 for something Activision is only charging $17.99 for :roll:

It's a better deal to buy the cd from Circuit City ($8.99) and just download the GH pack from LIVE ($17.99.)

The other possibility is that Best Buy's version has some enhanced packaging or something like that. I was hoping for a DVD or something.

Any Best Buy workers out there willing to post some pix a few days early? Anyone get theirs in the mail yet?[/quote]this is what i'm wondering too

[quote name='pRINCESS-iSABELA']it's official.
you can also purchase gh dm album off xbox live marketplace for $17.99(available this friday).[/quote]

If that's the case the special edition really isn't saving you much money at all. Usually that's the intent of bundling things together. I bought the regular edition and still hope to get some kind of insert with instructions to download the guitar hero tracks :cry:

[quote name='jrt1138']
[/QUOTE]

It's even a better deal now to buy the CD from Hot Topic for $5, and download the GH pack from Microsoft at a cost of 1440 Microsoft Points or in the PLAYSTATION(R)Store for the PLAYSTATION(R)3 computer entertainment system at a cost of $17.99.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196689

It's going to be $18 for the GH III album, and you can get the CD album for $10 otherwise. Overall that comes to ~$30, which is the price of the special edition with the bonus GH III tracks.

So, not that big of a deal?

My $9.99 copy arrived today. No mention of the DLC on the outer packaging... looks like it's time to call customer service. Edit: Just called customer service and the rep said she'd forward my complaint with the ad over to the promotions department. Not expecting much but I'll post back when I get a response (which she said could take up to 5 days).

[quote name='Genocidal']My $9.99 copy arrived today. No mention of the DLC on the outer packaging... looks like it's time to call customer service.[/quote]
Is it a digipak or a jewel case?

-HM

Cool man, thx. Sorry Best Buy screwed you on the GH stuff. Their site still implies all versions get the GH tracks by the advertisement.

-HM

I am going to throw a bitch-fit over this (again-see disturbed). Not only are they shafting me out of my 11 tracks, it's in a fucking digipak. I hate those fucking things and have refused to buy more than a few cd's because of it. fucking Best Buy. Guess I shouldn't have really expected anything different...

[quote name='spideymike']They screwed us all. I'm going to complain, too. Why not? Worse comes to worse, I will just return the CD at my local BB.[/QUOTE]

I can't. I used a reward certificate on it, so if I return it, I'll actually lose $5.

[quote name='mietha']I can't. I used a reward certificate on it, so if I return it, I'll actually lose $5.[/QUOTE]

No you won't. If you use a reward zero certificate and then return the item, those reward zone points are credited back to your account. So in a worst case scenario you are simply waiting a few weeks for a new certificate to be issued.

[quote name='BillyBob29']No you won't. If you use a reward zero certificate and then return the item, those reward zone points are credited back to your account. So in a worst case scenario you are simply waiting a few weeks for a new certificate to be issued.[/quote]

Actually, I've lost those credits at least twice. I have never had my points reissued back to my account.

back on topic, i'm really going to be raising hell with customer service for this BS false advertisement.

Did anyone really think that they were going to get the CD and 11 free Guitar Hero tracks for $10? Really? This is Metallica and Activision we're talking about.

Hey it's called a promotion so yes, free isn't out of the realm of possibility. Both Metallica and Guitar Hero have new products to market so slapping a CD together with a bonus seems natural. Most bands pack in a DVD or something.

No sign of my copy yet, but I'll be calling and returning my disc. If they refuse any compensation at the counter I have $200 worth of pre-orders I'm ready to forfeit. Their loss, I'll get it $1 cheaper at CC and buy the tracks on the marketplace for cheaper than the lame SE CD.

[quote name='autche']Actually, I've lost those credits at least twice. I have never had my points reissued back to my account.[/QUOTE]

Then you need to call them and see what is going on because it is a corporate policy to credit your reward zone account for points that were used on purchases you return. I've returned several items I bought with Reward zone points and the points have always been credited back to the reward zone account within a week and then a new certificate sent out shortly after.

