Best Buy Exclusive - The Hurt Locker with Mini Book Blu-ray SteelBook™ 1/12/10

I did in store pickup on Sunday night. I got en e-mail on Monday saying my order is ready on the 12th (don't pick it up before then). I got there today and they didn't have my item with my order. Had to go grab one to give to him.

some in store pickup.

Happened a few times to me too. Last time I was waiting like 8 minutes for one of their workers to go get Arrested Development since it wasn't in the designated pick-up area, then I said screw it, went downstairs and got it in less than 30 seconds. Ugh.

Despite my displeasure with the steel book being DVD size and my recent streak of saving money I ended up breaking down and buying it. I really enjoyed the movie and this seems to be pretty limited so I decided i'd secure my copy while I have a chance still.

It was down to just 2 stores in my area that have them in stock still.

Just got back from my Best Buy and they had NO steelbooks left and only two copies left of the regular bluray, and I bought one of those.
I had thought about getting the steel book at first, but the dvd sizing really turned me off from it and i'm not really into the steelbook thing anyway.

Also, picked up Moon while I was there and I got the LAST copy they had on the shelves.
Is anybody else having issues with stores in general not having enough inventory on release day?
Had the same problem with District 9; I had a hell of time finding a copy.

Yeah I went to my BB and they only had 2 reg copies and 1 Steelbook. I pre ordered it and I too had to go and get my copy cause guy didn't know where it was in the back.

I ended up getting my Blu-ray at Target. With a $10 target gift card, $10 Visa Gift card and $5 off coupon, it felt like it was free. ;)

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Has anyone seen this movie or Moon? Considering picking both up today.[/QUOTE]

I've seen both and I highly recommend The Hurt Locker. Definitely one of my top favorite movies of last year.

Moon was fairly good, but not one to pick up on day one until the price goes down. Definitely worth seeing at least as a rental.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']Has anyone seen this movie or Moon? Considering picking both up today.[/QUOTE]

Both are amazing. If you've got the money to spare, both are definitely worth a Day 1 purchase IMO. Realistically speaking though, general audiences like THL more than Moon.

Watch out about in-store pickup, last week they proved themselves incapable of figuring out the difference between the regular and limited edition Chuck seasons, even though they had different UPCs and different SKUs.

If you order this for in-store pickup, get your ass to the store FAST in case they screw up and pull the wrong thing, there doesn't seem to be any check for correctness when they grab whatever off the shelf.

Just picked it up at the Elk Grove, CA store. They had about 6 more on the shelf with the new releases. The book looks great, I hope more movies decide to go SteelBook route in the US.

I went and picked it up. The only reason I believe it was the full sized Steelbook was because of the Photo Book that came with it (size of a Xbox 360 Instruction Book) so it had to be a little bigger.

Was disapointed that they didn't do a digital copy as they had the room for a second disk in the case (filled with an adverstisment...)

HOLY **** this thing is sold OUT everywhere!!!

Damn, did Best Buy not have enough copies (Their FOOLISH mistake) or is it really that popular!?

[quote name='SuperJedi']HOLY **** this thing is sold OUT everywhere!!!

Damn, did Best Buy not have enough copies (Their FOOLISH mistake) or is it really that popular!?[/QUOTE]

Both.

Copies going as high as $70 on ebay! glad the hoarders couldn't get in on this. I'm going to Redbox the film and keep this baby sealed :)

Best Buy is stupid, should had MORE copies, and they would make more $$$

Also anyone smell a DOUBLE Dip on this? NO features on this, it seems!

Wonder if these $70 Ebay sales would really go thru? People are deserpate, but I wouldn't pay $70 HELL NO!!!

I almost was screwed out of my pre-ordered, BB.com in-store pickup order.

I received an email yesterday from BB.com about the order being ready for pickup tomorrow, which is the same email you'd get when the item is picked, save the "ready on 01/12/10" text.

I called the store with all of the issues people said they're having with getting them, and had the CS rep check to see if it was ready for pickup. As they looked, it wasn't. :shock: They went on to the floor and pulled the last copy for my in-store pickup order.

Glad I checked, otherwise, it wouldn't have been waiting for me.

Well, I'm assuming it's waiting for me, as I need to run by there and pick it up.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SuperJedi']HOLY **** this thing is sold OUT everywhere!!!

Damn, did Best Buy not have enough copies (Their FOOLISH mistake) or is it really that popular!?[/QUOTE]

Probably it had to split between amaray & steelbook during the first run, thats why both have limited copies. Amaray should have more copies for the second run.

glad you almost have it Shrike!

I just have to share my crazy story and I'll try and be brief. So, as I mentioned before I totally missed going by and picking this up so I frantically started to do an in-store pickup. Well, my first order gets instantaneously cancelled! second order, same thing. Saying my "information cannot be verified" Simple enough, I try to use PayPal, the tranaction doesn't even register. Call BB, order over phone, cancelled w/ Rep on phone. Hang up, call again, this time .Com side. Order cancelled again! "Well sir, it's b/c your RZ card isn't under your name" I said "BS, I placed 20 orders before X-mas w/ no problems." So, removed the RZ card, tried two more times w/ 2 different credit cards and did paypal 3 more times. I certainly made sure my billing info was correct, etc. I tried calling at least 6 times to get a supervisor to figure out what was going on, they said its a problem w/ my bank. Called bank, said no problems, BB hadn't even tried to authorize anything!! So, all-in-all tried to order the thing about 15 times w/ no luck AND still waiting on a call from customer service.

