Best Buy fails at in store pickup

kev

CAGiversary!
So, I've used BBs in store pick up twice now. The first time I got no email after 4 hours so I just went in. It took 2 hours at the store for them to find the item.

So, this morning I figured I'd try again with Guitar Hero. Well, I'm now sitting on hour 2 with no email. I could have just gone 10 mins early and waited in line but I figured "nah, they must have it working right by now..."

Boy was I wrong. This is from 2 different BB stores too. Guess I'm done with them for buying day 1 items.

Fire off a email to their CS bitching about how horrible the in-store pickup service was. If anything, the stores will get bitched at for taking so long.

I stopped using in store pickup a long time ago. It amazes me how Best Buy can constantly screw up something so simple.

On average, it probably took me 3x as long to complete an in store pickup transaction as it would have for me to just go in and find the product myself........but doing in store pickup does allow you to park in the front row "for instore pickup customers only" parking spaces. ;)

Isn't the whole point of the confirmation email to tell you when it's ready to be picked up? If you didn't get the email I don't see why you would expect them to have the product ready and waiting for you.

As for GH, I'm not sure why you didn't just go in to the store. If you wanted to skip the lines maybe you should've pre-ordered it?

I thought they have a guarantee where you get a gift card or something for it not being ready within X amount of time...

I seem to remember people placing in-store pickup orders from the computers inside Best Buy in order to make sure they don't have it ready in time.

yea it's a gift card (but I forget how much). Some stores have this wierd clock timer at CS. I really wonder who is in charge of monitoring the web orders for in store pick up?

good luck getting the gift cards at least here.

They demand your drivers licence the email showing to pick up the item. They then go back and search for it. When they find it and enter all of theinfo into the computer they hit the clock timer...

total BS

[quote name='slidecage']They demand your drivers licence the email showing to pick up the item. They then go back and search for it. When they find it and enter all of theinfo into the computer they hit the clock timer...[/quote]

wat

You get the card only if it isn't ready after they send the email. The reason it ticks me off it that it says the average wait is 45 minutes. How the heck can it take 5 times longer than that to find a Guitar Hero box that is freaking gigantic?

CC gives you something if it isn't ready in 24 minutes, period.

The reason I didn't just go in was that the ad said minimum 4 per store and the local store, while heavily trafficked, is pretty small. I figured I'd just make sure one was there when I got there.

Interestingly, I did get the email shortly after my initial post (2 hrs, 30 mins total wait). I went in and the item wasn't at pick up, they had to send someone out to the floor to go get it...

same here with online in store pickup never got email ,called BB online and they guy told me the item was not in stock even though my friend was looking at it in the store the rep said "yes even though the item is sitting on the store self the in store pickup from the online section doesn't apply to the items in the front of the store and there is a separate inventory for the online part" yes i did ask him "well can't you just grab the item off the self and make a note of it?" He informed me that in a perfect world yes but there policy states NO.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Don't you get something when they fuck up?[/QUOTE]

As others have said, CC does that. $24 gift card if it's not ready for pickup in 24 minutes. I've nailed them SO many times on that. Order something, then leave to go pick it up right away...at least at the 3 CCs in my area, 4 out of 5 times they won't have it behind the counter despite it being more than 24 minutes. They call on the phone or walkie talkie or whatever for someone to go get it, I'll ask them why it isn't on the shelf behind them with the rest of the pick-up items, and all but once I was given a card - and the one time I was not was because the higher-up said "it's 24 minutes from when we get it in our system, not from when you order it" (which is bullshit because it SAYS right on the confirmation that it is 24 minutes from the timestamp on your order confirmation printout). I've gotten 4 or 5 of the gift cards in the last year alone.

If you find an inept Circuit City, it's a nice little trick to invoke once in a while.

I have only had BB screw up an in-store pickup once, and that was about a year ago, just before Christmas, I believe.

I got the confirmation email, arrived at the store about 20 minutes later, and they never pulled it. There was no augument or anything, the clerk took $10 or $15 bucks off the Dexter S1 DVD set (I forget the exact discount and price, but it ended up being $15 in the end).

I have never had an instore pickup go well with Circuit City. The last time I did was was 7-7-07, I believe. (I know that, not by the interesting date, but I looked up the post I made about the events.)

I'll present it here, but spoiler tag it, because it is long.
The background to the story is I had ordered one of those A/C units that stands alone and vents, via tube, out the window. I did an instore pickup order and waited two hours. Never received the email that the order was ready to be picked up. I called the store, was passed around a few times and was disconnected repeatedly. The rest is cop/pasted from the post I made that day.