About 6 months ago I had $50 in certificates that were about to expire and nothing I wanted to buy. Since you can't buy a gift card with the points, I simply bought a game and returned it a week later. The points were credited back and I got new certificates that were valid for another few months.

[quote name='BillyBob29']Then you need to call them and see what is going on because it is a corporate policy to credit your reward zone account for points that were used on purchases you return. I've returned several items I bought with Reward zone points and the points have always been credited back to the reward zone account within a week and then a new certificate sent out shortly after.

About 6 months ago I had $50 in certificates that were about to expire and nothing I wanted to buy. Since you can't buy a gift card with the points, I simply bought a game and returned it a week later. The points were credited back and I got new certificates that were valid for another few months.[/QUOTE]

This is new especially as points expire. Policy before was (and it was printed on old certificates) that the points and certificates were non-returnable once claimed.

On the CD front, I see lots of people jump or cry BBB too often, but this one is clearly something that needs to be addressed.

Slightly OT, but for anyone who cares about this sort of thing, the CD has some massive clipping issues, like almost all releases these days.
deathmagneticclippingio6.png

[quote name='Genocidal']Slightly OT, but for anyone who cares about this sort of thing, the CD has some massive clipping issues, like almost all releases these days.
deathmagneticclippingio6.png
[/quote]
i read about this yesterday... this seriously is unacceptable for a release that you have to pay money for... guys, rick rubin sucks (although, this probably was at the fault of the people mixing/mastering)

[quote name='Genocidal']Slightly OT, but for anyone who cares about this sort of thing, the CD has some massive clipping issues, like almost all releases these days. [/QUOTE]

Well if you listen to it you will hear that it wasnt mastered well at all. Better then St Anger was (or maybe not, maybe it was just recorded better and mixed the same shitty way).

Back on topic though, what was the Best Buy Exclusive track for GHIII? What you buy on the marketplace is the cd plus 2 more versions of Suicide and Redemption.

[quote name='MrNEWZ']This is new especially as points expire. Policy before was (and it was printed on old certificates) that the points and certificates were non-returnable once claimed.

On the CD front, I see lots of people jump or cry BBB too often, but this one is clearly something that needs to be addressed.[/QUOTE]

From Best Buy's Reward Zone terms of service:

"If you choose to cancel or return an order, points will be reissued to your Reward Zone program account within 3 to 5 days. If for some reason Best Buy must cancel your order, a digital coupon for the amount of the reward certificate will be e-mailed to you."

I know this policy has been in place for at least 2 years. The certificates have always been "non refundable for cash" and "not replaceable if lost or stolen."

are there any coupons someone can share with us? i'm not really a metallica fan and really just want the songs but if I can get the cd also for a few dollars more i'd like that. post a coupon available for use. appreciate it, thanks.

[quote name='KD34XBR960']1st post has been updated to reveal the official info on the Best Buy "Exclusive" tracks.[/QUOTE]

Ah so they really dont have exclusive songs at all then. Good lie Best Buy. I assume the Best Buy code actually has all 12 tracks that you get when you buy it from the marketplace.

[quote name='erectiontown']aside from the GH tracks, what's the difference between the special and regular editions?[/QUOTE]

I want to know that as well, but I'm going there in a few minutes to check it out anyway.

The Best Buy I went to had the album in both digipak and jewel case. I forgot to look for this so called Special Edition.

-HM

[quote name='autche']Actually, I've lost those credits at least twice. I have never had my points reissued back to my account.[/QUOTE]

If you do an exchange at the customer service counter, they will incorporate your reward certificate into your new purchase so you don't have to wait for the points to be added back to your account.

$30 is the sale price for that too, i dont understand how they could sell it for $40 regular price

DLC is 18
standard album 10

I feel ripped off had I not got it on sale, basically paid $2 more for the DLC in the end.

You guys DO realize that there is a second audio CD included in the special edition with demo cuts of every album right? And a few other goodies. I don't see how you can feel ripped off..

bread's done
Back