The silver lining is that one rep felt sorry for me, but I was being really nice at that point, and actually called the store where they verified the SteelBook and held it for my wife to get there. So, yeah, what a crazy experience and I'm not quite sure its resolved...

Completely sold out in IA - a few copies show up in W Omaha

Got my 2 in store pickups in Des Moines and Ankeny IA a little while ago. Stores were all sold out by 4:30 PM so if not for the in store pickup I would have missed it.

Didn't even see the regular BD at any locations

The one on the Best Buy site that says Hurt Locker Exclusive Blu-ray Packaging With Mini Book - Blu-ray Disc is the Steelbook? Or Only a few of them are Steebook and rest are exclusive cover with normal packaging? It is saying it is in-stock near me so I might take a shot with in-store pickup if that is indeed the Steelbook.

[quote name='token2k6']you've got the right one goldeneye..Exclusive BD Packaging is a synonym for SteelBook in this case..[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I took a shot and ordered one. But with it being late in the day they probably haven't updated there inventory and it will most likely be out of stock when they go to send me the pickup confirmation. Worth a shot. I've seen the movie already. The movie is definitely in my top 5 for the year. But with lack of features I'd pass and wait for another release if it wasn't for the limited release SteelBook.

I was surprised my store only had 2 SteelBooks. The store is pretty popular...

P.S. I'm watching it right now.

Also, anyone want to buy it off me? :p

all stores in milwaukee area sold out of every copy of this movie.. stupid.

I never buy new release movies but I missed this one in the theater and was willing to pay full price.

Now they lose the sale to netflix.. i'll just wait.

Stupid, best buy.

Got off a friend working at the Lakewood branch, they said they only had one come in. He got it for me along with his employee discount.

That said, this looks like real limited stuff.

judging from the ebay listings, i think that hoarders helped drive the sell-outs. the movie is picking up steam from the award noms, but before that, it wasn't on many people's radars. unless the people who were keyed in on THL before the release all happen to be the collector's crowd, i would lean on hoarders as the explanation.

anyway, tangent over, i picked up mine; thanks, OP.

I don't know... haven't seen the movie, is it really good?

I think this Steelbook ordeal is getting really overrated... for THIS movie.

That's what I don't like!

I really HOPE (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE) NO one pays more than $25 for this ... just pay $20 and get it at Target/Amazon/Wal-mart w/o the SB.

Yes Steelbook is COOL and all, but definitely isn't worth $20+!!!

Anyway, I hope they have a 3D Steelbook for AVATAR!!! I will LINE UP for that!!! :D

I didn't care about the steelbook I just wanted a copy, period.

I had $20 in reward zone from christmas presents so I'm not wanting to go somewhere else..

Jer, if you're willing to purchase it w/out the gift card, I just picked up a copy at the Target on Chase Ave. (And two other Targets I hit yesterday were sold out, along with the BB at Mayfair).

thanks ben - netflix is actually shipping it to me tomorrow so I'm gonna save my dollars!

I picked mine up yesterday that I used in-store pick up for on Tuesday night. Without a problem shockingly. They had no SteelBooks or regular versions of the Blu-ray in stock. Like the post above said it is back in stock online with a 15-21 day estimate arrival date.

I ordered mine for pickup in store last Saturday after I caved when I found out no digital copy. Got a pickup notice on Monday night saying it would be available for me in store starting Tuesday. Went today to pick it up and surprisingly didn't have any problems. Now the Dollhouse Season 1 Blu-Ray order that I made the same day, well that's a different story....

Hurt Locker Steelbook

This is specifically meant for US - since the Bluray (same as the bluray logo printed in front of it) disc & movie information is part of the steelbook art printed at the back of it and not just a silly paper sleeve.

:D This release is Weird yet Admirable (in a different way)

1. First Summit released steelbook in North America
2. First Bluray with a dvd sized steelbook that has printed Bluray logo
3. The Movie is not bad, its actually good blindbuy movie
4. Steelbook collectors dislike it because its a Bluray in G1 Steelbook
5. Its superbly rare/limited in quantity

For info those who saw and feels theres hope after seeing the ability to order online:

Limited Store Exclusives normally are pulled of from various Bestbuy Stores. Its virtually available in the website but not physically.

What happens:

- The 15-21 backorder status is the ETA of time that Bestbuy.com's warehouse researching it from store who still has it in stock.
- Once found - first point of shipment would be from the store it was found to bestbuy return center then ship to the one who ordered it:

Sample packaging (it may vary) - check out the "Bestbuy Return Center"

iaml2.jpg

So the dillemma here..

Yes, chances are you get what you order
Yes, its the steelbook
Yes, chances are you get a possible DENTED package (after numerous point of shipment)
LETS HOPE its properly and securely packaged

Oh...

The Demand went a notched up - After winning the coveted awards at last night's Critics Choice Awards (Best Director & Best Picture)

Wow, I can't believe they are going for so much. I've got one and now I'm tempted to dump it. Even the open ones are going for $65+.

[quote name='halvorsb']Wow, I can't believe they are going for so much. I've got one and now I'm tempted to dump it. Even the open ones are going for $65+.[/QUOTE]
wouldn't you rather sell it to someone like me for $45 shipped where they will appreciate the film and packaging altogether ;p

still kicking myself for not picking this up when it was regular priced. i don't care about the upsale i just didn't expect it to get this bad-- in the way of getting my hands on a copy

Hell I never had a chance to even pick it up. Every place was sold out around me. I was going to get the BD but for the price even though it is a good movie I can't bite. The price is to high for what little extras are on it. I will hold off till it drops below 20 if that ever happens or they rerealse it with more extras.

bread's done
Back