"So I call the store to check on my order - and they tell me that once it is placed, it'll be ready within 24 minutes. So I ask for them to check, as I never received an email. As I give her the order number, I wisely decide to get into the van and head up there (maybe 10 mins away). As I'm driving up, they keep putting me on hold, and passing me around to other CSRs to repeat the conversation until I am finally disconnected.

Mistakes happen, so I call back. The woman answering immediately knew I what I was looking up when I told her I was just checking on an order. She puts me on hold...and I get disconnected again!

Okay, my good will is being pushed, as the fat black woman that lives in my head says, "Oh no, she didn't!" and the gay man that lives beneath her replies, "She sure did, girlfriend!" One more red light, and then I'm pulling in and walking into the store.

The store is pretty empty, so I wait at customer service for several minutes before an employee walks up. I explain I am picking up an online order and give her my paperwork. She checks it out and calls someone asking if it had been pulled - it hadn't yet. The gay man in my head begins to cower from the ebon wrath brewing above.

"I just called," I say as pleasantly as I can, as customers are starting to approach to pay for their purchases, "and not only was I informed several times that onlines orders take only 24 minutes - and I have been waiting two hours - but that you knew what I was looking for and were going to pull it." A manager and another employee are called over, asking what happened to my order. Again, within earshot, I hear that it wasn't pulled, as the first employee was stepping through the chain-of-events to the manager. The manager asks "How long ago did he place the order? There's a 24 minute window." I interupt and present my controversial theory that 2 hrs is longer than 24 minutes, and the manager and employees talk amongst themselves and all but the first employee leave.

She then rings me up and has me sign my paperwork as my item is being brought up. She tells me to bring my car around and they'll load me up. She hands me my receipt and says, "Have a nice day" and begins to walk away.

"Hold on!" I stop her, "My order was over 24 minutes; I AM getting a gift card." With a flick of the wrist, I then throw my receipt and print-outs over the counter.

"And my name ISN'T Stephanie!"

Trying to blow me off without the gift card was one thing. Stapling my signature to someone else's receipt and paperwork was the final straw. Manager is back up at the counter, now as they search for my receipt - which they JUST printed off minutes before! Manager finally says, "Give him the card" and takes off. So I had to endure another five minutes as the employee had to call around to figure out how to do the gift card before I was finally able to load my van and get out of there.

I have a rule: Be nice to reail people. They have a crappy job, but I do not suffer fools gladly."

I think I have only been back to CC once after that, and not to that store. That was not the first time I had CC screw up an instore pickup - they have done it every time (usually, it's an item not pulled or someone grabbed the wrong thing). In the above case, I'd understand if the store was busy, but it was pretty empty, so I don't see why everything took so long. (It is amusing to me that, while looking up the post I quoted above, I was reminded about the time before that when I received an phone call - not an email - that my item was ready to be picked up, only to drive up to the store and find out that the item was out of stock.)

Just my exprience, but BB has nailed it everytime for me, even during the holiday season.

They always email me and let me know its ready fairly quickly.

Getting my stuff once at the store is another story. Damn there is always 10 people in the friggin line returning stuff with no reciepts or some other crap that takes 10 years.

CC store pickup is way faster for me.

[quote name='kev']You get the card only if it isn't ready after they send the email. The reason it ticks me off it that it says the average wait is 45 minutes. How the heck can it take 5 times longer than that to find a Guitar Hero box that is freaking gigantic?[/quote]

It is quite possible they have more requests than they can deal with in a 45 minute window. Once I had my email in about 45 minutes, the other time it was 2 1/2 hours.

Then again, I'm in retail management, so I probably am more understanding than most when it comes to stuff like this.

You get a $10 giftcard but the timer does not start until they enter your info into the register. They do not enter your info until they have your item. I waited 45 minutes one day and they told me I do not get a gift card since they never scanned my printout (that they held in their hand for 45 minutes). On 2 occasions I have ordered the item, received the confirmation email, received the store confirmation that the item was pulled and the item was either out of stock or not pulled yet. Both times took over 30 minutes and no giftcards to be seen.

You're supposed to wait for the email, you went before the email got sent so of course they didn't have it ready. Every once in awhile i'll run into a problem with in store pick up but since they ship for free if they can't find it really is no big deal to me.

I emailed customer service and posted on the new BB.com message boards. This morning I got the following email. Let's just say, my 2 hour wait was worth it.

---

Dear Kevin:

A credit in the amount of $50.00 has been applied to the order you placed on 10/26/2008. You are receiving this credit because you were not satisfied with your purchase.

Get more information on this order by checking your order status.

You can also call us toll-free at 1-888-BEST BUY (1-888-237-8289) with any questions.

For faster service, tell us the order number when you contact us.

Thank You.
Best Buy Customer Care

I tried the in-store pickup at my local Bestbuy once and i was waiting in line for almost an hour!! Thats bullshit!

bread's done
Back